Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

I thought this game when it ever comes out is a F2P. Yet all those that donate for a game that has never come out yet and may never come out. If it does come out I'll play then, but I never count my chickens.

They've reportedly got an awful lot of disgruntled ex-employees. And some disgruntled current employees.

What if I get one of the ones that was a source for The Escapist that thinks it's a cluster fuck shithole? What if I get one that thinks it's a cluster fuck shithole but wouldn't say anything negative about it because they need the job? Or are worried about their reputation and future employment?

What a bizarre statement. What gamer is jealous of game companies? Makes no sense. It makes sense that Derek Smart might be jealous of CRs ability to raise funds (not ability to release a great game anytime in the last decade, since CR hasn't done that). Doesn't make a whole lot of sense for me to be jealous, since I'm not and never will be a game dev.

What you're seeing is not jealousy. What you're seeing is sadness that according to numerous sources CR is pissing away the money we all gave him at an alarming rate which could mean the game will never materialize as promised.

I thought my sarcasm was obvious, but wasn't even the "Doh!" at the end enough to show it? ;)

I thought this game when it ever comes out is a F2P. Yet all those that donate for a game that has never come out yet and may never come out. If it does come out I'll play then, but I never count my chickens.

You buy the game and that is it. No other fees. How realistic it is to play the PU without buying credits or ships with real money remains to be seen.

That is priceless. Oh no! I used the word "semen" (not even a vulgar colloquialism) and it offended a doctor (or whatever your job is, I'm sure you'll remind us soon enough). "All that vulgarity", lol!

No coherent arguments, so attack the person instead. Got it.

So this thread was created 3 years ago and still no "game" other than a hanger simulator lol.......How much more time will this take until I get play it???

So this thread was created 3 years ago and still no "game" other than a hanger simulator lol.......How much more time will this take until I get play it???

Depends on what you want to play, You can fly around and kill Players and Vanduul right now.

Star Marine is Soon™

Large World Map aka Baby PU is Soon™ after Star Marine (last mention of when was end of October for the large world map, but you have to take Chris Roberts release timelines and throw them away so it could come out then or it might not)

Sorry, your post was more reasonable than any Lorien or Wildace have made, so I assumed it was sincere. :)

Now that is scary :eek: I shouldn't be surprised, I guess, seeing how the Reddit SC crowd acts. Any criticism or question raising is met with pitchforks.

I'm glad to see they are going after the Escapist on Sandi's behalf. The fact they slandered her in that way is unforgivable. Outside of a verifiable email or tape recording there is realistically no way someone can prove that ever happened and anyone calling themselves a journalist should know better than to print something like that.

Honestly, it reminds me of Infinium Labs going after KB Networks.

Now that is scary :eek: I shouldn't be surprised, I guess, seeing how the Reddit SC crowd acts. Any criticism or question raising is met with pitchforks.

Was just glancing at the subreddit this morning, it's comedy how Borg-like they are. Even just benign or neutral comments like "Well let's wait and see" is immediately drowned into downvote oblivion by the swarm. Today it seems like they've quickly latched onto this ID card kerfuffle as though it disproves the entire Escapist article. And they're getting sexually charged over CIG's sabre-rattling about "possible legal action" against the media co. that owns Escapist, as if it would be a slam dunk case. I'm not sure playing chicken in this way is something CIG really wants if even part of the story or the alleged ex-employee accounts are true, as it could expose even more dirty laundry.

In any case, if nothing else hopefully all this drama lights a fire under CIG's ass to start producing deliverables a little faster now, just to prove the critics wrong.

Looks like we have the modern day successor the Duke Nukem vaporware throne?!?!? What do you think guys? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Was just glancing at the subreddit this morning, it's comedy how Borg-like they are. Even just benign or neutral comments like "Well let's wait and see" is immediately drowned into downvote oblivion by the swarm. Today it seems like they've quickly latched onto this ID card kerfuffle as though it disproves the entire Escapist article. And they're getting sexually charged over CIG's sabre-rattling about "possible legal action" against the media co. that owns Escapist, as if it would be a slam dunk case. I'm not sure playing chicken in this way is something CIG really wants if even part of the story or the alleged ex-employee accounts are true, as it could expose even more dirty laundry.

In any case, if nothing else hopefully all this drama lights a fire under CIG's ass to start producing deliverables a little faster now, just to prove the critics wrong.

Many of them are still pretending that everything was cut and pasted off glass door and there is zero evidence that there's any reason to be concerned. Just sticking their head in the sand.

Did you intend to quote Lorien's post?

Not quite, I actually meant to quote / should have quoted his prior comment:

constructed a SC shrine in your home with an effigy of Roberts fashioned from scrunched-up newspaper and your own semen doesn't mean you have any more credibility than someone like Smart, let alone those slightly less unhinged people who might have criticisms of the project.

When someone is so heavily invested in the product and seemingly disregards any strong criticism, calling it out (in a colorful way, granted) is not a personal attack.

Yet more arguments with no legs as they have very little if any research to back them up so it's understandable to attack the person rather than the message. That's why I pointed out the vulgarity.

For a token of the poor bandwagon attacks and research look at the facebook screenshot with people criticizing CIG. See Elijah McNeal spewing bitterness in his posts? He is one of the employees that was fired. Why was he fired? I was on chatroll when he while drunk was harrasing other citizens calling them c-*-*-t-s and other expletives and females in particular while other developers were there chatting/interacting with the community. He was "looking for a roommate" and was asking "female citizens to send him pictures of themselves if they were interested". Like I said I was there I saw it happen live. I and many other people screencapped it and sent the picture to a moderator that same night. Shortly after he was let go (sadly I deleted the screenshot after he was fired).

That's just a token of actual facts, not hearsay, not articles from third party websites that you are obviously not interested in researching. I don't expect you to stop tho so carry on with the vitriol. :)

P.S: My favorite Harlan Ellison quote once again seems appropriate here:

Everybody has opinions: I have them, you have them. And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, that’s horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, it’s nothing. It’s just bibble-babble. It’s like a fart in a wind tunnel

I'll let you get back to your wind tunnels now :D

Last edited:
Yet more arguments with no legs as they have very little if any research to back them up so it's understandable to attack the person rather than the message.

That's funny, you could just as easily be talking about the first part of Chris's tantrum/letter to The Escapist. Personal attacks on the sources rather than proof.

Looks like we have the modern day successor the Duke Nukem vaporware throne?!?!? What do you think guys? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

The difference between this and DNF is that DNF actually saw the light of day. SC will not, at least as promised. Best case scenario is that it will be another Battlecruiser 3000 A.D. - with $900 individual ships and $15K packages that are nigh useless.

Can we keep the anti-SC trolling confined to the FPN thread? Certain users in here pulling double duty threadcrapping both threads is getting to be a bit much...

Discussion of this doesn't belong in the Games forum thread.

Actually, it does. This isn't strictly a pro-SC thread.

If we have issues with the development of SC then we have just as much right as you and others to post here.

Actually, it does. This isn't strictly a pro-SC thread.

If we have issues with the development of SC then we have just as much right as you and others to post here.

Except 95% of the posts are now about bashing CR or bashing SC fans, NOT about the game itself. So, no, those posts don't belong here. If you want to praise/criticize/discuss actual aspects of the game, cool. Otherwise, you are threadcrapping.

Nonsense. Anything relative to the development of the game and the possibility that there won't be a game has just as much right to be here. Especially since there are very little "actual aspects of the game" to discuss.

Nonsense. Anything relative to the development of the game and the possibility that there won't be a game has just as much right to be here. Especially since there are very little "actual aspects of the game" to discuss.

There are new things to discuss on a weekly basis, and there will likely be a lot of discussion on the 10th, but because you are a biased troll you will never see that.

(incoming biased fanboy comment in 3, 2, 1...)

Can we keep the anti-SC trolling confined to the FPN thread? Certain users in here pulling double duty threadcrapping both threads is getting to be a bit much...

Discussion of this doesn't belong in the Games forum thread.

I am a backer. I have just as much right to discuss my concerns with actual progress of the game as you do to excitedly devour conceptual progress.

If I am incorrect about this, I am sure our team of moderators and administrators will set me straight.

I am a backer. I have just as much right to discuss my concerns with actual progress of the game as you do to excitedly devour conceptual progress.

If I am incorrect about this, I am sure our team of moderators and administrators will set me straight.

it is fine to voice concerns, but the constant thread crapping by some of the people around here is getting beyond the normal point of "concerns" and is more like trolling.

I am sure if i bring up the topic of the unannounced ship being sold on the 10th. at citizencon, which is an unseen ship to speculate what it could be, or what we would like it to be, you will see frankie in here remarking how they are selling more .jpgs or some other shenanigans to suit his own agenda for his dislike of the star citizen business model and then resort to calling backers part of a cult because they dont follow his same view on the subject or claim we think CR is some sort of god.

I think i just summed up how 90% of frankies posts around here go.

I just want an amazing space game, why must we have all of this drama all of the sudden :(.

The game snowballed after kickstarter, going from a much smalle rgame to something much bigger with fps, land, etc. A lot of games that don't even encompass multiple playstyles (IE no flying + fps) can have 4-5 year development cycles.

Hell look at fallout 4.

I never expected this game to be done that soon, especailly once we knew we'd be getting so much.

Do I think they might have could have held back on the "feature creep" a bit? Yes.

Do I think they are pissing it all away and don't plan to finish the game? No, they are one of the few kickstarter things I've backed that constantly show progress in terms of development news, blogs, art, etc.

Hell there's other games I've backed that are over 2+ years past their schedule (Without anything being added to them) that are lucky to get an update every 4 months or so.

I am sure if i bring up the topic of the unannounced ship being sold on the 10th. at citizencon, which is an unseen ship to speculate what it could be, or what we would like it to be, you will see frankie in here remarking how they are selling more .jpgs or some other shenanigans to suit his own agenda for his dislike of the star citizen business model and then resort to calling backers part of a cult because they dont follow his same view on the subject or claim we think CR is some sort of god.

This post seems an awful lot like trolling to me, Wildace.

I just want an amazing space game, why must we have all of this drama all of the sudden :(.

The game snowballed after kickstarter, going from a much smalle rgame to something much bigger with fps, land, etc. A lot of games that don't even encompass multiple playstyles (IE no flying + fps) can have 4-5 year development cycles.

Hell look at fallout 4.

I never expected this game to be done that soon, especailly once we knew we'd be getting so much.

Do I think they might have could have held back on the "feature creep" a bit? Yes.

Do I think they are pissing it all away and don't plan to finish the game? No, they are one of the few kickstarter things I've backed that constantly show progress in terms of development news, blogs, art, etc.

Hell there's other games I've backed that are over 2+ years past their schedule (Without anything being added to them) that are lucky to get an update every 4 months or so.

Pretty much sums up my feelings as well. I didn't put a ton of money into it but I would love to see it succeed and revitalize the genre.

it is fine to voice concerns, but the constant thread crapping by some of the people around here is getting beyond the normal point of "concerns" and is more like trolling.

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it thread crapping. When numerous articles all come out in short succession many of which allege serious problems at CIG, there is going to be discussion about it. The logical place for that discussion is here.

If there aren't more articles in the pipeline I'm sure the discussion will die down and you guys can go back to writing your SC fan fiction.

I am sure if i bring up the topic of the unannounced ship...

Pretty accurate description of his modus operandi

P.S: Now for some real content. We have now confirmation through the response letter to the escapist that the cast of actors for SQ42 will be revealed at CitizenCon in a few days. And we also have confirmation that at least one old favorite cast member from Wing Commander will be returning. My gut wants it to be John Rys Davis but I'll be glad to see any one of them.

Now for Squadron 42 we do have a really great cast, which we will announce in a week from Saturday

Last edited:
Can't wait! Honestly Squadron 42 is probably what I'm looking forward to the most.

Yet more arguments with no legs as they have very little if any research to back them up so it's understandable to attack the person rather than the message. That's why I pointed out the vulgarity.

For a token of the poor bandwagon attacks and research look at the facebook screenshot with people criticizing CIG. See Elijah McNeal spewing bitterness in his posts? He is one of the employees that was fired. Why was he fired? I was on chatroll when he while drunk was harrasing other citizens calling them c-*-*-t-s and other expletives and females in particular while other developers were there chatting/interacting with the community. He was "looking for a roommate" and was asking "female citizens to send him pictures of themselves if they were interested". Like I said I was there I saw it happen live. I and many other people screencapped it and sent the picture to a moderator that same night. Shortly after he was let go (sadly I deleted the screenshot after he was fired).

That's just a token of actual facts, not hearsay, not articles from third party websites that you are obviously not interested in researching. I don't expect you to stop tho so carry on with the vitriol. :)

Ah, so he's a dick therefore anything he says regarding the working conditions is BS. Derek Smart is a jealous troll, therefore any issue he raises is to be ignored. Lizzy is just Smart's sockpuppet, so any info she uncovers is 100% wrong. CR's response is more of a personal rant/personal attack than a serious rebuttal of issues raised.

I'm beginning to see a pattern in SC apologists MO.

btw I'm not in the "it's a scam that'll soon crash and burn" camp, but as a backer with valid and informed concerns I sure as hell find blind zealots and defenders at all cost even more annoying.

I think Sverebom's analysis makes a lot more sense, but it's been almost completely ignored of course because skeptics and fanboys alike would rather fight amongst themselves. But that's just my opinion...

I think Sverebom's analysis makes a lot more sense, but it's been almost completely ignored of course because skeptics and fanboys alike would rather fight amongst themselves. But that's just my opinion...

Maybe because it has a few valid points buried in a mountain of high school level logic. Also, no definite conclusions can be drawn from either the articles or CR's response, other than there are some important issues worthy of further investigation and scepticism. What definitely isn't warranted is total dismissal and blind faith that many in the SC community show when they try to shut down opposing views.

And constant mention of Derek Smart in response to any criticism is very, very annoying at this point.

Agreed here. I, as well as most others here, have invested a good amount of time and money into SC. We should be able to voice and discuss concerns -- those concerns are indivisible from the regular discussion on features, options, availability etc. in my view.

As a side note, we all knew there would be a tipping point when backers (and outside observers) started to expect actual results/product for their time/effort/money, and started to realize the model of paying for theoretical gameplay and digital models only works for so long. This is what we're seeing now, IMO.

And constant mention of Derek Smart in response to any criticism is very, very annoying at this point.

Why? Its the most entertaining aspect of this entire drama...

Yg9id3Q.jpg

Back