Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

Ah I see, didn't catch that. Yeah, was at the party in LA when they were showing it off and bought it there.

Ya, I have it in the store too. I keep asking to have it removed from the store, its just soo tempting.

lol, just doooo it haha.

I had to cancel my gamescom trip, talk about a f up on my end., the one ships design I've been drooling over for 2+ years. I'm my way out the country since I had taken vacation time anyway, double wammy. I have my friend coming to the Manchester event though, we are going to do a week long trip around England and see stonehenge. Hopefully they give us a badge to buy something cool there. :)

I was quite impressed with the scripted demo video, haven't watched any of the livestreams yet.

Interesting what they chose to do with the Retaliator and the modules - but wasn't it supposed to be the Constellation that was super-customizable?

I was quite impressed with the scripted demo video, haven't watched any of the livestreams yet.

Interesting what they chose to do with the Retaliator and the modules - but wasn't it supposed to be the Constellation that was super-customizable?

I think it's still under heavy revamp from what I saw on a recent dev interview. It was one of he ones James does that they spot into AtV. After seeing the tali stuff, I'd guess we'll see modules for it when the rework is complete.

Originally we were not supposed to get modularity before release, meaning you used what was in your variant and it was pretty static aside from standard equipment like sensor, weapons, shields, power plants ect.

But now they are actually doing the modularity system before release so all large ships will have some sort of modularity, for the retaliator it is swapping out the 2 bomb bays for either cargo capacity, or living area, or troop transporting ect.

We don't know what all the connies interior can be turned into as of yet since it is in redesign.

Last i heard tho there were 18 modules for the Retaliator.

Is there a link to specs explaining how the module system works for the retaliator? Presumably there are limited module spaces to utilize.

So I melted my super hornet and got the base tali. Pretty dam stoked that they put in a tauris model of the tali up and then build it up from there. As of now, I'm done getting ships (unless I can CCU the milt-spec tali into my LTI package). Cant wait to see what the other modular parts are for the ship.

Is it bad that I keep waffling between thinking this will all be a miserable failure, and wanting to buy all the ships?

My Connie isn't really suited for dogfighting, so I better get a Hornet. But I found in games like Freespace that I preferred the fast interceptors, so better pick up an M50 too. The Tali is very much like what I wished the Connie would be when I made my initial pledge, so let's pick up one of those. And then there's that sexy, sexy 890 Jump. And if I've got all the other cool big ships, might as well round it out with an Idris.

Fortunately for my finances, I haven't spent a dime on Star Citizen beyond my initial pledge. Unless, that is, you count burning an AMD coupon for a Mustang rather than selling or otherwise redeeming it. It's hard to think about spending > $100 on virtual ships that I can earn in game and may never be fully realized if CR doesn't rein in the feature creep. This demo does lend a lot more evidence to the optimists though.

Oh, and that high-end HOTAS setup looks interesting, but it's hard not to remember the bad taste my X52 left me with. I might not order one of those until there's positive word-of-mouth from customers who have it in hand.

Whats the current state of the game? Haven't followed it in quite some time.

Pretty good demo last night warts and all. Still a ways out for a "release" project. That's the short version. Should be able to find the youtube vids easily showcasing the ideas of space flight and FPS. The event was gamescom.

What a nice surprise this morning, Amazon said my DX Racer was shipping from California, with free Expedited shipping, so i was expecting it some time next week, amazon still only shows it as shipped but i put the tracking number in FedEx site when i woke up to check on it as well

Ship date :
Fri 8/07/2015
WHITMORE LAKE, MI US

Estimated delivery :
Sat 8/08/2015
MONROE, MI US

I feel like i hit the online shipping jackpot lol.

Is it bad that I keep waffling between thinking this will all be a miserable failure, and wanting to buy all the ships?

My Connie isn't really suited for dogfighting, so I better get a Hornet. But I found in games like Freespace that I preferred the fast interceptors, so better pick up an M50 too. The Tali is very much like what I wished the Connie would be when I made my initial pledge, so let's pick up one of those. And then there's that sexy, sexy 890 Jump. And if I've got all the other cool big ships, might as well round it out with an Idris.

Fortunately for my finances, I haven't spent a dime on Star Citizen beyond my initial pledge. Unless, that is, you count burning an AMD coupon for a Mustang rather than selling or otherwise redeeming it. It's hard to think about spending > $100 on virtual ships that I can earn in game and may never be fully realized if CR doesn't rein in the feature creep. This demo does lend a lot more evidence to the optimists though.

Oh, and that high-end HOTAS setup looks interesting, but it's hard not to remember the bad taste my X52 left me with. I might not order one of those until there's positive word-of-mouth from customers who have it in hand.

I think you will find the connie is what you envisioned it to be. It is a space superiority ship, and the multi crew demo was staged in that the connie crew was actually told not to fight back when they replayed the demo.

and i doubt they have had a serious balance pass.

It was more proof of concept than an actual outcome.

also the connie was outgunned from the beginning as well, its supposed to be a match for 3 hornets, not 1 hornet a gladius and a retaliator, thats not to say it couldnt win the fight if it was allowed to fight back and actually use all its missiles in a pinch.

Also don't worry about getting more ships, we have plenty in the Org that we formed here, in fact we need more crew most likely. So there would always be a place for you on one of our 4 Idrii or other multi crew ships, youll likely never have to worry about not being able to be part of a crew on the ship of your choice.

Last edited:
Just watched about 45 min of the Gamescom presentation. It's been a while since I've checked in on it (I was one of the initial pledgers), but this game is looking incredible.

Did they show off the HOTAS yet? I'd like to see it.

Was posted a few pages back

If they make the high end ones follow the same Manufacture skin system as the low end ones, i want to get High End Anvil Joystick (tho i do like the grey/red color of the Aegis as well), and Anvil keyboard, assuming its a decent mechanical keyboard, i will go all out, tho i will keep my Razer Naga mouse (love the keypad on the side) and use my own headset, I really like the feature of the Keyboard being modular and you can pull the key pad off the right side of it, to shrink the profile/footprint of it on your desk combined with having the throttle and joysitcks on either side.

qvHjnVP.png

eMibZ2f.png

PmHFxMB.png

hmkQmXS.png

Edit on a side note, my Online shipping lottery win paid off, the chair i orderd yesterday showed up today.

Very impressed with the build quality, and just how easy it was to put together.

VFEhazk.jpg

d7sJDrf.jpg

Last edited:
So anyone that has a Scythe that prefers the Glaive can get a free swap to the Glaive if they choose to do it.

They are also going to flag those accounts that bought Scythes so they can purchase a glaive outright

Been Posted a couple comments about the Glaive in a thread where someone was asking for scythe owners to be able to CCU to them along with the rest of his rants.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5410089/#Comment_5410089

8ctaQvc.jpg

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5410200/#Comment_5410200
hvP1tQM.jpg

Also this

i3vITEt.jpg

Last edited:
I like my buddy's take on the official Star Citizen controller. It will be two mice.

Stop rubbing my nose in it!

I just spent all day trying to get my TM Cougar HOTAS running on Win7.

If you need help let me know, I've been able to do the first 15 waves by myself. So I could probably get even a moderate player to wave 18.

I think you will find the connie is what you envisioned it to be. It is a space superiority ship, and the multi crew demo was staged in that the connie crew was actually told not to fight back when they replayed the demo.

and i doubt they have had a serious balance pass.

It was more proof of concept than an actual outcome.

also the connie was outgunned from the beginning as well, its supposed to be a match for 3 hornets, not 1 hornet a gladius and a retaliator, thats not to say it couldnt win the fight if it was allowed to fight back and actually use all its missiles in a pinch.

Also don't worry about getting more ships, we have plenty in the Org that we formed here, in fact we need more crew most likely. So there would always be a place for you on one of our 4 Idrii or other multi crew ships, youll likely never have to worry about not being able to be part of a crew on the ship of your choice.
It's less about the performance in the demo and more about the interior layout. The ship described as a Millenium Falcon analog is a big open rectangle with little room differentiation, and the ship described as a B-17 analog has doors, rooms, multiple decks, a captain's cabin even before you swap out the torpedo bay. Seems silly to me.

Well, its supposed to fill the role of the millennium falcon, which implies its performance (trading/combat), not so much that its visual design is a direct copy.

I mean if you think about it, the MF is not even proportionally correct with the exterior and interiors, a Cutlass is encroaching on the MF, in terms of size.

MF =
Length
34.37 meters
Width
25.61 meters

Cutlass =
Length
29 meters
Width
25 meters

so generally speaking wanting a ship that performs like the MF as well as has the fully functional interior elements is not realistically possible, as in order to incorporate all of those things the ship needs to get larger

The Retaliator is larger than the Connie, and has more of a Submarine military style layout, freedom of movement is very confined.

Connie is supposed to be more of a liveable ship with plenty of room too move around and not feel as claustrophobic on long journeys so it has larger more liveable spaces.

But performance wise, the Connie fills the MF feel of being a freighter that can dish out some serious pain to fighters.

I love the look of the Glaive but just can't bring myself to pay anymore money for ships :(, hopefully it's not too long of a stretch to find one in-game when it's out.

I love the look of the Glaive but just can't bring myself to pay anymore money for ships :(, hopefully it's not too long of a stretch to find one in-game when it's out.

Yeah i love it also, i had no interest in the Scythe did not like the Asymmetrical design but the Glaive solved that the moment i saw it back on its reveal months ago i knew i would love to have one.

But i am at the point where i can't put $350 into a fighter. As i am trying to finish off my fleet still rather than adding to it.

As it is i still need to spend $70, to CCU an LTI Super Hornet into an Andromeda so i can apply my Phoenix Upgrade, spend $50 to CCU a Gladius into an Hornet Tracker so i can apply my extra Tracker to Super hornet upgrade, and spend another $40 to CCU a Delta into an M50.

I think i have those prices right which means i have around $160 left to spend on ships.

The Retaliator Base ship only being $150 was interesting to say the least (same price as a (Khartu-AL), atm i do not plan to get any modules for it from the store, and will just acquire them in game.

But i was not really planning to spend the extra $75 to get the retaliator base but felt like it was worth it when i had half of the ship sitting in credits from a Relaint and and second spare Tracker to Super upgrade that i was holding on to, to just melt any way.

I am trying to minimize my smaller ship fleet, to just the couple i feel i would fly the most, namely the Super Hornet for combat, and the M50 when i want something fast and agile. (Mustang Omega is just a hangar trophy)

And keep most of my money in the larger multi crew ships.

But damn that glaive is so nice looking, Grats RangerXML for getting yours.

The only fighter that will get me to drop 300+ on it at this point tho would be the F8 Lightning.

I would trip my grandma to get to the front of the line for that one.

Its have a beautiful red paint job and the grim reaper in the window, how can you pass by this baby. Not to mention being able to fulfill all your Batwing/Cylon Raider fantasies :9

UuoLS2z.png

It looks amazing, but i don't have 350 to drop on a Cylon raider.

I am Glad i bought my DXRacer ($340) on the 7th, because there is a good chance i would have a Glaive right now, but i needed a chair more than a glaive.

And then there is the SC HOTAS which i expect to be $500, too many large purchases on the horizon lol

Last edited:
The Glaive looks awesome. I like how it resembles the Cylon raider.

Had to jump on the Retaliator with LTI. I promised myself I'd avoid spending money on the game (got the Mercenary LTI original backer pack back in Oct 2012). But this game is starting to really come to life, and contributing $150 for a ship that I can see myself spending a LOT (possibly all?) of time in seems so worth it. Even makes it tempting to change out my Aurora MR for maybe a 300i.

so what does this retaliator base model come with, would it be worth melting my freelancer MIS to grab the retaliator base instead? More interested in being armed transport but don't want to depend on others for crew. I still think the MIS would be more solo friendly but I just like the retaliator because of its increased cargo room.

edit: on a plus note just downloaded the new launcher and wow what a difference, I now get 12.9MB/s download speeds

Last edited:
so what does this retaliator base model come with, would it be worth melting my freelancer MIS to grab the retaliator base instead? More interested in being armed transport but don't want to depend on others for crew. I still think the MIS would be more solo friendly but I just like the retaliator because of its increased cargo room.

edit: on a plus note just downloaded the new launcher and wow what a difference, I now get 12.9MB/s download speeds

Essentially the unladen retaliator is a retaliator without any modules. The normal retaliator has bomb modules in front and rear. The front holds 4 torpedoes, the rear holds 2 torpedoes. If you were to buy them, they are 75/50 respectively (no LTI). They put LTI on the hull, probably because it's a concept of the new modularity. I'm guessing no LTI on the torpedo bays so as not to piss off those who bought the LTI retaliator.

All the other modules come with LTI. I assume that you'd need to buy (in game or purchase out of game) modules for both to make use of the retaliator in full.

I would personally probably buy the Unladen Retaliator with LTI, then grab the front torpedo bay (making it 225 w/ LTI) and then get the dropship/cargo module). This would make it roughly at the same price as the old LTI retaliator.

Essentially the unladen retaliator is a retaliator without any modules. The normal retaliator has bomb modules in front and rear. The front holds 4 torpedoes, the rear holds 2 torpedoes. If you were to buy them, they are 75/50 respectively (no LTI). They put LTI on the hull, probably because it's a concept of the new modularity. I'm guessing no LTI on the torpedo bays so as not to piss off those who bought the LTI retaliator.

All the other modules come with LTI. I assume that you'd need to buy (in game or purchase out of game) modules for both to make use of the retaliator in full.

I would personally probably buy the Unladen Retaliator with LTI, then grab the front torpedo bay (making it 225 w/ LTI) and then get the dropship/cargo module). This would make it roughly at the same price as the old LTI retaliator.

Dropship module is the Front module.

So you would need to get the Rear Torpedo module if you wanted the Front Dropship module.

I my self picked one up but will just get modules in game unless a new module or something really peaks my interest.

In the PU tho i am leaning to wanting to maybe have it set up with front bay torpedo's and rear bay cargo, and then it can hit hard as well as have room for pillaging ships we take down.

maybe i will get lti cargo for the rear and then leave the front bay empty for now.

Last edited:
Back