Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

What is the deal with insurance. I think my starter nub ship came with 3 months.

Quick primer on insurance.. .

Insurance in the Star Citizen public universe works somewhat like any other sort of property insurance in the real world - you pay a premium at intervals(monthly etc.)and then if anything happens to the insured items, you'll be granted the funds necessary to replace it.

Note: This is NOT how certain "virtual' situations like Alphas and Betas, in-game Arena Commander matches, or even the Squadron 42 campaign will work. In the former, you'll simply respawn as there is no "real" ship being destroyed, and in S42 the UEE military will simply issue you new hardware when needed, being a government endeavor . You won't need insurance in these situations or to worry about claims etc.

Purchasing a starship in the public universe is always going to be a big purchase. Nobody wants to go about having to buy a whole new ship if their existing vessel is destroyed. Thus, there will be insurance! There will be multiple types of policies that govern different aspects of ships and ownership.

The "basic" insurance type is "Hull Insurance". This is a policy that applied to the hull of the ship itself (usually, by the Star Citizen equivalent of the VIN number. This shows that a ship can be sold with its insurance policy intact, at least until another payment needs to be made. Unless there has been a change, I think this is still intended to be possible). The "hull" describes the ship in its "right from the dealer" form, its chassis and basic equipment for a particular trim level included. For instance, if you bought an Origin 300i and a hull insurance policy for it, then upgraded it by adding a few more missile launchers, a special paint job etc... these upgrades would not be covered by the insurance. However, if you bought an Origin 325a which comes with the missile launchers included as part of its "from the dealer" form, these would be covered under the hull insurance. That brings me to a second point - "upgrade/component" insurance. If you wish to insure your upgrades, customizations and other aspects of your ship that you change aftermarket, you'll have to purchase another policy to do so. Finally, there is "Cargo" insurance. What you're transporting, or planning to do so, has a real in-universe cost. If you want to be compensated in the event you lose your cargo somehow, its a good idea to purchase insurance on it! This goes double if you're carrying something that you don't own. Take a job hauling in your Freelancer MAX a full hold full of expensive medical supplies, you better take out an insurance policy on what you're carrying - run into pirates and jettison your cargo, get blown up etc...or the cargo is otherwise lost/irretrievable , you're going to have a very unhappy business partner and a huge debt on your hands, without insurance!

The general way that all insurance policies work is that the policy holder will, upon an "approved" claim, be granted in-universe credits sufficient to cover the loss. There may be ways to opt automatically into "put those credits towards ordering a replacement ship, and new policies if need be", but replacement isn't always instant. For instance, like I said before there is a huge economy system that both PCs and NPCs participate within. For a common ship for instance, like an RSI Aurora MR, you may be able to put in an order from a local dealer in the system and pick it up/have it delivered near immediately if they have one in stock. However, if pirates have been interdicting the entire supply of metals necessary to make certain components for Origin M50s, this means you may have to wait a little while to get another ship! (note: this is how "first time" purchases work too, not just replacements. Ships for instance are built in the stages you'd expect - Raw materials > refineries > manufacture of parts > manufacture of ships > dealerships - , all part of the comprehensive economy!). So overall, it isn't just as if *necessarily* you get blown up and thanks to insurance, another ship always instantly pops into your hangar, just the same as the one you lost - the way it has been done in other games.

There are also some other considerations when it comes to insurance, regarding approved claims on various policies. For instance, most systems will be rated with a "threat level". Some types of insurance (cargo, especially) may stipulate that the policy is only valid if the loss is within a certain threat level area. There are other areas that specifically say "Insurance is not valid at/near these places" - typically the most dangerous places around, such as Vanduul controlled systems, possibly pirate strongholds, and even heavily restricted "kill on site " UEE military worlds. Those who read the Jump Point "lore" probably remember there is a planet owned by the UEE Marines for training and weapons research that is of such high security any unscheduled flight may/will be fired upon! Next, the frequency of claims adds to the timeframe before replacement/repayment. This is a balancing mechanic to keep people from taking out insurance policies and then running suicidal missions again and again. You may have to wait considerably longer for your funds to be approved if you make a lot of claims in a short period of time. Finally, there's the potential of fraud. For instance, what if you ask your friend, who has a pirate character, to steal your ship from you so you can make a claim and buy another one, thus putting one over on the insurance company? Though there isn't much data yet on the form it will take, CIG is accounting for such things and if a pattern of behavior that seems fraudulent comes into question, the in-game insurance company will likely revoke your policy entirely!

One question I am sure you have is about the kind of insurance that comes with ships purchased pre-launch with real money. It is important to note that the insurance that comes in any ship/package purchase acts, for all intents and purposes, exactly the same as insurance purchased in-game. All pledge insurance is "hull insurance", as we discussed above. Upgrade/component or cargo insurance must always be purchased separately in game, even by those who have hull insurance from a pledge. In most cases, insurance from a Pledge simply acts as being pre-paid in game for a number of months, ranging from 1 to a whopping 24! This simply means that you won't have to pay the in-game credit premium during this period, after which you'll need to resume paying with in-game currency to keep the policy on those ships current. The second and most famous type of Pledge granted insurance, is "Lifetime Insurance" or "LTI". This means that effectively the owner of said ship will never need to pay a premium for hull insurance upon it again! LTI is granted to those who backed Star Citizen through early purchases, or special events such as "concept" sales and the like.

Overall, insurance is a big part of Star Citizen's public universe. It provides a way to allow for ship and other major purchases to be very expensive, while requiring a relatively small "upkeep" fee, which also acts as a "currency sink" in the economy. Insurance policies are not meant to cost a fortune or be difficult for a player to bear, but to be part of their routine expenses, much like ammunition, repairs, fuel, docking fees and the like. Of course, the more expensive the ship/components/cargo, the higher the insurance premium will be necessary, but it is likely that for those who can afford to acquire the more expensive ships to begin with, they'll be able to handle this sort of maintenance cost.

Hope this helped a bit! I may have missed a few things, but this should give you the general gist of Insurance in Star Citizen

Last edited:
Current plan is no more ship sales after release.

So what you are saying is that despite the fact that ship sales have brought in tens of millions of dollars, they will just go ahead and cut off that revenue stream. That makes a lot of good sense indeed.

Meanwhile, back in reality, ship sales will continue because this is capitalism and profits rule all, and because it doesn't matter what a customer who's already sunk thousands of dollars into a vague promise thinks about the continued sale of ships.

So what you are saying is that despite the fact that ship sales have brought in tens of millions of dollars, they will just go ahead and cut off that revenue stream. That makes a lot of good sense indeed.

Meanwhile, back in reality, ship sales will continue because this is capitalism and profits rule all, and because it doesn't matter what a customer who's already sunk thousands of dollars into a vague promise thinks about the continued sale of ships.

We have been told from the beginning that ship sales will not continue after release at least for the current ships we can buy now, but that does not exclude future concept sales, and i am not opposed to it if it means more content for the game. i do not think anyone should be opposed to future ship sales really if it means more content for the game. i mean all the ships can be earned in game so what does it matter?

Would people be upset if after the game is out and the PU is running if they did future concept sales where it is optional for players to pay for the ship with real money if it helps fund new ships to be developed?

An example would be they put up a concept sale like current concept sales, and you buy the ship with real money, get your hangar flair model, then a month or 2 later get a hangar ready version of the full ship which is exclusive access to that hangar ready version to be able to walk around ect but is not flyable, once the ship is PU quality ready those that paid for it would get a fully flight ready version, and everyone else that did not pay for it would just have to look for the ship dealer and buy it with in game credits. People that paid real money do not get early access to it in the PU, the ship is available at the same time to everyone when it is fight ready for the PU.

It could be possible that the ship is flight ready for in-game Simulator Arena Commander before it is PU flight ready, so it can go through some testing phases so that could be a perk to paying in to the concept.

does that scenario sound awful to anyone?

We have been told from the beginning that ship sales will not continue after release at least for the current ships we can buy now, but that does not exclude future concept sales, and i am not opposed to it if it means more content for the game. i do not think anyone should be opposed to future ship sales really if it means more content for the game. i mean all the ships can be earned in game so what does it matter?

Would people be upset if after the game is out and the PU is running if they did future concept sales where it is optional for players to pay for the ship with real money if it helps fund new ships to be developed?

An example would be they put up a concept sale like current concept sales, and you buy the ship with real money, get your hangar flair model, then a month or 2 later get a hangar ready version of the full ship which is exclusive access to that hangar ready version to be able to walk around ect but is not flyable, once the ship is PU quality ready those that paid for it would get a fully flight ready version, and everyone else that did not pay for it would just have to look for the ship dealer and buy it with in game credits. People that paid real money do not get early access to it in the PU, the ship is available at the same time to everyone when it is fight ready for the PU.

It could be possible that the ship is flight ready for in-game Simulator Arena Commander before it is PU flight ready, so it can go through some testing phases so that could be a perk to paying in to the concept.

does that scenario sound awful to anyone?

Sounds like a really good way to fund continued development to me. Not to mention all those people that don't want to pay actual money for additional ships by that point will have plenty of time to save up enough UEC to buy the ship at release in game with earned creds.

So you have people with more money than time funding the game through ship sales which people with more time than money can buy at release with earned credits. Everyone gets the ship at release, no pay 2 win, no grind 2 win. More content for everyone.

Not really.

One person gets better by playing the game. The other gets better by paying money. Which is why the chess example is perfectly appropriate.

Incorrect. It will not entirely make up for a lack of skill. It will make up for some of it.

One person has more skill because they played the game, they have no structural or "gear-wise" advantage because they played the game. Sorry your example was shit.

Say my opponent has a blaster that they bought with money that does 1 billion damage each hit, and I have one that only does 100 damage a hit. If he doesn't have enough skill to actually hit me, guess what, he gained absolutely no advantage and I will shoot him out of the sky anyways while he shoots off into space.

Money can't buy skill.

One person has more skill because they played the game, they have no structural or "gear-wise" advantage because they played the game. Sorry your example was shit.

Say my opponent has a blaster that they bought with money that does 1 billion damage each hit, and I have one that only does 100 damage a hit. If he doesn't have enough skill to actually hit me, guess what, he gained absolutely no advantage and I will shoot him out of the sky anyways while he shoots off into space.

Money can't buy skill.

not to mention, you can just get that 1billion damage blaster in game your self with credits so...

on day 1 release sure the person that paid real money for it may have a "gear" advantage, but give it a few days to outfit your ship, or buy a new ship and outfit it and you will be on just as good if not better footing than someone that paid for it.

also it is worth mentioning that the best gear will never be on venders which means you can never buy the best with real money, you will have to go scavenge that abandon station or ship or some ruins on a planet to find the best gear or get the rep needed with a faction to gain access to some stuff who knows, but we know it wont all be on venders.

I dunno about you guys but I'd rather like seeing more variety than fleet of zillion Auroras when the game comes out. Massive majority is rocking Auroras. Those with better ships are hardly going to make any difference. After the PU launches you can't pledge buy ships anymore as far as I know.

Mustang model December backer reward is live

oL5J7kl.jpg

I just got into the game by buying a never settle card. I read somewhere that I can become a backer by buying a skin pack or something? Is that correct information?

I just got into the game by buying a never settle card. I read somewhere that I can become a backer by buying a skin pack or something? Is that correct information?

Indeed! Head into the Pledge store and make any purchase you like, skins included. This will register you as a "backer". Unless something has changed, this should be all you need to do.

The AMD Omega bundle comes with a AC pass though.

However if he buys some cheap $5 skin to be a backer he can always melt it down later and get the FPS or Social (or is it planetside?) module

The AMD Omega bundle comes with a AC pass though.

However if he buys some cheap $5 skin to be a backer he can always melt it down later and get the FPS or Social (or is it planetside?) module

oh you are right, lol i was looking at the text contents, not the picture of the pass above it
under the hangar and ship picture ha.. Brain Fart.

This was the text contents:

Starting Money: 1,000 UEC
2 Month Insurance
Digital Star Citizen Manual
Star Citizen Digital Download
Squadron 42 Digital Download
Beta Access

Kinda wish I grabbed an LTI Gladiator when I had the chance....guess I will have to make do using my Retaliator for bombing runs.

If I pledged $5 on the AC pass, and then got another with my AMD package, can I melt the original to use on something else, without clearing my backer status at the time I purchased it?

Want to be sure that doesn't reset when I became a backer.

You can melt it when ever you want, it won't have an effect on your backer status. The first purchase date (the one that made you a backer) is recorded and can't be altered in your "billing & subscription" area of your account.

Well this is weird, but then again it's alpha lol.. I was getting some weird shadow flickering and what not in all my hangars. I was tinkering around looking admiring all my Omegas :) and I changed the Graphics detail from High to very high and now all my flickering is gone. I was keeping it on High so I could run it at 60fps but it looks like I'll have to settle for 30 at very high.

All backers got the Mustang model, you sure it was the delta version? My Delta is in the Gamma spot in the display case right now, regular one is on the Alpha spot.

So it seems the Idris may be coming sooner than expected. It was first scheduled to be released in AC 3.0 when the FPS module merged with Arena Commander in the Capture the Idris game mode. Well it seems like the release has been moved up to AC 2.0 when the multicrew ships go live. The ship is waiting for the game engine 64-bit switch over (you need double precision to track a target of that size and be able to hit the internal components of the ship with the same fidelity as the smaller ships).

Gamma is a racing version from a preview we had a few weeks back on AtV and the Delta is a military version which the model in the case is armored so I'm assuming it's jus in the wrong place.

Gamma is a racing version from a preview we had a few weeks back on AtV and the Delta is a military version which the model in the case is armored so I'm assuming it's jus in the wrong place.

I thought Omega was the racing version, are there two?

One person got better at the game by playing the game. The other person got better (equipment/ships/gear, and therefore becomes more effective, i.e. better) by paying money. I'm not sure why that's so difficult to comprehend.

Now if you want a shit example, there's one. I don't care how crap he is and how awesome you are, he's likely to hit you at least once before you hit him 10 or 20 times or whatever.

A much more likely scenario would be Player A is a little better than Player B, he'd win 7 or 8 times out of ten. Player B spends RL cash out the ass and has the best ships and loadouts and everything and therefore instead of losing 70 or 80 percent of the time, wins 70 or 80 percent of the time.

on day 1 release sure the person that paid real money for it may have a "gear" advantage, but give it a few days to outfit your ship, or buy a new ship and outfit it and you will be on just as good if not better footing than someone that paid for it.

While you're earning the cash for the Hornet, the guy that paid cash for the hornet and cash for a good loadout is out working on faction to get better stuff or doing whatever you do to get the "good stuff". Eventually it'll come to parity but I don't see it happening in three days.

I think no matter how easy or difficult it is there's going to be a shitstorm revolving around it. It'll either be "I paid out the ass for this ship and some noob spent 3 hours a day x 3 days running missions and ended up with the same thing" or it'll be "I coulda bought this ship for 70 bucks but didn't and now have to spend 6 hours a day x 20 days to earn it in game, this is P2W bullshit".

While you're earning the cash for the Hornet, the guy that paid cash for the hornet and cash for a good loadout is out working on faction to get better stuff or doing whatever you do to get the "good stuff". Eventually it'll come to parity but I don't see it happening in three days.

I think no matter how easy or difficult it is there's going to be a shitstorm revolving around it. It'll either be "I paid out the ass for this ship and some noob spent 3 hours a day x 3 days running missions and ended up with the same thing" or it'll be "I coulda bought this ship for 70 bucks but didn't and now have to spend 6 hours a day x 20 days to earn it in game, this is P2W bullshit".

Ooooor...

"Hey this game is tons of fun, I am glad I backed the game with money I could afford. Now I can play in the persistent universe and have fun with everyone else because I am a mature individual and not a petty little child."

Ooooor...

"Hey this game is tons of fun, I am glad I backed the game with money I could afford. Now I can play in the persistent universe and have fun with everyone else because I am a mature individual and not a petty little child."

what a strange fantasy world you live in. must be nice. ;)

what a strange fantasy world you live in. must be nice. ;)

I am just saying what I will take away from the game. Other people can take what they will from it, and I am sure there will always be plenty of petty children making noise because it is the internet. There are also plenty of people who think the moon landing was a hoax, that doesn't mean I believe them or give them any credence.

i honestly do not care if it takes someone 3 days to earn a hornet and gear it out, what ever the devs decide is fun trumps what ever people spent money on to "pledge" for the game.

i have $2199 under my account and i am ok 100% ok with it not being a factor in game design / ship acquisition times, all ships should be earned in game by what is fun not what it cost to pledge for it.

i fully expect most single seat ships to only take a day or 2 to earn, smaller multi crew ships in about a week, some might be harder or take longer to get if they are super rare ships like the 890 Jump, Idris will likely take awhile to get if you are trying to afford it solo since it is the first capital ship, but working with an org can greatly reduce any ships acquisition time exponentially.. so yeah an 890 jump or corvette might feel like a huge step to a single person but it is a multi crew ship you should be working with a few friends to earn it.

if someone wants a Javelin that is where i would expect the first real grind to show its ugly face, which is perfectly justifiable because it is designed for a large org where a large amount of people should be pooling credits for one, and its equipment.

owning a ship is not really end game either, so there is no reason to make earning ships a grind fest. a ship is just tool to help you fulfill your intended play style and explore / combat / trade what ever you want to do.

Basically the money people spend on ships should not increase the time it takes to earn them in game to make them feel like they got a deal, we are funding the game first, they need to make the game fun for someone starting out in an Aurora not someone starting out in an 890 jump.

Personally I don't give a damn nor do I care what others do. I play games for fun, it's the journey that matters. I'm certain that they balance it well. Pledging is something where you just happen to get ships as a nice bonus. It's not wise to make any conclusions that x amount of € means x amount of hours because it's likely not going to be that simple.

I think most people are looking at the ships (and upgrades) like gear in WoW or similar MMOs where the right gear is a massive advantage. I think a much better comparison would be BF4 or similar shooters with a bunch of unlocks. Buying a ship is like getting a free gun or item unlock, but without any of the upgrades on it. You'll have a bit of an edge and it might let you do a couple things a bit before other people, but they'll be able to do them too after a little bit. You'll also still be far from having true top of the line gear.

Things we know about getting top of the line gear:
You can't buy it from Voyager direct (the web store) and some of it will require you (or another player) to discover and configure the overclocking setting for it. Other items will be rare in that they will only be available from a limited set of places and/or at limited times, or be found via salvage or exploration.

Insurance doesn't cover overclocking, you'll just get a replacement stock part that might be better or worse and will have to go through the OC process to find this out.

Parts will wear out and need to be replaced, OCing can shorten their life, especially at more aggressive levels. So you'll need to keep replacing parts and if you want top of the line ones you'll be doing some work OCing, running around the 'verse, or paying other players to do it for you.

Back