Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

lol, someone is already listing an 890 on ebay for $1.3k and to make matters worse they are noting they have 5 for sale :-(

Stuff like this makes me sick.

lol, someone is already listing an 890 on ebay for $1.3k and to make matters worse they are noting they have 5 for sale :-(

lol, they are not selling on reddit for $640 it seems everyone that wants one has one.

although there is a lot of misconception floating around and some people think it is just a luxury yacht that can't defend it self which is not accurate so i can see why some people do not want it.

btw i still have my cutlass blue upgrade if anyone in the org missed it, i am just melting it friday for part of a herald so if someone wants it at cost let me know. upgrade does include the advocacy tools. so its either get it to someone in the org that missed it and wants it or melt it for credits.

$1300 for few pixels in a game that might not even be released. I usually don't criticize others purchases because it's their money. But sometimes it really is disturbing, when people pay the price of a great rig or anything decent, like 2 weeks in all inclusive holidays for a virtual ship.

I really don't get it.

$1300 for few pixels in a game that might not even be released. I usually don't criticize others purchases because it's their money. But sometimes it really is disturbing, when people pay the price of a great rig or anything decent, like 2 weeks in all inclusive holidays for a virtual ship.

I really don't get it.

well some people do not care about going on a vacation because every day is a vacation for them.

also there is no doubt about the game being released. at least there shouldn't be any doubt.

Last edited:

I really don't get it.

Where the hell can someone go for two weeks on holiday for $1300.00; and all-inclusive at that? I've been doing vacations wrong. Hell, that won't even cover airfare let alone food and lodging. Guess I could go back country for that amount but it wouldn't even cover salary (which I consider part of the expense). Also, the girlfriend isn't going into the sierras for two weeks with me. Not a chance.

Where the hell can someone go for two weeks on holiday for $1300.00; and all-inclusive at that? I've been doing vacations wrong. Hell, that won't even cover airfare let alone food and lodging. Guess I could go back country for that amount but it wouldn't even cover salary (which I consider part of the expense). Also, the girlfriend isn't going into the sierras for two weeks with me. Not a chance.
MorgothPl is in Poland, so take that into consideration. Going on a trip in Europe is a lot cheaper than it is here in the States. But also their income/expenses are a lot different, so that comparison doesn't really make much sense.

Fark... of course I missed the 350r upgrade :(

Does anyone know when it ended? I can't find much info other than it was available a month ago.

Fark... of course I missed the 350r upgrade :(

Does anyone know when it ended? I can't find much info other than it was available a month ago.

it was up a when they put the racing stuff in for a week or 2, it will be back for sale again tho at least it should be.

what other info do you need? price?

it was 125 stand alone and 140 in a package.

I really don't get it.

Some of the spending revolving around SC stopped being rational a long time ago, so I'm not sure there's really anything to "get".

You don't get paid your salary when you're on vacation?

The point is that $1300 is a not insignificant amount of money, not really what kind of vacation it will buy you.

You don't get paid your salary when you're on vacation?

The point is that $1300 is a not insignificant amount of money, not really what kind of vacation it will buy you.

Actually my point was that $1300.00 is NOT a significant amount of money to some.

Edit: And no, my vacation and sick time is my own to do what I wish with. I do not have to pay out for vacations if I don't need it.

it was up a when they put the racing stuff in for a week or 2, it will be back for sale again tho at least it should be.

what other info do you need? price?

it was 125 stand alone and 140 in a package.
Thanks for the info, I'll probably wait for it to go back on sale. The only thing I'd like to know is how much was it to upgrade? I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on this game before release, but I'd be willing to upgrade my 315p (got it in the alpha/beta package so I can only upgrade) to a 350r.

So is this game worth it? Thoughts? Not in the mood for reading 500 pages... been reading wayyy to much on 980 BIOs mods :)

Actually my point was that $1300.00 is NOT a significant amount of money to some.

Arguing about how much a vacation costs isn't a very good way to make that point.

Sure, to some people 1300 bucks is nothing. But I think there are a relatively large number of people that HAVE spent what is (to them) a significant amount of money on SC.

Edit: And no, my vacation and sick time is my own to do what I wish with. I do not have to pay out for vacations if I don't need it.

You're in the minority.

Arguing about how much a vacation costs isn't a very good way to make that point.

Sure, to some people 1300 bucks is nothing. But I think there are a relatively large number of people that HAVE spent what is (to them) a significant amount of money on SC.

You're in the minority.

So are people spending $1300.00 a whack on SC? It's a video game, it's by definition frivolous spending.

I just find the complaints about costs ridiculous. Like bitching about the cost of anything at all. I am heading over to the private jet forums to complain that those are expensive.

Nobody needs to give these guys a penny right now. Wait for the PU or SQ42 if there's any doubt. Then ask people you know or read reviews etc.

Who's bitching about costs? You're confusing "bitching about costs" with "not understanding what would compel someone to spend thousands of dollars on a game they've never played and really don't need to spend more than 50 bucks on."

Those are two very different things.

I've utterly lost faith in humanity if someone cannot grasp the concept of why someone would support the project but you may be correct. I hope not though, that would be a frightening lack of imagination.

And purchased the $45 Aurora package. Hell if I know the differences between packages. My six year old picked it and is really excited. Boy did I ruin her.... Princesses, ballet, tap, gymnastics... Kerrigan, now add Star Citizen to the list!

She was dead set on the Aurora package because of princess Aurora. :)

Last edited:
I've utterly lost faith in humanity if someone cannot grasp the concept of why someone would support the project but you may be correct.

Lol, and I've utterly lost faith in human intellect if you think, at 60 million funded, people buying their eighth ship right now is all about supporting the project.

Lol, and I've utterly lost faith in human intellect if you think at 60 million funded, buying ships right now is all about supporting the project.

Difference is that I don't think they need mommy gamers hovering over them, wringing their hands about how much money has been or will be raised. But obviously you know better so laugh it up.

The thing will work or it won't. Anybody that put any more money than they would on a roulette table may have made a mistake.

Difference is that I don't think they need mommy gamers hovering over them, wringing their hands about how much money has been or will be raised. But obviously you know better so laugh it up.

The thing will work or it won't. Anybody that put any more money than they would on a roulette table may have made a mistake.

But apparently they need mommy gamers to protect them from the big bad meanies that might be saying something that could be construed as criticism. When in reality the big bad meanies are more likely just confused or fascinated by what is essentially the modern day tulip mania.

If someone wants to spend $1300 on a game they can. People spend thousands on cigarettes, guns, alcohol, gambling... I haven't ever used this phrase... But some people should "go get a life"

But apparently they need mommy gamers to protect them from the big bad meanies that might be saying something that could be construed as criticism. When in reality the big bad meanies are more likely just confused or fascinated by what is essentially the modern day tulip mania.

Actually it's just irritating to me personally, I don't care if you have an issue with CIG at all (but that'd be bitching now wouldn't it?). You and your threadcrapping ilk are just tiresome.

And purchased the $45 Aurora package. Hell if I know the differences between packages. My six year old picked it and is really excited. Boy did I ruin her.... Princesses, ballet, tap, gymnastics... Kerrigan, now add Star Citizen to the list!

She was dead set on the Aurora package because of princess Aurora. :)

well there is no wrong choice, you can melt a package at any time and get another package and get full credit tword that ship ect. so if you feel the aurora is not up to par with how you want to start the game you can always swap it out.

and remember it is super early pre alpha state right now.

well there is no wrong choice, you can melt a package at any time and get another package and get full credit tword that ship ect. so if you feel the aurora is not up to par with how you want to start the game you can always swap it out.

and remember it is super early pre alpha state right now.

Great to know! That's fantastic, thanks.

Actually it's just irritating to me personally, I don't care if you have an issue with CIG at all (but that'd be bitching now wouldn't it?). You and your threadcrapping ilk are just tiresome.

So any discussion that you dislike = threadcrapping. Gotcha. Good to see you're being rational.

Personally I find you and your "I'm gonna pitch a fit any time anyone says anything that isn't positive press for SC" ilk to be tiresome. The completely irrational fanboys who freak out and jump on anyone that says anything even remotely critical or questioning do far more harm than good when it comes to getting a game positive press.

They probably also do some legitimate harm to the game. Question anything at the official forums and you're probably 100x more likely to get shouted down by a vocal group of what are essentially crazed zealots, than get a legitimate discussion.

Last edited:
Lol, and I've utterly lost faith in human intellect if you think, at 60 million funded, people buying their eighth ship right now is all about supporting the project.

its a mixture for me, while i am not going to pledge for a ship i have no intention of using, (just to support)

i will pledge more if it is a ship i feel i will be using for a long time, and willing to spend more on it than it is really even worth.

i am under no spell and i myself believe ships are going to be relatively easy to get in the PU.

The difference is i can choose to start with a ship or ships i really want without having to spend any in game credits on that ship so all the credits i earn can go right into making the ships i have better, or splurge in game on better stuff for FPS without penny pinching in game to save for the next ship, i can focus more on what i want to do rather than trying to min/max my time/credits earned until i get the ship i want for the role i intend to play.

I also do not mind making a large purchase for the organization, like i did pledge $350 for a reclaimer which will mainly be for other people in the Org to use. so that was actually my first pledge that was for both to help cig raise more money as well as help the Org out a bit for those that do only plan to have an aurora but may want to crew or take part in a larger multi crew ship.

So far i have given CiG around $1800.

BTW i have never had a real job, still don't. The upside is i have 0 bills.

i am a leach on society. ;)

AAA ames smaller than Star Citizen have much larger budget... CIG has lots of people working for SC. It takes money to sustain that workforce. If someone thinks that you can make a game like this with three million, I have truly lost my hope for the humanity.

I watch my nieces for my sister when she works off and on between 2-4 a week alternating so if i watch them 2 days on one week the next week it is 4 days so i have a lot of free time, but i get free place to stay and free food, no bills. cant really call that a job either because they go to school so during the day i can sleep all day lol, wake up at like 2:45pm go pick them up from school, then once they go to sleep i can do what ever and stay up all night. its a hard life i tell ya...

I do odds and ends during the summer for my uncle like mow his lawn and watch his house when he leaves for florida, so he pays me a little for that. but nothing i would consider a real job that is like a once a week check on things or mow sort a deal lol.

I am happy never really wanting anything and when i do want something its usually nothing major so i can usually get it my self.

like the pc i am using is 3x 290's, 4790k at 4.6ghz, i have 6x 120gb ssd's, triple monitor setup ect. so its not like i need to spend any money on pc stuff atm. and that is really my only hobby.

I've utterly lost faith in humanity if someone cannot grasp the concept of why someone would support the project but you may be correct. I hope not though, that would be a frightening lack of imagination.

A lot of people spending that much money aren't doing it to solely support the project, but in hopes of turning around and reselling their ships for 10x the price. Spend $2000 on ships and possibly sell them off for $20000 or more if the game is very successful, as we know how people go crazy over virtual items...

(I have not done this)

its a mixture for me, while i am not going to pledge for a ship i have no intention of using, (just to support)

i will pledge more if it is a ship i feel i will be using for a long time, and willing to spend more on it than it is really even worth.

And there's nothing wrong with wanting something for your money, it's just silly for someone to think that because I don't understanding spending 2 grand on ships when money isn't falling off trees for you and the game is already well funded means I "don't understand wanting to support the game." Anyone that's being honest with themselves knows that buying your umpteenth ship right now isn't simply about supporting the game. It's about something else, and it's the something else that, for the most part, I don't understand.

And there's nothing wrong with wanting something for your money, it's just silly for someone to think that because I don't understanding spending 2 grand on ships when money isn't falling off trees for you and the game is already well funded means I "don't understand wanting to support the game." Anyone that's being honest with themselves knows that buying your umpteenth ship right now isn't simply about supporting the game. It's about something else, and it's the something else that, for the most part, I don't understand.

I think someone mentioned this earlier but 2k is a lot for some, not so much for others.

Let me say I'd never spend 2k on a game, but at one time I made 1k in OT each day. So 2 k took me a little over a day to make. Now I invested in things like paying off my car, a fence, roof, ect and went for a more family friendly job.... But I am a big fan of "to each his own".

I know a guy that just spent 20k on a track car, 7k to repair the frame. For some reason that's acceptable. But people nag on someone spending 1k on a titan or 1.8k on SC. Who are we to judge?

Last edited:
I think someone mentioned this earlier but 2k is a lot for some, not so much for others.

Let me say I'd never spend 2k on a game, but at one time I made 1k in OT each day. So 2 k took me a little over a day to make. Now I invested in things like paying off my car, a fence, roof, ect and went for a more family friendly job.... But I am a big fan of "to each his own".

I know a guy that just spent 20k on a track car, 7k to repair the frame. For some reason that's acceptable. But people nag on someone spending 1k on a titan or 1.8k on SC. Who are we to judge?

This is exactly why I think all the, "can't understand this" BS is threadcrapping. Just contrary posts to feed attention seeking behavior in front of an audience that will more than likely find the posts irritating.

I hope people aren't so dumb that they don't get it's participation, support, addiction, excitement, "in-crowd desire" for profit speculation or some other very simple and basic human experience. Only sheltered or young/inexperienced at life people couldn't grasp the concepts.

I voted for the Passenger Liner the first few times, but it doesn't look like it will go through. There already is a public transportation system for transporting people and items (ships) between systems, so my guess is this would be either a player driven/controlled version or a more luxuries version along the lines of the Phoenix or the 890 Jump.

I voted for the Passenger Liner the first few times, but it doesn't look like it will go through. There already is a public transportation system for transporting people and items (ships) between systems, so my guess is this would be either a player driven/controlled version or a more luxuries version along the lines of the Phoenix or the 890 Jump.

I guess I just don't understand how that would make for fun gameplay.

You have to think about any aspect of the game from both sides of the law.

It doesn't have to be luxury, remember that there will be player on player bounties. So whoever can transport wanted VIPs into UEE policed space with guaranteed safety can earn themselves a good amount of money and reputation.
That passenger liner can be modified. You can change the skin to an all black one, stealth it up with carefully chosen low emission components, the inside could be modified with all kinds of anti boarding measures, etc. You do not have to fill all the seats with passengers either, if you are transporting a wanted VIP you can have your own security detail armed to the teeth to defend the VIP in case of boarding. Remember also that you can discover and chart your own jump points and keep the location all to yourself, and that some of those jump points WILL lead to known space locations. So your transporting business can buy the nav info of such a jump point (or find it yourself) and use it to avoid UEE control points getting people in and out.

And the gameplay implications don't stop there. You can earn yourself a reputation of being a good transporter and later down the road when one of the really big fishes contracts your services there is the chance of turning them in for an even greater profit. That would surely make the interstellar news and gain you notoriety of all kinds.

It's been said many times before, the ships are not the end goal of the game what you do with them is.

Back