Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

M50 looking sweet, if you own that thing you'll have a nice way to earn some extra scratch by racing provided you are a good enough pilot.

Hey Lorien, have you heard/seen anything from CR/CIG etc regarding any potential impact of the intercontinental shitstorm at Crytek impacting SC?

I presume since they're modifying an already released Cryengine it wouldn't matter a ton../but at the same time if/when Crytek collapses it would have to have some ripple effect I figure.

New round of invites going out! I'm number 220k and just got the invite in email

It should have little to no impact, i think Chris addressed this at one point personally.

But CiG owns the full source code to Cryengine not just a license like most companies get, so CiG pretty much owns the right to manipulate and change the enigne how ever they wish, which means they do need to rely on Crytek to change something, and the CiG programmers are likely going to be better at dealing with the Cryengine than crytek them selves because they are rewriting it over to Double precision.

Crytek beaking up or losing staff could be a good thing for CiG as it does free up a lot of programmers with deep knowledge of the engine so they could hire more programmers and not just barrow them.

But from the sounds of it, Crytek is keeping its support team that helps with projects such as Star Citizen and other games so i do not think any of the recent changes have had any affect at all from a personnel sharing perspective either.

New round of invites going out! I'm number 220k and just got the invite in email

Nice, i still have not tried multi player and i am around 127k lol.

I just got invite to the Arena Commander Multiplayer Pre-Alpha. See how that goes. I haven't played at all or been paying attention much since they first released the hangar. Shame on me.

Hey Lorien, have you heard/seen anything from CR/CIG etc regarding any potential impact of the intercontinental shitstorm at Crytek impacting SC?

I presume since they're modifying an already released Cryengine it wouldn't matter a ton../but at the same time if/when Crytek collapses it would have to have some ripple effect I figure.

They did a complete buyout of the engine (as opposed to a simple licensing) so they're insulated from anything that may happen at Crytek and I'm willing to bet they would hire some more of their staff (they've already hired several Crytek engineers, Paul Reindell being one of them) if Crytek went under.
Here's what Erin Roberts, Chris' brother said when asked about it
We did an outright buyout of the engine last year and have the source code, so while we hope all the noise about Crytek blows over, as they are great partners and friends to the project, if the worse happened we would be ok, as we’ve already branched the engine and have a large team that is adding features and supporting it every day here at CIG. So even in the worst case scenario we should be fine, but obviously we hope it does not come to that.

Cheers,

Erin

Arena Commander invites were expanded to 250k
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...3-Arena-Commander-Multiplayer-Access-Expanded
On Wednesday, we published the long-awaited Star Citizen 12.5 patch aimed at improving Arena Commander’s multiplayer experience. For the past two days, we’ve been monitoring our servers, reviewing feedback and observing players around the world.

And it’s all looking good! In addition to eliminating rubber-banding, it looks like the 12.5 fixes have dramatically increased the Arena Commander experience. Today, we made some additional fixes to our server from that data. We’re now comfortable beginning to expand the multiplayer rollout again!

As we head into the weekend, we are expanding the multiplayer base by 50,000 additional Citizens. If your Citizen Number is 250,000 or below, you will now have access to Arena Commander’s multiplayer modes. The team will sit down next week to review the data and make a call on a larger expansion.

This post will be updated as additional players are invited.

One thing I'd like to get cleared. If I buy the package with ship for like $110 and it also has the 6 months insurance, so after those 6 months, if my ship gets stolen/killed I'm left with nothing?

Just deciding on the package, and I'd not like to pay for something that I might lost quite soon.

One thing I'd like to get cleared. If I buy the package with ship for like $110 and it also has the 6 months insurance, so after those 6 months, if my ship gets stolen/killed I'm left with nothing?

Just deciding on the package, and I'd not like to pay for something that I might lost quite soon.

Correct, but the cost of keeping it insured will be relatively small. And if you join the [H] organization I'm making sure the organization hangar is stocked with loaner ships to help people get back on their feet should that ever happen.

A good all around ship for the budget you mentioned would be the Cutlass but if you want I can give you a tour of more of the ships and answer any questions live on stream.

Just gonna drop this here

TxtMYNL.jpg

Cookie for whoever knows where this is from

Last edited:
Correct, but the cost of keeping it insured will be relatively small. And if you join the [H] organization I'm making sure the organization hangar is stocked with loaner ships to help people get back on their feet should that ever happen.

A good all around ship for the budget you mentioned would be the Cutlass but if you want I can give you a tour of more of the ships and answer any questions live on stream.

i think what lorien means by:

"I'm making sure the organization hangar is stocked with loaner ships to help people get back on their feet should that ever happen."

if for what ever reason you can not pay for insurance on your ship, do not fly it and use one of the loaner ships to earn some credits to pay your insurance rather than risking flying it without insurance. so the Risk of you EVER losing the ships is 0% chance.

Also there are other ways to earn credits in game besides flying your ship.

One of the most basic options is to just join someone's ship as a crew member and earn credits that way too.

No one should ever worry about losing a ship they paid for because they lack insurance on it, simply choose not to fly it until you can pay it (the in game credit fee is minimal) but some people do some times live credits to credits in games and are always broke so that is what an organization will help with, you can look to us to help you get those credits, either from using a loaner ship, jumping on our ships as crew, and i am even willing to pay someones insurance fee if we need to get you into space ASAP with your own ship for what ever reason but that would be rare i would thinks since there are so many ways to earn credits without needing your own ship to earn them.

Last edited:
keep feeling like this game is going to never amount to anything other than a non stop cash cow for the devs pockets.

I'm more worried about the dollar crashing and killing the project rather than Chris and CIG not being able to deliver a great game lol.

keep feeling like this game is going to never amount to anything other than a non stop cash cow for the devs pockets.

Because every single other game ever made was NOT about the devs wanting money to pay for their livelihood and work.

Would you like some cheese with that?

The fact that some of you people still doubt this game is astonishing....

It might not be a AAA title like some claim, but it's definitely gonna be a huge step forward for PC gaming.

If you don't like it, DON'T BUY IT.

Crytek going under would be the best thing that can ever happen to this game. First of all I really don't like Cryengine, but at least if Cloud Games Inc hired more of their knowledgable staff, the development would speed up and probably be better and more stable in the long run given the amount of experience these guys are bringing to the table.

I just downloaded the latest patch, played 15 seconds, died and I am sticking with it. It's what I hoped for, for alpha.

///Looks at SC number...remembers it is in the 270,000s

Goes back to other chit.

Gratz everyone, i know we all put in a lot of effort to hit this 49million milestone.

i just want to take a moment to thank my mom, couldn't have done this without her support. I also want to thank my dog Smokey you really give me the courage to keep the star citizen pledge drive alive you were essential in the formation of this space plant for you to piss on when i take you for walks in my hangar.

I also want to take a moment to thank the other random 512,219 backers, without your support this Game would of been nothing more than a wet dream. So thank you.

So got to play my first match in mp last night. It was awesome! Only died once to a 300i ramming my hornet. I took 4 omniski iv and regretted it. Was power starved lots, I can tell I will do better in agile glass canons. Had a guy on my tail, de-coupled spun 90 deg recoupled blasted boosters and took off. Then did it again and got behind him, locked on fired 2 vollies from my cannon and smoked him with a missile, was such an epic first kill lol.

So got to play my first match in mp last night. It was awesome! Only died once to a 300i ramming my hornet. I took 4 omniski iv and regretted it. Was power starved lots, I can tell I will do better in agile glass canons. Had a guy on my tail, de-coupled spun 90 deg recoupled blasted boosters and took off. Then did it again and got behind him, locked on fired 2 vollies from my cannon and smoked him with a missile, was such an epic first kill lol.

Oh stop, this game isn't going to be anything but hype! :p

yeah i saw the new page set up when i got back from depositing $350 worth of fun money into the bank and was looking through pledge ships,
saw the super hornet and was like omg is it back? click on it and pledge button said "not available"

nooooooo-o.gif

I wouldn't be surprised to see a special sale during gamescom. I mean they went through all the trouble of updating the pledge store already.

If the tali comes up for sale, going to try and get it. I wonder if I can have they trade my 350r out of my LTI package and put the tali in its place.

mehh, don't like the new pledge store, I think the layout sucks and god forbid I was a noob looking into SC for the first time.

i do not mind the layout, and it kinda defaults you into looking at ships with pledge packages, or says not available so new people are less likely to buy just a ship add-on and be like wtf i cant play.. sort of thing.

but i could see someone with less knowledge on the game still getting confused.

i also think no matter what they do until they only offer "Game for $60" it is always going to confuse some new backers.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a special sale during gamescom. I mean they went through all the trouble of updating the pledge store already.

i do not know, i would think gamescom would focus on connie variants sale only, and then in november do another major sale.

edit-
picked up a cutlass, extra m50 and an avenger.

avenger is just a store credit place holder, likely same for my gladius and khartu, so i have 290 in store credit atm, i would like to try them all in AC before they get melted for credit and turned into a Retaliator just to see if i really want to keep any of them or not.
i still have plenty of fun money i can buy a connie variant upgrade without having to melt any of my tali credit fund place holder ships

extra m50 is still on the fence too, not sure if i want to keep my lti m50 as collectors specimen in mint condition never touched, and fly the non lti m50 lol so it can get beat up ect. i do not put any value in lti, but it is nice to have one just to say i have it, and if i do that i would want it pristine with no wear and tear. (its been stated even lti ships will get wear and tear that can not be buffed out completely) so i think that adds a little to the collectors OCD mentality to not let it get a scratch on it or take it out of the packaging so to speak.

Last edited:
Heads up kids, another round of multiplayer invites went up...apparently those with SC #s 270,000 and a bit higher are now a part of the fun (just got my email).

Back