Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

Retaliator is looking pretty slick!

Ext_03.jpg

Any word on whether changes are being made to k/m controls?

Star Citizen's Arena Commander on the Large Pixel Collider at PC Gamer:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/06/13/star-citizen-video-arena-commander-at-2560x1440-on-lpc/

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oceQ9Ap7oSk

As I have said before, my goodness it looks beautiful, the game that is. No matter how many times I've seen videos for SC, I'm still awestruck by how wonderful this game looks. The final product is going to be amazing in my eyes.

Yup. On my 30" 1600p ZR30W it is ZOMGWTF prettayyy.

My brother was here in the last week and saw it....Once She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed approves (if ever....she frowns on computer games), he's buying. :D

yeah tali needs its commercial so they sell them again, i would like to pick one up again.

also since it is getting a commercial that means it will likely be getting variants like the other commercial ships.

Retaliator Variant Speculations BEGIN!

yeah tali needs its commercial so they sell them again, i would like to pick one up again.

also since it is getting a commercial that means it will likely be getting variants like the other commercial ships.

Retaliator Variant Speculations BEGIN!

Hopefully there's a variant that is more automated...from what I've been reading to make the thing go in combat you require a crew to man it....which getting together and doing sounds the opposite of fun. Sounds more like a job to me.

well, you can hire NPC's to fill those roles which would allow you to automate any manned turrets.

i would think the majority of ship captains are going to have fully ai crews as standard and then when a friend or friends want to join the crew they will just take an ai's place as necessary so the majority of multi crew vessels will be primarily AI crewed with a few humans in control of a few systems. some more organized groups will like the feel of full human crews tho and i do think that aspect would be a lot of fun given the crew members have enough to do to keep them busy and entertained.

i would also suspect some sort of failsafe might be needed too like if you have a manned turret gunner and he/she gets randomly disconnected (its an online game random disconnects and crashes can happen at the worst of times) i think they need to have an AI crew that you have on standby take over one of those positions if some one you are relying on just randomly drops out without warning. That could majorly suck in a multi crew vessel where every gunner position matters.

Last edited:
I was very tempted to get a Retaliator, now I'm kind of regretting not getting one, though the reason I didn't get it was because I figured crewing it would be too annoying and wanted to stick to ships that I could solo on days I couldn't be arsed dealing with other people, lol. Got the Xi'an Scout and Freelancer instead.

well, it is almost certain it will come back up for sale. i will be getting one when it comes back.

Question: I haven't been paying attention for the past 8 months or so and I am wondering about upgrading a ship with LTI. Do I retain LTI on the base chassis and the upgrade is something extra I have to insure? Wanting to upgrade my wife's base Freelancer to a new package. Maybe the DUR upgrade.

as long as it is an "upgrade" the new chassis will retain the LTI from the old one, so everything on the new ship will be covered with LTI.

that is what is currently making Aurora LTI packages so valuable in the grey market. you can potentially upgrade an aurora with lti into a larger ship with lti.

I was very tempted to get a Retaliator, now I'm kind of regretting not getting one, though the reason I didn't get it was because I figured crewing it would be too annoying and wanted to stick to ships that I could solo on days I couldn't be arsed dealing with other people, lol. Got the Xi'an Scout and Freelancer instead.

That's the same reason why I didn't pick one up. It will need 8 people and 5 of those are turrets (3 above 2 below) and I wouldn't want to go out flying with NPC manned (oxymoron?) turrets since bombers will be primary targets for any battlegroup.

Last edited:
I haven't been following this. Do explain some more?

lti ship packages usually go for $100+ more on the grey market "reddit" than non lti versions, aurora lti's would not be worth that price premium on their own.

now that you can upgrade an aurora and maintain the LTI by turning it into a hornet or freelancer or 300i which ever you choose the value of those aurora packages now has the price premium when buying or selling them on reddit.

so instead of the package being worth 50-60 for an aurora with lti now they are worth 100-140 because you can turn them into better ships and keep the lti.

When I pledged, the constellation was the best thing available.

Now, its the most neglected model and seems unimpressive to the new releases. Even when the 300i came out, the interior of the 300i is on a whole different level.

lti ship packages usually go for $100+ more on the grey market "reddit" than non lti versions, aurora lti's would not be worth that price premium on their own.

now that you can upgrade an aurora and maintain the LTI by turning it into a hornet or freelancer or 300i which ever you choose the value of those aurora packages now has the price premium when buying or selling them on reddit.

so instead of the package being worth 50-60 for an aurora with lti now they are worth 100-140 because you can turn them into better ships and keep the lti.

How would I go about upgrading the Aurora to an entirely different ship? I can see where to upgrade to different variants but not different ships.

When I pledged, the constellation was the best thing available.

Now, its the most neglected model and seems unimpressive to the new releases. Even when the 300i came out, the interior of the 300i is on a whole different level.

You seem unaware of the redesign the ship is currently undergoing. Here's a shot of the luxury variant's interior.

y2cjElq.jpg

How would I go about upgrading the Aurora to an entirely different ship? I can see where to upgrade to different variants but not different ships.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/cross-chassis-upgrades

And before you ask, new upgrade options will be added only when the actual flyable ship is added to Arena Commander.

Last edited:
Thinking about going to an Origin 300 or 325. I have an Aurora LN currently. If I am not mistaken, the 325 should be the better fighter and about equal in terms of cargo capacity. But how does the base model 300 compare to the Aurora LN for combat and other tasks? Would that be worth upgrading to?

300i and 325A will handle roughly the same way as they both have the same engine. The only differences will be weapons loadout (missiles + mass driver extra on 325A), power plant (beefier on 325A to handle the extra weapons and improved shields) and shields (heavier duty). The added mass from those extras on the 325A will likely balance out with the more powerful powerplant it has.

Edit: Hmm it would be interesting to strip out all the weapons form the test ships and see if there are any noticeable differences in handling. I'll have to give that a try.

Last edited:
what happens if you try to fly without the main thruster.. never tried that.

You seem unaware of the redesign the ship is currently undergoing. Here's a shot of the luxury variant's interior.

y2cjElq.jpg

Holy heck that looks different / nice (not my style, but whatever). I wonder if the 'lux Connie still has a p-52? Doesn't look like it has the cockpit sticking up...
Nevermind the last question- found Sandi's feed. Looks like they moved the P-52 to the rear... Now I really think this will end up being an amazing ship!

Dang, makes me wonder if I should sell my Aurora LTI.

if you do want to do that you can likely get around $120 for it if you dont mind waiting a day or 2 looking for a buyer to show up.

and i believe the guy i bought a non lti hornet game package has one left, which still has alpha/beta access. for $125 which is what i paid in bitcoins but he also accepts paypal

so you could buy that hornet package and keep alpha/beta access as long as he still has it then sell your aurora for 120 and come close to breaking even while getting a hornet in its place.

i personally wanted to keep a package with alpha/beta access because there is no telling if CiG plans to charge for access to other modules at certain phases like when closed beta starts for new comers at $5 a pop and i did not want to mess with that.

i bought the hornet package from him before i sold my weekend warrior for $330 just to make sure i always had alpha/beta access and didnt lose access to the module.

also i believe Freaky sold his Aurora MR LTI scout package for $120 yesterday so that is at least 1 confirmed sold recently unless he sold it for a little less in pm's or something.

So the k/m controls still suck ass. Might just wait until CIG implement custom key binds before I bother wasting anymore time with this, why the fuck they can't hurry up and stick a UI in for that purpose is a bit disconcerting.

i want custom key binds also, i have only played it a couple times since it has come out and i am too lazy to xml edit to set up the keys the way i want.

i know i would play it more with an easy way to remap and also popper track ir support.

edit-
looks like i might be hitting Concierge status if it is still at $1k mark

at $640 right now and have $430 i will be putting back into credit from selling off my lti ships for side grading into non lti :)

LTI may not be for sale officially, but it is still making CiG money lol, it is the right thing to do when you proffit off LTI, put it all back into CiG :)

Last edited:

y2cjElq.jpg

Holy heck that looks different / nice (not my style, but whatever). I wonder if the 'lux Connie still has a p-52? Doesn't look like it has the cockpit sticking up...
Nevermind the last question- found Sandi's feed. Looks like they moved the P-52 to the rear... Now I really think this will end up being an amazing ship!

hummmm, interesting. I'm really wondering now about what the finished product will look like.

yeah, i am curious about the new connie interiors, and variants. i want to see them, who knows maybe i will want a connie variant a long with a retaliator if they do a good job on the connie, i personally am not too big of a fan of the current connie.

Still think the Retaliator fits the Constellation's description better than the Constellation does. It's all the wide-open space. The Connie is supposed to be a Millennium Falcon, and the Falcon had rooms and corridors.

I personally think the Connie fits the falcon profile, it has a really nice power to weight ratio with 4 T6 main thrusters, looks a bit gritty like the falcon. also only has 2 manned turrets

it has a few things missing tho like you pointed out not a lot of rooms, and a lack of places to hide things but its not supposed to be a perfect copy of the falcon either, it does need its own identity rather than to just be called the falcon of SC

I personally think the Connie fits the falcon profile, it has a really nice power to weight ratio with 4 T6 main thrusters, looks a bit gritty like the falcon. also only has 2 manned turrets

it has a few things missing tho like you pointed out not a lot of rooms, and a lack of places to hide things but its not supposed to be a perfect copy of the falcon either, it does need its own identity rather than to just be called the falcon of SC

But can it make the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs?

i think it does, not the luxury version, but it has an ugly utilitarian vibe to it compared to the sleek designs from Aegis or origin, connie seems like a larger Aurora to me with massive engines stuck on, its not pretty to me but it doesn't need to be for what it is intended to do.

Guys. What ship should I get? Do you guys think it will be easy to ugrade? I feel like just buying an aurora, but i don't want to regret not buying a better ship. Anything over 100 like hornet is too much money for something I don't know if I will play a lot. I thought I would play BF4 a lot but ended up not playing it.

My original pledge from way
back was the Aurora MR and after flying it in the arena commander I hated it. Very box like. I did the chassis upgrade to the 300i and it's much better.

My original pledge from way
back was the Aurora MR and after flying it in the arena commander I hated it. Very box like. I did the chassis upgrade to the 300i and it's much better.

yup, I got an aurora, 300i and hornet and the 300i is my favorite to fly so far. Feels better than the hornet, easier to aim and maneuver in for me

Back