Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

i would like to see some art for a coat before i ever considered getting something like that.

i don't usually pay for cosmetic items, and since tech everything should be purchasable in game with credits that also pushes me away from it. granted its prob only sold in 1 spot in the whole PU since its likely a rare item to find in game.

is the coat in the AC already since the freelancer variants are in?

ok so it looks like you can apply a non gift-able upgrade to a gift-able package, I just tried it with an Aurora LN upgrade to an older Aurora MR package that was gift-able and it retained the gift option. :)

I would assume this works with all the other packages but I take no responsibility if it doesn't work for someone else.

thanks! went with the cutlass package.

Nice, welcome to the verse! If you are looking to join an organization (Star Citizen's version of clans/guilds), allow me to invite you to the semi official [H] one: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/DOKAZON/
Just apply and we'll hook you up.

With the Cutlas package you will also get an Asteroid hangar with it. Here are some pics of the Cutlas in game and of the Asteroid hangar concept art:

Asteroid Hangar:

gpknFr3.jpg

Nice, welcome to the verse! If you are looking to join an organization (Star Citizen's version of clans/guilds), allow me to invite you to the semi official [H] one: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/DOKAZON/
Just apply and we'll hook you up.

With the Cutlas package you will also get an Asteroid hangar with it. Here are some pics of the Cutlas in game and of the Asteroid hangar concept art:

Thanks! I applied as soon as i purchased.

Why are people that bought $500 ships on average complaining about shitty mouse controls?

The only controller you should be using to pilot a space ship is a joystick, and you can get a great one for way less than you spent on your ship, not to mention its not exclusively bound to be used in one game like the ship is.

I hope they go so far as to put a mouse icon next to the player profile like mario kart did with the wheel or nunchuck / wiimote icons. Hopefully they keep the mouse as a input device at just an "acceptable" level, and dont optimize it to the point where its more accurate and easier to pilot with a mouse than a joystick. Those of us who want to experience the game how its meant to be played shouldn't be put at a disadvantage because of some whiners.

I agree with you. CR has, AFAIK, stated from the beginning that this was going to be a sim. You play sims with controllers, not keyboard and mouse. Of course, that functionality should exist, and one or two people should even get competent with it. However, why would anybody NOT want to control their spaceship with a joystick (pre-alpha problems with joystick controls aside)?

Your arguments that people should only be playing with joysticks is just as ludicrous as some of the retarded arguments you occasionally come across on these forums that people should only play third person or platform games with gamepad! Its nonsense, a keyboard and mouse is perfectly viable as long as the devs optimise and balance it properly, as is the case with just about EVERY SPACE SIM RELEASED TO THIS POINT. Name a space sim and I would have played it with a keyboard.....x-wing, tie fighter, wing commander 1 - 4, privateer, freelancer, freespace 1 & 2, etc.

As it is the engine is capable of allowing complete rebinding of movement to the keyboard, and in fact can be done by creating a custom XML file as per the following instructions:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/110454/actionmap-and-controller-mapping/p1

Being able to control pitch and yaw with the keyboard solved 95% of my complaints with the movement, it is significantly more precise and intuitive than the shitty default mouse controls. The only problem is that using my custom keybind messes with the mouse aiming and resets the aiming reticle to the center of the HUD. Hopefully this all gets fixed once they official patch in a UI for rebinding the controls.

And joystick users are complaining because of the pixel precision that a mouse has over a joystick when it comes to aiming gimbaled weapons, which is amplified with the auto tracking. There is strength in the argument, mouse users simply have better precision in aiming, you can quickly snap to a target and fire without even having to do much in the way of leading. That argument however falls flat as soon as it comes to maneuvering the because the current implementation flat out sucks, a joystick user should be able to easily take down someone with a mouse by simply getting close and flying circles around them. They become even more deadly if they can have secondary controller to control the gimbaled weapons.

Personally I think all of these balancing issues stem from the gimbaled weapons, I would have no problem in removing them entirely from small fighters or making them only controllable by a second player.

Last edited:
GRAPHICS UPDATE:

1) Turn off Vsync on the console
r_Vsync 0
Now you will only get artifacts if your in game FPS goes below your max fps set on console

I can now push 60fps without artifacts using SLI on 2560x1440 using GTX680's or 250fps at 800x600 :)

You just discovered you can turn off vsync? :p
I haven't tried on single screen but on Eyefinity I get a solid 50 (sys_maxfps limited) @6048x1200 Bezel corrected using a pair of 290Xs

Also related to the discussion of gimbaled weapons, this is what a dev had to say:
The weapons are no longer Class 1, they're all Class 2 - in playtesting a fixed gun less powerful than the ones the Vanduul carry were basically useless. Those plasma cannons alone on the Scythe can destroy your shields in 1-2 hits, and yet the game isn't unplayable because it's REALLY hard to hit with only Class 1's at the speeds and maneuverabilities seen in this game. This is also why the gimballed weapons auto-compensate for velocity (they DON'T auto aim - you still have to aim right at the target, the weapons just try to compensate for target velocity based on their own projectile velocity, which is the only reason you can aim more than one gun type at once). We are working on finding the best system for the ITTS still.

Further clarification:
There will be(class 1s), the Scythes have NO gimballed weapons. Class 1 will be reserved for large, heavy guns like the Vanduul plasma cannon

On the control scheme complaints comparing mouse vs. joystick, people should read up on the term Pilot-Induced Oscillation:

Someone from the forums explained it pretty well: https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...-implemented-so-well-it-s-perceived-as-bad/p1
Hello all,
although this may seem one of the usual "flight model is bad" threads, I would like to explain why, in my opinion, the flight model is GREAT, but does not meet the expectations of many.
Most joystick users complain about lag input and overcorrection.
That is true, both exist.
Why?
Because CIG implemented perfectly the thruster system, and how it is handled by the IFCS
There is lag because the maneuvering thrusters, being gimbaled, have to turn to the appropriate direction, and need a little time to pass from zero to full thrust.
There is overcorrection because the pilot, feeling the delay, pushes harder, requiring even more power from the thrusters - and this extra power then means that when the input is ended, the ship still moves as thrusters need to spool down. Basically, we have a case of pilot induced oscillation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot-induced_oscillation

This is not so much a problem with a mouse, since there you are telling the IFCS where you want to go, and the IFCS calculates the correct vectoring of thrust to orient your ship. Basically, your are telling the computer "point my nose towards that asteroid"
With a joystick on the other hand, your are not telling the IFCS where you want to go; you are providing him inputs of pitch,yaw,roll. YOU, the pilot, is the one that must calibrate his input to make sure he stops turning when his nose is pointed at the asteroid.
And this requires getting used to.
I do feel that the maneuvering thrusters need a shorter reaction time, as currently it makes precise maneuvers very difficult. But this is, I believe, something that can be fine-tuned easily by CIG. Increase thruster gimbal rate and shorten time needed to go from zero to full thrust, and you improve overall handling of the ship.
Therefore in my opinion the flight model is not "bad", but perhaps too realistic, and actually easier to use with a mouse, than a joystick, at least for part of the population

In other words, GIT GUD! :D

Last edited:
i think if they just do a better job balancing the weapons per slot gimbald vs non gimbald arguments will become invalid.

for example a Class 1 non gimbaled mount should be order of magnitude more effective than a gimbaled mounted weapon.

as an example the Omnisky VI on the 300i should not gimble at all because they are very powerful sniper like shots, where as the laser up front in the nose hits like you are pissing in the wind.

so if you wanted to take advantage of those hard hitting shots of the omnisky you actually have to line the shots up.

and if that was a hornet you would get 2 Omnisky VI in the nose for those hard hitting shots with weaker weapons up in the ball, on the canard, the wing tips on the hornet tho for me seem like they might be able to break the rule of no class 1's that can gimble tho so its hard to say if it should be a rule that is always there that you can't break or if some ships can bend the rule of class 1 being gimbled if they for example have less maneuverable characteristics and are designed around a special weapon set up for military purposes.

it is hard to balance weapon slots when we dont have a full range of weapons to choose from all class and size spectrums

i tried putting the omnisky's in the nose of the hornet but as soon as i used up all the energy in them the slots just stopped working all together. aiming with them was not bad tho there is a hexegon on your screen for the class 1 stationary mounts just line that up and fire.

Just broke $45M.

Now with letter from the chairman: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13930-Letter-From-The-Chairman-45-Million
There's also a poll for the next ship to be featured in a commercial, so go vote!

At $45 million, you’ve unlocked one of our backer-selected rewards, the mysterious Hadesian artifact. We have some cool plans for exactly what this will kick off in the Persistent Universe… but you’ll have to explore that aspect of the game yourself! Here are the details:

Hadesian Artifact – The mystery of what happened in Hades has been one of the great archeological puzzles ever since the system was discovered in the early 26th Century. The evidence suggests that the Hadesians nearly erased their entire civilization in devastating civil war that left a planet cracked in half, but so many questions remained. Who were these Hadesians? How did the war get started? Over the centuries, even the public became enamored by the mystery of this system. This curiosity was inflamed when scientists recently discovered a lone Hadesian artifact on the black market of all places. Trinket manufacturers quickly tried to capitalize on the resurgence of interest by building exact copies of the artifact for sale to the public, even replicating the unidentified symbols along the base…

For your final ‘flare’ reward, you’ve voted for the “Engine Tuning Kit.” Here’s the newly-unlocked official description:

Engine Tuning Kit – Wilkes & Federman MaxTune Kit has become one of the best-selling starter kits for the discerning home enthusiast. Featured in Whitley’s latest Steal of the Year issue, this kit comes with everything the fledgling engineer needs to take a deeper look into the mechanics of their engine. With a Tap Analyzer, you will be able to view your engine’s current output and energy draw numbers in an easy and comprehensible way. Use the thirty-eight piece omnitool to access your engine to start tweaking. Wilkes & Federman is not responsible for damage incurred after tuning your engine. Please consult with manufacturer’s warranty before performing work.

Last edited:
Debating on whether to post some full size eyefinity shots to kill people's scroll wheels lol

On the control scheme complaints comparing mouse vs. joystick, people should read up on the term Pilot-Induced Oscillation:

Someone from the forums explained it pretty well: https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...-implemented-so-well-it-s-perceived-as-bad/p1

In other words, GIT GUD! :D

Because clearly, Apple-esque "You are doing it wrong!" makes perfect sense for those who complain that they game they paid hundreds of dollars into isn't FUN to them.

Saying that people's expectations are wrong is not the solution to the KB/M issue unless CIG starts to offer refunds on the cash paid in, that would be a true measure of how many backers are still behind the project.

Ultimately it doesn't matter whether something is realistic, or working as intended, if a large number of those customers the game was made for are not having fun using the game. This is especially an issue if the longevity of the game depends on people liking it as opposed to it being a one time cash-grab.

The thing is that IMHO CIG needs to get in front of this before the blogosphere will fill with SC's controls suck posts. Clearly there's a growing number of those who tried it and think that the controls are currently less than optimal. Once the Internet fills with posts like that it will be difficult to get rid of all that negative publicity.

They should just come out and make a post that says "Hey, we understand that some KB/M users aren't happy, rest assured that we will absolutely definitely get the control scheme right, we just wanted you to have DFM now rather than delay it further."

It doesn't really bother me that the controls suck given it's such an early build, it just baffles me why they didn't put a bit more effort in to it before release because like it or not, the game WILL be judged by many people on how it plays now. In some ways, giant bugs are less of a problem than people reading about how the ships suck balls to control.

Your arguments that people should only be playing with joysticks is ludicrous

I fully support anyone that cant afford / hates the use of joysticks to use an alternative input method without completely sucking.

I'm arguing that joysticks are, for most people, a more immersing and fun way to control an air/space craft. I'm pointing fun at the penny pinchers that spend hundreds of dollars to be an internet spaceship baron but at the same time don't even have a basic logitech joystick; not because they don't want to pilot a ship with one but because they cant "justify the cost".

If you're not in that camp and just feel more at home using a mouse for every game, regardless of if a specific input control is developed for the genre, thats fine.

The reason most of us bought into this game to back it, was that it is being billed as a space simulator- I do not think its much to ask that the mouse controls take a backseat to getting the joystick as an input method working like butter first. I'd rather see them err on the side of a joystick being an easier and better way to control the spacecraft, THEN make sure mice work just as well (but never better than, like you said balanced) a joystick.

Right now we have a pre-alpha and I only have access to vanduul swarm, so I'm sure a lot will change. My opinion was based on right now, and right now I can beat more waves a lot faster in the swarm using a mouse than the joystick because its a lot easier to target enemies and with a large mousepad and high dpi mouse, I'm not really having much difficulty piloting the ship either.

Ultimately, all competitive players will end up using whatever control scheme gives them the biggest competitive advantage. Which, frankly, will probably be gamepad. Sorry, $500 joystick owners.

Ultimately, all competitive players will end up using whatever control scheme gives them the biggest competitive advantage. Which, frankly, will probably be gamepad. Sorry, $500 joystick owners.

i don't see gamepads being better than a hotas setup, not enough buttons on a gamepad

Why do you think game pads with be better? A gamepad is nothing more than 2 little joysticks with less buttons ... There isn't a gamepad on the market that can compete with the utility and precision of a $500 joystick.

I figured mouse would be the most competitive unless they really gimp it as it typically gives the fastest and most accurate aiming.

I was just reading about the Freelancer MIS variant, the damn thing can hold over a little over 50 missiles haha... Then I was thinking to myself I bet that it may end up being very expensive ship to operate.

I think I know why mouse/keyboard controls are gimped and there is a good reason behind it.

If any of you played WarThunder, you would know that mouse aiming makes the game much much easier and developers of warthunder try to change how mouse behaves in some modes by converting the mouse pointer to point to a location on a 2D circular plane. which represents where you would hypothetically place the Joystick, in order to manuever the plane.

I mean mouse aim breaks most simulation based games which are after immersion when multiplayer aspect is introduced. I am pretty sure Chris Roberts does not want 99% of the community to use Mouse and if he could have his way, he would want everyone on a HOTAS setup fully enjoying and immersing themselves in the game. Now of course due to economical reasons he cannot force a Joystick only game, although it would have been absolutely amazing, the least he could do is leave the game with not so easy to use or precise mouse controls, trying to push people to give the HOTAS or controller setups a try.

They did the same thing with 3rd person view. People were complaining that they wanted to see their ship while fighting, Roberts did not want the game to be an arcade shooter and wanted to force immersion so what do they do? You can go on 3rd person, but it is pretty much useless for any kind of multi player interaction.

I am actually a huge supporter of cockpit view and joystick as the most effective way of controlling your ship.

Like if an equally skilled Joystick and mouse user get in a dog fight, Joystick user should have the advantage. Simplifying and dumbing down controls should not give you an advantage or even keep you on par with everything your ship can do.

People say, "yeah give me a ship that has millions of moving parts, I want to see the 3 out of 10 individual boosters kicking in while I am maneuvering in 3D space, adjusting my throttle on the fly, use my advanced targeting system and while I am strafing using side boosters, let me keep my ship in line with enemy ship and let me individually point my weapons to the fly path of the enemy ship and destory him using my lasers, bullets and missiles"

I understand all this takes a dual stick 30 button hotas setup + pedals
let me do it just as well with a 2 button mouse only...

Just joined and (thanks to my aunt's early present) purchased the $140 package with the F7C-R package. Problem is when I go to download the game it immediately takes me to the package purchase screen with no option of just downloading the game.

I've searched yet it hasn't been fruitful. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. :)

Like if an equally skilled Joystick and mouse user get in a dog fight, Joystick user should have the advantage.

If the pilots are equally skilled the method of control should shouldn't play a huge roll in which one wins. Its not "oh this guy has a Joystick", he wins by default. I'm all for sim play but sim players aren't going to keep the game afloat in the long run, the KB/Mouse turners are. I don't think one control method should be absolutely better than another just because it exists but I do think they will have inherent advantages.

Long-term assumptions:

Mouse will have quicker more precise aiming and probably more on target time depending on weapon type.

Joystick will have smoother and finer flight/throttle control which will aid in target acquisition/follow through and evasive maneuvers.

IF Oculus allows for aim control of gimballed weapons via the headset then I could see the Joystick/Oculus combo on top overall ahead of the other control methods. Mouse more than likely would still have a an aiming advantage though not nearly as much over the joystick alone. I also think this will be the preferred setup of the hardcore sim crowd also long as Oculus hits retail before the game launch.

The biggest barrier with Joystick/HOTAS and Oculus/TrackIR atm is the additional upfront costs. $200+ for a HOTAS here and $200+ VR control can add up pretty quick

Just joined and (thanks to my aunt's early present) purchased the $140 package with the F7C-R package. Problem is when I go to download the game it immediately takes me to the package purchase screen with no option of just downloading the game.

I've searched yet it hasn't been fruitful. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. :)

The Single-Ship game package with the Tracker is $155, the Tracker by itself is $140 and does not include the game. You will probably also need the $5 Arena commander pass.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/210-f7c-r-hornet-tracker is what you bought.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/326-hornet-f7c-r-tracker and https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/403-arena-commander-pass is what you need to play atm.

All you need to do is melt your current package after 24hrs have passed and then rebuy the other two things for an additional $20 after you apply the $140 credit from the melted ship.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll do that 24 hours from now.

The Single-Ship game package with the Tracker is $155, the Tracker by itself is $140 and does not include the game. You will probably also need the $5 Arena commander pass.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/210-f7c-r-hornet-tracker is what you bought.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/326-hornet-f7c-r-tracker and https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/403-arena-commander-pass is what you need to play atm.

All you need to do is melt your current package after 24hrs have passed and then rebuy the other two things for an additional $20 after you apply the $140 credit from the melted ship.

I think I know why mouse/keyboard controls are gimped and there is a good reason behind it.

If any of you played WarThunder, you would know that mouse aiming makes the game much much easier and developers of warthunder try to change how mouse behaves in some modes by converting the mouse pointer to point to a location on a 2D circular plane. which represents where you would hypothetically place the Joystick, in order to manuever the plane.

I mean mouse aim breaks most simulation based games which are after immersion when multiplayer aspect is introduced. I am pretty sure Chris Roberts does not want 99% of the community to use Mouse and if he could have his way, he would want everyone on a HOTAS setup fully enjoying and immersing themselves in the game. Now of course due to economical reasons he cannot force a Joystick only game, although it would have been absolutely amazing, the least he could do is leave the game with not so easy to use or precise mouse controls, trying to push people to give the HOTAS or controller setups a try.

They did the same thing with 3rd person view. People were complaining that they wanted to see their ship while fighting, Roberts did not want the game to be an arcade shooter and wanted to force immersion so what do they do? You can go on 3rd person, but it is pretty much useless for any kind of multi player interaction.

I am actually a huge supporter of cockpit view and joystick as the most effective way of controlling your ship.

Like if an equally skilled Joystick and mouse user get in a dog fight, Joystick user should have the advantage. Simplifying and dumbing down controls should not give you an advantage or even keep you on par with everything your ship can do.

People say, "yeah give me a ship that has millions of moving parts, I want to see the 3 out of 10 individual boosters kicking in while I am maneuvering in 3D space, adjusting my throttle on the fly, use my advanced targeting system and while I am strafing using side boosters, let me keep my ship in line with enemy ship and let me individually point my weapons to the fly path of the enemy ship and destory him using my lasers, bullets and missiles"

I understand all this takes a dual stick 30 button hotas setup + pedals
let me do it just as well with a 2 button mouse only...

To put it simply, if the game is realistic mouse controls will suck without artificial balancing. If the game can be played just as well on a mouse/keyboard then the game is simply not a simulator. Try playing a flight sim with a keyboard and mouse and see how far it gets you. Arcade style flight games actually handle better with a mouse/keyboard. And then games like BF where they don't even attempt to put effort into the flight are essentially impossible to use a HOTAS for.

If Star Citizen handles well with a mouse then it as much of a space sim as Ace Combat is a flight sim; in name only. Doesn't mean it can't be fun (big Ace Combat fan, like Strike Suit Zero ect.).

this just popped into my head.

mouse/keyboard seems like it would be the perfect setup for someone who isn't flying a ship. if you're a member of the crew on a larger ship and you've got gun duties... seems like it's a pretty good fit as you won't have to deal with flying.

this just popped into my head.

mouse/keyboard seems like it would be the perfect setup for someone who isn't flying a ship. if you're a member of the crew on a larger ship and you've got gun duties... seems like it's a pretty good fit as you won't have to deal with flying.

That would make sense. Might be where a controller is useful; going from a boarding team member to controlling a ship. Not as good as a mouse and K/B for shooting and not as good as a HOTAS for flying, but it is one device that can perform both duties.

this is for the announcement of the NEXT GREAT STARSHIP WINNER..(FAN made starship that gets into game)

Yup, a buddy and I drove down.

imagejpg1_zpse74b2d09.jpg

I'm on the far left my buddy is in the middle.

Last edited:
Back