Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

I am guessing TrackIR support isn't implemented in this yet, because my TrackIR doesn't kick on when the game starts.

Yup, no track IR support yet, once it's supported that will be my next purchase.

Its too bad its relatively expensive as peripherals go. Been meaning to buy one for Arma III chopper piloting, I hear it makes a big diff in flying games in general.

I tried swapping weapons between ships last night and found you CAN put two nose guns in the Hornet, they show up as an additional weapon group and are fixed forward. So there are fixed mounts, I guess the 300i wing mounts (and the Aurora? don't have one) got an upgrade to class2, at least for now.

You can shoot the Hornet's ball turret at extreme angles not possible with the mouse with the Oculus Rift. Hoping they get some of the other major bugs with it fixed by the time the DK2 gets here, should be a really fun way to play, but will require practice to learn to lead targets with your face. :) HOTAS + Rift will be an awesome way to dogfight.

Still getting used to using my X52pro after not using a flight stick for so long but I'm getting there after some of the control mapping fixes from the forums. Still a blast playing it even in this alpha state.

Its too bad its relatively expensive as peripherals go. Been meaning to buy one for Arma III chopper piloting, I hear it makes a big diff in flying games in general.

It makes a big difference in ArmA in general, even as infantry. Really awesome device if you play a lot of sim games.

HOTAS + Rift will be an awesome way to dogfight.

In your opinion, even if they squash some bugs, do you think that a HOTAS + Rift user while being way more immersed in the combat would be at a disadvantage to some kid with his 10,000 DPI mouse on his 144hz monitor flicking his ship around almost unrealistic like?

In your opinion, even if they squash some bugs, do you think that a HOTAS + Rift user while being way more immersed in the combat would be at a disadvantage to some kid with his 10,000 DPI mouse on his 144hz monitor flicking his ship around almost unrealistic like?

A HOTAS user is always going to have more degrees of movement available to them at any given point in time. Then add in all of the customizable buttons and 4 way hats and I can't see how a user with a mouse on a flat pad is going to compete. Unless they finish the game and it plays like CoD: Space, HOTAS will be the preferred control method.

I'm betting by the time the CV1 comes out the answer will be NO, the mouse user won't have an advantage. The mouse lets you aim well but also limits you by not letting you have full control of your turning at the same time. Also, you can't flick the ships around instantly, they already have full physics in so your turn rate is limited by the ship mass and maneuvering thruster power. I can tell the 300i turns a lot better than Hornet already.

Well right now it kind of feels like CoD: Space to me is why I was asking, I'm way faster using the mouse. But I don't have a rift to try out which is why I was asking TroubleMagnet.

also keep in mind that flicking his ship around will most likely make him constantly black out trying to pull too many g's everyone is limited to the same g's per second where only maybe having a better flight suit might change how many g's you can take within a given moment.

Anyone have experience yet with the Thrustmaster Warthog? I was thinking of going that route for a HOTAS but dual joystick or even the X55 are sounding decent. Too many choices. On the one hand I really want to get something now and start having fun but on the other hand waiting for something more official might be better. Damn I was doing so well at staying away for the past couple months and not spending money and here I am again.

I'm using one that I had since 2011, still going strong. I feel like the cheaper plastic X55 may be quicker to flick around as these ships move much faster than the A10 that the stick was designed around. Its certainly higher quality, but if you're buying a stick just for this game you might want a cheaper one thats easier to use... Maybe look into a CH Fighterstick and Throttle, that will be about $200 and be leaps and bounds over the Saitek IMO.

There are some mods you can make to the warthog to smooth it out (open it up, sand down some edges and change out the grease) but I haven't done them yet and am not sure of the actual level of improvement.

If you know you'll be getting into flight sims for some reason, then go warthog for sure as most planes are a lot less agile so the slower movement of the stick can actually aid you in making slower more precise movements.

Anyone have experience yet with the Thrustmaster Warthog? I was thinking of going that route for a HOTAS but dual joystick or even the X55 are sounding decent. Too many choices. On the one hand I really want to get something now and start having fun but on the other hand waiting for something more official might be better. Damn I was doing so well at staying away for the past couple months and not spending money and here I am again.

1HFq2sI.jpg

I don't mean to plug in my channel over and over again, but if it gets more views I guess I can get that 780Ti SLI setup that I am yearning for :)

Oh, not in StarCitizen but here is pretty much everything you want to know about Warthog, Saitek and CH hotas systems.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL692XUyQBCq9SNxXCO-MUMog_ja1GuLXl

New patch (~2.3GB) downloading and I type this. :) Hopefully it will be the multiplayer content :cool:

Edit. Ohh I know what it is :D This is on the very last page of the manual PDF

EAPrdkL.jpg

Edit 2: May have spoken too soon, patch notes are up: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//13929-Star-Citizen-Patch-121

Updates
Increased the size of production server and deployed servers with Google Compute
Added HOTAS mapping XML files to Arena Commander
Updated Arena Commander controls screen to include HOTAS mappings and updated other control screens to reflect current controls accurately
Added XML for joysticks to allow swapping Yaw and Roll mappings
Adjusted power consumption and the speed of the laser bolt for the Klaus and Werner CF007 Bulldog

Bugs Fixed
Unable to access multiplayer with an account that contains the appropriate multiplayer game mode items
Resolved an issue in multiplayer where the pilot enter animation would play every time you respawn
Resolved an issue with the Hornet’s Gatling gun which would cause it to begin taking heat damage prior to reaching a critical heat state
Resolved an issue with the AI firing their Gatling guns constantly until they were destroyed due to heat damage
Resolved an issue with pilot animations becoming offset in the 300i when viewed in 3rd person
Resolved an issue which caused the animations for pitching up and down in the cockpit to be reversed.
Resolved an issue which caused AI who were destroyed when the player blew up their engine and reactor to register as having committed suicide.
Resolved an issue in multiplayer that would often cause a crash of the server and clients at the end of a round
Corrected an issue with cooling on the 300i which could cause unintentional overheating under normal operating conditions

Last edited:

I use the HOTAS Warthog & Saitek Combat rudder pedal setup. The stick is by far the best one I've put my hands on. Throttle is good but not very ergonomic and has a plastic feel to it compared to the stick.

Personally I would wait to see how this mouse aiming the guns turns out before putting down that much money on a setup. Currently aiming your guns with the mouse blows away using a joystick, but I hate how the game plays using the mouse, it just makes the game feel cheap, but that's just my view.

The update may also include the Freelancer Variants also. I think today was the eluded at date for their release.

atleast patch is going at a good rate, 3-5MB/s a lot better than the 200KB that AC downloaded at.

Hopefully it stays that way I forgot to leave my client open before I went to work lol..

wonder if i should sell my lti pirate pack lol, i am pretty happy starting with my super hornet and m50, although it would suck to lose the asteroid hangar.

edit- also the freelancer variants are up, $140 for the DUR $155 for the MAX game package, 180 for the MIS. pretty standard pricing still

Last edited:
Just in case anyone is stuck at a work network where they can't view em:

6.6.14 Patch Notes

Today’s patch adds the Freelancer variants to the Hangar and gives backers a first look at the two TNGS finalist ships! Vote for your favorite during the live TNGS broadcast, Saturday, June 7th at 3 PM PST.

PLEASE NOTE: Your Hangar has temporarily been updated to Deluxe to display the TNGS finalists. The ships will be removed and your normal Hangar returned after the finale.

Updates
  • Added upgraded base Freelancer and all variants to the Hangar Module
  • Upgraded all backers to Deluxe Hangars so we can add the TNGS finalist ships
  • Increased the size of production server and deployed servers with Google Compute
  • Added Four Horseman’s – Aegis Dynamics – Redeemer – to all backer hangars
  • Added Shard Collective’s – Origin Jumpworks – AX114 Boomslang – to all backer hangars
  • Light polish and hookup work on The Next Great Starship ships for display in the hangar
  • Add missiles to the freelancer_max
  • Adjusted power consumption and the speed of the laser bolt for the Klaus and Werner CF007 Bulldog
Bugs Fixed
  • Unable to access multiplayer with an account that contains the appropriate multiplayer game mode items
  • Resolved an issue in multiplayer where the pilot enter animation would play every time you respawn
  • Resolved an issue with the Hornet’s Gatling gun which would cause it to begin taking heat damage prior to reaching a critical heat state
  • Resolved an issue with the AI firing their Gatling guns constantly until they were destroyed due to heat damage
  • Resolved an issue with pilot animations becoming offset in the 300i when viewed in 3rd person
  • Resolved an issue which caused the animations for pitching up and down in the cockpit to be reversed.
  • Resolved an issue which caused AI who were destroyed when the player blew up their engine and reactor to register as having committed suicide.
  • Resolved an issue in multiplayer that would often cause a crash of the server and clients at the end of a round
  • Corrected an issue with cooling on the 300i which could cause unintentional overheating under normal operating conditions

EDIT: Whoops, Lorien already got it. Wasn't up when I looked before. Sorry about the double.

wonder if i should sell my lti pirate pack lol, i am pretty happy starting with my super hornet and m50, although it would suck to lose the asteroid hangar.

edit- also the freelancer variants are up, $155 for the max game package

Do what I did, sell it then buy a non lti cutlass pack. Sold my digital pirate lti for $220, purchased a cutlass pack and freelancer pack and just played the $25 diff

Well this is cool. We get to look at the Merc gunships in our hangar before the finale vote!

Hmm that must've just happened because when I loaded in there were no extra ships. Gonna check it out

Edit: Yup, another patch downloading now.

Do what I did, sell it then buy a non lti cutlass pack. Sold my digital pirate lti for $220, purchased a cutlass pack and freelancer pack and just played the $25 diff

hmm, that would work too. i do not really care about LTI, i could get the cutlass back and maybe an avenger to play with once those are in AC. and then melt them both if retaliator goes up for sale and get that.

i put the pirate pack up, for 23 litecoins see if anyone nibbles at that price heh.

guess i should of read the patch notes, i was not expecting TNGS to be in my hangar i was like wtf are all these ships then i noticed the clamp engines on the 4 horseman ship heh

Last edited:
hmm, that would work too. i do not really care about LTI, i could get the cutlass back and maybe an avenger to play with once those are in AC. and then melt them both if retaliator goes up for sale and get that.

i put the pirate pack up, for 23 litecoins see if anyone nibbles at that price heh.

Yup. I love my,cutlass and want to keep it and wanted to see freelancer, if they ever bring the,gladiator back I'll melt freelancer for it very quick. Honestly lti isn't that great, but,its,worth at least $100 profit on reddit lol

Well right now it kind of feels like CoD: Space to me is why I was asking, I'm way faster using the mouse. But I don't have a rift to try out which is why I was asking TroubleMagnet.

It certainly does, but I think that will change as development progresses. :p

I'm using one that I had since 2011, still going strong. I feel like the cheaper plastic X55 may be quicker to flick around as these ships move much faster than the A10 that the stick was designed around. Its certainly higher quality, but if you're buying a stick just for this game you might want a cheaper one thats easier to use... Maybe look into a CH Fighterstick and Throttle, that will be about $200 and be leaps and bounds over the Saitek IMO.

There are some mods you can make to the warthog to smooth it out (open it up, sand down some edges and change out the grease) but I haven't done them yet and am not sure of the actual level of improvement.

If you know you'll be getting into flight sims for some reason, then go warthog for sure as most planes are a lot less agile so the slower movement of the stick can actually aid you in making slower more precise movements.

I am pretty sure you will need pedals with the CH Fighterstick as that does not twist. So add on another $100 or so.

Some Eyefinity screenshots of the TNGS finalist ships in the hangar. It seems you can't get inside them but I'll keep trying.

Rob just confirmed in chat, interiors are not working on the TNGS ships:
B3qsYeM.jpg

LB1UhMb.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I want to see the insides. Also they need some spot lights or something, its pretty dark in there.

Sweet the Freelancer MAX is cheaper than the MIS, I would have figured with the MAX changing the hull it would have been more like the 350R and Super Hornet. I also like that they offered the "Special Item" from the Limited Edition package for sale also. I hope they do the same with the Lightspeed and Weeked Warrior items if they decide to resell them in the future, it's just a nice option to have.

A small recap of the week for those just tuning in.
May Monthly report: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13918-Monthly-Report-May-2014
Outsource.jpg

10 for the Chairman Episode 23: http://youtu.be/_9zJm8pK48E
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13908-10-For-The-Chairman-Episode-23

Final Wingman's Hangar (episode 72): http://youtu.be/5iinedSnyko
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13920-Wingmans-Hangar-Episode-72

Arena Commander released:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13909-Arena-Commander-Launched
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13925-Arena-Commander-V08-Thank-You
StarCitizenDev-2014-04-11-16-05-04-40.jpg

Cross chassis upgrades available on the store (limited for now only to ships available in Arena Commander, more will be available as ships are added to the game): https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/cross-chassis-upgrades

Freelancer variants launched and available at the store: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13926-Introducing-The-Freelancer-Line-Up
Freelancer_flight_visual.jpg

TNGS final preview: Everyone gets a deluxe hangar upgrade for one week and inside you'll have the finalist ships.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/.../13928-The-Next-Great-Starship-Finale-Preview

So buying a package now and the dogfighting pass would basically get you in the door immediately?

Does anyone know if you apply an upgrade purchased with store credits (so it can't be gifted) to a currently gift-able package if it locks it to your account?

Back