Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

Isn't the Super Hornet not only the only ship with the turret, but also a two-person cockpit (pilot and RIO)? I always assumed that the RIO would control the turret.

Isn't the Super Hornet not only the only ship with the turret, but also a two-person cockpit (pilot and RIO)? I always assumed that the RIO would control the turret.

yeah super hornet has 2 seats, the hornet in the arena commander is the normal single seat civilian F7C hornet with a ball turret added. all hornet variants can use the ball turret

there is also the canard turret and 2 nose mounted lasers missing from the hornet in the arena commander so the hornet as you can fly it now is not even at half strength, you could easily get better weapons for all the weapon slots plus canard turret and nose mounted gun mounts. hornet is going to be a beast

Avengers nose point is in a ball turret as of now.

flight module is out? :confused:

is that rock heavy? :cool:

finally got it working had to do this
https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...ible-fix-for-windows-7-users-stuck-on-loading

using windows 8.1 but it still worked so i could get out of the constant loading screen. at hangar start up

knocked the wings off the 300i in free flight, it reminded me of the "johnson" bit from austin powers. it looks like a giant $%#@

StarCitizen2014-06-0514-26-07-086.png

Last edited:
Well, uh, how would the problem you cite be any better on a keyboard, and not IRL worse? We humans are limited by the fact we only have two hands to work with. With a HOTAS, you usually have a hat switches so you could decouple the weapons and control them with a single finger (in theory).

Either way, this is why ships with turrets tend to be larger than single-person vessels. because to really make the most of turrets, you need another set of hands.

Sorry, I think I was misunderstood. I don't mean like a full, independent turret. I mean where if you are using the mouse and keyboard, wherever the mouse pointer goes on your HUD is where you will fire...even the basic lasers are not "fixed" to be aiming directly forward, they move from center slightly when you move the mouse around (to an extent).

It's the same thing they did in Freelancer...basically if you move the mouse around a small amount from center, only the guns will move. If you move it further, the whole ship turns.

This control scheme works well with a mouse, but with a joystick I am not sure.

I guess if they could somehow move the guns and the ship proportionally when you turn the joystick, something like that might work. Just typically, in the past with games like Wing Commander, all of your weapons are fixed on the center and you have to bring the enemy into your crosshair to hit them. With this new style the crosshair is not fixed and can move around a bit within the HUD area.

i think it is a bit give and take, because in order for a mouse user to get those gun controls they give up on some of the ships movements in that "dead zone" where the guns move.

so when you move to a joystick you have a choice you dont really get those fine gun controls but you never lose any control of the movement of the ship.

if you want fine gun controls while using a joystick or hotas you do have the option to use oculus rift or track ir for precise turret controls, another option is to take one hand off your joystick/hotas setup and use a mouse and your joystick at the same time so you could essentially fly with your left hand and control turret aiming with the mouse in your right if you cant afford track ir or an oculus or some other motion tracking setup

I was playing with the the sys_max fps tweak and on my machine and the number has to be half or less than what you current FPS to work. I was getting 60 fps in most areas of my hangar but in others I would dip down to 50, I had to go to max 25 fps and it would clear it up. If I would look at an area where I would get 80 fps I could go as high as sys_max fps 40 but as soon as I looked into another area and fps dropped the artifacts came back.

I was playing with radeaon pro and it works sometimes and other times it doesn't. Sys_max fps is still good though since even though your running at single card speeds your cards are heating up as bad.

Recommendations on a hotas setup?

Something cheap as I've never had one before. Thinking about the Thrustmaster t-thrust

yeah super hornet has 2 seats, the hornet in the arena commander is the normal single seat civilian F7C hornet with a ball turret added. all hornet variants can use the ball turret

Except the Tracker, right? It's got the ECM module there.

Oh wait. I guess you can put the ball up there. You just lose the radar unit.

I can't believe they never put in a "close hatch, retract ladder" button inside the ships.

right you take the tracker module out and put in the ball turret, just like in the PU you can buy a tracker unit and put that in your super hornet if you want too instead of the ball turret.

so the second seat in that situation can control all the radar functions while the pilot focuses on flying.

super hornet having that second seat is pretty amazing, a long with it having the same max power plant size as the military hornet it is going to have a lot of energy for shields and weapons since it only has a single main thruster to worry about.

and like i mentioned before the F7C we get to fly right now is a neutered Hornet, its missing the 2 class 1 weapons in the nose, as well as the canard turret that sits under the nose.

It makes you take notice just how much of a beast the hornet is compared to the 300i

The hornet also has class 4 shield max compared to the 300i's class 3 max

A fully upgraded super hornet is going to be a beast, the F7C doesn't get as large of a power plant so it might need more ammunition based weapons to keep up with the super hornet but it will be a bit lighter and handle a little better than the super. i bet getting the larger power plant in the super hornet will add to its weight a bit and stock it already weighs more than the military hornet.

It just makes me want to get my super hornet into the PU even more thinking about it so much pew pew

Two quick questions:

1) How do missile locks work exactly? Sometimes I get them, but typically it will only target friendlies.

2) Can I change my weapon/ship? I only have an Aurora.

Recommendations on a hotas setup?

Something cheap as I've never had one before. Thinking about the Thrustmaster t-thrust

Saitek X52Pro.

I LOVE IT!!!! While I can see issues with it right now it is still in the very early stages so that is to be expected. It is really getting me excited for flying the super hornet and I can definitely see how a team ship could be awesome. Makes me want them to roll out multiplayer DFM where I can try out my Constellation too!

Now I am just waiting to see what HOTAS setup will be the best to buy because damn that could be fun(Thinking Thrustmaster Warthog but. . .?)

Two quick questions:

1) How do missile locks work exactly? Sometimes I get them, but typically it will only target friendlies.

1) i cant really answer as i have not had a chance to actively try the swarm mode.

2) you can only fly with the aurora and you can not change the weapons on the ships i dont think they have the loadout system working for in arena commander.

if you want to try the 300i you will need to get one the of the aurora -> 300i upgrade packages which i believe costs $30. then you can fly the 300i. it is $85 if you want to go from the aurora to the hornet.

Now I am just waiting to see what HOTAS setup will be the best to buy because damn that could be fun(Thinking Thrustmaster Warthog but. . .?)

yeah i am waiting to see what develops on a special hotas made for SC, also i need to save every thing i have atm so i am prepared for X99 + DDR4 + 8core cpu if that looks to be a nice overhaul option i might do that and get a 1600w psu and move the 3 290's i have into that system. atm just using 2 in my main rig and have a 3rd sitting idle in my other lol. after i have that stuff up and running ill worry about getting a HOTAS to replace my T.16000

Last edited:
You should really read the manual, pretty much everything is answered there: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...urce/Arena-Commander-Pilots-Guide-V0-8-02.pdf
Edit: Heck you don't even need to read the manual, just press ESC and look in the Key Bindings menu. :p
Two quick questions:

You need to be within 1500meters of the target to be able to use missiles.
You lock on with the middle mouse button. One click paints the target with the red reticle, another click fires the missile, if you fire and hold the button you get a missile view chase cam (which is awesome).

Yes you can if you have bought any weapons from the store or can swap them from other ships you own. You go into the hangar's holotable and change the weapons there prior to boarding your ship/launching Arena Commander.

I was able to use the weapons from my Constellation in the Hornet and I also replaced the nose gun from the test 300i with the one of my 325A.

Last edited:
feels so wrong not being able to add the nose weapons to the loaner hornet, i want those 2 weapons slots!

i moved the omnisky VI from the loaner 300i to the hornet so the ball turret can pack more of a punch.

So I notice my Aurora LX and LN "upgrades" are sitting in my Hangar and there is an "Apply Upgrade" button...I guess I should click it? Why do you have to apply the upgrade seperately?

So now I have 3 ships thanks to selling my cutlass lti. Cutlass, freelancer and khartu. Have they mentioned a time limit on being able to melt ships? Not sure if I want to keep this freelancer, I may melt it if they bring back the gladiator in a sale as I think the cutlass will make a better explore and light trade ship. If I fly the freelancer in later modules will it lock it in? Or will I be able to melt it

yeah i am waiting to see what develops on a special hotas made for SC

I am going to assume it is Saitek. They are lower end and cheaper, but they probably move the most units because of that. I am thinking it will be a custom X-55 since that is new. In the past they did customized X-45s for Ace Combat 5 and 6.

Holy hell this is awesome. No issues running it on my PC, and the framerate is actually quite good with my R9 290. Combat was really hard though until I figured out that there was a targeting system :p

Found a workaround to get Crossfire/SLI to work, cap your framerate to 30fps (sys_maxfps 30 in console)
While it does kinda defeat the purpose of Crossfire/SLI it makes it possible to run Eyefinity without the flicker and it looks freaking amazing.

Took some screenshots.

According to my tests the artifacts occur if you have less than max_fps number or above 50 fps if you have SLI enabled.

I am currently SLI'ing with no artifacts at 50fps. To get 50 fps with no artifacts you may need to set your limit a bit lower, like 47 since fps can be +-2 fps max at any given time.
Of course you need a rig that can handle the game at 50fps with Eyefinity.

I think the flight modeling is ok at the moment, I really like the difference with COMSTAB on/off.

I have to say the only thing that really bugs me and I don't like at the moment is they have tied the Strafe mode (up,down,left,right, front, reverse etc..) to decoupled, I really don't understand why they did that. Maybe they have some method to their madness IDK...

The other thing I don't get is the gimbaled weapons and movement being tied to the mouse at the same time. You can't use the mouse to aim the weapons when your using a joystick since it auto centers the aim with the joystick taking priority unless I'm missing something.

Flying with a joystick the game feels great, I switched the X axis to yaw and roll to my pedals targeting vanduul isn't a problem now lol.

I have to say though flying with a mouse feels way different on the flight model. I really don't like it at all with a mouse.

According to my tests the artifacts occur if you have less than max_fps number or above 50 fps if you have SLI enabled.

I am currently SLI'ing with no artifacts at 50fps. To get 50 fps with no artifacts you may need to set your limit a bit lower, like 47 since fps can be +-2 fps max at any given time.
Of course you need a rig that can handle the game at 50fps with Eyefinity.

Nice this worked for me, currently running at a solid 50fps with no artifacts by setting limit at 48. This is on very high with bezel corrected 6048x1200 Eyefinity.
P.S: Without the limit I get low-mid 60s at the same resolution but it's obviously artifact city.

Last edited:
I think the flight modeling is ok at the moment, I really like the difference with COMSTAB on/off.

I have to say the only thing that really bugs me and I don't like at the moment is they have tied the Strafe mode (up,down,left,right, front, reverse etc..) to decoupled, I really don't understand why they did that. Maybe they have some method to their madness IDK...

The other thing I don't get is the gimbaled weapons and movement being tied to the mouse at the same time. You can't use the mouse to aim the weapons when your using a joystick since it auto centers the aim with the joystick taking priority unless I'm missing something.

id be willing to bet the joystick taking priority is just a result of pre alpha or atleast when we get full settings control we will see the ability to use both joystick and mouse.with either a toggle or it will be set up because there is no reason you should not be able to look around with the mouse while flying with a joystick it will be essential for players not using a track ir or oculus for situational awareness to use the mouse for looking/turret controls while flying with a joystick

id be willing to bet the joystick taking priority is just a result of pre alpha or atleast when we get full settings control we will see the ability to use both joystick and mouse.with either a toggle or it will be set up because there is no reason you should not be able to look around with the mouse while flying with a joystick it will be essential for players not using a track ir or oculus for situational awareness to use the mouse for looking/turret controls while flying with a joystick

Yup there are hundreds of joystick/controller devices in the wild...and getting even a majority of them baseline-sort-of-working for a pre-alpha is a huge undertaking aside from everything else.

Yup there are hundreds of joystick/controller devices in the wild...and getting even a majority of them baseline-sort-of-working for a pre-alpha is a huge undertaking aside from everything else.

It's not like they need to include a driver for each device. A generic joystick driver will do.
For being a PC game the current keyboard/mouse controls are disappointing. I don't think that SC can get away with approaching it like DCS where you have to have specific input devices to actually enjoy the game.

If it's so hard to get all the joystick/controller devices working (I don't actually believe it is given I thought it was just mapping different functions to different axis and you can mostly just let the player decide) then it's even more baffling why the KB/M and/or X360 controller support isn't a bit better, given everyone who is going to play it is going to have a KB/M and many will have an X360 controller.

I think the way I'd best enjoy this game is with a joystick in my left hand (For flying the ship) and a mouse in my right hand (For looking around and targeting)

Any recommendations for an affordable joystick that I could use left handed?

Flying with a joystick the game feels great, I switched the X axis to yaw and roll to my pedals targeting vanduul isn't a problem now lol.

I'm going to do this tonight, I guess its how I played wing commander back in the day but it really pisses me off because of all the muscle memory I've built up in flight sims over the past 15 years.

I get set in my ways with my key bindings, with FPS games I've been using the same controls since Wolfenstein 3D

I think the way I'd best enjoy this game is with a joystick in my left hand (For flying the ship) and a mouse in my right hand (For looking around and targeting)

http://www.amazon.com/Hercules-2960706-Thrustmaster-T-16000M-Flight/dp/B001S0RTU0

T.16000M is a good choice. it also has 3D (Hall Effect) magnetic sensors

it comes with grips for both right and left handed you just swap them out and rotate the hand rest.

31Pq6dB8CrL.jpg

319ecSn9xtL.jpg

its a pretty ideal stick for someone that wants to make a dual stick set up too

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Tried Swam out this morning, managed to last about 10mins before my ship was in pieces and I was stuck in a spinning cockpit. I tried to eject(Right Alt) and nothing happened. Anyone had luck ejecting?

Also managed a landing on the platform in Dying Star. Once landed hopped out and walked around looking at the star and the space station thing. Pretty awesome. Attempted an asteroid landing but the gear on the Aurora pops out mere inches before landed and "bounces" the ship off the rock. Tried forcing it down and smashed myself to bits.

Jeebus Lorien, that looks beautiful! What are you running SLI?

And question for the peanut gallery, has anyone tried this on an oculus rift?

Do you already have a stick you're using? If so I would look into a Track IR for looking around.

Tried Swam out this morning, managed to last about 10mins before my ship was in pieces and I was stuck in a spinning cockpit. I tried to eject(Right Alt) and nothing happened. Anyone had luck ejecting?

Also managed a landing on the platform in Dying Star. Once landed hopped out and walked around looking at the star and the space station thing. Pretty awesome. Attempted an asteroid landing but the gear on the Aurora pops out mere inches before landed and "bounces" the ship off the rock. Tried forcing it down and smashed myself to bits.

right alt + L pressed at the same time ejects

I have posted this a couple months ago, but if anyone is interested in purchasing TM Wathog, Saitek or CH products Hotas systems as well as Track-IR you can look at my playlist. It contains 8 videos on unboxing, setup, build quality, price versus function comparisons and real life testing.
These are all my personal and independent opinions, I bought the items with my own cash, nothing was given or sent to me free of charge.

Edit: Lorien, you will appreciate the 3x1440p Nvidia surround setup :)
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL692XUyQBCq9SNxXCO-MUMog_ja1GuLXl

Back