Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

this has not been posted in a little while so im going to post it again

don't forget to sign up on the organization page if you haven't, i am sure not everyone here has signed up yet.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/DOKAZON

we are still missing a lot of people from the steam group so if you are friends with anyone in that group make sure you get them to signup also.

Come on people we need more cannon fod....i mean... Loyal associates! do you anticivic duty and join DOKAZON!

Is this a game where if you haven't followed it from its inception, you're going to be screwed as a new player?

CR speaks about Star Citizen system requirements, seems to love the R9 290 and pimps out Mantle as well. 16GB of RAM minimum :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvXLL7e3VYg

He says the minimum is 8GB. Skip to 2:09. That itself is a huge requirement. Though I guess 16GB might help? Doubtful the game will start getting slow at 8GB though. Is there any game that pushes over 5GB as it is? He is probably just trying to sell some more RAM. ;)

Is this a game where if you haven't followed it from its inception, you're going to be screwed as a new player?

Nope, but it wouldnt hurt to do a little catching up. there are a few starters guides floating around out there for just that purpose.

He says the minimum is 8GB. Skip to 2:09. That itself is a huge requirement. Though I guess 16GB might help? Doubtful the game will start getting slow at 8GB though. Is there any game that pushes over 5GB as it is? He is probably just trying to sell some more RAM. ;)

I hope they start abusing RAM, it's so damn cheap these days we may as well start making games under the assumption that you have at least 8gigs

BF4 is the only game right now that uses that much RAM I think. So his RAM estimates seem very reasonable to me. I've got 16GB already, it doesn't cost that much.

I would say not at all. That is usually a problem for games like EvE and stuff where the combat, economy and skills are so rigid that you can not make any real progress in the game for a couple years unless you were one of the early players.

Star Citizen is giving me the feel that your actual combat skill, not the experience or virtual numbers and stuff that your character acquired, but the preciseness of your actual inputs to the joystick/mouse and your combat tactics will effect your destiny just as much, or maybe more than the time you have spent in the game.

For example in EvE, if you are in an Interceptor (fastest, most agile ships in EvE), and the other player is in a Tech II cruiser, no matter what you do, unless you mange to settle your craft on that sweet spot orbit where you are going too fast and your orbit is too tight for his guns to track you, you are not going to survive. Let alone living long enough to hold him in place for your friends, you are more than likely to get one shotted. Why, because the deck is stacked against you and the only skill that governs the outcome of the combat is you hitting the orbit button and turning off your microwarp drive and him hitting the button to engage his turrets. After that you both sit back and see what happens, Civilization style.

In this game i expect you to be able to deal a lot of damage, or engage multiple or much larger enemies, given that you are a Luke Skywalker/Han Solo class pilot. I don't think game mechanics will limit your own skill as a gamer.

I just want to be able to run max every setting on a 27inch 1440p monitor. Probably will be a non issue if I upgrade my video card right before release. If the game runs great on a 290, I can only imagine how it will run on the video cards releasing in 1-1.5 years when this game releases.

It's not even about following from inception, it's about playing from inception. If you join later you will be at a significant economic disadvantage over those who joined at launch. If you don't play 20 hours per day you will be at a significant economic disadvantage over those who do (unless you buy your way into resources using RL cash).

One of the big things about SC is exploration. You get to discover new systems, map uncharted territory. How many players will actually get to do that? Dozens, maybe, after that everything that's been explorable will have been explored. If you want to explore, you better take a week off of work during launch. If you cannot do that, then don't buy an exploration ship now, or sell the LTI one you already bought on ebay for some profit.

MMOs are not for casual players no matter how often the developers and hardcore players say that they are. MMOs reward time (or money) invested, and that concept works well for those who play MMOs, but casuals need not apply.

MMOs are not for casual players no matter how often the developers and hardcore players say that they are. MMOs reward time (or money) invested, and that concept works well for those who play MMOs, but casuals need not apply.

I think that is my biggest problem. The days of me playing for hours on end, day after day, are long gone. Having fun is my #1 priority with games, but sometimes in MMO's, being a new player will take even that away from you.

I think that is my biggest problem. The days of me playing for hours on end, day after day, are long gone. Having fun is my #1 priority with games, but sometimes in MMO's, being a new player will take even that away from you.

Only matters if you're competing for a top spot and that's rarefied air no matter what game you play. I have tons of friends that play MMOs and never once give a thought to the competitive nature of gaming. They have a blast.

Not everyone has fun the same way, if you need to beat other people (regardless of how you define beating); MMOs require some time and effort. No real way around it. There's only one best in any category though so unless you're that guy, you've never won (and even then, it's often fleeting). Define it correctly and you'll have a good time. Define it poorly and you will always fail.

It's not even about following from inception, it's about playing from inception. If you join later you will be at a significant economic disadvantage over those who joined at launch. If you don't play 20 hours per day you will be at a significant economic disadvantage over those who do (unless you buy your way into resources using RL cash).

One of the big things about SC is exploration. You get to discover new systems, map uncharted territory. How many players will actually get to do that? Dozens, maybe, after that everything that's been explorable will have been explored. If you want to explore, you better take a week off of work during launch. If you cannot do that, then don't buy an exploration ship now, or sell the LTI one you already bought on ebay for some profit.

I think this concept is more applicable to traditional MMO's and less on SC. Exploration is something you do on your own. Meaning, once you explored and area, does not mean I explored it as well. Think of it like playing an RTS, fog of war maybe lifted for you but not me. According to the maps that I own, it is pitch black after that last jump that is charted. Now I may jump in there and find other players in it who has discovered it on their own, which is another exciting part of exploration that it is dynamic. You may not find what dev's have put in, in uncharted territory. You may find a friendly guild who may take you like their own or a band of pirates who may want to blow you out of the sky. Which is what would have happened if you were really exploring. I am pretty sure deep exploration ships will be useful throughout the game as far as transport, discovery and hauling.

I agree to your points regarding SC not being casual (and most MMO's for that matter) but a couple of great casual MMO's would be The Old Republic, Guild Wars 2, and Defiance. They don't demand huge amounts of playtime to enjoy or progress in.

So it can be done. They are just few and far between.

As has been said time and again, Star Citizen is NOT an mmo and you should not expect it to be one.

You will not be at a huge disadvantage if you can't play 20 hours a day or anything the game is going to be built to be fun and all the ships people can buy with money now will be in game to find yourself or buy through making in-game money.

As has been said time and again, Star Citizen is NOT an mmo and you should not expect it to be one.

You will not be at a huge disadvantage if you can't play 20 hours a day or anything the game is going to be built to be fun and all the ships people can buy with money now will be in game to find yourself or buy through making in-game money.

Didn't Chris Roberts say it will take hundreds of hours to be able to buy a single ship? I would classify that as an MMO.

Didn't Chris Roberts say it will take hundreds of hours to be able to buy a single ship? I would classify that as an MMO.

If that's true there's going to be such a huge imbalance right away with everyone that shelled out big bucks to get ships early. I wonder what their plan is for this.

Yeah, the online portion definitely sounds like an MMO to me.

Though I am left wondering how they are going to have real-time combat with so many users on one server.

I dont recall him saying that, but if he did he was probably taking about the idris or other larger ships.

Yeah, the online portion definitely sounds like an MMO to me.

Though I am left wondering how they are going to have real-time combat with so many users on one server.

butt loads of instancing ( not a big fan)

Only matters if you're competing for a top spot and that's rarefied air no matter what game you play. I have tons of friends that play MMOs and never once give a thought to the competitive nature of gaming. They have a blast.

Not everyone has fun the same way, if you need to beat other people (regardless of how you define beating); MMOs require some time and effort. No real way around it. There's only one best in any category though so unless you're that guy, you've never won (and even then, it's often fleeting). Define it correctly and you'll have a good time. Define it poorly and you will always fail.

I see your point. Anecdotally, some of the MMO's I've played in the past made it very difficult to take advantage of all that the game had to offer because of the large discrepancy between some players. Overall, I don't necessarily have goal-oriented behavior when I play a game, but rather I like to see what surprises me, creates interest and sustains the fun factor. Obviously that can vary between games depending on the player.

this has not been posted in a little while so im going to post it again

don't forget to sign up on the organization page if you haven't, i am sure not everyone here has signed up yet.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/DOKAZON

we are still missing a lot of people from the steam group so if you are friends with anyone in that group make sure you get them to signup also.

Just sent in an app. I've been avoiding looking at all the updates for this game in hopes that the time will go by faster lol.

edit: I also happen to run a Mumble server that people can use when we can actually play the game (dog fighting alpha?).

Last edited:
I think this concept is more applicable to traditional MMO's and less on SC. Exploration is something you do on your own. Meaning, once you explored and area, does not mean I explored it as well. Think of it like playing an RTS, fog of war maybe lifted for you but not me. According to the maps that I own, it is pitch black after that last jump that is charted. Now I may jump in there and find other players in it who has discovered it on their own, which is another exciting part of exploration that it is dynamic.

I will admit that I didn't keep up with reading up on how exploration will work, but if they say what you wrote above then I can almost guarantee you that it will not actually work like that in game and they will patch it to change it. The exploration you describe will probably be true for the single player mode, but online it's just not feasible and here is why: How are you supposed to join your friends if they have explored the space and you have not?

The ability of players to play with people they know is what keeps most people interested in the game. Any mechanic that gets in the way of that will have to go.

I will admit that I didn't keep up with reading up on how exploration will work, but if they say what you wrote above then I can almost guarantee you that it will not actually work like that in game and they will patch it to change it. The exploration you describe will probably be true for the single player mode, but online it's just not feasible and here is why: How are you supposed to join your friends if they have explored the space and you have not?

The ability of players to play with people they know is what keeps most people interested in the game. Any mechanic that gets in the way of that will have to go.

They tell you where they are and you go there, in the meantime you are passing through systems that you have not seen before. Yes things will get charted out fairly quickly and all these maps will be avalible to everyone on the net, but still for what it is worth you will be exploring.

I've been casually following this thread and have two very different questions

1 what are the control setups going to be like? Keyboard, joystick, flight yoke, or what?

2 I wonder if the developers are going about ship design the wrong way. Rather than spending their time designing new ships, I would like to see them provide the building blocks for ships and assorted constraints in game then let the community loose.

http://www78.zippyshare.com/v/25555109/file.html
bgXVcTk.jpg

I've been casually following this thread and have two very different questions

1 what are the control setups going to be like? Keyboard, joystick, flight yoke, or what?
All of the above plus gamepad and mouse.

2 I wonder if the developers are going about ship design the wrong way. Rather than spending their time designing new ships, I would like to see them provide the building blocks for ships and assorted constraints in game then let the community loose.
If you want to get a ship into the game you will have to go through the quality approval of Chris Roberts and his team. Luckily for all of us he has very high standards even for the stuff his own team designs (and the team is made of people with experience in other AAA games and the movie industry).

Besides, they ARE letting the community participate. Check out The Next Great Starsip competition: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/contest/the-next-great-starship
If that wasn't enough anyone will be able to mod the game and run their own private servers with ships they create. They will be releasing modding tools to support that for free. Check out the modding forums on the official site (https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/categories/modding), there are already teams of modders working on adding new ships, creating total conversions, etc.

All of the above plus gamepad and mouse.

If you want to get a ship into the game you will have to go through the quality approval of Chris Roberts and his team. Luckily for all of us he has very high standards even for the stuff his own team designs (and the team is made of people with experience in other AAA games and the movie industry).

Besides, they ARE letting the community participate. Check out The Next Great Starsip competition: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/contest/the-next-great-starship
If that wasn't enough anyone will be able to mod the game and run their own private servers with ships they create. They will be releasing modding tools to support that for free. Check out the modding forums on the official site (https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/categories/modding), there are already teams of modders working on adding new ships, creating total conversions, etc.

to add I think they also said that if someone makes a ship in mods and it ends up be very well made, balanced and cool that they will release it as a real ship and give the creator royalties for it (in the form of ingame currency I believe)

man the scythe looks sexy as hell, Im glad I didnt sell mine. also I want to be able to own that mining robot. they should make it a voyager dirrect item, and you could crawl around your hanger in one.:D

omg them red heels....I think they are the best weapon design of them all :) I would totally surrender my ship in the presence of them

Don't like the lights on the Scythe, would have looked better in my eyes with a luminescent skin that displayed patterns and colours dependant on how aggressive they're acting.

Check out The Next Great Starsip competition: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/contest/the-next-great-starship

So where is the Robotech/Macross SDF modding team? I would really like to play a VF-1 in a mod. :D

I would literally pay buckets of money to whoever did an honest to goodness Macross total conversion.

Back