Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

Looked like the thrusters on the 300i aren't tweaked to replicate actual physics yet, but mostly for show at this point. When I see back thrusters firing on the rear left and the front end moves to the right, something is a bit out of adjustment. :D

Yeah, that kind of ruined the immersion for me a bit :p

Hopefully a quick fix and not a fundamental flaw with the underlying physical laws of the SC Universe ;)

I think it's just a reversed control thing, they looked to be off in 'y', but correct in 'z'. Simple fix!

Hi everyone. I've been reading a fair amount of the posts about the Dogfighting demo we gave during the live stream. I thought it would be useful for me to clarify a few things, as there’s a few misconceptions – mostly because people are forming their opinions on a very limited view of what we were showing. As I know exactly what is under the hood and how it plays I’m going to help you all out with the inside information :)

• Physics. There’s been a few posts where people think the physics aren't correct or fully implemented yet when they were watching the dogfight. Just to be absolutely clear – the whole game runs on CryPhysics – which is a fully fledged physics system on a par with other physics engines like PhysX and Havoc. Everything is simulated correctly. Any ship movement is achieved by applying impulses to the rigid body of the ship – there are no cheats on position or velocity. It has been like this since the beginning – even before I showed the initial prototype! If you actually looked closely at the dogfighting footage you would indeed see that the ships have inertia – they don’t immediately turn or stop on a dime – just look when someone enters a turn and notice the movement of the asteroids relative to the cockpit view. It’s one of the reasons why there were a few asteroid collisions in the demo. People weren't intentionally ramming or clipping an asteroid they just misjudged their inertia and their turning radius. There are however a few things that make this not as obvious to the untrained eye. Firstly there is no “space dust” to give you a visual cue on your speed and relative velocity vector. Space dust was something I implemented all the way back in Wing Commander to give the player some visual cues as to his velocity and direction of movement as in space you usually don’t have a good reference for your movement as its just normal empty space with no close objects for reference. It’s completely fictional but most space games use space dust (which can look / feel like streaking stars) to give cues as to your movement. It’s currently disabled in our build as we’re refactoring some particle system features, so you don’t get the same motion cues you’re used to on other space games (including all my past ones). Secondly the amount of slide or sense of inertia in your movement is a result of your mass and the strength of your maneuvering thrusters. If you have very powerful thrusters they will be able to correct your velocity vector with very little or no slide. For the test we were playing with values and had juiced the maneuvering thrusters on the Hornet so the dogfighting would be quick and fast as we wanted something that didn't drag for the live demo with lots of “kills” (to show off the nice explosions and damage!). This is definitely not final and will have a lot more tweaking, especially when the G-Force modeling comes on line for the multiplayer (as this will have a big effect on what maneuvers are best) and the energy management interface on our new WIP HUD is implemented (which will allow you to direct more power to the thrusters for a tighter turn at the expense of other systems like your weapons or shields)

• Flight Model. When I see posts about the physics not being correct, or the flight model being WW2 and not Newtonian – it really means that current implementation of the Intelligent Flight Control System (IFCS) is not what people would like / are expecting as there is no cheating on physics (as I describe above). In Star Citizen (and pretty much every other space games – including the “Hard core” sims) there will always be some level of fly by wire where the computer interprets the players input on the controls and translates them in a way to maneuver the ship intuitively. Why? Because individually controlling 8-16 thrusters simultaneously to achieve a desired action is incredibly hard – just doing it in 2D in the classic video game Asteroids was difficult enough – it becomes exponentially difficult with a third dimension. Even in the real world the newest jets and helicopters interpret the pilots input and then manage the control surfaces. Most modern jet fighters are aerodynamically unstable – if a pilot tried to directly control the control surfaces he wouldn't be able to make the 100s of micro adjustments needed every second to keep the airplane stable. This will be even more so going forward. So it’s not so much about being “Realistic” or “Newtonian”, it’s really about how the game (or in our fiction the IFCS) translates the players control inputs into physical actions in the game. For instance the current speed cap is all done by the IFCS – if your ship goes above the top speed (say getting an impulse from a collision while at maximum velocity) it will start to fire retro thrusters to bring you back inside the allowed velocity range. The current IFCS is still a work in progress – currently it is set up very much like a traditional Wing Commander that prefers yaw to roll (although you absolutely can roll as well – it’s just the X axis on a stick is mapped to yaw, Y to pitch and roll is modifier plus X axis.) The newer IFCS (which we didn’t show as its not working smoothly over multiplayer, which has an extra level of complexity due to being server authorative) has a bias towards roll and pitch for turning as it is trying to manage the G-Forces on the pilot’s body and we’re built to absorb positive Gs better than left/right lateral Gs. But why would every IFCS behave the same way? My goal is to have more than one IFCS setting (possibly needing a different avionics package) with different “flight models” and the more sophisticated packages will allow a pilot to switch off and on aspects of the IFCS – for instance letting your fly-by-wire system know that you input is now only about angular position / velocity and not your linear velocity vector, or that your input is now just requesting a velocity /adjustment without a heading change. The goal from the beginning of Star Citizen has always been to allow players to set up and customize their ship the way they want. There will be a huge amount of plug in items / systems that will allow a player to significantly tweak the abilities of their ship and part of this is the flight computer.

Cont'd on next post...

Cont'd from previous -

• Peripherals / player input devices. I noticed a lot of people being concerned that the game is set up like Call of Duty and is just a WASD FPS keyboard / mouse shooter because they saw a few of the team members just using their mouse and keyboard during the demo. Star Citizen is set up to be input agnostic – it supports keyboard, mouse, gamepad, joystick and HOTAS (and pedals!) Most of these can operate at the same time – for instance you can use a HOTAS, mouse and keyboard all simultaneously. This past week in our 6-8 person internal people were flying with a selection of all the above – an X65 Pro HOTAS, an X52 HOTAS, MS gamepad, keyboard + mouse, Logitech Extreme 3D joystick. So don’t worry we’re not biased to any control scheme! If you want us to be, well I’m sorry, our goal is tune the game in such a way that no one input device is the winner – it should be about personal preference, which I think is completely in the spirit of PC gaming that we are trying to uphold.

• First person vs Third person. I saw quite a few posts that were concerned about the third person view and it giving an unfair advantage over people playing first person. Putting aside the fact that everyone has the same range of views, so no one will have something that someone else doesn't, Star Citizen will be just like my Wing Commander games – it’s primarily built for 1st person, but we allow you to pop out to a chase plane view to appreciate the detail and coolness of your ship (and perhaps check the external damage). When in third person mode you don’t have any of your HUD, radar or targeting information available. Make no mistake you will be at a disadvantage trying to fight in third person instead of first person. If you go back to the live stream video you will notice most people were actually performing kills from the first person camera view NOT the third person – that’s completely because in fast moving dogfights your targeting computer with shot lead prediction is pretty vital to scoring a hit on your opponent and your HUD target turn indicator lets you know where you need to turn to get your opponent in your sights. And this is before a new cockpit 1st person view that I've been toying with comes on line – essentially it’s going to dynamically scope your field of view and depth of field based on where you are looking, which simulates what we do naturally when looking around – which I think will add a whole new level of intensity to the 1st person cockpit view.

I hope you find this small info dump useful!

As always thanks for your feedback and support.

Here you go.

EDIT: I should of done this from the start, reading the yellow text from the website seriously bugged my eyes!

I wonder how much this fly by wire thing they are using is going to do, and if it's going to be something that's automatically applied or if we can manually turn it on/off.

I don't want my ship to be all safe and restrict what I want it to do.

If I want to keep my ship moving forward and then turn it sideways and keep it sliding while I strafe a ship I should be able to.

I wonder how much this fly by wire thing they are using is going to do, and if it's going to be something that's automatically applied or if we can manually turn it on/off.

I don't want my ship to be all safe and restrict what I want it to do.

If I want to keep my ship moving forward and then turn it sideways and keep it sliding while I strafe a ship I should be able to.

if you read the post from Chris you would know :eek:

if you read the post from Chris you would know :eek:

Correct me if I am wrong, but he did not specifically point that out. He did say they will plan to make IFCS customizable with things to disable.

My question is why bother with a movement model that attempts to mimic atmospheric flight in the first place? The forward based momentum and limited top speed is a result of limitations of aerodynamics. In space, movement such as how Stiler describes should be the norm. The people should adapt to it (space sim, remember?) and not have an option of playing the game with simpler easier to comprehend movement styles. Being an independent developer, I would have hoped they would have gone that route only. Making a space game behave like space.

Though I still think the game will be great.

i was responding to his

"I wonder how much this fly by wire thing they are using is going to do, and if it's going to be something that's automatically applied or if we can manually turn it on/off.

I don't want my ship to be all safe and restrict what I want it to do. "

which is pretty much what chris addressed they have plans to let you customize your flight model with different avionics packages, allowing you to disable things.

Do we know how SC is going to deal with maximum speeds? Is it going to be realistic, as in you can burn 50% of your fuel accelerating until you're going epic fast and then burn the other 50% as you approach your destination to slow down?

I was wondering how this would work, because with a "realistic" system you could probably just get yourself up to epic speed as you leave a system and no pirates/enemies would ever be able to catch up to you unless they had orders of magnitude more thrust and fuel.

Also fighters would have to be able to carry huge amounts of fuel, because atmospheric aircraft use air to turn velocity in one direction in to a force in another direction, in space the only way to do that is exert large amounts of force through your engines.

Last edited:
0.2 speed of light will be the universal speed limit except for lasers and missiles/torpedoes which can go faster.

Hm, so even a freighter can reach .2C? Cool! I really like the way they are trying to split the difference between reality and Star Wars maneuvering. At the end of the day, true Newtonian physics would not be very fun.

This game isn't even out yet and I feel like I'm already lost behind the curve. I have one of the original KS supporter packs, but there's all these ship options, all these economy packages, etc etc.

Should I catch up on info or just wait till an official beta to catch up? There's 300+ pages of this thread already! This game is gonna need it's own subforum by the time it comes out..

This game isn't even out yet and I feel like I'm already lost behind the curve. I have one of the original KS supporter packs, but there's all these ship options, all these economy packages, etc etc.

Should I catch up on info or just wait till an official beta to catch up? There's 300+ pages of this thread already! This game is gonna need it's own subforum by the time it comes out..

Honestly unless you really really want to spend more money there's not a need to pledge a ton more.

All the ships you will be able to get in game and get insurance for once you do.

As far as catching up on info, this thread should be helpful:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...-of-lore-interviews-and-everything-2-0#latest

Hm, so even a freighter can reach .2C? Cool! I really like the way they are trying to split the difference between reality and Star Wars maneuvering. At the end of the day, true Newtonian physics would not be very fun.

I doubt all ships will have the same max speed. At the end of the day this is a game, and for the sake of balance there need to be some differences. If an interceptor fighter can't chase down a freighter it doesn't make for a good game. This game balance is the reason why there is a limited max speed in the first place.

0.2 speed of light will be the universal speed limit except for lasers and missiles/torpedoes which can go faster.
That's actually pretty damned fast. That's still over 130,000,000 miles per hour, far faster than you could imagine any dogfight happening simply because the ships will not be able to intercept at that speed. Obviously if both craft were already travelling 130,000,000 mph in the same direction they could have a dogfight as if they were both standing still, but if you're even 100,000mph difference in speed, the enemy ship would be out of sight before the dogfight even began.

I am very interested to see how they would handle this. Because realistically speaking, even if you artificially limit to 0.2C, you could safely freight things anywhere you wanted because you could just go full thrusters for 5 minutes of your journey (or however long it takes to burn half your fuel) and end up going faster than any fighter could possibly catch you.

I do also want to see how they manage fuel, because enough fuel to dogfight for 5 minutes exerted through the main thrusters in a straight line would send you to massively high speeds unless they add some sort of drag component.

That's actually pretty damned fast. That's still over 130,000,000 miles per hour, far faster than you could imagine any dogfight happening simply because the ships will not be able to intercept at that speed. Obviously if both craft were already travelling 130,000,000 mph in the same direction they could have a dogfight as if they were both standing still, but if you're even 100,000mph difference in speed, the enemy ship would be out of sight before the dogfight even began.

I am very interested to see how they would handle this. Because realistically speaking, even if you artificially limit to 0.2C, you could safely freight things anywhere you wanted because you could just go full thrusters for 5 minutes of your journey (or however long it takes to burn half your fuel) and end up going faster than any fighter could possibly catch you.

I do also want to see how they manage fuel, because enough fuel to dogfight for 5 minutes exerted through the main thrusters in a straight line would send you to massively high speeds unless they add some sort of drag component.

.2C might only be for some type of warp drive or something, like you said it would be just too fast to do any type of fighting with.

In space top speed doesn't matter nearly as much as the rate you are able to accelerate/decelerate, which is what I assume they are going for.

Technically, the top speed for anything would be just under the speed of light, but I doubt any ship in the game would have nearly enough power to reach that over the lifetime of the game :p

In space top speed doesn't matter nearly as much as the rate you are able to accelerate/decelerate, which is what I assume they are going for.

This I think is key. Maneuverability will be a big deal. I was excited to read about inertia playing a key role and that some people crashed into asteroids accidentally.

edit: typed too fast... updates is to I

Last edited:

I am very interested to see how they would handle this.

There was a discussion about this on the official forums which linked to a different post which supposedly linked to something CIG wrote about it a while back, nfc where all that is now, but the gist of the whole discussion was that dogfighting will be at normal flight sim speeds for all the reasons you stated above. Doesn't matter whether they indicate that you are at ridiculous or ludicrous speed, the actual feel of the speed will be that of existing flight sims.

If I ever get a hold of a bengal i am going to get it to .2c and

Captain Shifty: "FULL STOP!"

Helmsman Red Shirt: "SIR?"

Captain Shifty "FULL STOP!!"

SPLAT:D

When you're just flying around, it'll be at "normal" speeds I.e. 500-1000kph or so, sven if it's written and displayed as kps (km per second). You'll only reach 0.2C when you engage autopilot and go between 2 navigational waypoints I.e. From a space station to a jump point.

I doubt all ships will have the same max speed. At the end of the day this is a game, and for the sake of balance there need to be some differences. If an interceptor fighter can't chase down a freighter it doesn't make for a good game. This game balance is the reason why there is a limited max speed in the first place.

Straightup physics lends balance naturally.

Every ship has the same theoretical max velocity. Problem being you need the power from your engines to get there, which is your powerplant limit as well as your engine's own acceleration rating. Also the more mass your craft has the more fuel you need to burn get to that speed, and that need increases massively as your mass goes up....and the closer you get to the speed of light, the more mass your ship has. Then there's the problem of slowing down again so you can land after you're done.

Natural balance with no need to create arcane arbitrary rules. Simple physics tells us it is highly unlikely a freighter will be able to outrun an interceptor

This is think is key. Maneuverability will be a big deal. I was excited to read about inertia playing a key role and that some people crashed into asteroids accidentally.

Bingo

Straightup physics lends balance naturally.

Every ship has the same theoretical max velocity. Problem being you need the power from your engines to get there, which is your powerplant limit as well as your engine's own acceleration rating. Also the more mass your craft has the more fuel you need to burn get to that speed, and that need increases massively as your mass goes up....and the closer you get to the speed of light, the more mass your ship has. Then there's the problem of slowing down again so you can land after you're done.

Natural balance with no need to create arcane arbitrary rules. Simple physics tells us it is highly unlikely a freighter will be able to outrun an interceptor

Bingo

If the freighter is already traveling at the same max speed as a fighter it absolutely can out run it if they all have the same max speed.

Mark my words, this is not going to be some sort of Kerbal Space Program meets Wing Commander game like some of you are salivating over. There isn't going to be any "Alright let me burn half my fuel getting to max speed because I will need the other half to decelerate" going on. You will plot your route from planet to planet, travel to the jump points etc.. Once you reach your destination planet you will fly close to the planet and initiate landing protocols without having to worry about decelerating to land. Remember, there is no atmospheric flight so landing will just be a "alright I'm within range, press the button to land and show me the cinematic landing sequence."

It will feel a lot like the old Wing Commander or Privateer games where different ships have different max speeds. The physics will come into play with the maneuvering thrusters and damage modeling affecting maneuverability, and acceleration. It isn't going to effect maximum straight line speed, that will be artificially limited by the game.

I agree that is probably what the overall result is likely to be, but I do like the thought of top speed being partly based on how long you are running in a straight line. Interception should be dependent (at least partly) on being in the right place at the right time. The more arcade-y the game, the more likely it would seem that jumping into a system means that you are vulnerable to anyone in the system with higher speed than you. But if the jump tech is more portal like, you could carry your momentum through the jump and only need to burn to pick up the new heading... Giving transports a chance to get away from the jump point. But, those mechanics are so far off that it's probably best to entertain the discussion so we can provide decent feedback!

If the freighter is already traveling at the same max speed as a fighter it absolutely can out run it if they all have the same max speed.

Mark my words, this is not going to be some sort of Kerbal Space Program meets Wing Commander game like some of you are salivating over. There isn't going to be any "Alright let me burn half my fuel getting to max speed because I will need the other half to decelerate" going on. You will plot your route from planet to planet, travel to the jump points etc.. Once you reach your destination planet you will fly close to the planet and initiate landing protocols without having to worry about decelerating to land. Remember, there is no atmospheric flight so landing will just be a "alright I'm within range, press the button to land and show me the cinematic landing sequence."

It will feel a lot like the old Wing Commander or Privateer games where different ships have different max speeds. The physics will come into play with the maneuvering thrusters and damage modeling affecting maneuverability, and acceleration. It isn't going to effect maximum straight line speed, that will be artificially limited by the game.
It seems a lot like a large basis of this game will be freighting things around and people trying to steal that freight off you, so they do need some sort of system for setting up encounters between a freighter and a fighter, I'm interested in how they do that.

Perhaps they could do something like you can lock on to a ship and jump in to the ship's reference frame. So even if you have a freighter travelling 1,000,000 mph, if you can lock on to it you'll be able to jump next to it, also travelling 1,000,000 mph, so relative to each other, you are both stationary and can have a dogfight as if you were both starting from stationary. So then during the combat you might be travelling 500mph relative to the enemy, which is actually 1,000,500 mph relative to the object where the freighter was travelling originally.

But if the jump tech is more portal like, you could carry your momentum through the jump and only need to burn to pick up the new heading... Giving transports a chance to get away from the jump point. But, those mechanics are so far off that it's probably best to entertain the discussion so we can provide decent feedback!

They'd have to make it so your momentum can be redirected during the jump itself, as aircraft change direction by exerting a perpendicular force on the air, a space ship can only change direction by using it's engines. So for a space ship to turn 90 degrees left and maintain it's speed, it would actually take twice as much fuel/energy/power/time as it took for it to accelerate in the first place (half to slow down in one direction and half to accelerate in the new direction).

It seems a lot like a large basis of this game will be freighting things around and people trying to steal that freight off you, so they do need some sort of system for setting up encounters between a freighter and a fighter, I'm interested in how they do that.

Perhaps they could do something like you can lock on to a ship and jump in to the ship's reference frame. So even if you have a freighter travelling 1,000,000 mph, if you can lock on to it you'll be able to jump next to it, also travelling 1,000,000 mph, so relative to each other, you are both stationary and can have a dogfight as if you were both starting from stationary. So then during the combat you might be travelling 500mph relative to the enemy, which is actually 1,000,500 mph relative to the object where the freighter was travelling originally.

No, that's not how it's going to be at all. Play Privateer, it'll be exactly like that. You'll jump into the system, presumably in a stationary state, where you might meet some pirates, you'll have to fight the pirates or run far enough away that they're no longer a threat, you'll then be able to choose a nav point and engage autopilot, this is when you'll jump to 0.2c.

No, that's not how it's going to be at all. Play Privateer, it'll be exactly like that. You'll jump into the system, presumably in a stationary state, where you might meet some pirates, you'll have to fight the pirates or run far enough away that they're no longer a threat, you'll then be able to choose a nav point and engage autopilot, this is when you'll jump to 0.2c.

You might be wearing sheep's clothing but your fangs are showing through...

You might be wearing sheep's clothing but your fangs are showing through...

Not sure what you're getting at Lorien, but I too believe the system will be very similar to Privateer. In that you will have to use jump points to travel between systems and within a jump point you will have flight and combat that feels a lot like Wing Commander. People won't be plotting a heading to X planet, then burning thrusters to get to speed then waiting to get there.

Not to get to technical but its actually 1.3 million mph, not 130 million mph. That is still insanely fast though.

My maths could be off, but the speed of light = 3*10^8 metres per second. I work in metric so maybe I screwed something up.

0.2*3 = 0.6, to convert to km/h that's 0.6*3.6 = 2.16, the km/h to mph is 2.16/1.61 = 1.34. So 1.34 * 10^8 mph, which is 134,000,000.

I know I did too many conversions, but I know the speed of light in m/s and I know m/s to km/h and km/h to mph off the top of my head, I don't know the speed of light in mph or the m/s to mph conversion, so maybe I buggered something up :p

EDIT: Google agrees with me:

the speed of light =
670 616 629 miles per hour

0.2 x 670616629 = 134,123,325.8 mph ;)

Back