Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

I don't think there will be a need to radically modify the hardware. The bulk of the work is done by the game engine and since it has close access to the metal via the API the performance increase is substantial.

You guys know how console developers are capable of extracting every bit of performance out of the hardware. It's because they have thin APIs that are very close to the actual silicon. That basically means they don't have all the bloat our PCs today have with Windows and directx and legacy drivers, etc. etc. All layered on top of each other getting in the way. A console strips all of that junk out and all you have is the gpu cpu memory storage and a very thin OS. The only limitations to get best performance are the developer's own coding skills and how well they learn the particular strengths and weaknesses of the console's GPU/CPU architectures. Mantle does exactly that, it gives the game engine very close access to the silicon.

Bad car analogy time: Developers today are driving our cars(PCs) sitting on the backseat with their seatbelts buckled, using a broom to push the accelerator with one hand and another broom moving the steering wheel. With Mantle they can finally sit on the driver's seat, with their hands on the steering wheel and their feet on the pedals.

Consoles do get more out of their hardware... but not THAT much more.

I'm gonna buy the pirate ship, anyone making a pirate clan? :D

I am making a "transport" business so if you ever need a ride or something moved ill take any thing! though, to be honest I like transporting people more than cargo since it makes the ride more "fun".

i voted for the range, i want to "accidently" shoot people in my hangar if they come and visit

Blasphemy! You will vote for the buggy stunt track and that's final lol
Edit: I actually do find the firing range pretty appealing but my guess is a lot more people will vote for the buggy stunt course.

I purchased the scout rank thingy like when this came out.
Great, you are good to go then :)

Last edited:
Anyone that has voted already can you take a screenshot or tell us how each option is doing?

Anyone that has voted already can you take a screenshot or tell us how each option is doing?

Nah but I can break down the top 3 in each section:

Firing Range 33%
Lounge 22%
Meeting Room 13%

Windows 61%
Couch 16%
Banners 14%

Hoses 39%
Lighting 31%
Paint 29%

Damn, I though buggy stunt track would be in the lead. That settles it for me

So I see talk about a [H]Faction or something within the SC Universe. What details have been ironed out? Any linkage to a thread or anything, or is it all just casual conversation at this point?

So started my payment plan for a freelancer to go with my cutlass. Purchased the digital mercenary pack for now and will melt to freelancer when I have cash for it lol. Figured this way I can atleast have 1 real ship to play around with so I'm not staring at my cutlass statue all the time

Then my real debate is do I keep both or melt for a Connie. My only concern with Connie is how is it for dog fighting, will it be a slow turning gun ship or can I actual turn and maneuver and take down ships with my main guns or will be reliant on my turrets to kill everything.

Last edited:
I don't think the constellation is going to be lumbering, but it isn't exactly a fighter that is going to win its battles on maneuverability alone.. However, this will be made up by its multiple turrets and multiple main guns. Especially if you either have additional crew onboard (or possible AI programs installed to automate say...turret use and other crew stations if you don't have player crew), you're going to be generally able to target enemies on almost all sides of the ship. With both the dome turret at the top and ball turret on the bottom, as well as the main weapons you'll be able to keep a bead on an enemy flying a smaller ship around your vessel, much better. Of course, add this to the P52 Merlin docked in your cargo bay! Now you have a small, maneuverable and armed ship that can dart around and pepper the enemy, all the while as they try to avoid the Constellation's guns!

Ya I use the term dogfighter loosely in this thread, i dont expect to be flying wily nilly diving and ducking around others like a small fighter but I wanna be able to turn and blast and not just be stuck as a mobile turret platform.

So Pete answered my question about the Cutlass being able to dock inside an Idris

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/934153/#Comment_934153
Its hard to say right now. The Cutlass hasn't been modeled yet but I get the feeling its going to be slightly larger than I was expecting. If you ask Mark he might be able to do a quick and dirty check to see if it will fit. As long as it physically fits in the hangar bay with enough room to walk around it without getting hung up on geometry then we'll allow it from the design side.

Asking Mark Skelton now to get a definitive answer. Keeping my fingers crossed.

noticed he mentioned in the video that the red lines on the 290x actually light up? didnt know that before.

but its kinda funny they failed to set up the pc.

Ya they light up and possible the Radeon name as well. Missing screws for the fail lol.

see? they should have invited me! i live nearby and have a whole toolbox of computer screws!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnndddddddddddddddddddddddd..............

Still can't see my ship.

Back