Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

why didn't they show the price of the 290

well it is an amd press event

damn it i have to go home so im am going to miss the rest of it.

Last edited:
The whole thing will be available for download and rewatch on youtube and on the AMD site itself.

Loving the 3D Audio presentation, I always wondered what became of the engineers of the ATI All in Wonder series. Those cards were so kick ass, still have a working ATI AIW X800XT

The whole thing will be available for download and rewatch on youtube and on the AMD site itself.

Oh goodie...go back and listen to all these audio guys microphones distort and clip. :D ...and further yack about 3D audio, when most games are extremely 2 dimensional and human hearing not being very good in 3 dimensions.

It appears this is like the first time many of these folks have spoke in front of anyone.

I'm either not catching the sarcasm, or understanding the question, lol.

Edit: here we go.....

Well and there was the salient bit...not release for 18-24 months. I.e. 2 years and 2-3 GPU generations.

Well and there was the salient bit...not release for 18-24 months. I.e. 2 years and 2-3 GPU generations.

Which is even more a reason for them to not cut off Original and Veteran Backer status by the end of this year! That's like saying no to all the additional new player packages and upgrades purchased in the interim by those who find "getting a little special bonus" in terms of Lifetime Insurance, alluring.

I didn't get a chance to watch the whole thing, but I am pleased to have seen a good portion of the Chris Roberts part. While I wish he would have shown as of yet unreleased ships in the Hangar (I'm pretty sure he had a M50 in there), I realize this is an AMD event so they don't need to be showcasing new stuff. The "old" stuff may be old to those of us who followed Gamescom or have been with the game for awhile, but to AMD, press etc... its all new.

If CIG is working with any GPU (and CPU) developer, I'm glad it is AMD. AMD, especially in the post ATI years has been making increasing commitments to open source, open APIs, Linux, and open development processes... at a time when competitors are tending to close off more than ever (ie Nvidia PhysX). The fact that their GPUs tend to be great performing but reasonably priced, since the 4000 series on up, has kept my last few upgrades AMD. I've even been happy with their Catalyst drivers under Linux more often than not. Of course, I hope this can all be leveraged into making kick-ass motherboard chipsets and new enthusiast CPUs as well. APUs are great and all, but I'd like to see some evolution that doesn't depend on them in the processor spectrum. However, for Star Citizen itself.. I'm pretty sure that the game will work great and likely have the same features supported no matter which GPU you happen to run; they aren't the sort of company to put up a "Only one vendor gets glass shattering into a thousand pieces, the other gets a hundred..." setup. From AMD, I can hope this means they begin to think that enthusiasts and games that push the limits of PC gaming are worthwhile...now bring us some affordable, open, reliable hardware to run it!

Overall, looking good.

[QUOreleaseds;1040226467]so.. what the fuck did I actually miss? Sounds like nothing really[/QUOTE]

AMD released their new audio cards that also do graphics

To the typical neckbeard that barely has the attention span to read some color coded framerate charts it probably was uninteresting, yeah.

The most important thing in the presentation was near the end. Mantle.
Using mantle you get 9x times the performance over using a traditional API like directx. It will work on ALL GCN based AMD cards and we'll see it in action in December with BF4 getting an update supporting it. In November they will show demos from partners (plural) already working on it.
The TrueAudio tech was pretty damn cool too. How long has it been since PC games had high end quality audio? If it's done for free and transparent to the user and causes no performance penalty why not? Brings back memories of the old ATI All in Wonder series that excelled at everything multimedia plus games.

yeah Mantle was the best thing they showed, but they didnt show alot of it because of the november conference.

thats what ive been waiting for to be announced ever since i heard all next gen consoles will be amd GCN based gpu's. and was one of the reasons i felt comfortable to moving to 2 7950's for litecoin mining and selling off my 4gb 670.

it was only a matter of time before we saw a low level api designed for amd's GCN.

and im glad its sooner rather than later. december is alot sooner than i expected to see the first game using it too.

the biggest question tho is since its open, how will it affect nvidia, like will they be able to do driver work arounds to get the api working on current or near future cards or will they need to redesign the hardware around the api requirements.

To the typical neckbeard that barely has the attention span to read some color coded framerate charts it probably was uninteresting, yeah.

The most important thing in the presentation was near the end. Mantle.
Using mantle you get 9x times the performance over using a traditional API like directx. It will work on ALL GCN based AMD cards and we'll see it in action in December with BF4 getting an update supporting it. In November they will show demos from partners (plural) already working on it.
The TrueAudio tech was pretty damn cool too. How long has it been since PC games had high end quality audio? If it's done for free and transparent to the user and causes no performance penalty why not? Brings back memories of the old ATI All in Wonder series that excelled at everything multimedia plus games.

excuse my neckbeardedness, but im at work and the stream wasnt working for me. did you really say NINE TIMES? is that for real? like as in i can go from 60fps to 540fps? seems like a pretty far-fetched claim, but i hope it's true.

how bout news about SC? anything?

Last edited:
excuse my neckbeadedness, but im at work and the stream wasnt working for me. did you really say NINE TIMES? is that for real? like as in i can go from 60fps to 540fps? seems like a pretty far-fetched claim, but i hope it's true.

Same, I was at work.

Im not super interested in AMD cards unless like this mantle thing, it can really make a huge difference. I already have a solid card right now.. but 9x... yeah.. I'll bite if that works and jump ship to AMD.

I'm mostly interested in wtf it has to do with SC.

I don't think there will be a need to radically modify the hardware. The bulk of the work is done by the game engine and since it has close access to the metal via the API the performance increase is substantial.

You guys know how console developers are capable of extracting every bit of performance out of the hardware. It's because they have thin APIs that are very close to the actual silicon. That basically means they don't have all the bloat our PCs today have with Windows and directx and legacy drivers, etc. etc. All layered on top of each other getting in the way. A console strips all of that junk out and all you have is the gpu cpu memory storage and a very thin OS. The only limitations to get best performance are the developer's own coding skills and how well they learn the particular strengths and weaknesses of the console's GPU/CPU architectures. Mantle does exactly that, it gives the game engine very close access to the silicon.

Bad car analogy time: Developers today are driving our cars(PCs) sitting on the backseat with their seatbelts buckled, using a broom to push the accelerator with one hand and another broom moving the steering wheel. With Mantle they can finally sit on the driver's seat, with their hands on the steering wheel and their feet on the pedals.

Last edited:
excuse my neckbeadedness, but im at work and the stream wasnt working for me. did you really say NINE TIMES? is that for real? like as in i can go from 60fps to 540fps? seems like a pretty far-fetched claim, but i hope it's true.

http://www.techspot.com/news/54134-...y-mantle-api-to-optimize-gpu-performance.html

Looks like AMD is capitalizing on being the architecture behind all the major consoles. Put a common architecture across all platforms + your PC cards, then develop an API that allows you to code once and enjoy bare-metal-like performance boosts across all platforms.

Somehow I doubt 9x draw calls/s will translate into 9xFPS.

And even if it does, AMD will have to get their drivers in better order before I go back. Same PC, but when i had a 7970 it would lock up upon suspend or resume from suspend. With my 680, no such issue. And I doubt it was the card, because the guy I sold it to never complained of issues.

In fact I remember being astounded that Saints Row 3, a title with AMD branding, was MUCH smoother on my 680 than it was with my 7970. The FPS reported by Fraps was very similar, but the experience on the 680 was far more fluid.

i wouldnt expect to see a jump from 60fps to 540fps, we wont really see what the real world benefits might be until november when they might show something. december at the latest when we actually get the BF4 patch to for mantle support

i wouldnt expect to see a jump from 60fps to 540fps, we wont really see what the real world benefits might be until november when they might show something. december at the latest when we actually get the BF4 patch to for mantle support

So its just a huge gamble right now then.. But since SC is going to pair up with AMD.. we can expect solid performance from AMD cards in SC I'd imagine...

I may just snag a 290x

So its just a huge gamble right now then..
Not really a gamble. This is what developers themselves have been asking for, for a long time.

Back on topic, Star Citizen video from the AMD presentation is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0tLbWv5K60

The Aurora flying through those asteroid fields looked bad ass and now we know why the male player character is bald, he is waiting for his TressFX wig :D

Last edited:
So its just a huge gamble right now then.. But since SC is going to pair up with AMD.. we can expect solid performance from AMD cards in SC I'd imagine...

I may just snag a 290x

SC is still planned to be DX only atm until we see something from crytek showing the cryengine using the Mantle API instead of DX

SC using Mantle falls squarely in Cryteks lap not Chris's

In the meantime though that doesn't stop CIG itself from becoming part of AMD's Gaming Evolved.

plqfpN2.jpg

Having AMD as a partner doesn't guarantee anything about your game's performance on AMD HW if my SR3 experience is anything to go by.

I never mentioned performance in my post. To me proper support for Crossfire, Eyefinity, TressFX and the upcoming TrueAudio means just as much if not more than just performance. And from now until the game's release Crytek might just add support for Mantle, they've already said they'd welcome the initiative when AMD was talking about it more than 2 years ago.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/03/16/farewell-to-directx/1
Crytek's R&D technical director, Michael Glueck, said 'yes, that would appeal to us,'

Last edited:
We got a little off topic here. I'm stoked for more Star Citizen info! We are at 99% to 20 million!

Back