Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

What are you going to do with it once you get it?
What's the carbon footprint of it, especially considering that it serves no practical purpose?

Keep it in my wallet and bust it out in front of chicks to impress them. What else?

I am interested in getting the Rear Admiral Package but noticed it only comes with 6 months of ship insurance. My co-worker who bought the Freelancer package about 6 months ago when he logs into his account it doesn't say anything about a time limit on the ship insurance and he can also upgrade to the Rear Admiral package and again it doesn't say anything about ship insurance.

Is the lifetime insurance thing dead now? I am not willing to pay $275 for a ship that I will lose after 6 months if it (surely) gets blown up.

What's the carbon footprint of it, especially considering that it serves no practical purpose?

notSureIfsrs.jpeg

Keep it in my wallet and bust it out in front of chicks to impress them. What else?

"Sir that'll be $5.99..."

Then just bust out that card instead of an actual form of currency. They'll know. They'll know...

Umm....

There are SO many things that are useless and serve no purpose by that logic. It's a nice little thing to have, and a lot of people collect them.

This. It's a unique collector's item. Plus I can carry it around and show it off for geek-cred or something.

Do you not collect anything collectable, Thuleman?

I am interested in getting the Rear Admiral Package but noticed it only comes with 6 months of ship insurance. My co-worker who bought the Freelancer package about 6 months ago when he logs into his account it doesn't say anything about a time limit on the ship insurance and he can also upgrade to the Rear Admiral package and again it doesn't say anything about ship insurance.

Is the lifetime insurance thing dead now? I am not willing to pay $275 for a ship that I will lose after 6 months if it (surely) gets blown up.

The Lifetime Insurance thing was a perk to the early backers. If you didn't buy in during the initial funding, it's gone. Now you get a certain amount of time of insurance but anyone can purchase ongoing insurance ingame for ships. Think of the insurance similar to repair costs. Although we haven't seen any numbers yet, it is supposed to be extremely affordable for the hulls. The Lifetime version is mostly just a perk for the early folks, not a huge difference maker but more of a convenience thing.

There is also the ability of early backers to purchase additional packages (with Lifetime insurance) and "gift" them to other people... talk to your buddy for a hook up.

The cards will also be used to get access to certain areas at shows, unique tours of the offices and other giveaway/line jumps etc at cons other than just being tchotchke and obviously troll bait.

Umm....

This. It's a unique collector's item. Plus I can carry it around and show it off for geek-cred or something.

Do you not collect anything collectable, Thuleman?

Lol, no kidding. Any "carbon footprint", seriously? It's not like they carved it out of a fucking elephant tusk or something...

So is the insurance extension purchased with in-game funds then?

Yes. Roberts has said nothing will be available for purchase that isn't obtainable in game for free. Certain ships, like capital ships, will never be obtainable with cash. They will aslo be hard to obtain/maintain, and require a real crew. I just discovered the game yesterday, and I'm slowly watching GDC panels, SXSW, and other fan stuff. This game is truly the perfect women, the fabled unicorn, the lottery....well you get the idea. All the footage your seeing is over a year old. Roberts made a post not to long ago that he looks forward to promoting the game in advance of the combat alpha coming late this year that will test the servers, serve as combat balance and other critical components before moving on to the next stage.

Can't wait for alpha! 2013 is going to be a good year for games indeed...and then 2014 assuming the final is on-time. :D

Is there going to be mod support, and support for user made campaigns and missions? I was just thinking how awesome it could be if someone did a total conversion Freespace 2 campaign. :)

Is there going to be mod support, and support for user made campaigns and missions? I was just thinking how awesome it could be if someone did a total conversion Freespace 2 campaign. :)

It sounds like it...you can buy a "modder's guide" and it says you can modify game mechanics and even planets. Can't fucking wait, this is crazy awesome.

I don't forsee mod support as being officially supported or a major part of this game. It's basically an MMO with a galactic economy, which means introducing mods results in game breaking behaviour.

I don't forsee mod support as being officially supported or a major part of this game. It's basically an MMO with a galactic economy, which means introducing mods results in game breaking behaviour.

You should do a quick Google. Worthy ships, mods will be incorporated. Their sales will go to the mod makers. You can also run a private server if you choose. Roberts stated from the beginning they will support and encourage modding.

I should mention that the Citizen cards are likely no longer going to be available - they're a one-time printing for the earliest backers. However, if you did back during the official crowdfunding time, you'll get one. Note, the picture above is great, but only details the plastic variants of the cards. At higher levels, they are going to be metal! Originally, they were only going to make metal cards available to those with the Platinum, Titanium, Black, etc... card versions given by spending at least $500+ backing or more. However, because Chris Roberts and company were so cool, they made all the "metallic" card types available in metal as well (ie. Gold Vice Admiral, Silver Rear Admiral, and I THINK Bronze Colonel/Freelancer - I think the Pirate/Arrgh Matey is Green like the Bounty Hunter, so non-metal), for a nominal fee to cover the additional metal production run. For $10 more you'll get a metal version of the card variant that would have otherwise been credit card plastic.

I'm looking forward to all the cool ways that Citizen cards will be used, both in real life (ie the aforementioned VIP parties at conventions and line-jumps etc..) and in game (Apparently, your Citizen card will be visible in-game as part of your "license". I am to understand that even those who did not back in time for a physical card etc... will have a digital one as a part of the game somehow. Of course, those with backer Citizen cards will likely get to display their initial rank etc... as the one they backed at and whatnot.

Oh, and the game is extremely mod-friendly. As Amaroth said, I can confirm that they have stated frequently about being able to run a private server or single player instance, mod to your heart's content etc... the best mod features will be imported to the public universe, and there will be tons of opportunity to make your mark on the public universe. So, design a really awesome ship and model it... you'll be able to set up a manufacturing station and sell them in game! Discover a jump point or star cluster, mapping it for the first time? You can sell the charts, and they may name the cluster, a planet, star, or gate after you!

If it turns out they can make a Linux version too, Star Citizen may be the closest thing to a perfect space-universe game I've seen to date.

Lol, no kidding. Any "carbon footprint", seriously? It's not like they carved it out of a fucking elephant tusk or something...

I'd be up for some elephant tusks. I want me some ivory cards.

LeninGHOLA said:
Carbon footprint? What the fuck kind of autistic bullshit is... oh nevermind.

...LOL!!

Anyone played a source mod called Eternal Silence?
If we can have, even a little of that multiplayer gameplay.... If Star Citizen does something similar(I hope so), I will probably not see the sun for a while. :)

Man, I wish people still played it. There's like 1 or 2 servers now.... :(
I loved switching from joystick(flying), back to K&M(FPS action), then back again(flying away). SOOOOOO much fun. Star Citizen has the potential, and it seems like they are heading somewhat in that direction.

Yeah assuming this pans out it should be a seriously epic game. So far they have Oculus Rift and TrackIR support planned that in itself is going to be awesome.

Star Citizen just announced a new "Naming System" that once again, adds another layer of awesome to the game.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/poll-star-citizens-naming-system/

This explains how you will have your log in name/email etc... totally separate from in-game. Also, in-game there will be a "singular, unique handle" which is like your in-game Social Security Number for the UEE, and the NON UNIQUE, CHANGEABLE "Character Name". Thus, everyone can call themselves "Maverick" without the first guy getting the real name and everyone else being "Maverick1" and "XxxMaverickxxx" So, you can call yourself "The Dread Pirate" when you're pillaging in your Cutlass, but when you want to head back to regulation space (provided the heat is off), everyone will still know you as Markus The Trader, upstanding UEE citizen and freelance trader. However, there will be systems in place to both cloak your Handle and scanners to try to discern someone else's. So, if you piss off a player who's a bigwig with the UEE Systems Military and has access to the brand new information warfare mod, you better hope that your black-market infowar tech is sufficient to keep them from finding out that "The Dread Pirate" and "Markus The Trader" are both names on the same handle "Brannigan". The only thing I want to confirm is the difference between "different names, same character, same account/handle" and "different names, different characters, same account/handle". That is to say, the difference between "The Dread Pirate" being a separate character with his own skills etc... versus being a "persona" that can be swapped to at will that is set atop the character itself, which in turn is set atop the handle/account. I may want to play various actual characters, each choosing to appear with different personas at different times etc.... so I'll have to see how deep the system goes!

To make things even better, they're letting backers vote on how handles (unique) should be handed out - first come, first serve for everyone, or let some people pay to get access to the handles they want ahead of time. Check it out!

Awesome. I can't wait for this to see the light of day. Because I won't once it comes out.

This is either going to be the Holy Grail of PC gaming, or it's going to be a miserable flop. Let us all pray it's the former.

Star Citizen just announced a new "Naming System" that once again, adds another layer of awesome to the game.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/poll-star-citizens-naming-system/

This explains how you will have your log in name/email etc... totally separate from in-game. Also, in-game there will be a "singular, unique handle" which is like your in-game Social Security Number for the UEE, and the NON UNIQUE, CHANGEABLE "Character Name". Thus, everyone can call themselves "Maverick" without the first guy getting the real name and everyone else being "Maverick1" and "XxxMaverickxxx" So, you can call yourself "The Dread Pirate" when you're pillaging in your Cutlass, but when you want to head back to regulation space (provided the heat is off), everyone will still know you as Markus The Trader, upstanding UEE citizen and freelance trader. However, there will be systems in place to both cloak your Handle and scanners to try to discern someone else's. So, if you piss off a player who's a bigwig with the UEE Systems Military and has access to the brand new information warfare mod, you better hope that your black-market infowar tech is sufficient to keep them from finding out that "The Dread Pirate" and "Markus The Trader" are both names on the same handle "Brannigan". The only thing I want to confirm is the difference between "different names, same character, same account/handle" and "different names, different characters, same account/handle". That is to say, the difference between "The Dread Pirate" being a separate character with his own skills etc... versus being a "persona" that can be swapped to at will that is set atop the character itself, which in turn is set atop the handle/account. I may want to play various actual characters, each choosing to appear with different personas at different times etc.... so I'll have to see how deep the system goes!

To make things even better, they're letting backers vote on how handles (unique) should be handed out - first come, first serve for everyone, or let some people pay to get access to the handles they want ahead of time. Check it out!

Sounds good, and it'll let me at least be "Iceman" :D, there's going to be soo many "Mavericks/Iceman/Goose" out there lol.

I really do hope they let it be first come first serve though for the handles.

According to the poll the majority want "first come first served" but I say let people pay if they're that desperate. At least that way the tragic online gaming veterans who are so protective of their dumb character name, the ones where "you probably remember me from EQ where I was in a top raid guild", actually contribute something to the game. Not to mention a lot of people are always screwed over by time zones with this sort of thing.

My only question is, it mentions being able to block people by (unique) handle, but how do you do that if they're hiding it? Does that mean you can only block people who are twats in the in-game chat or whatever other systems rely on the unique name? Or can you block them without the game revealing the actual handle to you? But otherwise I'm all for it, especially the point about people having to come up with stupid mangled versions of names when the one they want is taken.

(also it doesn't look like the poll is limited to backers)

Sounds good, and it'll let me at least be "Iceman" :D, there's going to be soo many "Mavericks/Iceman/Goose" out there lol.

I really do hope they let it be first come first serve though for the handles.

I've using "MavericK" for a loooooooooooooong time..*shakes fist* DAMN KIDS! Actually, I picked it from Wing Commander (which probably got it from Top Gun but, whatever, hadn't even heard of that movie at that point). I don't really care about having a few numbers in my name, though.

So this is starting to sound kind of MMO-ish...what's the deal with public servers? Is it player-limited or one giant world?

I'll probably be playing mostly on a private server, anyway.

I've using "MavericK" for a loooooooooooooong time..*shakes fist* DAMN KIDS! Actually, I picked it from Wing Commander (which probably got it from Top Gun but, whatever, hadn't even heard of that movie at that point). I don't really care about having a few numbers in my name, though.

So this is starting to sound kind of MMO-ish...what's the deal with public servers? Is it player-limited or one giant world?

I'll probably be playing mostly on a private server, anyway.

It works more like Dark souls kind of, you play online on their servers, the main "MMU" (Massively multiplayer universe they refer to it as) and it works on instances (around 100 real players per instance last I heard, maybe more now).

You can set tags with friends, so it will keep you together through instances (so if you jump to another area and they follow, it'll keep you together).

The game will place palyers in instances also with missions, and it will take AI in/out of the game depending on things, according to a latest interview.

For example, if a factory is making missles, and it needs parts, it will send out this mission , a player can take on this mission, but if no one does an NPC can also do it instead.

As far as player servers, yes players can have their own servers. The game will support mods, and they have even said if some mods are good and well received by players, they might incorporate them into their main MMU.

Playing a player ran server though I do not believe it will allow you to transfer (IE go onto the MMU), as this could lead to way too many exploits and things.

Think of it kind of like the main MMU (hosted by Cloud Imperium) as closed B.net, whereas the player ran servers are open b.net, you can play on them, they can run mods, etc.

At least that way the tragic online gaming veterans who are so protective of their dumb character name, the ones where "you probably remember me from EQ where I was in a top raid guild"

"You probably remember me from being in one of the major cabals in that MUD everyone played back in the day." :D

I don't foresee anyone trying to use my name, so I could care less, but I probably wouldn't be against pitching in a few extra bucks if that's all it would cost I suppose. Anything more than that and it wouldn't be worth it.

I remember seeing this about a year ago and thought it was bad ass. Its come up again and this time I decided to throw some money at it. Hope I don't regret it (doubt I can reget anything more than DNF)

It works more like Dark souls kind of, you play online on their servers, the main "MMU" (Massively multiplayer universe they refer to it as) and it works on instances (around 100 real players per instance last I heard, maybe more now).

You can set tags with friends, so it will keep you together through instances (so if you jump to another area and they follow, it'll keep you together).

The game will place palyers in instances also with missions, and it will take AI in/out of the game depending on things, according to a latest interview.

For example, if a factory is making missles, and it needs parts, it will send out this mission , a player can take on this mission, but if no one does an NPC can also do it instead.

As far as player servers, yes players can have their own servers. The game will support mods, and they have even said if some mods are good and well received by players, they might incorporate them into their main MMU.

Playing a player ran server though I do not believe it will allow you to transfer (IE go onto the MMU), as this could lead to way too many exploits and things.

Think of it kind of like the main MMU (hosted by Cloud Imperium) as closed B.net, whereas the player ran servers are open b.net, you can play on them, they can run mods, etc.

Your kind of on the right track. They will have a master world server that people will fly around in, explore, and what not. Then when combat is initiated it creates an instance, with say 100 slots open (Numbers haven't been determined yet). It reserves slots for both sides so you can get help from people or what not. Robert's explains it much better, but the main universe is not instance from his descriptions. Check out the Wingman's Hanger Episodes each week on youtube. There is always a staff guest, and they go over game development each week and there is a ton of info! Roberts actually covered the instancing this week. The first episodes are really rough as they are just moving into their office, but as it goes on the quality improves.

i cant get as excited for this game as i'd like to, having a full time job and gf etc. if i was back in my college days where i just went to school and played video games, i would be super excited for it. i just cant see myself getting too far in it only playing 2-5 hours a week. :/

i cant get as excited for this game as i'd like to, having a full time job and gf etc. if i was back in my college days where i just went to school and played video games, i would be super excited for it. i just cant see myself getting too far in it only playing 2-5 hours a week. :/

Well they will have combat arenas you can place bets on. They will have races you can bet on. You could fly a fighter for a guild/clan/squadron. Its not the rpg level base skill up that we have seen for the last 10 years. Every ship has a chance to take out another in its class because weapons, shields, etc... are modular.

Did anyone read this? Makes me drool. https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/death-of-a-spacema/

Sounds a lot like me too :O I am currently building a hell of a backlog since I've had my first kid. The second one isn't helping either :p

I have yet to play to a lot of past great games, I just can't imagine how to find the time to play to new games. Star Citizen certainly is at the top of my list, I just hope the game is just so freaking awesome, I'll have to find creative ways to play :p

I don't have a ton of gaming time either. I'm more excited about the singleplayer side of the game, which I would hope one can play small chunks of on their own time.

You have plenty of time to get through your back log. SC is set to launch November 2014.

of course, now that we've passed the 9 million dollar stretch goal, anyone who pledges for a ship up until the new website goes online will have lifetime insurance on that ship (details in this comm link update). so if that was holding you back from getting something other than the aurora, now is the time to pledge.

Last edited:
Is $35 the lowest price for entry? I want to pledge and get into the alpha but would be happier around $15.

Wow. the $15000 package is sold out. I am feeling pooooor atm. Sure wish I could go there bc this is a gametype I would be all in with if I could.

the cheapest pledge to get the full game and alpha / beta access is $40. from the main page, click on the giant "learn more" button and select the digital mercenary. or, for $45 you can go here and get the advanced starter pack. it comes with a better equipped aurora (lx variant; standard is marque), but doesn't include the 1,000 starting credits.

if you're just interested in the online universe part of the game, and not the wing-commander style squadron 42 part of the game, you can get the starter pack for $35 (which includes alpha / beta access). frankly i don't think it's a good move, as the squadron 42 campaign is going to kick ass lol. but hey, some people don't like single player games...

Back