Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

Kinda odd that it required 4.5 mil for TrackIR support, but I'm glad to have it. :D

Personally I am more interested in the Occulus Rift support. I think that could provide a better experience than TrackIR ever could.

I'm guessing the primary control method will be with a joystick, and while the occulus rift is a pretty neat idea, if you need to take your hands off the joystick to press some keyboard buttons or even some other joystick buttons, having a VR helmet would certainly be a hindrance. On the contrary, TrackIR/FreeTrack offers a similar level of immersion without blinding the user from potentially needed inputs.

I would presume and hope that the level of detail that'll be in the game, you'd need a keyboard but I'd have thought most you cold map to the extra buttons littering a modern high end HOTAS system.

I've got a Logitech X3D Pro with about a 1/4" of dust on it, it's been so long since a decent space flight sim came out. That plus my nostromo n52 should be sufficient for keyboard specific input. I'm pretty excited about this game, I hope it lives up to X3 level at least, and with a persistent universe and multiplayer option on top... Exciting times.

Think their website is too packed or something...can't get to the page to donate to RSI. Main page takes forever to load, and donation page times out with an error. Arg!

Alright people, we are at the final 24 hours of this campaign! We currently stand at 4.75 MILLION dollars pledged, with 5+ million in our sights. There are a number of limited-time add-ons as well as some other goodies, so check them out! I'm linking to the kickstarter post to take some load off of the RSI website. It's getting hammered right now, so please be patient!

You'll still be able to pledge after this initial crowd-funding is over. If you pledge now though, you'll be able to upgrade your pledge at a later date in case you really want something but don't have all the cash now. There will be a live-stream marathon going until the campaign is over; I'll update with the relevant links when everything goes live!

I've got a Logitech X3D Pro with about a 1/4" of dust on it, it's been so long since a decent space flight sim came out. That plus my nostromo n52 should be sufficient for keyboard specific input. I'm pretty excited about this game, I hope it lives up to X3 level at least, and with a persistent universe and multiplayer option on top... Exciting times.
Too bad the Logitech joystick doesn't last...mine was practically brand new and already the 3rd axis (twist) is screwy. I'm curious about the gamepad though...I was looking at Logitech's...I suspect Star Citizen will sell a lot of gaming peripherals! :D

Curious, for this site, has there been a crowd-funding more popular than this one?

yes and no. for overall dollars, it beat out the previous record holder (project eternity at 4.1 million). however, this campaign has run for 10 days longer, so it's not a direct comparison. if we manage to raise 5.35 million though, it would overtake project eternity for funds raised over the length of the campaign.

Their main site is crumbling under the load... I'm trying to get in there now for the $60 pack!

:D

if you want, you can use my referral link to grab yourself an extra 250 credits and a chance to win some swag. if you've already pledged, you can click on "your account" in the top and enter a friends name (or mine, Cyco-Dude ) or e-mail into the referral box. you need to at least get a ship though (so you need to pledge $30 or more).

Any data on the status of upgrades etc... after the campaign is over in 21 hours or so?

Assuming I pledge at least $35 etc before the end of the campaign...what I'm wondering is A) Will I be able to upgrade my pledge at a later date and all the pricing and features of upgrades remain the same as those offered during the campaign and B) If those addons/skins "exclusive features" and whatnot will be available to add-on/upgrade to, because my original pledge was during the main campaign?

In short, if someone pledges originally during the campaign, is everything "locked in" so they can upgrade/add-on in the future with all of the low prices/special features that existed during the campaign ?

i think the basic tiers and prices will be fine, but the 24-hour exclusive stuff will not be available. i'll ask and see if i can get a definitive answer, but yes, you will certainly be able to upgrade to at least the basic tiers.

ok, this is right from chris roberts: if you pledge for at least the basic tier ($30 aurora or higher tier), you will be able to upgrade after this to any of the tiers and get any of the add-ons at the current prices, with the exception of the limited time offer stuff. so there you go.

Last edited:
Thanks. Can you perhaps list the exclusives that are going away? From what I can tell on the new update, there is a "Vanduul Fighter" that they say is today only - can't see a price anywhere because RSI is down currently, but I'm guessing it won't be cheap as they say there are only 300 of them to be sold! For instance, will the $5 electro-skins, the 2 pirate skins etc... be available to add-on at a later date for someone who pledged during the campaign?

Thanks. Can you perhaps list the exclusives that are going away? From what I can tell on the new update, there is a "Vanduul Fighter" that they say is today only - can't see a price anywhere because RSI is down currently, but I'm guessing it won't be cheap as they say there are only 300 of them to be sold! For instance, will the $5 electro-skins, the 2 pirate skins etc... be available to add-on at a later date for someone who pledged during the campaign?

"Star Citizen" t-shirt [$25]
"Squadron 42" t-shirt [$25]
"Shut Up and Take My Money" [$5] (lol, i have no idea what this one is)
Addon Ship: Anvil Gladiator Bomber [$150]
Addon Ship: ORIGIN M50 Interceptor [$85]
Addon Ship: MISC Starfarer Tanker [$175]
Addon Ship: Drake Interplanetary Caterpillar ($225)
Addon Ship: Retaliator Heavy Bomber [$250]

there is (was?) a vanduul fighter for $300, limited to 500 and a corvette capitol ship for $1,000, limited to 100. more updates can be found here the rsi website is still nuked, so you can pledge on their kickstarter in the meantime.

Haven't they said over and over though that these ships are NOT exclusive? That it's only a way to help support the game and get the ships early with a "lifetime insurance" (I assume that means if you die/lose the ship you can get another one) however these ships can be found in the normal game on your own and aren't exclusive to kickstarter or anything.

Haven't they said over and over though that these ships are NOT exclusive? That it's only a way to help support the game and get the ships early with a "lifetime insurance" (I assume that means if you die/lose the ship you can get another one) however these ships can be found in the normal game on your own and aren't exclusive to kickstarter or anything.

correct, these ships are NOT exclusive to backers, it's just they will not be for sale after this on the website. you'll have to buy them with in-game credits.

yeah, the rsi website is cooked. if you aren't pledging, you should probably stay off it for now.

So is this game now the highest crowdfunding game project so far?

PE ending at around 4 million and something (including paypal donations) and this is already at 5mil.

broke the 5.5 million dollar milestone at 6:25am et, and unlocked playable carriers, among other things. incredible.

Back