Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

So I totally just got wood again after looking at the images.

That is all. :)

I agree with your points but one thing that their site does offer that Kickstarter does not is the ability to pay using PayPal. This opens them up to a section of people tat would have been cut off. I am not saying that means that being on Kickstarter wouldn't have helped them but I think they are doing alright as is without it.

Almost every kickstarter I have been a part of they have setup a way to use paypal, while not directly by kickstarter you'll see in most of the bigger ones they update with paypal details and how people that want to use it can use it.

PFFT...Console port..

NOT! Looks bad ass, and it's about time this genre got some loving...quality loving..

Well, I know I tried to back this project, but their site was bogged down at the time. I'll go back and try again in a few days, but makes me wonder if thier site getting hammered early on hurt them a bit.

Hopefully they will recover sooner than later.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/17/s...ng-and-potential-microstransactions-detailed/

Star Citizen system requirements, modding and potential microstransactions detailed
Comments 21 Marsh Davies at 12:29pm October 17 2012

Star Citizen, the new space game from Wing Commander-creator Chris Roberts, has released a new FAQ which reveals the estimated system specs for the game, clarifies how modding will work - it is, in fact, highly encouraged - and what sort of things may be purchasable via microtransaction. Many of the other questions within the FAQ have already been covered in our substantial Star Citizen preview of the game, but it's good to hear Chris Roberts clarify the fine print on a few points.

The game is two years away, and is underpinned by CryEngine 3, so needless to say the minimum system requirements are far from puny, with only cutting edge tech being able to make the game soar:

Minimum:
Dual core CPU
GTX 460
4GB of system memory

Recommended:
i7 2500, 2600, 2700
GTX 670 or better

When it comes to mods, the FAQ stresses how open to modding the game will be:

"Players will be given full control of their game! When operating private servers, players will be able and encouraged to mod the game. It doesn't stop there, though: we hope to institute a `mod approval' process that will allow the best of the best player created ships and other additions to be integrated into the central persistent world as well."

The FAQ also clarifies payment: a single, one-off purchase of the initial game will suffice. There will be no monthly fee. "Some in-game items may be available as microtransactions," the FAQ goes on to say, "but we will NEVER sell anything that can't be acquired through honest (and fun!) gameplay."

Reassuring. So reassuring in fact, that players are throwing money at the project in huge numbers. In the last five days Star Citizen has scooped up an additional $500,000 in funding, taking it half way to its target of $2,000,000 with 23 days left to go. 9,961 prospective pilots have pledged at the time of writing.

Head over to the Roberts Space Industries website for more details, or take a look at our Star Citizen screenshot gallery to examine the imagination fuelling the project.

Wonderful news. Looks like they will make funding.
2 years though..... man, thats a long time. I wonder if the graphics are actually a bit conservative, considering....

So it's like a MMO, but not?

There is a single player campaign and after (or immediately if you choose not to play the campaign) it is an open galaxy game that you can do a metric shit ton of stuff in. This is probably a gross oversimplification, but that's the very basic premise.

There is a single player campaign and after (or immediately if you choose not to play the campaign) it is an open galaxy game that you can do a metric shit ton of stuff in. This is probably a gross oversimplification, but that's the very basic premise.

Here a few things that make believe it's almost a full blown MMO.

A huge universe to explore, trade and adventure in.
Space is unending, endless and so are your opportunities. Strike out to make your fortune amongst the Stars or sign-up for a tour of duty in the UEE Fleet.

Constantly expanding and evolving universe.
We’re committed to making Star Citizen a living, breathing universe that is its own entity. It will be a constantly shifting and evolving place for players to explore and affect.

Micro updates rule!
We’re not interested in having yearly updates. We will have a team of people adding content on a weekly or bi-weekly basis, not too dissimilar to what we’ve been striving to do on the RSI website. So we’ll always be adding data, stories and campaigns as well as reacting to the needs and actions of the players.

Wing Commander style single player mode, playable OFFLINE if you want.
Playable offline or online, co-op with friends, you sign up for a tour of duty with the UEE fleet, manning the front lines, protecting settlements from Vanduul warbands.

Fully dynamic economy driven by player actions
If too many people fly iron ore to the smelting plants of New Pittsburg, steel prices will drop. Buy low… sell high… you hope.

The cost of society
In game trade landing and trade tariffs pay for law and order in the civilized systems. Want to make a bigger profit? Try the outer world – outside earth’s infrastructure and protection. The downside? No military or local police to protect you from an opportunistic pirate!

Here a few things that make believe it's almost a full blown MMO.

Yeah I see what you mean, however there is no requirement to ever play with real people like a traditional MMO to enjoy the full experience.

So it's like a MMO, but not?

Think of it as putting both Wing Commander (story driven single player campaign) and Freelancer (open world, exploration, do what you want) together.

The single player portion is called Squadron 42, basically you take a military career and it follows a storyline/campaign like the Wing Commander games. This isn't "open," you can't just go off and do whatever in this part of the game (you'd be going AWOL).

The open world/exploration part of the game is referred to as Starship Citizen. This is like Freelancer in the sense of how it's layed out and things

However they have said that if you want to you can go straight into the open world part of the game and not do the military story focused campaign if you do not wish to. If you do decide to do squadron 42 once you finish it it goes of finto the open world Starship citizen part of the game.

Also the game will have online play as far as the open world goes. I'm not sure if it's complete online a la an mmo, where you see other players travelling around , or if you'll have to join instnaces for it. We do know that players can influence the game, an example being if a player discovers a jump gate that no one else has and he successfully navigates it and jumps into it, the galaxy he discovers will be named after that player.

Think of it as putting both Wing Commander (story driven single player campaign) and Freelancer (open world, exploration, do what you want) together.

The single player portion is called Squadron 42, basically you take a military career and it follows a storyline/campaign like the Wing Commander games. This isn't "open," you can't just go off and do whatever in this part of the game (you'd be going AWOL).

The open world/exploration part of the game is referred to as Starship Citizen. This is like Freelancer in the sense of how it's layed out and things

However they have said that if you want to you can go straight into the open world part of the game and not do the military story focused campaign if you do not wish to. If you do decide to do squadron 42 once you finish it it goes of finto the open world Starship citizen part of the game.

Also the game will have online play as far as the open world goes. I'm not sure if it's complete online a la an mmo, where you see other players travelling around , or if you'll have to join instnaces for it. We do know that players can influence the game, an example being if a player discovers a jump gate that no one else has and he successfully navigates it and jumps into it, the galaxy he discovers will be named after that player.

^^^What he said. :)

I am crazy amped for this game.

So anyone going to buy a flight stick set-up for this game? I am doing research now and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations. Back when I was a lad I had a full Thrustmaster setup that was the business, but alas I got rid of it a long ass time ago. Anything better than Thrustmaster now?

I'm a CH Products fan. Still have my gameport and USB rigs. (Combatstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals)

TM sticks are great for heavy springs and resistance (a must for serious flight sim buffs). But for a space-sim, I'd prefer far less resistance, almost floppy compared to TM standards.

I've still got my old Saitek X-45...thought about selling it but I might keep it around for this game. Though, in two years, I could probably just get something better...

So anyone going to buy a flight stick set-up for this game? I am doing research now and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations. Back when I was a lad I had a full Thrustmaster setup that was the business, but alas I got rid of it a long ass time ago. Anything better than Thrustmaster now?

I use a CH fighterstick.

CH is known for being one of the most durable and precise joysticks out there. It will set you back more then the cheaper (and usually more "flashy") joysticks like those by Saitek, but it usually lasts a looooot longer and is more well made/sturdy.

you could probably get by with just a joystick, without pedals and things.

They have said that the game will use keyboards, gamepads and joysticks. The video he even used an xbox gamepad while demoing it.

Meh. Very low amount of flight sticks these days. I spent a good bit of time looking for one, but aside from the +$500 thrustmaster Hotas warthog, everything else is expensive and honestly really old. The X65 or X52 are neat, but get lots of bad reviews, and considering all they have done is gone up in price over the past decade they have been out, its hard to drop that kind of coin.
I think its the x65 that costs a fortune, but the stick doesnt even move...

I searched for over a month and ended up deciding on the cheap $35 thrustmaster Hotas X. its simple but solid. I couldnt justify the x52 for +$150 with all the negative reviews, and after that there is very little in the $150-$500 range. Sticks like the saitek Cyborg looked promising, but also gets bad reviews and usually lands in at $80.

I hope they have TrackIR support :)

Meh. Very low amount of flight sticks these days. I spent a good bit of time looking for one, but aside from the +$500 thrustmaster Hotas warthog, everything else is expensive and honestly really old. The X65 or X52 are neat, but get lots of bad reviews, and considering all they have done is gone up in price over the past decade they have been out, its hard to drop that kind of coin.
I think its the x65 that costs a fortune, but the stick doesnt even move...

I searched for over a month and ended up deciding on the cheap $35 thrustmaster Hotas X. its simple but solid. I couldnt justify the x52 for +$150 with all the negative reviews, and after that there is very little in the $150-$500 range. Sticks like the saitek Cyborg looked promising, but also gets bad reviews and usually lands in at $80.

I hope they have TrackIR support :)

Well, my budget for a new controller set up is around 300 bucks and it looks like the CH stuff Stiler recommended is going to be the set up I go with. My old roommate always had their products and they always worked well.

Off Facebook:

Chris Roberts here!

We hit $1M at 9:35 am PST!!!!! And this was without adding in the lagging backup site orders!

Thanks to everyone that helped push it in the last 10 hours!

50% of the way to the minimum goal in just over 7 days!!!

And there will be some additional big news in a few hours.

You guys are all legendary!

We'll come back to the community with Mr / Mrs $1M and the winner from the list of backers to date that both will get a mint signed Wing Commander from me

And everyone that has backed to date congratulations on your additional 500 credits. Should help with a few nice initial upgrades when the universe goes live for the first time!

I hope this game kicks my computer's ass and finally makes me upgrade.

But isn't it not coming out for like 2 more years? By then we'll have GTX 880's and 980's right around the corner. If you haven't got at least a mid range 8xx by then... :p

But isn't it not coming out for like 2 more years? By then we'll have GTX 880's and 980's right around the corner. If you haven't got at least a mid range 8xx by then... :p

At my resolution (1920x1080) I still am fine with an ancient hd5850, overclocked. Not too many games even push that thing very hard, but a few do. Metro: Last Light may be my upgrade point. I never fell into the BF3 trap.

At my resolution (1920x1080) I still am fine with an ancient hd5850, overclocked. Not too many games even push that thing very hard, but a few do. Metro: Last Light may be my upgrade point. I never fell into the BF3 trap.

I suppose I'm kind of anal about PC hardware. I like to have modern parts all the time, kind of like with cars. I have to have the car that has the most up to date gadgets and technology, that's why I lease. I agree though on the 5850 front, it's a solid as hell card.

Despite the overall letdown it was vs BF2, it's still quite a fun game and worth a go, IMO. Each time I stop playing for 3 months or so and come back, I get WOW'ed by the atmosphere all over again. The new AK DLC maps are stunning; if only the gameplay could be tweaked slightly. Not sure what it is, just doesn't quite have "it".

Despite the overall letdown it was vs BF2, it's still quite a fun game and worth a go, IMO. Each time I stop playing for 3 months or so and come back, I get WOW'ed by the atmosphere all over again. The new AK DLC maps are stunning; if only the gameplay could be tweaked slightly. Not sure what it is, just doesn't quite have "it".

I hear you. That "it" isn't there from BF2. I want to say it's Commander mode, or the overall better team-play that you felt when people actually gave a shit and led squads around.

Oh, I'm not a BF3 hater. I'll get to it one of these days. There's just so much in the game queue for me right now it probably won't be this year. I have about 12 games in backlog, which is unlike me. I tend to keep ahead.

I suppose I'm kind of anal about PC hardware. I like to have modern parts all the time, kind of like with cars. I have to have the car that has the most up to date gadgets and technology, that's why I lease. I agree though on the 5850 front, it's a solid as hell card.

I was that way. Now I get upset seeing so much unused potential even with my aging system. There are a couple games that force me to bump all of my overclocks up, but I can count them on one hand, usually.

Games like this restore my faith in PC game technology.

So...like...is it a space based MMO then? I read that you can do mission etc, amass great wealth, player driven economy...etc...what the crap does that all mean though?

It's like a quasi-MMO.

Back