Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

I hope they don't bite off more than they chew. I don't allow myself to get excited any more, until the game is out and being tested. Here's to hoping they can pull it off.

I hope they don't bite off more than they chew. I don't allow myself to get excited any more, until the game is out and being tested. Here's to hoping they can pull it off.

They are already 12months into development. What you saw was in-engine.

Chris Roberts made both Wing Commander and Freelancer so I don't think he's bitten off more then he can chew.

Keep in mind they need to get money from venture capitalists. Like Takedown, this will not be funded purely through the fans as they will likely not be able to get the money needed by fans alone. $2-4 million by fans will be enough to convince investors that this market is viable to invest into, just like Serellan needed to raise $200,000 to show that tactical shooters were viable to invest into.

Some people might skip over that so I am making it clear.

sounds way too ambitious, I'll believe it when I see it.

I agree, i hate to sound negative but it'll likely be only 60% of the list that they end up accomplishing, and only 40% upon launch.

They are already 12months into development. What you saw was in-engine.

Chris Roberts made both Wing Commander and Freelancer so I don't think he's bitten off more then he can chew.

sounds way too ambitious, I'll believe it when I see it.

For all the eventual goals it sounds ambitious. However, if the game is setup right with an almost modular approach, I think that these things can be added over time. In say 6 or 7 years we might be able to see the game as envisioned being fully playable. Let's hope.

For all the eventual goals it sounds ambitious. However, if the game is setup right with an almost modular approach, I think that these things can be added over time. In say 6 or 7 years we might be able to see the game as envisioned being fully playable. Let's hope.

You gotta admit though nearly every Kickstarter type project sounds "ambitious" with its pitch. He has to be ambitious otherwise people might not think he's really getting back into the mix. If his 11 minute "pitch" was mixed with "well , we will see what we can do and we HOPE to do this and we might do that" then I personally wouldn't have preorded the game.

Reading over the main site now that it's up, we have an answer to some earlier questions, the one I'm most happy about:

"You wanted proper Newtonian mechanics. You got it! Spaceships adjust their trajectory and orientation just like the real thing."

You gotta admit though nearly every Kickstarter type project sounds "ambitious" with its pitch. He has to be ambitious otherwise people might not think he's really getting back into the mix. If his 11 minute "pitch" was mixed with "well , we will see what we can do and we HOPE to do this and we might do that" then I personally wouldn't have preorded the game.

Many of them do, but reading between the lines my expectations are generally low. Until I saw the video, I wasn't convinced this one would be any different. After seeing the video, I have no doubts with regard to their technical expertise or their drive to get it done. The only thing I have to wonder about is whether or not this can be completed before it's dated too badly. I've no doubts the required funding will be raised. It's a dead genre, second rate platform and PC gamers have wanted this for so long. The time is right. The pitch was good enough. Hell I've thought about contributing starship designs (I have several) and seeing if I can get one included in the game, as well as pledging some funding to it, preordering etc.

I do not normally partake in any kickstarter style project. Ever.

Reading over the main site now that it's up, we have an answer to some earlier questions, the one I'm most happy about:

"You wanted proper Newtonian mechanics. You got it! Spaceships adjust their trajectory and orientation just like the real thing."
Blah. I'm glad you realism folks are happy, but those of us wanting a true WC/FS/TF experience will have to settle then. Not much choice when it comes to space games. :(

Blah. I'm glad you realism folks are happy, but those of us wanting a true WC/FS/TF experience will have to settle then. Not much choice when it comes to space games. :(

It's not a really a realism thing. It just makes the experience a lot better. There are quite a few space sims that use newtonian physics (go play Independence War 2 and tell me that doesn't feel better than Freelancer), hell, even the console only Colony Wars did it, so I honestly don't know why any PC based sim where joysticks are easily available wouldn't use newtonian physics.

Atmospheric flight physics make zero sense in space. It's literally a retarded implementation. If someone wants that they can play a flight SIM with some mods to make the backdrop look like space.

Real physics? Yes, please. If we have to learn new things to control these ships properly, I say that's fantastic. Gives players a taste of what it might be like to actually be in space, in a spaceship.

It's not a really a realism thing. It just makes the experience a lot better. There are quite a few space sims that use newtonian physics (go play Independence War 2 and tell me that doesn't feel better than Freelancer), hell, even the console only Colony Wars did it, so I honestly don't know why any PC based sim where joysticks are easily available wouldn't use newtonian physics.
I've played IWar2, and it's a great game, but I simply prefer the flight model of the older space shooters. It's not a deal breaker, but "better experience" is a matter of opinion.

The thing about real physics is that it opens up a LOT more detail for flying.

For example, when attacking a bigger ship instead of simply strafing straight forward like you'd do in a flight sim set on earth you can simple get a proper line up of the ship you want to attack right beside it and then fire your thrusters forward to get momentum and then turn your ship to face the ship the entire length of it and keep firing. You simply oculdn't do this without newtonian physics.

I think it's a matter of getting more used it it and practicing at it.

the strategies and depth opens up a lot more once you have proper physics for space flight.

I definitely want to keep an open mind about it! I think it may be the case that I like the more visceral presentation that space shooters tend to have, and that may be souring me on the overall flight experience of space sims, not necessarily the flight model. For example, with IW2, as much as I loved the openness and the sim elements, I found the combat to be somewhat dull when compared to a game like Freespace 2. But that might be more presentation and mission design than flight model.

Either way, it's too early to worry about it.

Nice! This takes the crown along with everything else for great gameplay.

And I've played every WC, including the original. If anybody can pull this off, it's Chris Robert and his team.

jizz-in-my-pants.gif

This is exactly what PC gaming needs.

so I honestly don't know why any PC based sim where joysticks are easily available wouldn't use newtonian physics.

It wouldn't be a sim if it didn't.

Sim = simulator, which implies a simulation or at least something realistic enough to simulate what something might be. Air flight mechanics with WWI line of sight weapons doesn't = a space sim. It is merely a shooter. Throw in trading and exploration, and it is an action RPG/shooter set in space. Which itself is fine, but its a different genre. Though I guess the general public will call space ship based RPGs "sims" much like they call Ace Combat a "flight sim".

I'm still interested in this title, though at first I read about the movement system as well as the term simulator and got overly excited thinking I would finally get a game with realistic space combat. :p

But as with others, I'll take anything right about now. The whole space combat theme is essentially empty right now. Even on the PS2 there were a decent amount of space shooters whereas there seems to be nothing today.

Atmospheric flight physics make zero sense in space. It's literally a retarded implementation. If someone wants that they can play a flight SIM with some mods to make the backdrop look like space.

Real physics? Yes, please. If we have to learn new things to control these ships properly, I say that's fantastic. Gives players a taste of what it might be like to actually be in space, in a spaceship.

This. While we are at it, please add in some proper weapon systems!

If it's proper Newtonian, why does the ship in the video stop spinning when the manoeuvring thrusters are turned off? Anyway it's completely possible to have a plausible, physical model while still being fun and not being a slippy-slidey joke, you just have a fly-by-wire ship which applies corrective controls automatically. And then if you're really smart you let the purists switch it off, and then you wait for them to descend on the official forums and complain about how unplayable the game is when they get their asses handed to them.

As for the scope of the game, he can add all the open world stuff at a later date as far as I'm concerned, just give me a nice long story mode with some big pitched battles, WC-style.

I can't believe this. I actually started up Wing Commander 1 and started playing it again. Hint: Don't turbo through asteroid fields. ;-)

Wing Commander 2 was my first wing commander. Got it Christmas when I was 13 with a brand new Soundblaster as well. I remember spending hours as a kid reading the dos books to create a boot disk that would convert my extended memory to expanded memory via emm386. Good times

Also was the first game to get me in trouble. Mom came into computer room as a wingman died screaming "shiiiitttttt!!!!!!!'. Good times again!

This whole private crowdsourcing system is kind of a clusterfuck. They managed to take my money twice (only confirmed once, trying to get in touch with them about the other) yet I still have no login on the website, and there's no way to register without donating AFAIK. :rolleyes:

I'm really excited for this game, but they should have just used Kickstarter.

I've played IWar2, and it's a great game, but I simply prefer the flight model of the older space shooters. It's not a deal breaker, but "better experience" is a matter of opinion.

The older space shooter model always felt like "flying a ball" in space. Didn't matter if it was X-W/TIE, WC, or Freespace. I would contend that that "better experience" (compounded by "mission grind") is what killed space sims in the first place.

Pats pockets for money...Hmm. Those graphics lag on a 670? We're going to need a bigger GPU.

Well since developers saying "2 years" means "3 - 3 1/2 years" we'll be two GPU generations down the road by the time this lands.

Look incredible, but, cry engine 3 :( expect 40fps even on high end cards. Watching the one hour presentation and he's getting huge fps drops with no AA running on a 670. Just yeah. Wish I wasn't addicted to 60fps!
Consider yourself fortunate that you aren't addicted to 120 fps.

This whole private crowdsourcing system is kind of a clusterfuck. They managed to take my money twice (only confirmed once, trying to get in touch with them about the other) yet I still have no login on the website, and there's no way to register without donating AFAIK. :rolleyes:

I'm really excited for this game, but they should have just used Kickstarter.

By this time it is more familiar and there are some restrictions which might make people feel more comfortable. Might have gotten better publicity, though Kickstarter takes a share of the money.

hmmmm

5 days and only 4 pages ~70 posts. pics of a genmayers wart on his toe can get that in an hour.

I really thought, reading here throughout the years, that something like this would release a shitstorm. I mean a knockdown, slobbering, creamy-sticky splooge of pent up raw human demand for a life giving neccessity.
This is the game. This is the game, physics preferences be damned, that has spawned thousands of threads bemoaning the lack of this game. He is throwing in the kitchen sink. It is Wing Commander. It is Privateer. It is Freelancer. OK, it's not Freespace 3... BUT, it is on the PC.

AND.... meh.

Donations seem to be stalled at the ~775,000 point...
ok 783,342 right now.

I'm going to pronounce the reception, sadly, as lukewarm.

Thoughts?

The guy had me sold after watching the intro video on his site. When someone has so much passion about something it is really something to see. I am usually not into these kind of games but he got me interested big time.

hmmmm

5 days and only 4 pages ~70 posts. pics of a genmayers wart on his toe can get that in an hour.

I really thought, reading here throughout the years, that something like this would release a shitstorm. I mean a knockdown, slobbering, creamy-sticky splooge of pent up raw human demand for a life giving neccessity.
This is the game. This is the game, physics preferences be damned, that has spawned thousands of threads bemoaning the lack of this game. He is throwing in the kitchen sink. It is Wing Commander. It is Privateer. It is Freelancer. OK, it's not Freespace 3... BUT, it is on the PC.

AND.... meh.

ok 783,342 right now.

Thoughts?

I'm a little shocked as well. I thought for sure it would have gotten to $2 million by now. Looks like there's about 8,500 donors right now (space sim fans). There's got to be more of us out there than that.

I'm a little shocked as well. I thought for sure it would have gotten to $2 million by now. Looks like there's about 8,500 donors right now (space sim fans). There's got to be more of us out there than that.

It hasn't been out for that long has it ? Even if it has been 5 days I would say just shy of $800,000 is pretty good. There is still 25 days left. I for one plan on spreading the word to as many friends as possible and to other forums. If someone like me was impressed enough to give $30 then there is no excuse for a true space sim fan.

hmmmm

AND.... meh.

ok 783,342 right now.

Thoughts?

I think the main problem is that they are doing it in-house with subs from their own site.

We already have kickstarter, and while yes kickstarter does take a % of money out it still has a HUGE userbase of people.

I think if they had did it on kickstarter it would have a lot more people.

Not to mention the first few days the site was all kinds of fucked up and had to use the backup site for sending in donations, etc.

To me kickstarter would have been a better plan, people know it, lots of people browse it to find things , and people trust it.

I think the main problem is that they are doing it in-house with subs from their own site.

We already have kickstarter, and while yes kickstarter does take a % of money out it still has a HUGE userbase of people.

I think if they had did it on kickstarter it would have a lot more people.

Not to mention the first few days the site was all kinds of fucked up and had to use the backup site for sending in donations, etc.

To me kickstarter would have been a better plan, people know it, lots of people browse it to find things , and people trust it.

I agree with your points but one thing that their site does offer that Kickstarter does not is the ability to pay using PayPal. This opens them up to a section of people tat would have been cut off. I am not saying that means that being on Kickstarter wouldn't have helped them but I think they are doing alright as is without it.

By this time it is more familiar and there are some restrictions which might make people feel more comfortable. Might have gotten better publicity, though Kickstarter takes a share of the money.

Yeah...well, as an update, I finally heard back from them and they said they are going to take care of it. So I'm not too worried about it.

Back