Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

yeah sounds really nice, and makes me want 3 more character slots so i can crew out a connie with my own npc's so they look how i want.

Wildace, Passiveace, Introvertedace, Expressiveace, emoace :D

I'd still need 4 more packages to fully crew my Idris lol. Brilliant way to go after my wallet.

Wildace, Passiveace, Introvertedace, Expressiveace, emoace :D

I'd still need 4 more packages to fully crew my Idris lol. Brilliant way to go after my wallet.

i guess that still depends on how many npc crew you are allowed to hire your self. they still havnt told us the limits on that.

like is the Idris forced multi player and needing atleast 2 players and their crews to fill all the slots.

You still get multiple character slots anyway right?

you only get multiple character slots if you own more than one package, or buy more in the voyager direct store.

keep in mind thats not stopping you from playing the single player with as many characters as you want but when it comes to the persistent world, 1 character slot from a pledge = 1 character period until you buy another one.

oh I missed this part
"Players who would like additional Game Character slots, either to create a second player character or to build a customized crew, but don’t have multiple packages will be have the option of a stand-alone Character Slot purchase from the pledge store without having to buy a full game package."

you have to buy another slot

Remember though that when you create a character you get to name an heir to all your possessions, which is essentially an extra character slot. Only caveat is you have to wait until your main one dies
Edit: Yeah you figured it out.

And as I expected, no go on the video card request lol

0D7JX5W.jpg

What I am wondering is that it mentions how if you have two characters you can take control of the other one when your character dies, kind of like using them as a descendant to play as.

Does that mean you lose your slot/character when they die doing this? Or once this happens can you then take that other slot and make another new character?

What I am wondering is that it mentions how if you have two characters you can take control of the other one when your character dies, kind of like using them as a descendant to play as.

Does that mean you lose your slot/character when they die doing this? Or once this happens can you then take that other slot and make another new character?

Most likely the latter. Knowing what we know now it's probably a good idea we reread "Death of a Spaceman" and apply what is said there to their clarification.

This is really great news... I linked it on my pledge page as well, and I'll be amending my original post for more details about the new information.

The only thing I'm curious about is how much they'll charge for a Character Slot individually. This will be a big factor in the community's response. Generally, most players of MMOs enjoy having multiple characters - alts. Especially considering we don't know the extent of the reputation and "faking it/blocking" system (ie Can I be a notorious pirate, yet if I have the personal and ship gear use a fake ID to hang out in UEE controlled space that returns a friendly identity), some players may want to play different characters for different play styles. This new info suggests that basically "1 game key = 1 character" and that may not sit well, even with the "descendent" mechanic, for some players. However, if the cost for character Slots (for NPC or otherwise) is reasonably cheap, I expect most players to be okay with it. Perhaps some people will consider pledging for the "package" versions of certain ship offerings now, even if they're a few more dollars, so they'll be granted an extra character slot. (ie Pirate Pack LTI for 100 for just the ship, Digital Pirate LTI for 110 for a character slot too etc..).

Besides that, everything else looks great. The flexibility with being able to transfer your ships, money, character slots etc.. is fantastic!

i personally wouldnt want to spend more than 10$ for an npc i would customize, but if it was for an alt 20$ seems reasonable to me so im hoping they sell some NPC only slots.

yeah i dont really know how cheap they plan to go with a character slot because it is full access to the persistent world, you can buy a slot and give it to a friend.

they wont have any assets or a ship so the start could be a bit rough being forced to crew, and no access to SQ42 ect.

but that rough start is like getting super cheap access to the game if the price is too low.

which is why i hope there is a full character slot that has access to all that at like a premium of $20 which can be a player character or npc

and if you just want npc crew and dont ever plan to gift the slot to a friend so they can get in the game ect make those slots like 10$

you could still make an npc only be a beneficiary and when you take over that npc body it keeps your used player slot occupied and then just releases your cheaper npc slot to allow the creation of a new npc character.

Well, that was enough to get me to add a cutlass package, so I have that and the original Aurora...

Wonder if they will make an avenger package? 3 Character slots and three lifetime ships would be fun...

Here's a copy of a post from Chris Roberts, further clarifying... again, I'm really impressed.

" Just to clarify, as I think your concern is off base, the system we are proposing only increases the options that you have - I don't see how it is a cash grab or something that takes away from what most people were expecting (and what most online games give you)
Normally in a standard non subscription MMO setup you would have one character. If you want to play multiple characters simultaneously (say your scenario of an explorer / salvager or a smuggler or miner) you would have to open multiple accounts. You could of course do all these things from one character (there's no reason why you couldn't be an explorer / salvager / miner that does some smuggling on the side). Star Citizen by its design lets you be / do whoever you want to be. There are no class restrictions - you want to be a law abiding citizen and then "break bad" and become a pirate you can. This is a core tenant of the design. You should not think of Star Citizen the way you would a traditional MMO with tightly bound character classes that force you to have different characters (tank, healer, ranged etc) for different roles. Our versions of multiple classes are really the multiple ships you have in your hangar.
The solution we proposed was to address the issue of people have multiple game packages but wanting to combine all the assets under one character but not lose the value of their "game keys" (which in our in-fiction setup become Character Slots). This allows people to get a benefit from a game package they were feeling they were losing, either by gifting to a friend to join them as crew (or buy just a ship and join the game), play multiple characters from the same account (as opposed to having to open up separate accounts) or by turning the slot into a customizable character for their crew (think the tight knit crew of the Serenity)
Also to be clear when a Character Slot NPC dies, you get to create another one to take his place, much like you would create a successor in the Death of a Spaceman mechanic. If you've designated a Character Slot NPC as your Character's successor, then the Character Slot NPC becomes your player character and you can chose to have your deceased player character slot either go back into your Character Slot pool or turn him / her into a Character Slot NPC (think of it as recruiting a new team member after the death of another)
We are only offering people the ability to buy additional Character Slots as if we didn't we would get a lot of people complaining they don't want to have to buy a full package just to get an additional character or have the ability to customize an NPC. Its actually financially worse for us as previously you would need to buy a game package to get in the game or play multiple characters at once. Now we're allowing a cheaper (but more limited) option. Please remember that I want the game to only require the purchase of a base game package and after that you should be able to pay for free if you want - there is nothing outside the initial game package (which a character slot is a baby version of) that is only purchasable by money. Everything else, ships, equipment, real estate is all purchasable via UEC credits which can be earned via gameplay.
Once Star Citizen is live creating ongoing content, new functionality and running online servers costs money. As Star Citizen isn't a subscription MMO our only sources of revenue to support these ongoing costs are initial game packages, Squadron 42 sized single player stories (think Wing Commander mission packs) and the people willing to trade some money for UEC as they don't have the time or patience to earn in game. There's a lot of people out there that think I'm crazy for taking this route (as most online games have a lot of cash only game items to generate money via micro-transactions) but I'm betting that Star Citizen with its low overhead will do well enough to allow us to continue to manage and expand the universe, even if we don't bring in the money the way World of Tanks, World of Warcraft or League of Legends do. "

hmm there should be like 5 manned turrets on it. Where did you get that image?

Probably a gladiator

The wings look so fragile on that ship.

I think a cool design they could do for one ship is to give it a kind of older bi-plane type of thing going on, with multiple wings

I mean wouldn't it make sense for a space craft that is say geared toward combat to have multiple wings so you could attach more weapons to it? more area's for missles/guns/lasers, etc.

Then they could also even go older school and look at classic designs of older ships, Galleons, Manowar, etc for a look to base around a type of bombardment ship or anti-captial ship.

You can tell they went for that B1 bomber look and I think it works well from that perspective. Remember this is an early concept sketch.

So what would you say if I told you Star Citizen will be a Mantle game?

So what would you say if I told you Star Citizen will be a Mantle game?

I would say I'm largely indifferent given we don't know what Mantle will do in the real world and what affect it will have with nVidia GPU's. Currently my PC is using nVidia rather than AMD, don't really know what I'll be using in 2 years time.

Also, how would it affect development of the game given it's already DirectX via CryEngine? Would it no longer be DirectX? Would they no longer be able to use CryEngine? (those may be simple questions, I haven't really been following the whole Mantle thing).

it wont affect DX on Cryengine.

once crytek gets a Mantle compiler built into Cryengine, the game can be compiled in DX11, Mantle, xbone, ps4, X360, ps3 because the engine will have those compilers built into it.

granted we wont see them use the 360 or ps3 compilers but they are there for them to use if they wanted too.

So really, it doesn't actually matter all that much what Cloud Imperium does, it's just up to Crytek to implement a Mantle compiler in to CryEngine?

So really, it doesn't actually matter all that much what Cloud Imperium does, it's just up to Crytek to implement a Mantle compiler in to CryEngine?

Exactly, the bulk of the work is done at the engine level. Once an engine has it, all games built on that engine can take advantage and benefit from it. That's why EA had this slide up

he9xbG2.jpg

Last edited:
If Mantle is really as open as AMD is suggesting (and I have no reason to believe it won't be. AMD has made much larger leaps regarding openness than say...Nvidia, when it comes to graphics and implementation API), then this will be great. I'm looking forward to the engine supporting Mantle (as I would OpenGL) so that Star Citizen will be easily ported to Linux. DirectX is the key impediment towards most games being ported or even working well via WINE etc... and if Mantle can help to replace that, so much the better. We've already seen a shift away from DirectX as the exclusive graphics API with dev/publisher desire to roll out on mobiles, especially iOS and Android, in addition to expanded gaming on Linux and to some degree OSX, along with the PS3 and PS4. Is Mantle offers an even better opportunity (and combined with SteamOS etc) this could really mean a major advance for gaming, including Star Citizen

some one please tell me I am wrong

The more i look at this game the more i get excited, I have never been big into any space sims, Have tired a few but never more than a few hours have most of the X games (steam sale lol). but this game is really starting to get me excited do any of the space sim vets here think this game will be a flop? they seem to be trying to do a lot of stuff but can it really be done is what i am asking (hope they can)

some one please tell me I am wrong

The more i look at this game the more i get excited, I have never been big into any space sims, Have tired a few but never more than a few hours have most of the X games (steam sale lol). but this game is really starting to get me excited do any of the space sim vets here think this game will be a flop? they seem to be trying to do a lot of stuff but can it really be done is what i am asking (hope they can)

Anything can be a flop. The flight model might not feel "fun"...the economy backend and the AI might suck...the online community could become elitist a-holes...lots can make or break this game.

However, a space sim like this would have had a hard time getting the backing of a publisher, which is why I pledged to make this game possible, that and the guy behind it, Chris Roberts, is my childhood hero.

If Mantle is really as open as AMD is suggesting (and I have no reason to believe it won't be. AMD has made much larger leaps regarding openness than say...Nvidia, when it comes to graphics and implementation API), then this will be great. I'm looking forward to the engine supporting Mantle (as I would OpenGL) so that Star Citizen will be easily ported to Linux.

At the end of the day, whether it's open or not or Linux or not doesn't really phase me. I just want it to play well with whatever GPU I have at the time, be it AMD or nvidia. I've already spent more on SC than a new copy of Windows would cost me and frankly I don't care if it's open or not as long as it's well implemented on both AMD and nvidia cards, it's gonna suck balls if you buy an nvidia card 6 months before SC comes out and then end up having it play like shit compared to an AMD card.

Back