Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

gamerk2

[H]ard|Gawd
Yuo hit the nail on the head here. But I also think the money he. his wife and brother, is making out of this is a very important factor in why this will seemingly never be finished. Nobody knows what the Chairman pays himself, I am sure that people would be aghast if they ever found out.
Well, this has been Chris Roberts MO since the Wing Commander days. Without anyone to oversee him, you see the development hell he's created.

Again, none of this is shocking; I called it as far back as the original kickstarter.

N4CR

Supreme [H]ardness
Wonder when a pissed whale will manage to obtain the information about how much CR or his wife paid themselves, plus how much they put into external businesses owned by themselves. That would be the soft spot to look, but if they're smart it's very hard to find them.

Eivind68

Weaksauce
Wonder when a pissed whale will manage to obtain the information about how much CR or his wife paid themselves, plus how much they put into external businesses owned by themselves. That would be the soft spot to look, but if they're smart it's very hard to find them.
Yep, someone should really look into this. As far as I know they have registered a LOT (I think it is north of 30) of different companies that monies can move between, making tracing them extremely difficult. I'm guessing Chris, his wife and brother are on the board of every company, which I guess entitles them to be paid for their services.

Reactions: N4CR
like this

Skott

2[H]4U
In the kick starter didnt he say he put in some of his own money to get it started? Not defending him or anything but I'm thinking he got back his original investment whatever that was.

defaultluser

[H]F Junkie
In the kick starter didnt he say he put in some of his own money to get it started? Not defending him or anything but I'm thinking he got back his original investment whatever that was.

Much like every aspect of the accounting of this cluster, we have to take that On Faith (because they had to be taken to court to get any financial feedback). Did he lie, just like he lies about the current status of the game, or that lie about "we have enough money to finish the game"

I'm leaning more on the side of "lied to give people the idea he has enough faith in this business tio invest his own money, while doing no such thing."

I mean, it's not like that has ever happened before, has it?

Max:
The two cardinal rules of producing are one: Never put your own money in the show.
Leo:
And two?
Max:
[yelling] Never put your own money in the show!
Just because you tel the old ladies you're investing your own money doesn't mean you're actually going through with it.

Also, content: yet another space game is shipping before Squadron 42!

Gotta love that Titlecard pun!

Last edited:
like this
Much like every aspect of the accounting of this cluster, we have to take that On Faith (because they had to be taken to court to get any financial feedback). Did he lie, just like he lies about the current status of the game, or that lie about "we have enough money to finish the game"

I'm leaning more on the side of "lied to give people the idea he has enough faith in this business tio invest his own money, while doing no such thing."

I mean, it's not like that has ever happened before, has it?

Just because you tel the old ladies you're investing your own money doesn't mean you're actually going through with it.

Also, content: yet another space game is shipping before Squadron 42!

Gotta love that Titlecard pun!
Uooophff, nice title... small kick in the nads for Cloud Imperium Scammers.

like this

N4CR

Supreme [H]ardness
Yep, someone should really look into this. As far as I know they have registered a LOT (I think it is north of 30) of different companies that monies can move between, making tracing them extremely difficult. I'm guessing Chris, his wife and brother are on the board of every company, which I guess entitles them to be paid for their services.
Surprised they've been able to keep the 30 companies under wraps.. that surely would raise eyebrows from even the most captive fanboys.

Banyan

[H]ard|Gawd
Looks like CR had drained nearly all raised money by 2017. Just read this Forbes article on the disaster that is Chris Roberts (yeah I'm late to the SC party):

Exclusive: The Saga Of 'Star Citizen,' A Video Game That Raised $300 Million—But May Never Be Ready To Play

But most of the money is gone, and the game is still far from finished. At the end of 2017, for example, Roberts was down to just $14 million in the bank. He has since raised more money. Those 100 star systems? He has not completed a single one. So far he has two mostly finished planets, nine moons and an asteroid.
“As the money rolled in, what I consider to be some of [Roberts’] old bad habits popped up—not being super-focused,” says Mark Day, a producer on Wing Commander IV who runs a company that was contracted to do work on Star Citizen in 2013 and 2014. “It had got out of hand, in my opinion. The promises being made—call it feature creep, call it whatever it is—now we can do this, now we can do that. I was shocked.”
“There’s no two ways about it, man. Star Citizen is nuts,” says Jesse Schell, a prominent game developer and professor at Carnegie Mellon University. “This thing is unusual in about five dimensions. . . . It is very rare to be doing game development for seven years—that’s not how it works. That’s not normal at all.”
I like that he at least spent some money, however small, on cool little Star Citizen toys and posters, etc, for himself.

Last edited:

pendragon1

Fully [H]
yup i do and i remember going "where the fuck is luke?!" guess hamill knew better. did not know it was CRs baby though but its right there in the credits.
1593206360106.png

RanceJustice

Supreme [H]ardness
I never knew they made a movie.
Chris Roberts was a producer or otherwise involved in several movies. Besides Wing Commander (which of course makes sense), some of the bigger films he produced included the crime thriller "Lucky Number Slevin" and "Lord of War", both of which had well known actors and were overall received well by audiences and critics alike. I had no idea that he was involved in these (among smaller or lesser known films) until after Star Citizen, but his film industry connections are a significant reason why he chose such cinematic elements for the game such as performance capture, not to mention the various actors involved with Squadron 42.

Reactions: Skott
like this

Banyan

[H]ard|Gawd

Regarding CR's roles in films outside of the comical Wing Commander, they were more than likely pertaining to investing into the production and nothing more.

Last edited: