Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

The next step is open PTU for every backer but I have no idea when that will be. All I do in game is contribute to the Issue Council as much as I can. I have like 20 tabs open on my second screen and I spend the time recording video reproducing all the bugs reported to get them past triage if they are actual bugs.
I put a limit of 20 on myself 'cause I'm also spending time on the side planning routes/features for my guided sight seeing tours. Imagine being picked up at a planetside location by an Argo then taken out of the atmosphere to a giant asteroid in orbit where a big ass ship loaded with ground vehicles is parked waiting for us. I won't spoil what I have planned beyond that.

P.S: edited because movie spoilers

https://i.imgur.com/9KZhYXh.jpg

Last edited:
ScreenShot0406.jpg

I'm also spending time on the side planning routes/features for my guided sight seeing tours. Imagine being picked up at a planetside location by an Argo then taken out of the atmosphere to a giant asteroid in orbit where a big ass ship loaded with ground vehicles is parked waiting for us. I won't spoil what I have planned beyond that.

Sign me up!

My star citizen looks and feels just like it did for almost two years. Basically nothing has happened in two years with 2.x. When is 3.0 coming out for us regular guys?
They been trying to get it out in time for Christmas for the whole PTU but the Live release is now speculated to run a couple of weeks into January at least. That's the most recent speculation. Personally I dont think they are going to make that Christmas date. if they do it will be a serious buggy mess allowing 10s of thousands of more people in. Just my own opinion anyway.

ATV episode featuring SQ42 gameplay will be posted tomorrow.

QA is testing a PTU build right now, once that goes live it will be open to all backers. The current size of my install is 38GB for reference.

Deployed Build: 3.0.0-694271

Build in Internal QA Testing: 3.0.0-694913

Hello everyone!

QA is currently testing Star Citizen Alpha 3.0.0-694913. Should this testing go well we will deploy this build to the PTU Environment later tonight!

Also... we will also be opening tonight's build to all backers should this pass QA. This will be a very late publish (at least three hours from the time of this update) so we will keep you apprised.

ATV episode featuring SQ42 gameplay will be posted tomorrow.

QA is testing a PTU build right now, once that goes live it will be open to all backers. The current size of my install is 38GB for reference.

I just hope they are not rushing it out for the weekend. Would love to play it but dont need too many bugs. Though it seems the last update fixed quite a few.

Got interdicted by a pirate Caterpillar while on my Gemini

The killing shots
5iMBBAl.jpg

VAFUNTG.jpg

That's a lot of cargo boxes
T0dXBEN.jpg

Y hello thar mister pirate corpse
MrEREdr.jpg

More cargo
JbWVo9Z.jpg

Neatly arranged, seems like the physics didn't disperse them properly
4dVAPHu.jpg

At first I started placing them neatly on the ship's cargo grid
Q24T6pz.jpg

Realized it would take too long and just started tossing them inside lol
AZKhV93.jpg

jNjIXk1.jpg

The pile grows
nLuV9wZ.jpg

This wasn't even a tenth of the total. After this I stopped loading and went to Levski to sell 'em
Ac2cyXq.jpg

Please tell me they give you a tractor beam or some way of easily collecting that cargo. That looks like a mess compared to EVE Online where you loot wrecks in one piece.

It’s the future, gathering items in space should be easy.

If I had backed the ship with the cargo hold open I should've been able to scoop them up inside, I just didn't want to try it afraid it would despawn it. It was the first time I got interdicted while on a Gemini and wanted to make sure I left with something in my hold, the other times it happened I was on combat ships with no cargo holds.
Also this is not EVE where you are THE ship, in this game you are the player piloting the ship. There will be ships that salvage the hull separately from the actual cargo such as the Reclaimer (large scale) and the upcoming Vulture (small size entry level). These little boxes is all we have for cargo now since its the first iteration, after that there will be much larger containers which will be easier to place inside larger ships.

6lGjkWX.png

The youtube version should be uploaded later but here is the SQ42 gameplay VOD. About an hour of uninterrupted gameplay of a single mission featuring characer interaction in the Idris, dogfighter combat, setting down to a planet's surface and combat on foot all seamless.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/211732244?t=31m16s

That's cool Lorien! was it a decent amount of credits? Can you open boxes yet (figure 'no' but...)? And were the pirates stupid enough to interdict with just a Caterpillar, or did they have a wing?

That's cool Lorien! was it a decent amount of credits? Can you open boxes yet (figure 'no' but...)? And were the pirates stupid enough to interdict with just a Caterpillar, or did they have a wing?

The interdiction event was a 2 parter, first came 2 Gladius which I killed pretty quick with lucky head on shots which depleted their forward shields and then fired a missile. The Gemini's quad size 4 ballistic cannons are pretty devastating if you get clean shots at a target and its size 3 missiles pack a decent punch. Then the Caterpillar jumped in alone, the battle took a bit of time mostly because trying to "dogfight" with flying bricks is a pain and I spent a bit of time trying to keep my starboard side away from it cause they hit that side pretty hard which depleted the shields there. I got about 68k aUEC from the lot I sold

Much better looking Youtube version, the twitch stream was crushing blacks and a lot of detail was lost.

Skip to 27:00 if you just want to see the gameplay.

Plus 3.0 is going live tomorrow.

f4zklkE.png

And if that wasn't enough here's the gameplay demo with director's commentary.

Chris Roberts (Game Director), Dave Haddock (Lead Writer), and Sean Tracy (Technical Director)

Nabbed the PTU for giggles but wont have a lot of time for it. Rough FPS off and on due to server load I'm sure. Control changes are annoying as hell lol. Spent more time trying to figure out what was not where it was before. Flew and landed on Yela which was fun. Took a moment to get used to the star map, hud issues hiding the selection options didnt help :p. Similar complaint to 2.6.x everything feels zoomed in and if I change the FOV (Thank you for a slider finally) I get fisheye. Could just be the engine change. HUD on the helmet is low res so I cant really see the ship damage and shield stats properly.

Had an issue at Olisar when landing, it said it gave me a pad already but wouldn't tell me where so I got a criminal stat when landing lol. Oh well. Only flew a Gladius and walked around the Prospector as a ship I'm excited to put to use in 3.1 or 2.

I'll try to play it again and lower some settings or something. Feels like my helmet is full of water so everything has this weird fog on it. Tons of progress and a lot of good changes! I hope for UI / menu style adjustments their control scheme gets fixed up / easier to use.

Shader caches are being generated the first time you go to a new location, performance improves considerably on subsequent game sessions.

The starmap has a bit of a learning curve. A few important things to remember:

- Drag the map around holding the right mouse button
- Scrolling the mouse wheel zooms in and out
- Make use of the "go to my location" button as it helps a ton
- Dragging the left mouse button rotates the plane of the map so you can inadevertedly fuck it up, I personally avoid using it altogether.

Had an issue at Olisar when landing, it said it gave me a pad already but wouldn't tell me where so I got a criminal stat when landing lol. Oh well. Only flew a Gladius and walked around the Prospector as a ship I'm excited to put to use in 3.1 or 2.
The landing pad will be highlighted green with a green marker sticking out of it and it's only visible while you have your landing gear deployed. If you take too long to land the pad assignment is revoked and its most likely why you got crime stat. Level 1 crime stat is nothing to worry about tho, it's like a parking ticket and goes away on its own after some time.

For those that don't want to spend the time watching the latest big CIG reveal:

40 minutes of either running down corridors doing nothing or flying a space ship in a straight line doing nothing.
80 seconds of combat.
20 more minutes of running in a straight line doing nothing.

Shaping up to be a great game.

Instructions to avoid downloading the whole thing again if you had any version of the PTU previously installed.

- Run the old PTU launcher and click the Settings tab. Note the directory listed in "Library Folder" you'll need it later.
- Download the new official launcher installer: https://install.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/RSI-Setup-1.0.0.exe
- Run the installer and install it in the same base directory where the PTU launcher was installed. Uncheck the "run RSI launcher" checkbox and click finish.

If you did it right you should end up with 2 folders if you had the PTU launcher on C:\games\

C:\Games\RSI PTU launcher
C:\Games\RSI launcher

- Delete the "RSI PTU launcher" folder
- Run the new launcher and login with your regular account/password.
- Click the Settings Tab and make sure the "Library folder" is the same as you had in the PTU launcher (refer to the first step).
- Click the "Install" button, the launcher will check the files you have and will update if needed but it won't download the whole 30+GB.
- After it checks the manifest and the delta patcher updates the required files you should have a "Launch Game" button with VERSION 3.0.0-LIVE.695052 under it.

For those that don't want to spend the time watching the latest big CIG reveal:

40 minutes of either running down corridors doing nothing or flying a space ship in a straight line doing nothing.
80 seconds of combat.
20 more minutes of running in a straight line doing nothing.

Shaping up to be a great game.

It's a running simulator? Good change of pace from PUBG which is an opening door simulator. ;)

By the way, the large cargo containers are in we just don't have the grav lev pads yet to manually transport them. For now they just "magically" appear in your ship when you buy large enough quantities of a commodity and disappear when you sell 'em.

ScreenShot0454.jpg

Is there some kind of cruise speed? I can't seem to figure it out... Either snail pace of quantum. Or did afterburner replace cruise mode?

Shader caches are being generated the first time you go to a new location, performance improves considerably on subsequent game sessions.

The starmap has a bit of a learning curve. A few important things to remember:

- Drag the map around holding the right mouse button
- Scrolling the mouse wheel zooms in and out
- Make use of the "go to my location" button as it helps a ton
- Dragging the left mouse button rotates the plane of the map so you can inadevertedly fuck it up, I personally avoid using it altogether.

The landing pad will be highlighted green with a green marker sticking out of it and it's only visible while you have your landing gear deployed. If you take too long to land the pad assignment is revoked and its most likely why you got crime stat. Level 1 crime stat is nothing to worry about tho, it's like a parking ticket and goes away on its own after some time.

Yeah the map didn't take long to figure out, it was the blinding head light coming off my wrist that over powered the map and selection buttons.

For the landing it sounds like it has been in 2.2 and onward but I never so anything change on the pads when I put my gear down. Checked multiple struts and nada. No nav information on the HUD either as was previously available.

Is there some kind of cruise speed? I can't seem to figure it out... Either snail pace of quantum. Or did afterburner replace cruise mode?

Hold afterburner down and let your speed build up, then release it and dont change the direction of your ship. If you change course you'll slow down again and need to throttle back up. SCM and CRU were changed with 2.6 and while they kinda reverted a bit on the speeds they did not put the cruising selection in as it was unless I missed something. My 30 min play last night felt like 2.6's.

Arbitrage cargo running progression.

Started with a Cutlass and just a few containers
ScreenShot0463.jpg

Which turned into more
ScreenShot0466.jpg

Until I was filling up a Cutlass
ScreenShot0491.jpg

Then moved up to a Constellation
ScreenShot0473.jpg

At the end I was doing a Starfarer full of cargo, each trip nets over 175K profit.
ScreenShot0499.jpg

The cool thing is that prices aren't fixed, if someone is depleting a resource from one location the price goes up there and when you saturate a location with a resource the price they pay goes down.

Last edited:
Hold afterburner down and let your speed build up, then release it and dont change the direction of your ship. If you change course you'll slow down again and need to throttle back up. SCM and CRU were changed with 2.6 and while they kinda reverted a bit on the speeds they did not put the cruising selection in as it was unless I missed something. My 30 min play last night felt like 2.6's.
I see... Thanks.

I also don't quite seem to figure out the shopping. I bought some stuff but where do they actually go?

3.0's graphics and interface are definitely a huge improvement, but for me it is pretty unplayable on a conventional HDD (WD Raptor 10K RPM). Need to finally invest in a new SSD for more gaming storage capacity, been putting it off for a while.

Yea, I think this will require a modern rig to play at decent graphics settings. But it's cool to see something really push high end cards!

Arena Commander is running really well for me now. At max graphics 2560x1440 I can now keep my ULMB FPS at 127 steady. Loving 3.0 in that regard.

The FPS in the areas of the game you are walking around is pathetic though. Barely even using my CPU and GPU.

Jump point issue 05.12

dm.reddit.com/r/RSIsubscriber/comments/7ltzsf/jump_point_512_is_out/drp9ejx/

vjsl1i7.jpg

Back