Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

From the latest ATV, fully integrated planetary tech coming with 3.0

If you can spare 30 minutes the whole episode is well worth watching, they do an in depth feature of the technology behind it all.

Last edited:
Alrighty, I got my ship without game situation taken care of. Originally spent $140 for the ship back in 2014. A few days ago I traded in the ship for the full $140 store credit. Then, purchased the Mustang Alpha Star Citizen + Squadron 42 package for $60. From there, purchased the Mustang Alpha to F7C Hornet ship upgrade for $80. So, now I am with ship, game, Squadron 42 package for the original $140 spent back in 2014.

So far, all I've done is explore the Self Land Hangar and visited both star ports. Haven't messed with the ship as of yet. I do like what I'm seeing.

If you like this kind of stuff; check 'bugsmashers'. It's a really interesting look that both the process of repairing the code and a good look at the level of detail that they are aiming for.

Watched a couple of videos of Bugsmashers. The one I most enjoyed was the cargo placement where they were having issues placing cargo in the hold of the ship whereas placing the cargo on the ramp or on the planet worked fine.

If you like this kind of stuff; check 'bugsmashers'. It's a really interesting look that both the process of repairing the code and a good look at the level of detail that they are aiming for.

nice video, never saw before how they program a game

RSI has brought back the Tumbril. Vehicle looks cool but not $40 cool. I'm without a transport ship so I wouldn't be able to carry the vehicle anyways.

Tumbril-Buggy-Piece-07-Black-Beach-V012a.jpg

Yeah you'll need at least a Constellation if you intend to carry it around from planet to planet (or moon to moon in 3.0).

Things are about to get a bit more immersive with regards to persistence of vehicles/ships and locations. Right now it doesn't matter where you land a ship 'cause you can spawn ANY ship you own in ANY station regardless of where it actually landed last.
With 3.0 that will no longer be the case, so if you land a ship at a station then THAT station will be the only place from where you can spawn it.

Love the look of the rover, though the open cockpit looks dangerous lol. Not worth 40 and I dont have the cash for any of the other ships I want anyway.
Been holding off on playing so I can enjoy 3.0 fresh and 2.6 is meh for me. Cant wait!

With 3.0 that will no longer be the case, so if you land a ship at a station then THAT station will be the only place from where you can spawn it.

While I like that a lot I do hope there is a timeout on that or a way to wait 5 to 10 min (based on the size of the ship) and then "move" the ship to where you are. No big deal in Crusader but when the verse grows... If they talked about it already I'm a few ATV's behind right now. Just catching tidbits from Boardgamer and Noobifier.

Yeah I've no idea in what situations they will let the realism break to favor player convenience.

Remember, though, ships have ranges and that will mean something in the game. A ship like a Hornet is not going to go as far as a Freelancer.

I wish they spent more time and money on the game rather than advertising...

Jump Point issue 05.07

dm.reddit.com/r/RSIsubscriber/comments/6os1cc/jump_point_0507_jul17/

HihVNiL.jpg

Finally found someone confident enough in their piloting skills with a Starfarer to do the maneuver I do when starting my in-game guided tours. A full speed corkscrew flyby through the rings of Port Olisar along the length of the station (I had never experienced it myself as a passenger until then).

Remember, though, ships have ranges and that will mean something in the game. A ship like a Hornet is not going to go as far as a Freelancer.

Definitely, just saying it will be a pain in the ass for folks to constantly have to spend time moving their entire fleet around to enjoy a new area they discovered. I may fly my Carrack out to a new area, set it down and then want to fly my hornet, freelancer or 315 around the area to get a tour of the sites faster. But, if all of my ships have to be flown forward from the last location it could take days just to get my ships where I want them to "play" the area or our fleets will be so spread out the game play is limited.

Not saying there should not be consequences or cool downs to keep moving them around fair. You should have to "fly" somewhere either as a passenger, employee or pilot to get to a new location or to get yourself somewhere. But then having to manually move everything 100% of the time will get old real quickly.

So yeah I was looking into how situations like that will be handled.

We will be able to pay in game credits to have our ships moved to wherever we want without having to actually fly them ourselves. This is done in lore by cargo transport companies either employed by or owned by your hangar provider (That's also the reason why we went from having Basic, Business and Deluxe Hangars to brand named ones like Self Land, Aeroview, Revel & York, VFG etc).

This is also where Jump Drives come into play. Remember that there IS a difference between a Jump drive and a Quantum drive. Jump Drives let you navigate jump points between star systems while Quantum Drives only work within systems.

So there could be a situation where a player doesn't own a single ship with a Jump Drive. Does that mean he is stuck flying in a single star system? No. He can simply go to the office of his hangar provider, request his ship(s) to be moved to a new hangar anywhere he wishes, they will give him an ETA and he pays the NPCs. He then takes his actual character and takes a transport to the system he requested his ships to be delivered and by the time he gets there they will be waiting for him at a hangar in the new location.

And the entire operation I described above can also be done between players. You could pay me to transport your ships inside my Idris or anyone else with a ship large enough to house them. You could also pay multiple people with smaller cargo ships and send each ship one at a time, etc.

Got my 1080 ti finally, hopefully 3.0 will come soon.

Now I just have to figure out what cpu platform I'm going to grab, my old 2500k is bottle necking me in CPU intensive areas of several games. That 7820x is looking nice, the bump in performance on the Crysis 3 benchmarks looks really nice with the 8 and 10 cores, hopefully that boost will transfer to SC and SQ42.

Also grabbed the Oculus rift, man what a let down... granted I've only played a few hours and it's cool and all, but the visual quality is waaayyy below what I was expecting. In the end it was only around a $250 loss if I never use it, but damn I would have been pissed if I spent full price for it. Maybe once there is some support for it in Star Citizen or SQ42 I'll change my mind...

From last week's Around the Verse.

And coming tomorrow Render to Texture tech for Holographic projections in secondary viewports

Dumb little tings like the holographic texture tech and the entire re-invention of how the first person camera is used (actual instead of approximated) make me so very excited for 3.0.

Hurry up!

Dumb little tings like the holographic texture tech and the entire re-invention of how the first person camera is used (actual instead of approximated) make me so very excited for 3.0.

Hurry up!

Care to explain that? I mean, a number of games have been true first person for years now. Unless you're talking about eye orientation, but I'd imagine that is much more of a monitor limitation than software.

He means how the player's character animation rigging works in the game.

In other games the camera is unrealistic with what you'd see in real life and the character rigging is completely ridiculous with regards to stuff like aiming down a weapon's sights or climbing ladders, etc. Those games got away with all those camera hacks by complimenting them with an extra set of 3rd person animations that looked for the most part correct. Here's an info-meme someone made a while ago about it: http://i.imgur.com/PMn5nGH.jpg

In SC the first and third person animations and camera views are fully correct, a beneficial side effect of doing this is that you only need one set of animations for a character but in practice it's very hard to do because you have to spend time making sure the camera works well with every animation in both views. Very few games have done this, the Arma series being one of them and they only got it working well (without the camera clipping inside your character's neck for example) in Arma3.

Eye candy from the last few Around the Verse episodes

Secondary viewports and render to texture tech:

Mobiglas update:

Outposts:

If you notice after I said I was gonna fly the transport I changed my mind and let the guy with the red name fly the ship (Red name means they are criminals). I did it on purpose 'cause when an outlaw is flying anything around Olisar, it triggers the AI security to spawn and they open fire regardless if there are innocent people on board.

You can be a criminal and make it to Olisar by having a non criminal pilot bring you to the station as that doesn't trigger the A.I. Security to spawn. He could've also become tagged as criminal by accidentally crashing into another ship at the Station.

Jump Point issue 05.08

dm.reddit.com/r/RSIsubscriber/comments/6utxdq/jump_point_pdf_issue_0508_17th_august_cyclone_wip/
fOPFg1C.jpg

Finished watching all the gamescom livestreams and it all looks pretty damn fun in spite of the demo being purposely contained to the surface and near atmosphere of Daymar. The whole thing was playable but they disabled quantum jumping for all ships so that people don't just take off to other places/moons and they also set the server on a 15 minute forced restart to rotate people waiting in line at the booth. The line for the booth was even longer than last year, it wrapped around from both sides and it was blocking the other booths lol.

Here's some fun clips:

https://clips.twitch.tv/GlutenFreeSeductiveDelicataBigBrother

https://clips.twitch.tv/ViscousIcyGoatArgieB8

https://clips.twitch.tv/QuaintRefinedLarkDansGame

This one is pretty cool. Jumping off a Cutlass in high orbit above Daymar then the ship pilot atempts to catch him. He succeeded but the player fell out of the ship again 'cause they had the side doors open lol.

Live presentation pre-show is live now

https://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen

Last edited:
Just gonna leave this here, Idris rail gun damage from another Idris played live :cool:

v4iVnMq.jpg

Just in case this was missed or anyone hasn't seen it yet, this is enormously impressive - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/16085-Faceware-Technologies-Announcement

"
  • With Faceware’s upcoming motion sensor, you’ll be able to have all of your facial animations scanned, analyzed, and instantly streamed at 60fps right onto your character’s face within the ‘Verse. Alternatively, you can use your system’s built-in webcam (quality of the facial detection may very by model).
  • Using your microphone or other audio input device, we’ll be able to capture your voice and broadcast it from the point in 3D space where your character is located.
  • We’ve further modified the tech so that we can also utilize Faceware to track the direction and movement of your head and eyes. This will allow you to freely look around your cockpit without any additional hardware or peripherals.

Before now, players were limited to text and voice communications with each other, often through third party platforms. With Faceware and FOIP, we can now represent the full range of human emotions, all in real-time, and all within the Star Citizen ecosystem!

Our Technical Director of Content Sean Tracy has given an overview and demonstration of Faceware and FOIP technology, so come check it out now!"

That is not a new feature they've been working on the R&D and implementation since the earliest days of the project. They finally found a solution with the quality and fidelity they required and that's what we see now.

This is from back in July 2013

It's pretty uncanny how CR describes it and that's literally how we see it working during the demo presentation.

Last edited:
Back