Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

I bought the t1600 HOTAS (just the Throttle and Stick, not the peddles) a few months ago, It's pretty decent for the price to be honest. Accuracy is really great for the joystick, It uses the hall effect sensors I think Thrustmaster calls in HEART., you don't want to skimp on that either it makes a huge difference in the smoothness in Flight/Space Simulation games. Throttle feels nice as well, I got it to go along with my HOTAS Warthog setup for the throttle and the option to use the stick for my left hand or just as a spare for another computer once I upgrade my current rig. I haven't used it much but overall it's worlds better than the T-Flight HOTAS X (I have that as well, it's sitting in a box somewhere, used it for a week and chalked it up to a loss)

Jump Point issue 05.04

dm.reddit.com/r/RSIsubscriber/comments/66tga0/jump_point_0504_april_2017_thesoundandthefury/

868ZoYc.jpg

I was reading about the new Banu Defender and it's carrying a "Singe" tachyon cannon. Is this the first Tachyon particle weapon or have I been out of the loop for to long? hmm, I wonder if the name is a homage to Tachyon the Fringe from back around 2000, I loved that game Bruce Campbell voice over made that game for me.

Weapon.jpg

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15862-Banu-Defender

Anyway I think I'm going to upgrade something to the Defender, (I wish they would have kept the Minuteman name though) Looks like a cool hodgepodge of Tech from different races. Xi'an Engines, Tevaran Sheilds, Banu design and apparently the Singe is possibly a mix. The info from the sneak peak says

Banu Weaponry - Singe
This tachyon cannon, called the Singe, is a long range, high damage weapon used by the Banu Defender. Like much of the Banu technology, its real origin is unknown, but based on the fact that it differs from other Banu engineering choices, UEE historians suspect they assimilated it from some other culture.

20170405b-crop.jpg

Man I'd forgotten about that game but yeah I played the shit out of it.

Along with the Defender reveal we also have some updated concept shots of the Banu Merchantman. It is set to increase in size by a lot (think Idris size) as it happens with every ship that gets in the hands of the UK team and Disco Lando confirmed it not long ago.

B4F6Cuo.jpg

zMI9vUj.jpg

Last edited:
I was looking at that size increase, no doubt it's going to get a lot bigger, which is good, more humans to pack in the hull lol... I'm thinking that the concept is just out of wack though, my gut tells me it will come in a little under 200m, I think if it got much bigger they would have increased the price more.

Silly question probably but are rudder pedals worth having for SC? Its a space sim/game so not sure if ships take advantage of that because rudders are generally for air bound type of aircraft. I may be over thinking this whole space rudder thinking but I don't know how SC ships work. Game physics and all that.

hmm that hotas t.16000 is tempting could use my current t6.16000 as a left handed and have a hotas and dual sticks options

Silly question probably but are rudder pedals worth having for SC? Its a space sim/game so not sure if ships take advantage of that because rudders are generally for air bound type of aircraft. I may be over thinking this whole space rudder thinking but I don't know how SC ships work. Game physics and all that.

generally in SC you can't have too many input options for different axis of control

Depends on your setup, with my HOTAS Warthog, I didn't have a left and right rocker or a twist stick, it gave me a trim and 2nd engine throttle which weren't really useful in combat. So I had a pair of Saitek combat rudder peddles which added traditional rotation style rudder peddles plus each peddle would tilt providing another axis use, which i used for Roll and strafe front and back.

The t.1600m Stick and Throttle combo gives you a rocker, throttle controll, and a finger joy stick on the throttle. The stick gives you the main X and Y, plus a twist and throttle axis. So you have a total of 8 Axis to play with.

So you could setup something like this

-Stick-
x - Yaw left & right
y - Pitch up & down
z -
zr -Roll left and right

-Throttle-
x - Strafe left & right
y - Strafe up & down
z - Normal throttle controls
zr - Strafe front and back

That would use 7 of the 8 and cover just about everything. The Z on the stick is kind of out of place to use while in battle so it's not a real loss. Correct my if I'm wrong but I think you can could use 3 axis for looking around the cockpit (up,down,left,right,in,out) but I use a TrackIR for that so I'm not 100% sure it's tied to axis option yet. Other than that I can't think of anything else to use another axis for unless they add in multiple engine thrust controls.

Left stick: (Targeting, Afterbunrers, Boost (Trigger), Brakes)
Left/Right - Strafe Right/Left
Fore/Back - Strafe Up/Down
Twist - Roll

Right Stick: (Shooting (Trigger), missiles, chat, etc.)
Left/Right - Yaw
Fore/Back - Pitch
Twist - unassigned

Rudder Peddles
Push forward/back - Strafe forward/backward

All fire groups assigned to the same trigger button on keymapping (will change once I get a dual stage trigger). Also note, right hand use to be a mouse, so its a very simple set up. Dual stick is the way of the future and translates to all ships, assign one of your T16000m throttles too and you have auto pilot :D (I also use Voice Attack and TrackIR, but not all the time)

If you are considering a HOTAS you should get pedals. It is really immersive. I've got all the axis mapped between the stick, throttle's ministick and pedals, and they all get used. Sometimes you'll want to strafe up/down or left/right, maybe with the afterburner or while rolling and shooting too. SC can get hectic. All that gear can get expensive, make sure you really like the game and genre. They also work great for space games like Elite:Dangerous, House of the Dying Sun, or good old Freespace2.

So tempted to pick up a Banu MM + Defender. I know I'll at least pack up a LTI Defender (maybe melt my Sabre Comet LTI ), but I am tempted to melt a bit more so I can grab the MM + Defender combo with LTI on both of them!

Oh and with discussion of HOTAS - I just wanted to let everyone know I have a somewhat unusual item for sale - the Hori ACE-EDGE, an XInput HOTAS! Originally created for the Ace Combat 6 special edition, it is easily and immediately detected by any game that supports XInput (it shows up as an X360 wired controller).. I've used it with quite a few titles including Star Citizen where its works using the Xinput gamepad profile by default, but can also be customized further per your desires. I found it a better feeling experience than a traditional XInput gamepad within sims that have support for them, from Ace Combat, Evochron, and a ton of other series on Steam. I Not sure if its of interest to anyone, but I thought I'd mention another option in the sub-$100 HOTAS arena. You can check it out in my FS thread or PM me for more info.

Last edited:
Holy cow! I hope I don't run into some of you guys in a fight. Poor ole me will get out maneuvered and blown to smithereens in seconds. LOL

That dual stick set up RangerXML looks pretty cool. I appreciate the info and tips y'all are sharing with me. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. Just kind of researching things atm and learning what I can from forums and videos. Kudos All!

Too bad that's more like watching a slide show than a video, and none of it is textured yet. :eek:

It didn't look fully rendered in several of those and it played like someone was capping the editor as they flew through it which is more choppy then compiled data. They make several passes and it smooths out but it still felt like more of a scripted movement through the editor vs in game.

That VKB Gunfighter pro looks nice, i need to buy a house so i can make a proper sim room lol. My obutto cockpit doesnt quite cut it, but its the best i can deal with in my apartment.

Left stick: (Targeting, Afterbunrers, Boost (Trigger), Brakes)
Left/Right - Strafe Right/Left
Fore/Back - Strafe Up/Down
Twist - Roll

Right Stick: (Shooting (Trigger), missiles, chat, etc.)
Left/Right - Yaw
Fore/Back - Pitch
Twist - unassigned

Rudder Peddles
Push forward/back - Strafe forward/backward

All fire groups assigned to the same trigger button on keymapping (will change once I get a dual stage trigger). Also note, right hand use to be a mouse, so its a very simple set up. Dual stick is the way of the future and translates to all ships, assign one of your T16000m throttles too and you have auto pilot :D (I also use Voice Attack and TrackIR, but not all the time)

Just noticed the comment about Voice Attack. How is that program for gaming? Does it work for a multitude of games or is it limited? Thanks!

Multitude, you just have to take the time to set it up, like any macro. Basically the program just converts short voice commands to key strokes, so if you play a game where you can take the time to say "lower landing gear" "drop flares" "lock target" "next target" then it works fine, but if you play an FPS voice commands might be a bit to long (longer then a keystroke), but for something like an MMO, "heal group" "heal party" "debuff mob" etc.

Smokes, that is my office in my apartment :D

My Obutto cockpit pretty much takes up my 2nd Bedroom in my Apt so I can't do anything crazy like bolting stuff to the floor or walls lol... The Obutto works ok but you need a normal desk to do regular stuff on to be honest, outside of simulation style games it gets old fast. I saw some guy do a crazy cockpit surround with a projector and now my brain is set on doing something like that but I can't so I'm somewhat depressed that I don't own a house lol.

You can also get the HCS voice packs for voice attack that have macros set up for Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen (updated regularly, updates are free) and a bunch of voice responses to the commands. The voice responses are available with several voice actors including William Shatner. Fun and allows you to be lazy about creating and updating macros. :)

I actually have a couple of HCS voice packs, love 'em. Doris, Kate and Eden. Eden is my favorite, but even with lots of training, it has problems recognizing the trigger word Eden :-(

That is a really cool program. I'm going to look into that closer. Thanks for sharing! Oh and I see you have what appears to be wrist supports? Is that something separate? What are they called? Looks like a great idea.

I was getting a bad case of tennis elbow when I first started to fly dual stick because the best ergonomics is to have your stick below the elbow, but that was kinda hard to do at the time so I needed to figure out an alternative and this worked out great. They are ergonomic arm wrests, I originally just bought one, but then as soon as I felt how good one worked I picked up a second (with the 2 pack you save some cash).

https://www.amazon.com/Packs-Rotating-Extension-Elbow-Armrest/dp/B00QMMMFU8/

single pack

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QMMLLOO/

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Lol, I have the same rests. Got mine when I pinched a nerve in my wrist so I can mouse again. They do work well. I got the pair and have one at work and one at home however.

A buddy has those and says they are a pain because he has to remove them when he is not flying and with the game in the current state it actually made him less inclined to fly.

I don't think I'll have that problem, the fact you could remove them easily is a plus for me. With my cockpit it's a bigger pain since you have to readjust height and position every-time you take them off, where as this seems to be simply clamp on and off, height and position is saved. plus You can swap the throttle for a second stick without much fuss.

Quality wise it looks pretty solid, it's basically just common 80x40 aluminum T slot extrusion, a Bessey STC-IHH25 clamp, bolts, anchors with some finishing parts. The plates seem to be the only real custom work which seem solid, so it makes it fairly easy to repair in the long term even if the company closes down.

damn it! all this talk has me looking for some new options. Any of you guys tried this company yet?

https://www.monstertech.de/en/product/joystick-hotas-table-mount/

I may bite the bullet it looks like you can interchange the plates and they have them for the t1600 FCS stick and throttle plus the Warthog combo.

Nice. I don't play flight sims that often at all, but those would be great to have anyways, if I decided to actually play more SC or IL2 :) I always found the joystick sitting on my desk to be super awkward, and then holding it in my lap is a crapshoot because it's not secure.

I used to be able to glitch/jump with that acceleration and momentum vertically but CIG has been fixing all those glitches left and right. I'm happy and sad at the same time because there's less bugs but also less of these little cool glitches I used to exploit to explore things we're not supposed to explore.

Though with this latest patch they introduced a new bug, if you fall down any height while prone you are literally immortal and take no damage. That means I can survive falling to the bottom of the world mesh and explore

I was getting a bad case of tennis elbow when I first started to fly dual stick because the best ergonomics is to have your stick below the elbow, but that was kinda hard to do at the time so I needed to figure out an alternative and this worked out great. They are ergonomic arm wrests, I originally just bought one, but then as soon as I felt how good one worked I picked up a second (with the 2 pack you save some cash).

https://www.amazon.com/Packs-Rotating-Extension-Elbow-Armrest/dp/B00QMMMFU8/

single pack

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QMMLLOO/

So I bought the dual pack off of Amazon. These arm rests are pretty nifty. I'm just using one for right now (mouse hand) I figure later on when I jump into SC (waiting for 3.0) I'll use the second because I plan on trying dual stick set up. Thanks for those links!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back