Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

I've got a glaive as well. I am a bit ticked off that it is not LTI but apparently there are talks on if it they can retro LTI it....
To be honest I was not going to buy the glaive... it is just too much money for too little in return. A Super Hornet is still by far the best small ship out there (I can solo all the way to wave 18 in it) and considering
Vanguard was $250 and expected (by me) to be ridiculously powerful...Glaive at $350 ends up being like a Rolex that you hope that goes up in value someday.

I flew in it a couple times today and it seems underpowered but very maneuverable. So maneuverable that when I fly it like I fly my SH, (Pedal to the metal with 180 degree spin arounds) I am constantly in the woozy red/gray black out zone.

Yeah it is definitely a luxury item, even in the already luxury world of owning extra star citizen ships.

Which is fine.

Looks cool as hell tho, and i am sure it will get LTI retroactive.

It looks amazing, but i don't have 350 to drop on a Cylon raider.

I am Glad i bought my DXRacer ($340) on the 7th, because there is a good chance i would have a Glaive right now, but i needed a chair more than a glaive.

And then there is the SC HOTAS which i expect to be $500, too many large purchases on the horizon lol

Don't forget the Oculus Rift CV1! (or CV4 if you wait until Star Citizen is actually out to buy an Oculus ;) )

On a different note: I haven't played much Arena Commander, was kind of waiting for it to be more finished. I got back into it recently. Haven't followed anything with weapons and what not. What should I buy with REC to load out my loaner F7C in the most effective manner for Vanduul Swarm? I made it to wave 14 with the default loadout and a couple friends yesterday. I couldn't ever get the default talon missiles to lock on to anything, are they just dumb missiles that fire in a straight line?

Don't forget the Oculus Rift CV1! (or CV4 if you wait until Star Citizen is actually out to buy an Oculus ;) )

On a different note: I haven't played much Arena Commander, was kind of waiting for it to be more finished. I got back into it recently. Haven't followed anything with weapons and what not. What should I buy with REC to load out my loaner F7C in the most effective manner for Vanduul Swarm? I made it to wave 14 with the default loadout and a couple friends yesterday. I couldn't ever get the default talon missiles to lock on to anything, are they just dumb missiles that fire in a straight line?

I dont have much interest in Oculus Rift.

Plan to just use Track IR, really don't want to render the frame twice for OR and reduce the frame rate or drop the graphics quality too keep the frame rate up.

With how graphically demanding the game will be i am not planning on being able to run VR at acceptable frame rates in SC for awhile.

If i can then that would be great, but OR is not something i am going to go out and buy until i know i can run SC at 90fps constant, as well as i think OR has a pretty poor FOV.

I'm not sure how VR will work out with Star Citizen. I'm interested, but a little skeptical. I think it will be awesome for piloting a ship, buy maybe a litlte akward when getting out of the cockpit and moving around. But maybe not. If it just doesn't work out, then I have already built a DIY headtracker that I play with, and it combined with a 34" 21:9 display gives a pretty awesome experience.

I need to start saving my pennies for a beastly rig for SC/VR in general.

Speaking of saving my pennies, I'm debating picking up an unladen Retaliator. It's a pretty cool ship, but I wasn't really interested in the bomber role so being able to pick one up with out the bomber bays and LTI for 150 is pretty tempting. I might melt one of my Reliants to offset some of the cost. I was kind of wanting to get an Aquila, but with the Connie Taurus and base Tali being the same price I can't help but drawn the comparison. I'm not sure which I would like more. I'm looking for a general purpose/exploration ship, and so not sure how the Tali would do in that role. There aren't any science or exploration modules available yet, but I think they are supposed to be coming. And the Aquila gets the rover, which I thought was pretty cool...

I'm not sure how VR will work out with Star Citizen. I'm interested, but a little skeptical. I think it will be awesome for piloting a ship, buy maybe a litlte akward when getting out of the cockpit and moving around. But maybe not. If it just doesn't work out, then I have already built a DIY headtracker that I play with, and it combined with a 34" 21:9 display gives a pretty awesome experience.

I need to start saving my pennies for a beastly rig for SC/VR in general.

Speaking of saving my pennies, I'm debating picking up an unladen Retaliator. It's a pretty cool ship, but I wasn't really interested in the bomber role so being able to pick one up with out the bomber bays and LTI for 150 is pretty tempting. I might melt one of my Reliants to offset some of the cost. I was kind of wanting to get an Aquila, but with the Connie Taurus and base Tali being the same price I can't help but drawn the comparison. I'm not sure which I would like more. I'm looking for a general purpose/exploration ship, and so not sure how the Tali would do in that role. There aren't any science or exploration modules available yet, but I think they are supposed to be coming. And the Aquila gets the rover, which I thought was pretty cool...

i would melt the reliant and get the LTI Tali, you can always decide later to CCU the base tali into an Andromeda then upgrade the Andromeda to an Aquila, and then retain LTI for the Aquila.

Or you could be happy with the Retaliator and just get modules for it in game.

I melted stuff to get an LTI Tali too. That ship is amazing.

You can get the modular Tali into your hangar using the 'remove everything from your My Hangar' trick. It shows up as a full Tali with torps and all.

Another good idea: buy some of the LTI modules first with the Tali cash. Then melt them and buy the LTI Tali. That way you can unmelt the modules later if you want.

What should I buy with REC to load out my loaner F7C in the most effective manner for Vanduul Swarm? I made it to wave 14 with the default loadout and a couple friends yesterday. I couldn't ever get the default talon missiles to lock on to anything, are they just dumb missiles that fire in a straight line?

The current FOTM is the Mantis gatling cannons. It does something like 800DPS in a game where everythign else is 200 or less. Get 3. You'll also want a size 4 shield.

Last edited:

You can get the modular Tali into your hangar using the 'remove everything from your My Hangar' trick. It shows up as a full Tali with torps and all.

It seems to have a few mote glitches than the regular 'tali though. You go right through the front bay floor and the 2nd level floor if you don't jump to the side right as you go up the ladder. There is some geometry bug near the engineering console and the walls are missing in the hall to one of the back turrets. Still is one hell of a nice looking ship. I was going to try and CCU a reliant into one but now I don't have to. :)

I haven't played AC in a while either. I decided to get things running and try to get the Glaive last weekend. After spending two hours trying to get my controls setup, and ending up at square one again, I quit. I no longer have any desire the spend anymore money on the game until the interface (at least for setting up controls) no longer sucks.

I dont have much interest in Oculus Rift.

Plan to just use Track IR, really don't want to render the frame twice for OR and reduce the frame rate or drop the graphics quality too keep the frame rate up.

With how graphically demanding the game will be i am not planning on being able to run VR at acceptable frame rates in SC for awhile.

I suspect that OR will have much better FPS than a triple screen display, and therefore be not out of the question. At worst, it should run on twin 980s, but I suspect it will run on lower powered hardware. Those two tiny screens aren't that high resolution. If nothing else, they aren't anywhere near as wide as a 16:9 display.

I haven't played AC in a while either. I decided to get things running and try to get the Glaive last weekend. After spending two hours trying to get my controls setup, and ending up at square one again, I quit. I no longer have any desire the spend anymore money on the game until the interface (at least for setting up controls) no longer sucks.

I suspect that OR will have much better FPS than a triple screen display, and therefore be not out of the question. At worst, it should run on twin 980s, but I suspect it will run on lower powered hardware. Those two tiny screens aren't that high resolution. If nothing else, they aren't anywhere near as wide as a 16:9 display.

1080x1200 for each eye, running at 90Hz, and it has to render the scene twice which might be harder than just simply rendering a single 2160x1200 scene. Also it is less forgiving to drops in framerate. Could be close between that and 3x 1080p displays.

Another good idea: buy some of the LTI modules first with the Tali cash. Then melt them and buy the LTI Tali. That way you can unmelt the modules later if you want.

The current FOTM is the Mantis gatling cannons. It does something like 800DPS in a game where everythign else is 200 or less. Get 3. You'll also want a size 4 shield.

Can the regular F7C hold 3? It only has 2 Badger repeaters on it default.

So I could spend $150 on modules, melt, spend the credit on the base Tali, then later add money to my account and ask them to unmelt the modules while keeping the Tali?

So I could spend $150 on modules, melt, spend the credit on the base Tali, then later add money to my account and ask them to unmelt the modules while keeping the Tali?

Yes, you just contact CS and give the info they need and make sure you have the required credits already on your account and they will un-melt them.

i dont understand this melting and unmelting stuff some one please explain lol is that a way of saving money or something?

You can melt something to reclaim the cash value of that item in store credit, so you can buy something else without spending anymore money, if you have concierge (don't know if support does it) you can put store credit back on your account and you can unmelt the item you melted. Two major draw backs are that items bought with store credit are ungiftable and unmelted items are ungiftable. Benefits including being able to buy something rare or exclusive when it is available without spending any cash or being able to melt something with LTI if you maybe want to reclaim that item later on.

You can not melt anything that includes physical goods that have already shipped, like the Constellation model.

regarding melting and unmelting from Ben in response to a question from Nickie, she asks specifically about unmelting for ships melted for the Glaive since people were pressed for time and Ben basically answers that CS should already unmelt anything on request.

https://youtu.be/Zay7_6YlT9k?t=17m39s

Ben mentioned in Around the Verse today that Saitek is going to have open development of the SC sticks and peripherals, much like SC so they will address feedback and concerns from things like left handed or quality control.

Not sure what all that is going to entail but i look forward to see what they show.

1.1.6a seems to be LIVE, getting really uneven download rate though.

Hello and happy Thursday everyone!
We'll be bringing the service down for the 1.1.6a Publish to Live today at 2pm CDT/7pm GMT. Downtime should last about an hour.
This update does not contain new features but provides several fixes and tweaks, as well as resolving the 'corrupt' account issue.
BALANCE/TWEAKS
Gameplay
The start locations for Race Mode have been improved, such that they're closer together and more evenly spaced.
Ships
Increased the wing health of the Gladius to reduce the speed at which the ship lost thrusters due to damage.
Components
The firing spread on the Mantis GT-220 has been reduced to bring it's DPS more in line with other comparable weapons.
The rate of fire on the Wrath Plasma Cannon has been increased slightly to bring it in line with other comparable weapons.
FIXES
Gameplay
Fixed an issue with Vanduul Swarm and Race Mode in Arena Commander where players could be matched in mid-game.
Fixed an issue where the fourth player queueing for Vanduul swarm would be placed into their own instance.
Fixed an issue with Arena Commander, where the penalty for self-destruct was being applied to all subsequent normal deaths.
Fixed multiple issues causing the GIM and match making servers to crash.
Fixed an issue in the Tutorial, Chapter 6, where the AI pilot (Gilly) would sometimes not fire at enemies.
Fixed a crash issue with Broken Moon, Squadron Battle.
Fixed an issue in Arena Commander where the player helmet would shake rapidly at the lower option after respawning.
Ships
Fixed an issue where the pilot of a Merlin could spawn standing up in the cockpit when loading into a match on Broken Moon.
Fixed an issue where the Vanduul weapons on the Scythe and Glaive would not overheat.
The "War" Neutron Cannon will now overheat and be unable to be fired for several seconds.
The 'Weak' Laser Cannon will not fire until enough heat has been lost for a bolt to be fired.
Fixed an issue where the left plasma cannon on the Vanduul Glaive was facing backwards. This did not affect performance of the plasma cannon as it was purely an appearance issue.
Fixed an issue where the Drake Cutlass was taking too long to regenerate it's fuel boost. It should now correctly regenerate in ~60 seconds.
Fixed an issue where the Vanduul Glaive cockpit interior components were not loading or disappearing after entering the ship.
User Interface
Fixed an issue in all Arena Commander modes where players were not receiving a warning about the self-destruct penalty.
Environment
Fixed an issue with the Industrial Hanger where the rock walls would not load for the far left and right hangers if no ships were present.
Technical
Fixed an issue where some accounts were getting stuck on the title screen after launching the game, across multiple clients.
Thanks everyone and happy hunting! - WL

Ben mentioned in Around the Verse today that Saitek is going to have open development of the SC sticks and peripherals, much like SC so they will address feedback and concerns from things like left handed or quality control.

Not sure what all that is going to entail but i look forward to see what they show.

I hope they have a lefthanded varient since I am severely limited in the sticks I can purchase, being a lefty.

Watched Wing Commander on the INN Twitch stream tonight http://www.twitch.tv/innlive
Ben Lesnik was in Twitch chat commenting on some interesting Wing Commander things.

RU2TK50.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got back from vacation, concierge said they couldn't help me with a Glaive :( but they did tell me it should be insurable in game so I'm not to worried now as long as they don't back track again. I'm thinking about trying to trade some of my other ships/packages for it but I have a voice in the back of my head saying they will probably sell some more in the future.

I got online and played with the Super Hornet getting the handle in Vanduul swarm, after an hour I jumped into my first Spectrum Vanduul Co-op and got my Aggressor badge on the first run :) I got ripped up by that last lvl 18 run and died, respawned and a Vanduul rammed me a minute in. The other guys managed to clean up though. I was number 2 of 4 on the list, not bad for a noob cake lol

Last edited:
The Tali and modules FINALLY went away this afternoon, well after the promised sale end of Monday. It was a near thing, but I managed to successfully resist purchasing anything.

I just got a Warthog to replace my aging Cougar (anybody interested in a used Cougar? hehe). Dayum it's big, and heavy. I thought the Cougar was big and heavy. I'm impressed by it so far. Mine is smooth as glass. No sign of sticktion at all. It actually requires less force than the Cougar did.

I just have to figure out how to adapt my mounts to it. I think it will fit, though the thrust lever quadrant may be too heavy for the securing system I have now. I can fix that though.

I also need to get my pedals connected. I've got a set of Simpeds, and an old TM RCS pedal set. Unfortunately, they are both gameport. I ordered an USB adapter and will see which works better. I'll likely sell the other.

I look forward to trying it out in SC. I don't look forward to programming it.

Last edited:
Vanguard Variants going on sale on the 28th.

The struggle will be real to not pick one up.

I hope all they'll be are modules with a base Vanguard. I might pickup the various modules then, otherwise I like the base long range fighter.

I think they said on RTV that they will have upgrades, no mention of modules. My guess if they are hull changes instead of modular.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/280300

Hey everybody! Since we're a week out from the Vanguard variant release, I'm here to provide the pricing. The Vanguard Sentinel is $275 and the Vanguard Harbinger is $295. And for those interested, the standard model is now the Vanguard Warden! We'll have plenty of details to explain exactly what all that means in one week's time. Gurmukh has created a LOT of new art for this one, and even if you aren't interested in picking up a different Vanguard there should be something to enjoy.

Feel free to speculate here... or of course you can always kill that time playing Hyper Vanguard Force! :) https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14704-Hyper-Vanguard-Force

Harbinger is likely the torpedo version.

Tho for $295 seems pretty steep and i wonder what it sacrifices to not just completely out class the Warden in a dog fight, and its price is above a Full Bomber Retaliator so if it loses too much of its dog fight capability you would want to just use a tali for bombing instead.

I will be tempted to melt my Super hornet and base tali to pick up the harbinger and unmelt my super hornet later. (Super Hornet is my ccu path to my phoenix so its not too essential to have atm)

Last edited:
I have my Gladiator and have no idea what e-warfare bring to the table yet so I'm perfectly happy with my stock Vanguard Warden, which honestly is starting to sound more and more like the ship I'm going to be flying around the verse day to day.

I have my Gladiator and have no idea what e-warfare bring to the table yet so I'm perfectly happy with my stock Vanguard Warden, which honestly is starting to sound more and more like the ship I'm going to be flying around the verse day to day.

I'd likely be happy with a Warden as well, and that is likely what i also want, it really depends on what the Harbinger offers/lacks on which i would really prefer, on one hand i dont really have a torpedo bomber, but if it gives up too much of the dog fighter or heavy main weapon to get that, i would rather have the Warden than the Harbinger.

IDK the Harbinger name sounds cool I may upgrade just for that :)

Just give me a larger fixed main gun and a few torpedoes and toss some more armor on and I'll take it.

This would be the perfect class of ship to just sell a base and some modules, the latest round of concept show basically the same set up as the Cutlass on the inside, except that the stock "Warden" has a living module which can be ejected and used as a lifeboat. That way I could just pick up the modules no...you know with LTI :D

Damn you, Chris Roberts! Made it three years without spending any more money on this game, and, then you put up the Tali base with LTI, so I just had to buy. Now, the vanguard with, possibly, LTI. Must...fight...urge.

Courtesy of INN: (RtV 59 Transcript Highlights)

– Will get to see inside and out of all the variants for the Vanguard.

- Vanguard will be variants, not modules. Mostly exterior changes. Modules don’t replace variants, there will always be both from now on.

- Upgrades during the Vanguard variants sale? If you have an existing one, you can upgrade it to either of the other two. If the Vanguard variants weren’t offered with LTI, then they’ll be LTI.

- Vanguard variants are: Standard – Warden. Vanguard Sentinel, Vanguard Harbinger.

- Saw the Sentinel on Sandi’s facebook last night, saw the Warden on AtV yesterday – Sneak Peek.

– Can’t say much about the Vanguards, but Gurmukh is working on images that’ll be shared when everything’s revealed, we’ll find out more soon.

- Vanguard variants are Warden, Sentinel, and Harbinger.

– Vanguard Sentinel is the EWAR variant.

– The Sentinel is ‘very cool’ apparently.

– They’re talking about the SR-71 now.

2PiEpzG.jpg

MB died in my pc today, there goes $125 i could of spent on SC lol, luckily i planned to just temp melt some things for the Vanguard Harbinger if i decided i wanted one, but the timing seems crappy to me to have a hardware failure just days before ship sale.

It could of been worst i guess if the hardware failure was after i spent that extra cash on SC lol.

MB just wouldnt light up or do anything when hitting the power button, with either the 1200watt psu i had in it, or the spare 750watt psu i had laying around.

I am thinking when the original 750watt psu died it might of put stress on the MB about a year ago, and today it finally gave out. while that 750watt was being RMA'd i upgraded to a 1200watt and have been using that for about a year now. not to mention the MB was in my litecoin mining rig with 3x 290's blazing non stop for awhile as well until i got a new cpu for it and transitioned it into my main pc replacing my amd bulldozer rig, so it did have a stressful life. lived through some rough mining as well as a psu blow out, and kept on ticking for over another year lol.

Back