Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

Delete the whole USER folder at \StarCitizen\CitizenClient\USER. It's a quick fix for a lot of weirdness, like buying/melting ships in the hangar.

i fixed it. the launch client did not have english set as the language and causes blank screens.

I still get my loadouts for some ships randomly saved but it isn't consistent at all.

I'm hoping for a big holo-table (and likely the rest of the Hangar) revamp when the planetside/social stuff hits. It's been increasingly annoying but not game breaking for me at least. I would bet there will be a bunch of shared UI elements between the holo-table loadout selection stuff and the storefront UI that could prevent them from wanting to push it live until they can push both of them at once.

They have already said the Holo-table will be getting updated. I'm sure the hangars aren't done either.

Also, is anyone having major issues being CPU limited, regardless of the graphics settings? My 4670k is crying and i have it set at 4.2 ghz.

Also, is anyone having major issues being CPU limited, regardless of the graphics settings? My 4670k is crying and i have it set at 4.2 ghz.

Yes, it gets worse after each wave. GPU usage goes down and down. It's extremely CPU limited at the moment.

Not as far as I can tell. I could definitely be more scientific about it, but things look really good on my system so far. I'm running a Xeon W3450 (X58-based) at 3.0GHz, 12GB RAM, and a GTX 970. So my CPU is definitely the weak point there. I haven't noticed any slowdowns, stuttering, etc. I also don't play a lot yet. So far my quick AC plays have been quite smooth though. I mostly do free flights, so if it's happening in combat more, I wouldn't have noticed yet. In the few combat waves I've played, it wasn't noticeable, but I didn't play this mode for long.

Yes, it gets worse after each wave. GPU usage goes down and down. It's extremely CPU limited at the moment.

Yes, once I start getting to around Wave 7 or 8 I really start to notice it. But it seems every wave CPU usage goes up and FPS goes down. I think its probably because each wave adds more AI, the AI in this game is pretty smart in order to control all those systems, plus the physics simulation, sound simulation, damage modelling, etc all eat CPU too.

It happens on both my i5 3570k @ 4.8ghz and my AMD FX8350 @ 4.8ghz. I recently switched to the FX8350 fulltime and honestly it does feel like I get better FPS longer in the game on that processor, probably because of the 8 Cores versus 4 of the i5. The i5 is now my Steambox with the 8350 being my workstation.

I have no concrete numbers and cant really do an apples to apples test without a lot of effort, but I could if the demand was high enough.

Will this game have solo /offline mode apart from squadron 42 campaign? I'd love to enjoy the sandbox universe, test all those ships, play with possibilities. But I don't want to deal with jerk population of online gaming. I'd love to see Elite solo mode in it. But without possibility to switch to multi mode at whim. That would not be fair. I could live with not being able to use "solo gained assets" in MP mode.

I just don't like playing with a lot of other people. Even when I play MMO I do it in a small, mature guild, usual on RP server and trying to avoid all those dungeon lfg tools.

Will this game have solo /offline mode apart from squadron 42 campaign? I'd love to enjoy the sandbox universe, test all those ships, play with possibilities. But I don't want to deal with jerk population of online gaming. I'd love to see Elite solo mode in it. But without possibility to switch to multi mode at whim. That would not be fair. I could live with not being able to use "solo gained assets" in MP mode.

I just don't like playing with a lot of other people. Even when I play MMO I do it in a small, mature guild, usual on RP server and trying to avoid all those dungeon lfg tools.

there is a private server option for some time after release, but the details on what kind of server are needed to run it are unknown.

When the Cage learned about Star Citizen

MgJsB6M.gif

Not as far as I can tell. I could definitely be more scientific about it, but things look really good on my system so far. I'm running a Xeon W3450 (X58-based) at 3.0GHz, 12GB RAM, and a GTX 970. So my CPU is definitely the weak point there. I haven't noticed any slowdowns, stuttering, etc. I also don't play a lot yet. So far my quick AC plays have been quite smooth though. I mostly do free flights, so if it's happening in combat more, I wouldn't have noticed yet. In the few combat waves I've played, it wasn't noticeable, but I didn't play this mode for long.

Before I upgraded to the GTX 970 this week, I never even bothered to mess with the Swarm mode but it definitely slows down once you get into the higher waves. Free flight is smooth as silk though.

I must say though, actually playing more than just free flight, I'm super excited to see where this game goes over the coming months.

You know, I got super excited about this game roughly this time 2 years ago and dropped $375 on ships, yet I haven't even updated the game in about 6 months.

Can anybody help me get re-excited about this game? Briefly looking over the last page of replies here, it seems there are some different playable modes now? Last thing I could do was walk around my ship and do basically nothing. A nice alpha look but otherwise not very entertaining.

Also I know there was some debate on what the best controller would be. I think I read something about an XBOX controller being the best?

You know, I got super excited about this game roughly this time 2 years ago and dropped $375 on ships, yet I haven't even updated the game in about 6 months.

Can anybody help me get re-excited about this game? Briefly looking over the last page of replies here, it seems there are some different playable modes now? Last thing I could do was walk around my ship and do basically nothing. A nice alpha look but otherwise not very entertaining.

Also I know there was some debate on what the best controller would be. I think I read something about an XBOX controller being the best?

There's certainly much more to do, not to mention what you experienced when you last played, even just walking around the Hangar, may very well be completely upgraded! Case in point - some time ago, they completely redid the 3 "original" hangars and expanded them both in size and graphical appearance, at the time they added the 4th "Asteroid" / VFD Industrial hangar. Looking at the old "high end" deluxe hangar, compared to the new "Revel and York" hangar, is a huge improvement!

Furthermore, we now have Arena Commander - a "videogame within Star Citizen" itself - which is basically the Dogfighting Module Alpha. A great number of ships, including different variants, are now flyable! As of yet multi-crew ships aren't flyable (except for the Cutlass, an important first step. The next big version will support multi-crew ships like the Freelancer and Constellation classes!), but if you have many single pilot ships or their variants you can likely "fly" them now!

There are several modes for Arena Commander, both single and multiplayer! Free Flight is just as it seems - pick a ship, pick a map, and fly around. Get used to piloting, try out new things and have a great time. Dogfighting is another option, highlighted by the "Drone Sim / Spectrum Match". Play against computer controlled Vanduul, and/or other players! There are several options for how you wish to configure your match as well. Finally, there's even the new Murray Cup Racing modes - these take place on maps that replicate an in-game race track! Fly through the gates and strive for the best time, solo or against other players. THere will even be the choice of a "pure race" (ie no weapons, or a "weapons free" racing mode!

I've glossed over a lot of the little changes and more in depth options (for instance, they recently redid the cockpit UI for better play), but there has certainly been a lot of progress and there are new game modes to enjoy compared to how you describe it was when you last played.

As far a a controller, I personally feel that a HOTAS style joystick is the "best" option around (if you don't have one yet plan to buy one, I suggest waiting - CIG is going to partner with someone and sell branded Star Citizen specific joysticks!) , however an X360 pad (or any controller. XInput ones work out of the box) works very well for many players. Of course, you can still use your keyboard/mouse or a combination of them all (ie use keys for rarer functions, but put your common ones on X360 pad). Oh, for a little curiosity, google "VoiceAttack" software and check out Youtube videos with VoiceAttack and Star Citizen keywords - if you ever wanted to say "Number 1, remodulate the shields, full protection fore!" and have it actually work, this is a way to do so today. There is talk that CIG will either buy VoiceAttack, or replicate its features (and make an open SDK) integrated into Star Citizen!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask and I'm sure someone here can help you. Enjoy!

Well you encouraged me to launch the game, but it says there are 54 patches to download!?! :eek: Only problem is that it cannot load the meta file? I just forced it to get all the patches again, but I'm afraid to look at my data usage in the morning.

Before I upgraded to the GTX 970 this week, I never even bothered to mess with the Swarm mode but it definitely slows down once you get into the higher waves. Free flight is smooth as silk though.

I must say though, actually playing more than just free flight, I'm super excited to see where this game goes over the coming months.

It's definitely something I will be doing more of. I've had some other games to wrap up lately, and a lot of non-day-job-projects, but things are starting to lighten up a bit, and I see myself getting some fighting practice in now.

I've also been planning a CPU/MB/RAM upgrade for a while. However, this old Xeon and X58 have been trucking along just fine up until now, so I haven't had much incentive. I plan to watch the dust settle a little with the new chipsets, DDR4, etc. and then grab something in the next 6 months or so. I was surprised how much of a difference the 970 made. I was thinking it would be completely held back by this Xeon. I'm sure I can get more out of it when I upgrade, but I was definitely surprised by the jump I got.

You can do a few things to be fairly anti-social in the PU, some if it depends on if you're worried about however.

You will be able to set your PvP/PvE preference that will determine if you get player pirates or NPC pirates etc. assuming you avoid the full PvP parts of space. This won't prevent same side jackholes however. There will be some missions and areas that are PvP only so you can't really turn it totally off without restricting where you go.

For same side crap you will want to do mainly solo stuff and either be in low pop-systems and/or keep your comms off. A lot of this will depend on what you want to do as some activities are more solo friendly than others.

The other thing you can do is find and join mature organizations, the more the better. The reason for this is when you ARE in high pop areas they will put you in instances with people you know first and orgs are a big way they will be getting this data. So if you can find some high pop orgs (remember you can join more than one as long as they are ok with it) with mature players you chances of mostly seeing them go way up.

Anyone know much about the AMD Never settle deal. I bought a silver card on ebay just to get star citizen, it's listed on the website saying it's included, went to redeem the code, and Star citizen is the only game NOT listed to pick from. WTF ?

You aren't the only person with that problem. There is a good chance that AMD ran out of codes. Other than that, can't help you. AMD support might help you though.

Ya, there is a discussion on the Star Citizen Trader Reddit about AMD possibly running out of codes. As is known now, if you have an existing Star Citizen offer code its good to redeem until Jan 31st, but a NSF Gold or Silver code will no longer generate those codes. With that the value of the Mustang Omega has seen a slight increase in the last 24 hours with more demand to buy then sell for either ships or just Star Citizen game codes (the ones you get from the NSF Gold/Silver redeem page).

wow, that sucks. Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about trying to cash in on some last minute codes if they pop up for cheap.

I'l probably keep half of my Omega fleet as is and upgrade the rest. I wonder how many eneded up being given out during the past few months.

Well, is there a hard release date for this game yet? How about a soft release date? Oh, and before someone comes in a criticizes this question, I was playing Wing Commander before some of you were even born. :p I am interested in the final product only, I do not have the time or money to spend on a ongoing project with no release date.

The first episode of Squadron 42 is slated to come out Q4 2015. As for Star Citizen, there is no release dates and your guess is as good as mine.

Well, is there a hard release date for this game yet? How about a soft release date? Oh, and before someone comes in a criticizes this question, I was playing Wing Commander before some of you were even born. :p I am interested in the final product only, I do not have the time or money to spend on a ongoing project with no release date.

Short side of never. This thing is the epitome of feature creep and why creative/development types would bankrupt the industry. Duke Nukem Forever reborn.

Would not be surprised if they blow through all the money they raised and still aren't "done".

I, like you, am waiting on the full release as what I have seen looks great. I am not optimistic so far.

The first episode of Squadron 42 is slated to come out Q4 2015. As for Star Citizen, there is no release dates and your guess is as good as mine.

LoL

Cool, thanks for the info. :D Chris Roberts makes some great games. Hopefully, the final product will be another one.

I can't help it but every time I see Gurmukh Bhasin's name I start thinking orcs...

Cool, thanks for the info. :D Chris Roberts makes some great games. Hopefully, the final product will be another one.

while the real game wont see content until late 2015 or early 2016 for sq42 stuff and likely later for PU.

i would expect the FPS module will offer a decent experience compared to other FPS only games if not better since it will have more team aspects mechanics not usually seen in other FPS, i think the FPS module will be something worth playing just to play even if you dont really progress your PU standings it should still be fun.

i think the FPS module is supposed to get its first release in a few months from now..

If you don't own one, you can't. You can fly them once you select mustang from ship list when starting vanduul swarm for example.

It's not xbox so I doubt you'd be interested.

It's not xbox so I doubt you'd be interested.

Bullshit and what the hell do you know about me? I was probably playing PC and Amiga games well you were still in diapers. Oh well, enjoy spending hundreds for an unfinished product, I will wait until release. :D

Also, I played WC 3, WC 4 and Prophecy and loved them as well as WC Armada. You probably do not even remember what they are. :rolleyes:

Bullshit and what the hell do you know about me? I was probably playing PC and Amiga games well you were still in diapers. Oh well, enjoy spending hundreds for an unfinished product, I will wait until release. :D

Also, I played WC 3, WC 4 and Prophecy and loved them as well as WC Armada. You probably do not even remember what they are. :rolleyes:

I may be a youngin here (30), but I was playing Atari, NES.... I played WC, WC2, 3, 4, Prophecy, Armada and Privateer as well, I played the original Elite.... Im not sure what your point is here? I was raised on classic games.

ManofGod, we know nothing about you other than your one post that I've seen. Simma down na.

There have been one to many flame wars in this thread, another would not be appreciated.

I may be a youngin here (30), but I was playing Atari, NES.... I played WC, WC2, 3, 4, Prophecy, Armada and Privateer as well, I played the original Elite.... Im not sure what your point is here? I was raised on classic games.

ManofGod, we know nothing about you other than your one post that I've seen. Simma down na.

There have been one to many flame wars in this thread, another would not be appreciated.

Yeah, responding when I am dead tired and cannot think clearly is never a good idea. :D Sorry. However, I really did not appreciate the attack from that other poster I quoted and it was definitely that, an attack on me personally.

My point was I was playing PC and Amiga games before that person was out of diapers probably. I am interested though in a finished product, I do not have the time or money to waste on a unfinished product.

Yeah, responding when I am dead tired and cannot think clearly is never a good idea. :D Sorry. However, I really did not appreciate the attack from that other poster I quoted and it was definitely that, an attack on me personally.

My point was I was playing PC and Amiga games before that person was out of diapers probably. I am interested though in a finished product, I do not have the time or money to waste on a unfinished product.

And you have every right to wait to purchase the game when its done. Some people are choosing to do that, and that's perfectly understandable! I know I have personally dumped money into Star Citizen, and being able to test out ships and arena commander for me is nice and gives a point to the money I have put in so far.

I'm sorry it looks like you were attacked, but just ignore those posters.

The poster that attacked you was not a regular poster in this thread.

As for waiting, I completely agree with freaky here. For the reason why I forked over my cash. I have never followed a game from start to finish and with how open CIG is compared to any other developer out there. It's been more than a treat to watch it. Also, the aphla feels more like a beta and thats ok in my books.

Back