Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

whats sucks is if you manage to capture one of those in game you CANT insure it at all.

but people were able to buy ones with LTI on them? to me that sucks.

whats sucks is if you manage to capture one of those in game you CANT insure it at all.

but people were able to buy ones with LTI on them? to me that sucks.

They deserve it for spending all that money heh

They deserve it for spending all that money heh

then it shouldnt have been a limited time offer, its something you cant get in game which was paid for with money. if you can capture one and then insure it, it wouldnt be a big deal.

if i capture one and it gets blown up i have to find another one to capture, thats a huge advantage having LTI on it.

unless its super bad ass then I dont think its going to be a big deal. its just a perk for the people that shelled out the money.

Reposting this from the assets thread.
Vkk4XUZ.jpg

wi9hgHa.jpg

then it shouldnt have been a limited time offer, its something you cant get in game which was paid for with money. if you can capture one and then insure it, it wouldnt be a big deal.

if i capture one and it gets blown up i have to find another one to capture, thats a huge advantage having LTI on it.

LTI was a reward for funding the project. I know it sucks for people who came after the offer, but lets be real. Those same people wouldn't be playing the game if it wasn't for the crowd funding. It's not like this was a pre-order perk. It's a thank you for your money. Since ships can be insure using game currency its not that big of a deal, it just requires some routine character upkeep.

I'm seeing a ton of questions asked in this thread. If you guys watch the weekly Wingman's Hanger Episodes, and read through there news articles, you can answer virtually 90% of any question you can come up with. I would encourage players to visit their forums as well. They often look for feedback when spit balling ideas and making design decisions.

I'm seeing a ton of questions asked in this thread. If you guys watch the weekly Wingman's Hanger Episodes, and read through there news articles, you can answer virtually 90% of any question you can come up with. I would encourage players to visit their forums as well. They often look for feedback when spit balling ideas and making design decisions.

I just trust that people with more free time than me who have checked it out will respond :p I only really started following SC a couple of weeks ago, it's a bit impractical to try and go through all the news they've released previously.

I just trust that people with more free time than me who have checked it out will respond :p I only really started following SC a couple of weeks ago, it's a bit impractical to try and go through all the news they've released previously.

i just got into it last week. i have done a significant amount of watching and reading but to be honest i am completely obsessed.

IT IS WELL WORTH IT. Trust me. I have never looked at a game and had higher hopes. If this thing flops it could very well turn me off from gaming for good. I'll retire from gaming at the age of 31. When you read Death of a Spaceman for example, you get such a better grasp of the death system then you could from asking someone on the forums. Or listening to Roberts explain persistent ship wear and tear. It really makes you drool and go to bed at night saying your prayers to the gaming gods begging them to answer your prayers just this one time. I'm not exaggerating or trying to be funny. 100% truth.

IT IS WELL WORTH IT. Trust me. I have never looked at a game and had higher hopes. If this thing flops it could very well turn me off from gaming for good. I'll retire from gaming at the age of 31. When you read Death of a Spaceman for example, you get such a better grasp of the death system then you could from asking someone on the forums. Or listening to Roberts explain persistent ship wear and tear. It really makes you drool and go to bed at night saying your prayers to the gaming gods begging them to answer your prayers just this one time. I'm not exaggerating or trying to be funny. 100% truth.

Me too. I always wanted a game like this. If they pull it off....worth hoping it does. My game boner will leap off the screen like it engaged the hyper drive.

ENGAGE!!!

LTI was a reward for funding the project. I know it sucks for people who came after the offer, but lets be real. Those same people wouldn't be playing the game if it wasn't for the crowd funding. It's not like this was a pre-order perk. It's a thank you for your money. Since ships can be insure using game currency its not that big of a deal, it just requires some routine character upkeep.

im well aware of why it has it but Chris has been pretty adamant about not letting people pay money for something you cant get in game.

and you cant get a scythe with any insurance on it in game... which goes against his p2w model even if its not the best fighter in the game.

the fact that if im in a scythe that took me along time to capture. and i run across someone in a Scythe with LTI he can choose to just ram me and i lose my scythe and he only has to wait short time to be granted a new one...

i just got into it last week. i have done a significant amount of watching and reading but to be honest i am completely obsessed.

Yeah, same, I just really don't have the time to go through it all, lol.

im well aware of why it has it but Chris has been pretty adamant about not letting people pay money for something you cant get in game.

and you cant get a scythe with any insurance on it in game... which goes against his p2w model even if its not the best fighter in the game.

the fact that if im in a scythe that took me along time to capture. and i run across someone in a Scythe with LTI he can choose to just ram me and i lose my scythe and he only has to wait short time to be granted a new one...

thats just a part of crowdfunding man. they made them limited as they are extremely hard to get and you cant insure alien ships. makes sense to me as these people paid significantly in order to have a ship thats around equal or less then a hornet and was priced higher then a constellation. more power to em. i wouldnt have dropped that much money tbh.

I think its more of a case that it is an alien ship. It wouldn't surprise me if you can insure it if you are allied with the Vanduul. I have to assume Chris will hold to his word, he has on everything else, and their will be some insurance option. Very little is flushed out at the moment, I don't get worked up about anything yet. Tons of stuff is still on the white board and we are a few months away from the dog fighting module. Not the game, the module, which will be a quadruple amputee stripper trying to pole dance for us. It's gonna look pretty, but prob play like dog shit at first.

back to the topic from the page before about bringing in escape pods. the lead designer answered this question here

said:

Hi Rob
What will be the mechanic of retrieving jettisoned cargo, escape pods from space? Will basic ships come equipped to carry out this function or will additional equipment be required as an upgrade? e.g. Some form of scoop?

Would adequate space in the cargo hold be required before you could retrieve anything, even if it were an escape pod?

Regards

Brian (bmbfd)

Probably add-on parts, and not all ships will be able to load cargo in space. Of course you'd need room to be able to pick something (or someone) up.

I wonder what the base base starter ship is.

On a unrelated note who here, if they got a scythe, would use the ramming blade on escape pods?:D

If a hornet cant pick up escape pod im sure alot of bounties will be listed as dead or alive, you prob get a better reward alive. although im not sure how fun it would be for a pirate to be stuck in an escape pod until they get delivered.. not sure how that would work unless its only for npc's or if you capture the pod that player just wakes up some where instantly.

you could pick up the pod and never deliver them...

what if you just lock the guy in your cargo hold weld the door shut? and say have fun starving to death......(evil laugh).......

If a hornet cant pick up escape pod im sure alot of bounties will be listed as dead or alive, you prob get a better reward alive. although im not sure how fun it would be for a pirate to be stuck in an escape pod until they get delivered.. not sure how that would work unless its only for npc's or if you capture the pod that player just wakes up some where instantly.

you could pick up the pod and never deliver them...
i believe it was said you'ld basically pick up an npc, and the person would be back at the nearest port or something.

so i was talking about this with my coworker today and he said "so what kind of gas do they use?" and i said "none they have nuclear reactors." and he said "how do they cool the nucelear reactors?" and i didnt have an answer for him. anyone know how you cool a nuclear reactor in space?

space is cold?

hehe seriously? :p

nevermind, just read the whole conversation!

anyways straight from NASA

Yes, it would be really cold. Temperature measures the energy per "degree of freedom" (i.e. way something can move) of whatever molecules happen to be around. So, it it becomes so cold that the molecules stop all together, then this is the "absolute zero" temperature. On the Celsius Temperature Scale (i.e. water freezes at 0, and boils at 100) this takes place at -273 degrees C.

We usually use the Kelvin temperature scale, where Zero Kelvin is this "absolute zero" temperature -- or -273 degrees C. Water freezes at +273 Kelvin and water boils at +373 Kelvin.

If we put a thermometer in darkest space, with absolutely nothing around, it would first have to cool off. This might take a very very long time. Once it cooled off, it would read 2.7 Kelvin. This is because of the "3 degree microwave background radiation." No matter where you go, you cannot escape it -- it is always there.

Jonathan Keohane
for Ask an Astrophysicist

so i was talking about this with my coworker today and he said "so what kind of gas do they use?" and i said "none they have nuclear reactors." and he said "how do they cool the nucelear reactors?" and i didnt have an answer for him. anyone know how you cool a nuclear reactor in space?

they could be using cold fusion?

The problem with the space is cold argument is depending on where you are in space one side of your ship will be really cold and other other side thats in direct sunlight will be really really hot which will kinda negates the heat dissipation factor. or it seems that way to me.

so the engines in SC seem to be fusion which I assume is cold fusion, antimatter which who the fck knows how an antimatter engine works. and biofusion furnace (which seems hot) but we still have no data on how it works.

Last edited:
hehe seriously? :p

nevermind, just read the whole conversation!

anyways straight from NASA

yeah that's not how it works though. it actually is not cold in space. in order to be cold, there has to be something that is holding that "cold" aka matter. space is basically zero percent matter (i think it's like an atom every few meters or something like that, but basically zeo). the reason it's generally regarded as being cold is that there are two kinds of heat tranfer: conductive and radiative. on earth, you are always touching something to transfer heat to and from, whether it's metal, ground, or air. in space there is no conductive heat transfer because there just isn't any matter to transfer it to, which means you're left with radiative, which is a much much less efficient method. i know very little about it, but i know enough to know that you can't cool a very big fusion reactor with it unless you have gigantic radiation fins at 90 degrees to each other. and those will be redered completely useless on the side facing the sun if you're in a solar system.

they could be using cold fusion?

The problem with the space is cold argument is depending on where you are in space one side of your ship will be really cold and other other side thats in direct sunlight will be really really hot which will kinda negates the heat dissipation factor. or it seems that way to me.

so the engines in SC seem to be fusion which I assume is cold fusion, antimatter which who the fck knows how an antimatter engine works. and biofusion furnace (which seems hot) but we still have no data on how it works.

yeah i have no idea how any of those work, so i am going to assume it is one of them and produces zero heat. :) would still like to see what chairman roberts has to say about it.

um... except the ships will use gas. There's the fuel tanker ship
http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Starfarer

Things in space still radiate heat, so they can cool. That's how the Sun's heat gets to us here on Earth. You could use water to move heat and then a peltier to concentrate heat on a cooling panel which runs extremely hot and radiates the heat out in to space. Maybe there's an even more efficient way to convert heat energy to electromagnetic energy that we don't know about yet that could be used to cool things in space.

The thing in space is that there's very few particles, so convection and conduction are small, where as here on Earth those are our main methods for cooling (transferring heat to the surrounding particles which carry it elsewhere). But energy can still be converted to electromagnetic radiation and thus cool off.

Science

um... except the ships will use gas. There's the fuel tanker ship
http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Starfarer

yeah i know there's a tanker, but i thought i read a few times that there will be reactors. can anyone confirm one way or the other? or are there both?

Things in space still radiate heat, so they can cool. That's how the Sun's heat gets to us here on Earth. You could use water to move heat and then a peltier to concentrate heat on a cooling panel which runs extremely hot and radiates the heat out in to space. Maybe there's an even more efficient way to convert heat energy to electromagnetic energy that we don't know about yet that could be used to cool things in space.

The thing in space is that there's very few particles, so convection and conduction are small, where as here on Earth those are our main methods for cooling (transferring heat to the surrounding particles which carry it elsewhere). But energy can still be converted to electromagnetic radiation and thus cool off.

yeah that's what i said, it's just that radiation is a very inefficient form of energy transfer compared to conduction and convection and will not be enough to cool the massive heat loads created by a reactor big enough to power a ship without some gigantic cooling fins, which i havent seen on any ships.

UmpOi.gif

holy shit guys, it's a game. relax!

NO ITS NOT!!!!!

I assume the fuel they are talking about is for the reactors, something like hydrogen for the fusion reactor. vats of antimatter/bins of coal-like dark matter from futurama

yeah that's what i said, it's just that radiation is a very inefficient form of energy transfer compared to conduction and convection and will not be enough to cool the massive heat loads created by a reactor big enough to power a ship without some gigantic cooling fins, which i havent seen on any ships.

Says who? The amount of heat energy radiated by a body is proportional with temperature to the power of 4 and metres squared. So you can halve the area of a radiator if you increase the temperature by only 18%. If you use peltiers to concentrate the temperature in a single panel, you can radiate tons of heat. You just need a panel capable of withstanding the heat (so you can transfer it to the panel without it being damaged) and some way of transferring the heat to the panel (like a peltier).

Also we are talking about the distant future, who says by the time we figure out long range space travel for the average person we also haven't figured out how to convert heat to electromagnetic radiation more efficiently?

So by my calcs, if you had a material that you could contain at the temperature of the surface of the sun (remember this is the future :p), you could radiate 63 megawatts from a 1 square meter surface. If you could contain it at the temperature of the core of the sun, you could dissipate 3,445,000,000 TERAwatts. :p

(feel free to check my calculations, I could be using the equation wrong or typed something in to google calculator wrong).

So by my calcs, if you had a material that you could contain at the temperature of the surface of the sun (remember this is the future :p), you could radiate 63 megawatts from a 1 square meter surface. If you could contain it at the temperature of the core of the sun, you could dissipate 3,445,000,000 TERAwatts. :p

(feel free to check my calculations, I could be using the equation wrong or typed something in to google calculator wrong).

*sniffs pompously* ill get right on that.....

Back