Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

They look a bit jerky. But not too bad considering it probably isn't done. Otherwise it looks pretty good.

I haven't been able to see the live stream yet, still waiting for the full stream to be uploaded somewhere, but I'm told the Chris Roberts said that they have a large motion cap session scheduled for the FPS module, so presumably we'll have better animations by the time we can get our hands on the modules. I think building their own mo-cap studio is going to pay dividends when the game is released.

I think building their own mo-cap studio is going to pay dividends when the game is released.

Yeah it was one of the earliest stretch goals and I would argue it has already paid off. Pretty much all of the ship commercials have used it in some form.

I think it's cause he was floating around so it's hard to steady your aim although I could be wrong.

the aim point is exactly where the barrel of the gun is pointing, not the center of your screen like most FPS's

so if you have the weapon at your hip, how do you plan to hold the barrel perfectly steady? it is going to wobble and move around when you walk or even stand still while breathing.

doesn't matter if it is 0-G or normal gravity, that barrel is going to sway. and it is reflected with where the HUD predicts the bullets are going to land based on barrel position.

its one of those things you get when you dont magically have bullets come out of the center of your forehead like other fps.

the aim point is exactly where the barrel of the gun is pointing, not the center of your screen like most FPS's

so if you have the weapon at your hip, how do you plan to hold the barrel perfectly steady? it is going to wobble and move around when you walk or even stand still while breathing.

doesn't matter if it is 0-G or normal gravity, that barrel is going to sway. and it is reflected with where the HUD predicts the bullets are going to land based on barrel position.

its one of those things you get when you dont magically have bullets come out of the center of your forehead like other fps.

That's what I thought, will make it pretty damn impossible to hit any moving target when firing from the hip. Not sure how I feel about that, I guess it will definitely slow down gameplay and make it more tactical.

Also, is there a perma death aspect to the PvP FPS component? And how does that tie in with the broader space sim game?

Perma death is universal and follows the same concepts outlined in Death of a Spaceman no matter which aspect of Star Citizen you are playing.
Watch this, CR explains it all himself: http://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen/b/584096483

Some more details from CR's presentation:

nUW5RKk.png

cAf14TV.png

Last edited:
Once again, Star Citizen knocks it out of the park and hits my expectations exactly as I had hoped. It may seem like a little thing, but looking at the Core Features that Lorien has posted are amazing important to my play style. For instance, being able to see all items "on" the player and not having them pulled out of "nowhere" as well as full animations.

I can remember I fell in love with this in gaming back during the original Planetside, the first true MMOFPS. Back then, your weapons were visible holstered on you (well, most of them. This was a decade ago) and when you went to enter a vehicle or whatnot there was an animation of the cockpit canopy raising, your avatar climbing up the side ladder, sliding into the seat, closing the canopy etc... during which you could actually be attacked! Sadly, most other FPS have abandoned this kind of thing with BF/COD style "Press E, instantly pop into the cockpit or driver seat" or "tons of hidden weaponry that just swings out from nowhere". I was very sad when Planetside 2 arrived, and unlike the original, it dispensed with all the animations, visuals for holstered weapons etc... and was more like a common shooter.

For me, its just more proof that Star Citizen is on the right path. These "little things" really matter and they fact they're not going with the fastest and easiest just because they can yet adds to my confidence. I can only hope that melee weaponry will have its own useful, complex niche (ie taking a person hostage ) in the future as well.

Edit: Redeemer LTI and Herald LTI! Very nice sites for these (brochure for Redeemer, Herald has an excellent themed webpage etc). The Herald's cost seems pretty reasonable, though I have to feel a little awkward about another $250+ ship for the Redeemer; I wonder how it will stack up to the various Freelancer variants, Constellation variants, Retailator etc... as well as "fighters" like the Hornet etc

Last edited:
One thing I should note is that the FPS will also be integrated into a sort of simulation within the game universe in the same way Arena Commander is a game within the game. Notice on the bullet point list they talk about "One life per round". In the video I linked CR explains it in more detail.

Last edited:
Wow that looks boring. Is there any thing in this game that is actually exciting. They sure looks like they are taking the quantity over quality route.

Wow that looks boring. Is there any thing in this game that is actually exciting. They sure looks like they are taking the quantity over quality route.

Yeah, because it wasn't pre alpha or anything while missing 90% of the features.

I haven't been able to see the live stream yet, still waiting for the full stream to be uploaded somewhere, but I'm told the Chris Roberts said that they have a large motion cap session scheduled for the FPS module, so presumably we'll have better animations by the time we can get our hands on the modules. I think building their own mo-cap studio is going to pay dividends when the game is released.

It probably will be helpful. Might explain why the weapons showcased are closely based off of real world weapons. They are probably using airsoft guns to mo-cap with.

I posted the following on Joystiq and got a bit of a flak...

While I laud the scope and ambition of this game, I can't help but feeling that the reality will never live up to the vision.

At what point are you going to put a stake in the ground and finish/release the game vs. continuing to add stretch goals before release?

I hope the people funding this thing don't get burned.

And then...

I just want them to release something. If this is going to be a long lived title (as planned) then all the stretch stuff can be added incrementally.

Get the damn game out so people can start playing it (properly) and then start integrating the updates/new features/content.

Then in response to being called a troll:

Until there's a general release the appeal and audience is going to be limited .

The following may be seen as trolling but it's true:

In its current state the game is nothing but a glorified beta. One which you have to pay for in order to access too.

I want to see this game released, it's going to be a long lived title and all the stretch stuff can be added incrementally once there's a solid player base out there.

Is that really trolling? I can't believe people are paying out for ships and stuff (in some cases hundreds of $$$) for something that is just isolated components at the moment.

Loved the look of it, Zero G added a fear/prey kinda vibe for me, but I did notice recoil in Zero G, interesting. But beyond that, I love it ;)

AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It wont allow me to exchange my AMD pack for store credits, it shows I would get $0.00
I wanna go ahead and get my Gladius.... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I think it was because he was mostly up against the corner but I'll have to watch again to make sure. Besides, none of the animations or character movement we saw in that demo will ever go live, they'll be replaced with the ones from the mocap session being done later this year.

Great, now if I can figure out this problem with my pack.

I'd be surprised if they allow melting an AMD pack for SC credits. Probably something that needs to be brought up top the customer service team.

Great, now if I can figure out this problem with my pack.

there is no problem with the pack, they are worth $0 store credit.

because you paid $0 in the store for it.

what you will likely need to do is when the Gladius shows up in the AC as flight ready buy a 325A-Gladius cross chassis upgrade and when the amd mustang shows up in AC as flyable CCU out of the mustang into a 325a and then apply the CCU

since the Gladius is now perm. added to the store you do not need to worry about it too much since it is no longer limited.

Last edited:
Loved the look of it, Zero G added a fear/prey kinda vibe for me, but I did notice recoil in Zero G, interesting. But beyond that, I love it ;)

So why would there not be recoil in zero G? For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

I would have liked to have seen the guys being propelled backward every time they shot. But it could be argued that with the gun held in a bent arm at the hip, the arm would absorb 90% of the recoil.

Can you imagine? You bring your shotgun up to your shoulder to aim. You squeeze the trigger and fire off a blast. And you start spinning. "Where'd he go?"

So why would there not be recoil in zero G? For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

I would have liked to have seen the guys being propelled backward every time they shot. But it could be argued that with the gun held in a bent arm at the hip, the arm would absorb 90% of the recoil.

Can you imagine? You bring your shotgun up to your shoulder to aim. You squeeze the trigger and fire off a blast. And you start spinning. "Where'd he go?"

i think some realism will get sacrificed for gameplay, sure it may not be realistic to shoot a weapon in 0-G because you would likely spin all over, at least if you didn't have a jet pack.

maybe the suit/jetpack have G sensors and are designed to hold you steady when the weapon fires, the HUD tracking system does a good job of knowing the weapon barrels aim point on the fly so with the right sensors and programming when you pull the trigger the suit could be programmed to counter act the forces with minor burst of thrust.

now maybe if you have no jet pack in 0-G they could limit you too pistols or small caliber weapons or you would start to notice more of a spin effect as you use higher caliber weapons? if they chose to go more realistic with that.

i think some realism will get sacrificed for gameplay, sure it may not be realistic to shoot a weapon in 0-G because you would likely spin all over, at least if you didn't have a jet pack.
The bullet has virtually no mass compared to the shooter, so it would impart very little force even in 0-g. You could shoot a whole magazine and barely build up any velocity.

For the same reason, you wouldn't really spin. There isn't that much leverage advantage, and the math just doesn't add up for a big effect.

That's why the movie Gravity was so retarded in the physics department. A fire extinguisher would do virtually nothing to your trajectory...

The bullet has virtually no mass compared to the shooter, so it would impart very little force even in 0-g. You could shoot a whole magazine and barely build up any velocity.

For the same reason, you wouldn't really spin. There isn't that much leverage advantage, and the math just doesn't add up for a big effect.

That's why the movie Gravity was so retarded in the physics department. A fire extinguisher would do virtually nothing to your trajectory...

wait so you are telling me the scene with wall-e and the fire extinguisher was not realistic either?

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

;)

Really?

gun-recoil-double-combo.gif

Have you fired a shotgun?

Keep in mind that Force = Mass X Acceleration. Those tiny little bullets have a huge amount of acceleration imparted upon them.

i hate star citizen. just bought the redeemer and drake herald to add to all my other ships.

had a coupon code i needed to use so got $51 bucks off.

Keep in mind that Force = Mass X Acceleration. Those tiny little bullets have a huge amount of acceleration imparted upon them.

You probably mean lineal momentum.
7g bullet * 700 m/s muzzle velocity / 80kg shooter = 0.07m/s velocity of the shooter. Not much, but it will provide a noticeable spin for the shooter around the center of his mass.

wait so you are telling me the scene with wall-e and the fire extinguisher was not realistic either?

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

;)

I think he missed the part where what he was watching was called a "movie" ;)

Even the most scientifically correct movie (2001) still took massive liberties with content. A real movie based on actual full on 100 percent real and present physics would be boring and impossible to shoot. It would be boring because its not in raw space and physics without raw space in reality is .. well its impossible with our understanding of physics UNLESS we entertain ourselves with the thought of it (imagination). It was a massive effort to film Gravity. There is a documentary on it. You should watch it. But detach your critical/logical thinking self from it and enjoy it for the process on its own.

I'm really tired of seeing fellow scientists knock movies which are an industry based on make believe for a lack of real physics in representation. Its a movie. Even when a movie says "Based on a true story" its actually saying "Based on bullshit. We got inspired by events we have no capability to actually back up in a creditable form. So we made this despite the absence of critical review. Enjoy".

The one movie franchise I see scientists constantly praise is Star Trek. Star Trek uses jibbery nonsense to explain all kinds of paradoxes but that doesn't seem to bother the majority of scientists. Even conventions are held with Star Trek "physics" in mind where they are debunked so heavily that it becomes almost a running joke to hold them in the first place. Its more a choice of imagination than the actual presence of physics. If we knew how to actually create the exotic matter we needed in large amounts to traverse space at near the speed of light then we wouldn't need a movie to show us what it MIGHT be like..

Without the imagination of movies we wouldn't have some of the most theoretical pursuits that we now have being taken seriously in science. The "Warp" drive is a prime example. Its application is being studied openly by NASA. 10 years ago this would not be possible and anyone seriously considering studying the practical application of an "Albecurrie" drive would be laughed out of a funding meeting.

Back on topic. I'm very excited for the FPS version of SC.

Last edited:
The weapons in the demo looked like laser/energy weapons to me, which would mean there would be little or no recoil. They do seem to use magazines though which is kind of counter-intuitive.

The weapons in the demo looked like laser/energy weapons to me, which would mean there would be little or no recoil. They do seem to use magazines though which is kind of counter-intuitive.

some of the weapons were energy based, some were ammunition based.

Man I am gonna make a printout of the controls for this game, I was having a hard time remembering all the keys. Looks like a gamepad just isnt good enough for this game, too many keybinds.

If anybody finds or makes a tutorial video on how to shoot and aim using the new system that would be dope. The pictures helped but I tried playing last night and I still suck.. maybe I just need practice

Man I am gonna make a printout of the controls for this game, I was having a hard time remembering all the keys. Looks like a gamepad just isnt good enough for this game, too many keybinds.

If anybody finds or makes a tutorial video on how to shoot and aim using the new system that would be dope. The pictures helped but I tried playing last night and I still suck.. maybe I just need practice

You might look at using voice attack, it will cut down on having to remember a ton of keys and allow you to use whatever controller you like more easily.

Swapping out your weapons so they all have the same travel time helps a lot for learning since you only have one aim indicator to worry about. Note both the large and small laser Gatling guns have the same travel time.

I sent a message to CIG, but have received no response, I want to see if I can upgrade the ship in my Omega pack to the Gladius while keeping the pack since I cant MELT the pack....... Hopefully....

I sent a message to CIG, but have received no response, I want to see if I can upgrade the ship in my Omega pack to the Gladius while keeping the pack since I cant MELT the pack....... Hopefully....

once the mustangs are in arena commander (flight ready) and the gladius is (flight ready) there should be a CCU option to get the gladius inside the package.

You might look at using voice attack, it will cut down on having to remember a ton of keys and allow you to use whatever controller you like more easily.

Swapping out your weapons so they all have the same travel time helps a lot for learning since you only have one aim indicator to worry about. Note both the large and small laser Gatling guns have the same travel time.

yeah thats what lorien was saying.. but I just have the regular hornet.. do I have to buy more guns ?

Also... I have not entirely figured out how to operate the in game menus like the weapons thing and stuff it does not seem very intuitive.

Back