Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

I think someone mentioned this earlier but 2k is a lot for some, not so much for others.

Yes, and we've already seen someone state that that's not the case for at least some of the people spending 2k on ships, so......

I hope people aren't so dumb that they don't get it's participation, support, addiction, excitement, "in-crowd desire" for profit speculation or some other very simple and basic human experience. Only sheltered or young/inexperienced at life people couldn't grasp the concepts.

I hope some people aren't so dumb and inexperienced at life that they would be surprised that others find addiction to purchasing digital ships for a game that isn't even close to being released as a mind boggling activity.

Holy shit. 59 million dollars?

I haven't been following close at all. I pledged for some small ship ($60 or something) when the game was at around 2 million or so. Haven't really checked back since, been waiting for the game to go live. I had no idea it had reached near that amount. I honestly suspected that funding would slow way down and top out at MAX 5 million.

Good thing I'm not an investment banker, my speculations about money are always wrong.

So on AtV the 2 hangar ready ships going up Saturday..

one has never been sold before.

could be mustangs.

and one is supposedly larger maybe multi crew that makes me think Retaliator.

also Herald Sneak peak picture is going to show up at the end of AtV

Update:

Herald is Asymmetrical!

Very very very fast, but tricky to handle.

Last edited:
7191D6o.jpg

One of the Hangar ready ships Saturday will have LTI for 10 days because it has never been sold before but it will stay in the store perm. it will just not have LTI after the first 10 days.

The other will not because it had a concept sale already.

redeemer? maybe not sure what else it could be unless it is the manticore or something.

AAA ames smaller than Star Citizen have much larger budget... CIG has lots of people working for SC. It takes money to sustain that workforce. If someone thinks that you can make a game like this with three million, I have truly lost my hope for the humanity.

Elite says other wise
btw Beta 3 is great and the game is on track for release end of the year... unlike SC which will be lucky to light of day in 2016
Elite already has more playable space then all of SC has planed 2,400 systems atm with another 197.6 Billion on the way at the end of the year

Elite says other wise
btw Beta 3 is great and the game is on track for release end of the year... unlike SC which will be lucky to light of day in 2016
Elite already has more playable space then all of SC has planed 2,400 systems atm with another 197.6 Billion on the way at the end of the year

mmm elite is about 1/8th of the game SC will be. you can make that assessment from cockpit screenshots alone

Elite says other wise

can't wait to play in 400 billion generic systems.

btw Elite is not really a AAA game.

and neither is SC yet.

A Triple A game (AAA) are games that we're developed with a significantly large budget. The game generally reviews well, since the developers put a lot of emphasis in Gameplay, Presentation, Story, Graphics, and / or Online. Acceptable Audio, Pacing, Set pieces and Thrills must be available as well. That is the foundation of a Triple A game, while this next part is highly subjective among gamers. The games generally goes on to review well scoring 8+/10 and averaging a score of 88+/100 on metacritic. The game generally receive large to massive amounts of hype and gaming websites, and goes on to sale 1+ million copies.

I do not know what elites sales are but i am not sure they have reached 1million sales yet, and had a small budget ect and it is not full released yet so it can not be considered AAA.

SC has not sold 1million+ copies yet either, has not been released but its budget far surpasses Elite. and will likely continue to dwarf it as far as money available for development.

i do not know how they spend Elites money that comes in either, does it ALL go to development like SC? or does any of it go to initial backers before kickstarter was used to help push the product out.

ED is not a AAA title the same way EVE is not a AAA title, its really the community that will make the game and we are already seeing that with player groups driving events in the ED universe and thus is a big sandbox for players to fill.

SC is build with a fine toothed brush and that could mean a title that is still years from being fully completed, even post launch.

ED vs SC is a ridiculous argument, in terms of funding and development time and cycle. One is using venture capitalists, investors and crowd funding and has been in development for about 7 years and the other was started with some seed money by Chris Roberts, the rest is crowd funded and has only been in development for the past 3 years. Both games were build around different concepts, one was 100% free roam with procedural generation and the other around epic cinematic type events.

Man the Herald is one ugly ship. The bottom reminds me of those combination locks you find on luggage lol.

mmm elite is about 1/8th of the game SC will be. you can make that assessment from cockpit screenshots alone

its about 10 times the game i can do more then look at ships and play a 10 min tech demo
it will the same stuff SC will
but unlike SC there trying to get core game out first then put FPS stuff later
still tons to do

systems are generated procedurally so they are not all the same

its about 10 times the game i can do more then look at ships and play a 10 min tech demo
still tons to do

Why don't you go to the ED thread and start conversation about elite over there instead of thread crapping in the SC thread?

I'm a backer of both games, and have been playing the ED beta and it's awesome - but the 400 billion star systems in Elite: Dangerous is of no-relevance to Star Citizen. Stop shitting up this thread with that garbage.

yeah, the new patch targeting looks pretty slick

built in head tracking without tracking your head when targeting an enemy looked really nice.

Woot on-call day, I get to sleep-in in a real bed. Now to hope I don't get called in, I saw a bunch of ortho cases on the board scheduled for today and those are a pain in the ass.

It looks like there's new sorting options for the "My hangar" page. You can individually display Weapons, Stand alone ships, Full game packages, Upgrades, etc.

sNJNDWI.png

Last edited:
Any of the three ship sales this weekend going to be limited quantities, sold during 4 hour windows, or any other shenanigans that's going to require me to spam my F5 key?

still tons to do

I am sure Elite is great, and may be better than SC in some ways. But unless SC flops it certainly won't be "10 times the game". SC is a tech demo right now, yes, but it won't be at release. Every unfinished game sucks. I'd rather play a finished game than an unfinished. When both games are released, then you can compare them.

I do have to say, I dislike the HUD design and a lot of the ship designs in Elite. And with that number of star systems, most will be generic and dull. It will be more realistic in that it will take thousands upon thousands of tries to find a system with anything interesting in it, though. :p

Gladius hangar ready as well, but it was taken down quickly. They're probably saving it for the live event.

Man, you are not kidding about that, the release page is pretty dam cool.

The ass shot:
Herald-Pass05-Render04.jpg

Specs:

LENGTH 23m
BEAM 15.5m
HEIGHT 9.5m
NULL-CARGO MASS 18000 Kg
CARGO CAPACITY 0 SCU
MAX CREW 2 persons
MAX POWER PLANT 3
FACTORY POWER PLANT ACOM StarHeart III (2)
MAX ENGINE (PRIMARY THRUSTER) 2x TR3
FACTORY ENGINE Coming Soon
MANEUVERING THRUSTERS 8x TR1
FACTORY MANEUVERING THRUSTERS Drake Trireme Ina P
MAX SHIELD 3
SHIELD Gorgon AllStop (2)
CLASS-2 2x S1 Distortion Cannon, 1x S1 Laser Cannon

Authorities recommend caution regarding the unreliable source of these specifications.

Just realized I now have an Aeroview hanger now after getting the Herald.

My Omega Mustang can sit in it all by itself since thats all I gotz ;)

Dont know, need to install SC again since I got my new laptop today!

Personally I generally hate asymmetrical ships. Sooo.... Herald is not really something I'd buy.

Gladius was leaked when the store page accidently went up and the Redeemer is in the patch, so I guess we know Saturday's ships.

so whats up with the new targeting system that were getting?

It's no longer a target lead indicator, now it's a weapon lag indicator just like you have in modern fighters. If you have weapon groups with different projectile velocities you will get 2 or more lag pips. Just got done playing about 10 waves of Vanduul Swarm and it felt extremely good.

It's no longer a target lead indicator, now it's a weapon lag indicator just like you have in modern fighters. If you have weapon groups with different projectile velocities you will get 2 or more lag pips. Just got done playing about 10 waves of Vanduul Swarm and it felt extremely good.

excuse my ignorance.. what does this change as far as aiming? I shoot at the ships now instead of the square?

Just had chance to test the new patch and I must say that everything is better. They have pretty much solved all z fighting which is a great thing. Maps are much larger now too.

excuse my ignorance.. what does this change as far as aiming? I shoot at the ships now instead of the square?
In a nutshell all telemetry is now relative to your own ship, your own plane of flight, you own plane of fire and you own weapon speeds instead of the target's. Lemme get some screenshots so you can see

Ok here we go, I loaded my hornet trainer with Mantis GT-220 gatling guns, CF-117 badger repeaters and I also took the Cannard turret from my Superhornet and loaded a pair of M4As there, that's 3 pairs of weapons with different projectile velocities, the 3 different weapon lag indicators are labeled.

So what you do now is place any indicator over the target and fire that weapon, the skill now comes with maneuvering your ship so that all or as many as possible indicators line up over the target. It is incredibly satisfying when you manage to do that.

I resized the screenshot from 1920x1200:
XxjiiU2.jpg

Ok here we go, I loaded my hornet trainer with Mantis GT-220 gatling guns, CF-117 badger repeaters and I also took the Cannard turret from my Superhornet and loaded a pair of M4As there, that's 3 pairs of weapons with different projectile velocities, the 3 different weapon lag indicators are labeled.

So what you do now is place any indicator over the target and fire that weapon, the skill now comes with maneuvering your ship so that all or as many as possible indicators line up over the target. It is incredibly satisfying when you manage to do that.

I resized the screenshot from 1920x1200:
XxjiiU2.jpg

wow sounds incredibly hard though, is it hard to remember which box is for which gun.

damn... im gonna suck at this game.

looks like im cashing in my hornet and grabbing a ship for exploration or mining

Not really that hard, you can clearly see each weapon converging to it's targeting PIP. You can also simplify things by having all your weapons of the same projectile velocity. Lemme do just that, brb.

Back