Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

Bro get rid of that ghetto contraption and do this:
Center mounted: http://www.rogerdodger.net/diyflightsims/floor_unit_f321.html
rlfbx37.jpg

Regular: http://www.rogerdodger.net/diyflightsims/floor_unit.html
floor_unitF311_0001.jpg

That ghetto plumbing setting is over $200 in piping and parts. I originally wanted to make that, but then I priced it out, I think I originally came in at $280 until I asked some friends that were plumbers and carpenters and then the cheapest I got it priced down to was $180 before tax and buying (donating to) the plans from DIY.

Screw DIY, my moms always told me to never do things for myself when you can throw perfectly good money at it. :p

ZxHtUiZ.jpg

Ni3gz3b.jpg

That ghetto plumbing setting is over $200 in piping and parts. I originally wanted to make that, but then I priced it out, I think I originally came in at $280 until I asked some friends that were plumbers and carpenters and then the cheapest I got it priced down to was $180 before tax and buying (donating to) the plans from DIY.

Sounds like you are making things up. Tubing, screws and wood board are less than $55 total, you can make it an even $60 or so if you go for a nice Red Oak board but that's just splurging since it'll be covered by the throttle and joystick.

Here's the materials list from homedepot:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbrande...oard-914762/202074481?quantity=1&str_nbr=1950
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-...Screws-100-Pack-SD8X1-25/100375375?quantity=1
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Teks-10-...ng-Screws-150-Pack-21320/100138326?quantity=1
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DURA-1-in-Schedule-40-PVC-Cap-C447-010/100347518?quantity=3&str_nbr=1950
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DURA-1-i...ow-C417-010/100345015?quantity=4&str_nbr=1950
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DURA-1-in-Schedule-40-PVC-Tee-C401-010/100347502?quantity=17&str_nbr=1950
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DURA-1-i...w-C406-010/100346841?quantity=18&str_nbr=1950
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbrande...Pipe-531194/202280936?quantity=3&str_nbr=1950
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...rimer-General-Purpose-Paint-1980502/100181250

Price it out yourself using the materials list they provide: http://www.rogerdodger.net/files/F321_Materials_List_DIY_Flight_Sims.pdf

P.S: It's better if you buy a 100/150 pack of the screws because buying singles always ends up being more expensive.

Edit: Forgot to add latex primer for another $7 so less than $70 total.

Last edited:
Screw DIY, my moms always told me to never do things for myself when you can throw perfectly good money at it. :p

ZxHtUiZ.jpg

Ni3gz3b.jpg

I take it the screen is touch for the MFDs? If so, that is awesome. I know Saitek sells some MFDs for $120 or so at Frys. Too expensive for me. :p

ZxHtUiZ.jpg

Ni3gz3b.jpg

and all of that gets replaced with the Rift lol
one of the things i really like about the Rift you dont need to spend all that money on some thing like that

Those setups look awesome, but it's just depressing that the mouse is so much better for dogfights and I probably wouldn't end up using them.

and all of that gets replaced with the Rift lol
one of the things i really like about the Rift you dont need to spend all that money on some thing like that

The only thing the rift will replace is the monitor. Which accounts for ~$250 in my current setup.

As much as I want the rift to live up to the hype, I just don't see it happening any time soon. The main thing that bothers me about it is prolonged game time with it strapped to my face.The thing will need to be extremely light and comfortable, otherwise a Triple monitor or large 4K will take the place of my main monitor.

Those setups look awesome, but it's just depressing that the mouse is so much better for dogfights and I probably wouldn't end up using them.

I can't stand the mouse control to be honest, I've already slaved the aim/view to my throttle mini stick to aim the gimbaled guns and I think it's decent for now compared to the mouse aim. Plus I think once TrackIR is fully implemented it's not going to be an issue.

I think we have a winner, I will build that thing at the end of summer.

I take it the screen is touch for the MFDs? If so, that is awesome. I know Saitek sells some MFDs for $120 or so at Frys. Too expensive for me. :p

Nope, it's just an 8 year old 19" LCD I put slapped some Thrustmaster Cougar MFD's on. It works great for DCS-A10 though. It's pretty cool but it require the game to be played in windowed mode so you have to disable SLI/Crossfire which sucks. It is nice to see things that can be done with proper support though.

They do have some cool options for a touchscreens, better than what I use already but until you can run SLI or Crossfire I'm not going to spend money on it. Plus PC upgrades are on hold until Star Citizen is finished, the longer it takes to go gold the more money I will have to spend lol...

I screwed around with DIY stuff in the late 90's and again recently when I was trying to figure out what to do with my big ass HOTAS Warthog. I could never get them to be very solid though, they where always just a bit to wobbly for my taste. After waiting 10 years for some decent flight sims and space sims I just said fuck it and bought the obutto. I figure in another 10-15 years I'll either be married, poor and/or dead or a combination of them so I'll get away with this right now while I have a some spare cash lol. Gods knows they money I've spent on even dumber things...

That said I never tried the rogerdoger plans, so I can't say anything about that one.

I screwed around with DIY stuff in the late 90's and again recently when I was trying to figure out what to do with my big ass HOTAS Warthog. I could never get them to be very solid though, they where always just a bit to wobbly for my taste. After waiting 10 years for some decent flight sims and space sims I just said fuck it and bought the obutto. I figure in another 10-15 years I'll either be married, poor and/or dead or a combination of them so I'll get away with this right now while I have a some spare cash lol. Gods knows they money I've spent on even dumber things...

That said I never tried the rogerdoger plans, so I can't say anything about that one.

i would buy an obutto, the issue is space. I have a medium space office which has a Herman Miller Envelop, an 64inch IKEA Galant, 2 ergo chairs, a desktop computer, 3 laptops and 4 monitors, proto boards, radios, soldering irons... and uncountable amount of wires. Not sure where I would put it unless I buy a house and dedicate another room to my work/hobbies :)

I'm in the process of building a right side stand for my Warthog. I'm using a 4" pvc drain tube. I'm not a big fan of the center mounts because to do it right you need to mod the stick as well and add a 15 degree offset. If you don't you may have wrist issues with prolonged use.

Still need to figure a solution for my throttle.

I think we have a winner, I will build that thing at the end of summer.

I would do a group buy of the video and share it among people interested but those guys actually deserve the money for putting that together.

I would do a group buy of the video and share it among people interested but those guys actually deserve the money for putting that together.

On a different note, are you on a GTX780 SLI? I am on a GTX680 SLI and also have a GTX780, can't decide between keeping the GTX680 SLI and wait for the 800 series, or sell the 680's and throw in a second 780 for now.

I must get 120hz @1440p at medium or above settings in SC.

Why screws instead of cement? I guess it would help with breaking it down to store it when not in use, but you would only need screws in key places really.

I'm not going to lie.... Having just started watching Battlestar Galactica and on Season 3 reaaalllllyyyyyy is making me see the light of getting into Star Citizen.

^^ Resistance is futile.

Some more pics of the Constellation LX. Commercial and variants should be out next month.

iy229w.jpg

2wmgax3.jpg

o9hij9.jpg

Sweeet, my card came in today!

Nice! My card is stuck in Canada for some reason :/

July monthly report: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13993-Monthly-Report-June-2014

We’ve had another round of feedback on the “Idris” Frigate interior, just tidying up some minor points before the full PBR texture pass. We needed to add a few more escape pods to cater for the increased crew capacity, and make a bit more sense of the docking systems. You should now be able to drop your Constellation, Retaliator, etc. neatly on the top of the Idris and disembark through the docking collar with some dignity. We are really looking forward to seeing this “Hangar” ready soon.
:cool:

Also preview of the upgraded/redesigned deluxe hangar

6MvCRfF.jpg

Nice! I always wondered if you would have to have 90 degree docking (or some strange angle) on the mid size ships. It would make sense, depending of the backstory of the universe, but I believe they have said that there would be artificial gravity. That makes docking orientation a little more important!

They really need to do something about the crytek engine or optimization or whatever. I just doubled up on the GTX 780's running though an overclocked 4770k and I can't get the frame rates to go above 40-50 fps @1920x1080 very low.

You know how people were like, ohh just because you have a lot of money, does not mean you can get your project on your way any faster because more programmers does not mean faster development necessarily so it is ok for a game with 50million dollars to still be behind schedule.... Well on top of the fact that that is a wrong statement, even if it was true , in this case you could hire bunch of software systems, verification and optimization engineers to work in parallel with the design team so all these graphics and effects and everything at least work at a decent frame rate on multi thousand dollar gaming rigs and not give me epilepsy every time I do not limit the frame rates to my lowest possible fps.

Honestly I'm surprised it runs this well at all for being so far in early alpha.
There's not much point in optimization when entire systems may be overhauled (i.e. time spent optimizing the lighting / shader paths would be wasted when they swap it out for a different technique).

Honestly I'm surprised it runs this well at all for being so far in early alpha.
There's not much point in optimization when entire systems may be overhauled (i.e. time spent optimizing the lighting / shader paths would be wasted when they swap it out for a different technique).

ok that is fair, but at least get rid of the damn SLI artifacts!!!! that has to be done no matter how many times you are planning on changing your shades and stuff

ok that is fair, but at least get rid of the damn SLI artifacts!!!! that has to be done no matter how many times you are planning on changing your shades and stuff

Has to be done...but geez...you never know where they're coming from. Besides that they even have a pre-game game out that doesn't crash 90% of the time is pretty damn impressive. NVM artifacts.

Yeah they added a big chunk of new invites. People beyond citizen id# 50k are reporting getting theirs.

Just spent a few minutes playing around in the console
Vsync on without framerate cap = artifacts
Vsync off + capping framerate = no artifacts

I left it capped at 70 which still has very minimal artifacts in the Hangar (I have to pan the camera really fast to see any) but none in Arena Commander.

Also patch 12.4 released: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//13995-Star-Citizen-Patch-124

Fixes
Players able to connect to Broken Moon
Performance improvements when targeting enemies in single player
Chainguns firing sounds and animations no longer cut out
Matchmaking and server stability improved:
Reduced rotational and positional errors of players in multiplayer
Resolved issue with players returning to hangar in the middle of matches
Bandwidth optimization improvements – a case where less is more
Session token authorization added
Improved sync between instance manager and matchmaker
Improved matchmaking queue functionality
Here are some of the crash fixes:
Attempting to zone into a multiplayer match is fixed
Choosing “Return to Hangar” is crushed
During multiplayer matches – stability FTW
No longer crashes when round ends
After running out of map border – you die, but you don’t crash [Well your ship crashes, and explodes, but the game doesn’t crash or explode – Ed.]
You can now alt-tab on the loading screen, without crashing
Sounds no longer stutter on missile lock sounds
Freelancer model no longer flickering
Missing textures on the calendar are found
Animation issues:
Reintroduced y-bobbing on character movement
Cleaned up freelancer bed animation
Source file corruption issues are improved
Metafile launcher errors are improved

Balancing
Balanced ballistic weapons ammo – no longer unlimited

Additional Features
Shield indicators added to ship model on HUD
Added Control Mapping for the G940 HOTAS
Improved weapon fire sounds that have more guts and punch
The whoosh of other ships flying close by you
The whizz of other players’ ordnance as they fire at you
New explosions
Improved sound mix

Known Issues
300i right landing gear offset from ship
Firing range no longer aims after entering a second time
Higher latency connections can experience the following issues (after initial spawn or respawn):
IFCS issues causing the ship to fly erratically or very slowly
Character standing in the cockpit or offset from the seat and controls – restart client to reset
Character experiencing an extreme head shake – restart client to reset
Matchmaking can show stuck in queue and may require another attempt
Can get kicked back to hangar on connection attempt
Sometimes the helmet turns invisible when you pick it up
We’re continuing our work with AMD, NVidia & Crytek to try and resolve the Crossfire/SLI issues and improve multiple GPU performance

Yup, so far the fact they are treating this like a true alpha with constant positive improvements gives me lots of hope for this game. Ever since they took out that gay target arrow and made you use the radar I've been very happy with the combat so hopefully they keep in the direction of a nice Sim that's not overly complicated but doesn't pander to the carebares, really hope the arrow doesn't come back

So I'm getting close to comfortable unloading some of my extra ships (I pledged um... a lot when we were still trying to hit stretch goals). Is Reddit still the place for that? I honestly haven't looked into it at all. Is there any way to keep from getting burned on a cash (read paypal/amazon) deal? I was going to do the credits thing but I have no idea what I'd do with that many credits (or if I can even have that many).

Back