Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

the cheapest pledge to get the full game and alpha / beta access is $40. from the main page, click on the giant "learn more" button and select the digital mercenary. or, for $45 you can go here and get the advanced starter pack. it comes with a better equipped aurora (lx variant; standard is marque), but doesn't include the 1,000 starting credits.

if you're just interested in the online universe part of the game, and not the wing-commander style squadron 42 part of the game, you can get the starter pack for $35 (which includes alpha / beta access). frankly i don't think it's a good move, as the squadron 42 campaign is going to kick ass lol. but hey, some people don't like single player games...

I do. The single player is what I want first and foremost. So $40 huh? Ok.

the cheapest pledge to get the full game and alpha / beta access is $40. from the main page, click on the giant "learn more" button and select the digital mercenary. or, for $45 you can go here and get the advanced starter pack. it comes with a better equipped aurora (lx variant; standard is marque), but doesn't include the 1,000 starting credits.

if you're just interested in the online universe part of the game, and not the wing-commander style squadron 42 part of the game, you can get the starter pack for $35 (which includes alpha / beta access). frankly i don't think it's a good move, as the squadron 42 campaign is going to kick ass lol. but hey, some people don't like single player games...

People who were early adopters at the Scout ($30) level still get the full game, right? Including Squadron 42?

I do. The single player is what I want first and foremost. So $40 huh? Ok.

Just keep in mind that the only true single player portion of the game is the tutorial campaign, the "Squadron 42" campaign. I don't know for sure on the length, but it doesn't sound particularly long. On the other hand, from what I understand, you will still be able to setup a private locked server for yourself, and friends if you wish. I just hope the game world wouldn't feel too empty if you wanted to just play with yourself or a few friends.

Just keep in mind that the only true single player portion of the game is the tutorial campaign, the "Squadron 42" campaign. I don't know for sure on the length, but it doesn't sound particularly long.

Um...it's going to be 50+ missions...

Well it was originally less missions but as the funding goals were reached it expanded significantly. I don't think it was ever meant to be just a tutorial, though.

Am I the only one that'd like to see it have FMV's back in it? Would be awesome to see Mark Hamill in the game or something.

Am I the only one that'd like to see it have FMV's back in it? Would be awesome to see Mark Hamill in the game or something.

To save costs they should just troll internet forums and hire nerds to play the actors.

According to the funding goals they plan on using celebrity voice actors. Personally I don't care for celebrities are long as they sound good. Bad VA's + Bad Dialogue can really kill the story. Mark Hamill is an accomplished VA but I think with the new Star Wars movies coming out in the next few years he might be busy.

To save costs they should just troll internet forums and hire nerds to play the actors.

I can see it now; a squadron full of neckbeard Jek Porkins that can barely fit into the cockpit.

479px-Porkins.jpg

People who were early adopters at the Scout ($30) level still get the full game, right? Including Squadron 42?
yeah, of course. the $40 is for new backers; the price went up after the first batch of $30 tiers sold out, and then again after the main funding campaign ended.

Random small update, just got my Citizen card a couple days ago. Looks good!

no, they were only for people who backed no later than february 15th and chose to get one.

I still need to get my stuff :(. I got the $60 pre-order and I should be getting a Green Citizen card and a Squadron 42 t-shirt.

I would contact them and ask whats up. They seem to be pretty good at sorting that stuff out.

Well, I only got the white card, maybe those got sent out first or something.

The more I see about this game, the more I think it will likely be the first thing I end up crowd funding. I really just don't like the idea of paying for a game that I won't actually get for a year...

Last edited:
The more I see about this game, the more I think it will likely be the first thing I end up crowd funding. I really just don't like the idea of paying for a game that I won't actually get for a year...

It was my first and only crowd fund. I feel the same way and i'm still uneasy about it. If it turns out better than Daikatana I'll be ok.

Natural Selection 2 was the only other game I was a super early supporter of, and even though I was a little disappointed by NS2 I still considering it to be money well spent. I'm sure my money will feel well spent on this as well, but obviously my hopes are high that I won't be disappointed. I just can't believe how much money I dropped on it without a second thought.

$25 for a ship? Glad I did not kickstart this. I am not into buying lots of small DLC.

Every time this thread gets bumped, I excitedly hope to see more in-game footage. Every time I've been disappointed.

$25 for a ship? Glad I did not kickstart this. I am not into buying lots of small DLC.
i'm not sure what to make of this. the idris corvette cost $1,000 and was limited to 100 ships, and sold out in a few hours. i think my point is $30 to get the full game, and access to the alpha and beta is a pretty damn good deal (if you got it in time; it costs at least $35 now). the longer you wait to back, the more it will cost and fewer perks you'll get. beyond getting a package that includes the game, anything else is entirely optional. you can buy everything with in-game credits (beyond S42 mission expansions). if the game looks at all worthwhile, back it before the 28th next week when the new website goes live. by then, not only will it cost more, but you won't have nice perks like lifetime ship insurance.

Every time this thread gets bumped, I excitedly hope to see more in-game footage. Every time I've been disappointed.
there was this extended look at the hangar module and this look at the interior of the 300i. you'll see more of that tomorrow when they post the 300i brochure, and more in-game footage the friday after (28th) during the 24-hour live-stream event.

We're expecting them to run the same promotion tomorrow for the Origin 300i ship, where there will be a brochure along with a special package to purchase the game and/or ship, likely with a special variant. If you go and look at the original Aurora brochure, you'll see the "pattern". Keep in mind that the Aurora is the basic "Rusty Sword/Tattered Leather Armor" tier ship around, which is pretty bloody amazing that it is so detailed, has a living area etc... If you didn't see the promo for Aurora, check it out here - http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/the-aurora-revealed/ We expect the Origin 300i promo to have similar options, such as a "Game + Ship, with special bonus like Lifetime Insurance on said ship", and "Special Version of Ship" along with "Special Version of Ship Upgrade for like $5 for those who already own Ship" etc...

If you've not yet purchased Star Citizen and are interested, I HIGHLY suggest you consider the doing so and looking at the Origin promotions. It is likely that the Origin promotion will be the last one on the "old website" which means that Lifetime Insurance on the ship will no longer be available (Except for those of us who bought our packages prior to Nov 27th 2012, who will be granted lifetime insurance on any ship they purchase for real money prior to launch as an "upgrade" on their crowdfunding package. There's another post that talks about this).

A note on the whole "pay to win" thing. Those that know my posts realize I'm probably one of the most vehment critics of DRM, microtransactions, pay-to-win, and anything that is designed to leech money from the player in an untoward manner. From all that has been revealed about Star Citizen, this is not going to be the case. The game is "Buy To Play"; you'll need a copy of the game itself. Most of these promotions include it, along with a couple of bonuses like Lifetime Insurance (or Insurance on a ship included for a given time. Depending on when/what you purchased, this may be 1, 3, 6, or 12 months). Insurance means that you'll be reimbursed for the cost of your ship's hull (ie not cargo, that's separate insurance) if it gets destroyed/damaged, in game credits. If you don't have one of the insurance promos, you need to pay for insurance with in-game credits or else pay the full price when your ship gets blown up. This is not a real money transaction.

All the ships included in the special promos and the website packages etc... are available in-game for in-game money. Even the Idris Corvette capital ship that was sold for a period of days, for $1000, during the end of crowdfunding. The difference is that it may take you a huge amount of in-game time/money to acquire a capital ship as one would expect of a vessel that can handle a crew of 2 or 3 digits plus its own fighter wings (think of EVE's largest ships, only rarely used and owned by the biggest of guilds). The guy who paid $1000 just has one sitting in his garage when it logs in for the first time (now, if he has anyone to crew it is a different story..), and he doesn't have to pay for an insurance policy when it is destroyed. Same for any of the other ships out there.

Backing Star Citizen gives you a good deal, and I suggest doing it ASAP.

Finally got my green Bounty Hunter's ID card! :)

I received mine last weekend as well... looked at the envelope and it has some crazy China postage and declarations... freaked me out at first as if I was a vic of ID theft.

Still never know... now that they farmed out our addresses to china for these cards, haha... :eek::eek::eek:

lol Pretty much anything you buy is made in China, one of the main , if not THE main importers to the US.

I got my card a few weeks ago and was happy with it. Might not be the super snazzy metallic version of the cards but it still looks good and I'm glad I got it.

Put it up near my Banner saga autographed poster. So far the only two things I've gotten from the 20+ kickstarters I've backed to date lol.

I just got my pledge attached to my account. :D their customer support was very quick and professional.

Every time I see a new update or video for this game, "Afternoon Delight" starts playing in my head.

Well I pledged!

I actually didn't really research much of the game until today. I heard about how awesome it was going to be, but I thought I could wait until release...nope. I upgraded to the 315P and I am not going to lie, the adverts are nicely done :cool:

Back