Star Citizen Has Made Over $200,000,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
2020 or so some other dev company will develop a new , advanced engine and they will "make the decision it's worth it to switch to it , but it won't set it back much and be worth it"

And more excuses and praise will follow.

This is the current state of the software market, and the fault is in Linux. The Linux mentality for the majority of software is continual "release" of alpha code without a decent installer, and adding more and more features while never fixing bugs. Most Linux software I've had to deal with, from Salt to Graylog to ElasticSearch to WINE, is like this. Few in the Linux market actually finish anything, or even make it operational for most users. Bug after bug is reported, but the developers ignore them in favor of adding "new features" that just makes things worse. Non-commercial software groups lack the direction and financial motivation to actually finish. People keep handing them money, because it is non-commercial and it makes them feel good because it isn't what they see as capitalism, and they keep putting out unfinished crap.

Mwhahaha What ?

What the F does that have to do with Con Roberts game developing. Dude was ripping people off before Linux was even a glint in Linus' eye. Also SC is a windows game... not sure what Linux has has to do with a shady windows game development company.

This game is a scam >.< Brought to the gaming world by one of its longest running huckster developers. Its too bad the Germans where unable to lock the bastard up when they rolled up his movie "investor" buddies... it seems it would have saved a bunch of geeks a couple hundred million bucks at the least.

Also not that its on the topic at all... but if you don't understand that almost everything you do is powered by Linux and FOSS software at this point I feel sorry for you.

o_O Did I drink too much... sleep too long.... and wake up in 2020? o_O

I understand it's been awhile since I was in school...
I also understand Math today has somehow changed....

BUT is this NEW MATH 2018-2012 = 8? or .... 2018 - 2012 = 6....

lol I noticed that too. Somehow it seems trendy to tack on multiple extra years to the SC timeline. It's our embellishment society. The KS ended this time 2012; it has been 6 years. Some "regular" games that that long, let alone the most ambitious game ever by an order of magnitude.

Nothing significant was accomplished before they were funded. It was literally a couple dudes and a scratch pad.

I had the odd thought today at work about this. Who wants to take a bet that Chris converts this to a subscription-based streaming model in 2020?

Only if he can't find a sucker developer to unload cloud imp on.

I have little doubt he has been shopping the company to bigger developers for a few years already.

Start project -> Sweet talk your way into Funds -> pocket as much as you can by paying yourself and family as much as you can, buy the building your using... rent it to your company for 2x the going rate. Lease all equipment from your own leasing company -> bleed all development money as dry as possible -> sell the "company" and its game assets as they are to a big sucker publisher.

I mean that is EXACTLY what the dude did with Digital Anvil.

My guess its a small industry... and MS was so badly burned having to basically create Freelancer from the ground up that I'm sure none of the majors would touch anything to do with Roberts again. Still there is a sucker born every min... and if anyone can unload a game developer with 20% of a game after burning through 200 million in R&D its Roberts. lol

Successful? Based on what metric? The number of idiots still throwing away their money? Ok. Sure. Successful in terms of even remotely having something close to a finished product more than four years past the initial release date? Nope. I can't believe people are still stupid enough to continue to throw money at this. Might as well through money on to a bonfire - at least you'll get some warmth in return.

They claimed to have started from 2011.
You have count from 0 to include the starting year, or add 1 after your math.

SO.... your telling me... it started in 2011.... so.. 2018 - 2011 = 8 years.. GOT IT.... not

Even if they started coding in 2011... they didn't start getting the funding until 2012... either way.. they math that I LEARNED.. is still off.

o_O Did I drink too much... sleep too long.... and wake up in 2020? o_O

I understand it's been awhile since I was in school...
I also understand Math today has somehow changed....

BUT is this NEW MATH 2018-2012 = 8? or .... 2018 - 2012 = 6....

Go back and watch the video released for the kickstarter. You can find it online. Realize at the time of the kickstarter the game had been in development per Chris Roberts for 2 years already on his dime.

NOW try your math again.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Not that he got a lot done other than a demo.

Go back and watch the video released for the kickstarter. You can find it online. Realize at the time of the kickstarter the game had been in development per Chris Roberts for 2 years already on his dime.

NOW try your math again.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Not that he got a lot done other than a demo.

Indeed his first pitch was.... hit this Goal and prove to my INVESTORS that this genre is still viable and they will provide the funding needed to finish the game.

He was either lying... or they pulled out, or he realized FREE money you don't have to pay back is much much better. lol My money would be on lying.

SO.... your telling me... it started in 2011.... so.. 2018 - 2011 = 8 years.. GOT IT.... not

Even if they started coding in 2011... they didn't start getting the funding until 2012... either way.. they math that I LEARNED.. is still off.

You still didn't include the starting year, or year zero.

If I started working on Jan 2011, and stopped at Dec 2011, did I not work because 2011-2011 = 0?
If I started working on Jan 2011, and stopped at Dec 2012, did I only work for one year because 2012 -2011 = 1?

and please don't pull 'you don't know what month they started working on it' crap. It's CR who advertised that they were already in development when he kickstarted.

Last edited:
Seeing so many people that don't follow the development of something, discuss it as if they do, is quite entertaining to me.

Carry on Gents!

Seeing so many people that don't follow the development of something, discuss it as if they do, is quite entertaining to me.

Carry on Gents!
I'm not a backer. I do follow its development due to an interest in space themed games.

I can safely say though that many people on this forum can respond to this story without following this game or Chris Roberts career on the grounds that if they controlled a project with 200m in funding over 8 years they would already have released a fully functional project. No press release or tech demo to date has reflected the funding spent on this title in a well managed and progressive light. They do represent the standard Chris Roberts model of promise the moon and never deliver because the promise keeps changing.

To make matters entirely worse he isn't even developing his own engine. There is just about zero excuse to his development time or budget. His vision isn't that grand.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I have not played the game.

But from what I have seen, it does look quite spectacular and not something that really deserves to be released today (flame on). Perhaps is probably too demanding (from a designer/programmer view) and just like a lot of future products, it has to wait on better tech to be fully realized.
And from my limited exposure to the game, it does seem to progress.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I have not played the game.

But from what I have seen, it does look quite spectacular and not something that really deserves to be released today (flame on). Perhaps is probably too demanding (from a designer/programmer view) and just like a lot of future products, it has to wait on better tech to be fully realized.
And from my limited exposure to the game, it does seem to progress.

at this point your better off with Elite or the new X game coming out both are more of a game the SC will be for years yet

Carry on Gents!

A few ship models... and rules written for a third party engine. Still less of an actual game then something like say ED which also benefited from some crowd sourcing... ED developer took in something like $2.6 million, which they say paid for about 1/4 of the production costs. So ED had a production cost of 10.4 million. No one can justify star jokes taking in almost 20x the donations and still not having an actual shipping product.

Could you imagine what a real developer... such as David Braben or the like would have done with a 200 million dollar budget.

However I'm sure Roberts has an equipment leasing company which has been turning a very nice profit. I'm sure he has been his own land lord... with a model cash flush tenant. Its also really cool that he has been able to give all his fam high paying steady jobs. I doubt he is working too hard to hide all the expensive toys people are buying him... its not like he has actual investors to show numbers too or any of the legal rules that govern actual investment relationships. Nothing stopping him from spending every 100th dollar on the actual game and using the rest to enrich himself. Back when he made movies... he employed all the usual tax evasion, investor money go bye bye shell games, and learned a few new ones from people that are still in jail. (seriously his German partners are still doing time). Considering his new grift I'm not sure he even needs to bother with anything elaborate.

I think I got a free ship/game code with my R9-290. Still waiting on a release....

By the time it's released, will it still run decently on an R9-290?

This is the current state of the software market, and the fault is in Linux. The Linux mentality for the majority of software is continual "release" of alpha code without a decent installer, and adding more and more features while never fixing bugs. Most Linux software I've had to deal with, from Salt to Graylog to ElasticSearch to WINE, is like this. Few in the Linux market actually finish anything, or even make it operational for most users. Bug after bug is reported, but the developers ignore them in favor of adding "new features" that just makes things worse. Non-commercial software groups lack the direction and financial motivation to actually finish. People keep handing them money, because it is non-commercial and it makes them feel good because it isn't what they see as capitalism, and they keep putting out unfinished crap.
uh wut?

People say backers are crazy...anyone else reading the same comments I am? You people are way worse, honestly. Yes it's taking a long time...show me a game like this that's taken less time to make (what game is even like this?). Yes release dates were missed (years ago get over it)...that happens when entirely new tech and ideas evolve over ever increasing budgets and employee numbers. What we were said to have gotten at release is merely a speck of the game we have now. Feature creep? Yeah, a couple years ago. They've since had a release schedule with goals per release. Nothing, to my knowledge, has "creeped" in for a while now.

It's a scam to make Robert's money despite having no track record for being scam artist and we'll ignore his obvious passion for amazing space sims.

I mean, call me some blind fanboy defender all you want but all of you will be eating crow here in just the coming months. 3.3 is already mind blowing and doing what NO OTHER GAME EVER has even attempted. 3.3.5 will be even bigger. The fact so many of you continue to ignore, or DENY, the progress made is very telling. Hell, some of you here have even admitted that you won't even play the game when it's free for the week...talk about denial!

I just find the "its turned into a religion" comments here hilarious as everyone in these threads is 99% hate from the same people over and over again that have no backing for their claims other than missed deadlines forever ago all while ignoring all the progress and changes made from their original much more limited scope.

Last edited:
People say backers are crazy...anyone else reading the same comments I am? You people are screwy. Yes it's taking a long time...show me a game like this that's taken less time to make. Yes release dates were missed...that happens when entirely new tech and ideas evolve over ever increasing budgets and employee numbers. What we were said to have gotten at release is merely a speck of the game we have now. Feature creep? Yeah, a couple years ago. They've since had a release schedule with goals per release. Nothing, to my knowledge, has "creeped" in for a while now.

It's a scam to make Robert's money despite having no track record for being scam artist and we'll ignore hos obvious passion for amazing space sims.

I mean, call me some blind fanboy defender all you want but all of you will be eating crow here in just the coming months. 3.3 is already mind blowing and doing what NO OTHER GAME EVER has even attempted. 3.3.5 will be even bigger.

I just find the "its turned into a religion" comments here hilarious as everyone in these threads is 99% hate from the same people over and over again that have no backing for their claims other than missed deadlines forever ago all while ignoring all the progress and changes made from their original much more limited scope.
Release dates were missed?

Try the audit that was promised for 2014.

Feature creep? The man has taken what was supposed to be a game in space, added land vehicles and property parcels to planets, without even getting the most basic elements of the game that people were interested in working.

You want to talk about Robert's track record? Yeah, he has one. He's a notorious fuckup who can't manage a product and this has been known for decades that he is incapable of getting anything resembling a completed product out the door without some sort of oversight breathing down his neck... which doesn't exist when he runs his own company.

The scope of this game has gotten so far off the fucking rails, that it became TWO games, one of which we haven't heard jack shit about for 3 years or so.

When you can post on a thread, ignoring facts, singing the praises of a man who has promised a lot and not delivered a damned thing, yes it sounds like a religion. Aside from the massive case of sunk cost fallacy that a lot of people have, who will continue to white knight for Chris Roberts(as if he needs it), yes the CR white knights come off sounding like they're defending their religion from blasphemers.

People say backers are crazy...anyone else reading the same comments I am? You people are screwy. Yes it's taking a long time...show me a game like this that's taken less time to make. Yes release dates were missed...that happens when entirely new tech and ideas evolve over ever increasing budgets and employee numbers. What we were said to have gotten at release is merely a speck of the game we have now. Feature creep? Yeah, a couple years ago. They've since had a release schedule with goals per release. Nothing, to my knowledge, has "creeped" in for a while now.

It's a scam to make Robert's money despite having no track record for being scam artist and we'll ignore hos obvious passion for amazing space sims.

I mean, call me some blind fanboy defender all you want but all of you will be eating crow here in just the coming months. 3.3 is already mind blowing and doing what NO OTHER GAME EVER has even attempted. 3.3.5 will be even bigger.

Robert's has an undeniable problem with creep and deadlines. Cut through the trolls on both sides and you have a legitimate problem of this: CR constantly had to have others push him to finish or finish for him. The scope on this game crept for years, making this a monumental task to complete, in line with all CR projects. He still doesn't have enough money to complete the game as RSI continually attempts to gain more money though sale of in game assets in a micro transaction manner (though dollar amount is not micro). It is very realistic that this game will not be completed by RSI as they run out of money trying to complete the mountain CR made in the first 5 years of feature creep, as the funding market seems to be largely tapped out now. They are still in early Alpha phase, so there is a lot of work and expense left to even get it to beta, let alone release.

The question is, when he runs out of money, will someone buy this project and complete? Or will it be pushed out to market like Battlecruiser 3000ad.

Proving my point.
Blah blah blah

So much of what you said is just you making shit up or stuff that's no longer relevant. Period.

Robert's has an undeniable problem with creep and deadlines.

Again, as I just fucking said they have a release schedule now. Since 3.0 can you name me one feature that's "crept" in? Or are they sticking to deadlines and features as per release as they've been doing?

Again, as I just fucking said they have a release schedule now. Since 3.0 can you name me one feature that's "crept" in? Or are they sticking to deadlines and features as per release as they've been doing?

You didn't read the post. Try again.

Edit: to clarify because you all get your panties in a bunch so fast.
I firmly believe with 200m, 5 years of feature creep, a engine switch, and only being in Alpha state, RSI does not have the funds needed to take this project to conclusion. I also believe that by and large the backer crowd is tapped out, which is why your suddenly seeing releases and some harder dates, they need to push some product out to raise more money. I don't think that money exists for them now, so I believe it's a matter of a sale to say EA, or a buggy release like BC 3000ad.

Last edited:
Proving my point.

So much of what you said is just you making shit up or stuff that's no longer relevant. Period.

So instead of actually specifying what I've made up, you actually replace my text in the quote and then just make an accusation?

And you wonder why people claim the defenders sound like they're in a religion. The word of Roberts is infallible! He doesn't have a decades long history of piss poor project management in the game industry that was discussed in magazines going as far back as the 90's, his Hollywood career went flawlessly!

I guess what I really want to know is why all of you naysayers have such an unquenchable thirst and desire and absolute NEED for the game to A) Be a scam and B) Fail.

All this talk about blind backers and fanboys being this and being that all the while all any of you do is constantly talk shit about something most of you clearly know nothing about and can't even try to look at the positives.

Yeah, some of the fanboys can get a bit out there in defending it but, goddamn, you "naysayers" have CLEARLY become a far larger group and have CLEARLY lost your marbles. Seriously, find me ONE article or forum post ANYWHERE about this game where the comments aren't negative and insulting a vast majority of the time.

It's like you need the game to fail and for you to be right despite all that you have going against yourselves.

It's really bizarre and disturbing quite honestly. Most of you don't even have any money in the game yet someone saying something positive is INSTANTLY a Roberts dick sucking fanboy that needs to die for being such an idiot...yet they're the "cult".

I just want one person to show me a game that's this size and scope and does so much new that was made in 6 years that started from absolutely fucking nothing. That's all. If that can happen then I'll concede that the game is a scam.

I guess what I really want to know is why all of you naysayers have such an unquenchable thirst and desire and absolute NEED for the game to A) Be a scam and B) Fail.

All this talk about blind backers and fanboys being this and being that all the while all any of you do is constantly talk shit about something most of you clearly know nothing about and can't even try to look at the positives.

Yeah, some of the fanboys can get a bit out there in defending it but, goddamn, you "naysayers" have CLEARLY become a far larger group and have CLEARLY lost your marbles. Seriously, find me ONE article or forum post ANYWHERE about this game where the comments aren't negative and insulting a vast majority of the time.

It's like you need the game to fail and for you to be right despite all that you have going against yourselves.

It's really bizarre and disturbing quite honestly. Most of you don't even have any money in the game yet someone saying something positive is INSTANTLY a Roberts dick sucking fanboy that needs to die for being such an idiot...yet they're the "cult".

Then why visit these threads? I agree that the SC thread in the game forum should be mostly left alone and for supporters. But this is front page, people love to discuss things and this is a 200m project by a guy with quite the history of boondoggles, this project sharing a few.

I mean you don't even bother to respond to posts, you just paraphrase and spout some nonsense, so really, why are you posting other than your mad that others hate on Chris Robert?

Then why visit these threads?

Are you fucking kidding me? Why are you here? To just continuously bash the game using your same talking points over and over again that have already been crushed? And not even crushed by those trying to defend it but crushed by what's actually being done and shown and what's playable right now!

Lol, I guess my last comment was spot on. You people are a cult. A violent one at that. Either HATE Star Citizen and think it's NOTHING but a scam or DIE. It's like a bunch of Flat-Earthers.

It's so fucking pathetic at this point.

Again, more blanket accusations.

While I do believe you fanboys act like a cult who can't get over the sunk cost fallacy, I do not believe you've ever had the pleasure of sucking Chris Roberts his holiness may his name be praised's... dick.

Get over yourself. There are plenty of places where you and your congregation can be happy about the current state of Star Citizen all you want. At the same time, other people can bitch about it all they want. We don't need or want your evangelism, and just because Star Citizen is being discussed does not mean you need to come to the rescue and save the day by telling everyone else how much they suck. What's amazing is how often I've seen your username come up in discussions about this game, you seem to take everything personally as if you've got something on the line. You don't. Keep stomping your feet, [H]ardforum is not your internet safespace. Every time a SC topic gets posted, you jump to the forefront of the defense of anyone who would besmirch his holiness as if we've personally attacked you or your family, and every damn time it ends up with you just tossing out a bunch of personal insults and throwing a tantrum in the hope that the threads get closed. I'm honestly not sure why your ass hasn't been banned yet, as you do nothing but making reasonable discussions of a specific topic to be a difficult pain in the ass for anyone who has to sift through your bullshit. I'm not even kidding, it's every damn time it comes up in the news section here.

If you don't like it, LEAVE ALREADY.

Are you fucking kidding me? Why are you here? To just continuously bash the game using your same talking points over and over again that have already been crushed? And not even crushed by those trying to defend it but crushed by what's actually being done and shown and what's playable right now!

Lol, I guess my last comment was spot on. You people are a cult. A violent one at that. Either HATE Star Citizen and think it's NOTHING but a scam or DIE.

You are a child, you don't even read if you could, you would know why I am here. Welcome to the ignored cluster.

PS it's the internet, people hate on everything here, would be disappointed is there wasn't people that hate on me here too ;).

Again, more blanket accusations.

Right, blanket accusations = WHAT'S GOING ON IN THIS THREAD AND EVERYONE LIKE IT.

You're blind. You're in denial. You want this to be something it isn't. That's called a cult. You're a cult follower on the losing side. Look at your post. Talking about me being BANNED for not being a fucking sheep like you.

Again, pathetic. Get over it. The game is being worked on and making great strides. I know that hurts you but it is what it is. Get the fuck out of here with your "as you do nothing but making reasonable discussions of a specific topic to be a difficult pain in the ass" bullshit. There is no reasonable discussion going on ANYWHERE HERE before I commented.

Good God, like, tell me you're just trolling, seriously. Your comment is so full of shit and hypocrisy it's literally mind bending..

You are a child, you don't even read if you could, you would know why I am here. Welcome to the ignored cluster.

I could say the EXACT same for you. You are a child that is too uneducated to know what's going on. I don't know a single programmer or developer in my circle that sees a problem with SC's development. 6 years from no money and no studio to 200 million and hundreds of employees. Yeah, SHIT CHANGES. Yeah, SHIT HAPPENS.

As it's looking now though your side is falling off a cliff, and fast.

Can you, will you, admit to being wrong when proven otherwise? That time is fast approaching.

I could say the EXACT same for you. You are a child that is too uneducated to know what's going on. I don't know a single programmer or developer in my circle that sees a problem with SC's development. 6 years from no money and no studio to 200 million and hundreds of employees. Yeah, SHIT CHANGES. Yeah, SHIT HAPPENS.

As it's looking now though your side is falling off a cliff, and fast.

Can you, will you, admit to being wrong when proven otherwise? That time is fast approaching.

This is why I will never play SC, you rage and troll and don't read. This community is going to be as toxic as any MOBA.

Come back when you actually read any of my posts above instead of one line and flip out. Bye.

Right, blanket accusations = WHAT'S GOING ON IN THIS THREAD AND EVERYONE LIKE IT.

You're blind. You're in denial. You want this to be something it isn't. That's called a cult. You're a cult follower on the losing side. Look at your post. Talking about me being BANNED for not being a fucking sheep like you.

Again, pathetic. Get over it. The game is being worked on and making great strides. I know that hurts you but it is what it is. Get the fuck out of here with your "as you do nothing but making reasonable discussions of a specific topic to be a difficult pain in the ass" bullshit. There is no reasonable discussion going on ANYWHERE HERE before I commented.

Good God, like, tell me you're just trolling, seriously. Your comment is so full of shit and hypocrisy it's literally mind bending..

SC fanboy accusing others of being blind, an idiot, a cult, that there is somehow a "losing side" with regard to the production of one game(this really is a sign you need to get over yourself), and that others are sheep. It really is comical at this point.

If you were even the slightest bit interested in a reasonable discussion, you wouldn't have thrown a tantrum and you'd have attempted to say something with regard to points made in other posts that you don't like, instead of just stomping your feet in tears. Insert picture of leave britney alone guy, re-captioned as "Leave Chris Roberts alone".

I'd like to give this game a try one day when/if it ever gets released.

This is why I will never play SC, you rage and troll and don't read. This community is going to be as toxic as any MOBA.

Come back when you actually read any of my posts above instead of one line and flip out. Bye.

LMAO!!! Oh my GOD!! Hahahaha!!! TOXIC! WON'T EVEN PLAY IT!

So you're toxic calling others toxic for calling you out on your toxicity and THEN you say YOU WON'T EVEN PLAY IT! THEN WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING EVEN TALKING ABOUT IT??? My god...

It really is comical at this point.

You are, really. You don't want "discussion"...you just want repeats of the same ole bashing hateful shit constantly. Look at your post history in these threads. There's no discussion with you, just "agree with what I say while I ignore everything you say despite all that's happening with the game". That's literally it.

So you're toxic calling others toxic for calling you out on your toxicity and THEN you say YOU WON'T EVEN PLAY IT! THEN WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING EVEN TALKING ABOUT IT??? My god...

You are, really. You don't want "discussion"...you just repeats of the same ole bashing hateful shit constantly. Look at your post history in these threads. There's no discussion with you, just "agree with what I say while I ignore everything you say".
Being willing to play a game is not a requirement to talk about it, especially when that game isn't even out yet.

So since it's not out yet, why are you talking about it?

You are, really. You don't want "discussion"...you just want repeats of the same ole bashing hateful shit constantly. Look at your post history in these threads. There's no discussion with you, just "agree with what I say while I ignore everything you say despite all that's happening with the game". That's literally it.

I suggest you shut up, you really aren't doing any favors to this title. You won't, I suspect you can't. Please either read my posts and respond to them, or just don't bother. There is a small dissertation above as to what I think will happen.

Being willing to play a game is not a requirement to talk about it, especially when that game isn't even out yet.

So since it's not out yet, why are you talking about it?

Look at this, so culty you have to defend someone else's ridiculous post! They said they will never play it. Talking about a "toxic community" when that's all that there is TOWARDS the game. This thread proves this POSITIVELY. The last thread about this game PROVES THIS. THE THREAD BEFORE THAT, ETC ETC.

I suggest you shut up, you really aren't doing any favors to this title.

Says the person that ignores the games progress and won't ever play it. That shows a true personal problem, IMO.

This is my last post in this thread. I just wanted to point out how screwy you all are and within 10 minutes my point has been proven. Same old shit, over and over again. Keep ignoring the progress and development videos and playable releases...seems to be working for you so far.

Lol, I guess my last comment was spot on. You people are a cult. A violent one at that. Either HATE Star Citizen and think it's NOTHING but a scam or DIE. It's like a bunch of Flat-Earthers.

That's some level of hyperbole you got going on there. I'm sorry, but if the whole idea was to go against this idea that SC has formed some sort of a cult, this is pretty much not the way to go about disproving that accusation.

Hate Star Citizen or DIE? Talk about dramatic histrionics. :rolleyes:

Thank god, we can go back to actually discussing the topic.

You haven't even commented in this thread before responding to my post......Who is "we" and what "discussion" is happening other than the same posts about it being a scam?

Dude..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back