Star Citizen Developer Calls Real-Time Ray Tracing "A Massive Headache"

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Will Star Citizen support ray tracing? The answer is an unsurprising “no.” Cloud Imperium developer Ben Parry suggests implementing the technology would be a “massive headache and time sink,” as it would break the game in its current form and call for substantial redesign of existing elements. Another problem is visual parity: the team wants the game to look similar even on different configurations, so they would have to develop alternatives to ray-tracing effects for those on lower-ended cards. Most backers agree the team should merely focus on completing the game.

Parry admitted that he’d love to use real-time ray tracing in order to enhance the game’s shadows. Parry also admitted that real-time ray tracing is currently – and for the foreseeable future – the only technique via which game developers can offer correct reflections in their games, however that’s also something that will need additional workload. “The “headache” part is writing all the management code that will be needed, eg. to calculate lighting/shadowing on objects that aren’t on screen.”

Not enough space ships to justify it yet.
More GIFs required.

I keep wondering what my initial 30 dollar pledge in I believe 2012 will eventually produce. To be fair, I may have received that much entertainment from its development thus far, so it's all a win from here.

So it seems like ray tracing is not backwards compatible. I was hoping for games like ALIEN Isolation to be re-released with ray tracing.

Another excuse to whine about needing more money and, in turn, delaying the release again? Yes please!

They say no at the moment, but all I hear is yes yes yes.

Correction... The game will in Beta 1.1 state and we are still awaiting for completed product. All while they hit the backing goal of 2.1trillion

LMFAO, Thanks for the great gut laugh, really funny. I'm a whale but I still look at the funds lost vs. overall entertainment value from the community, anti-community and "game" (current state) as a way better and cheaper hobby than my neighbor across the street with his Ferrari. At least my ships will be used and abused, not just sit in the hangar all the time. To each his own, I say.

LMFAO, Thanks for the great gut laugh, really funny. I'm a whale but I still look at the funds lost vs. overall entertainment value from the community, anti-community and "game" (current state) as a way better and cheaper hobby than my neighbor across the street with his Ferrari. At least my ships will be used and abused, not just sit in the hangar all the time. To each his own, I say.
It is not my type of game but it does look pretty amazing overall. I do watch gameplay videos on occasion. Agreed there are other hobbies that can be money sinks.

Render without lights. Let artificial stupidity fake it. Coulda been finished yesterday.

For the love of all that is holy! Get the game “finished” and shipped, add Ray tracing as a patch down the road you are looking at 3-5 years before it becomes a mainstream item and at this point only has a single vendor specific implementation that is subject to change. Outside of an immediate sales gimmick why would you put it in.

Will Star Citizen support ray tracing? The answer is an unsurprising “no.” Cloud Imperium developer Ben Parry suggests implementing the technology would be a “massive headache and time sink,” as it would break the game in its current form and call for substantial redesign of existing elements. Another problem is visual parity: the team wants the game to look similar even on different configurations, so they would have to develop alternatives to ray-tracing effects for those on lower-ended cards. Most backers agree the team should merely focus on completing the game.

Parry admitted that he’d love to use real-time ray tracing in order to enhance the game’s shadows. Parry also admitted that real-time ray tracing is currently – and for the foreseeable future – the only technique via which game developers can offer correct reflections in their games, however that’s also something that will need additional workload. “The “headache” part is writing all the management code that will be needed, eg. to calculate lighting/shadowing on objects that aren’t on screen.”
If he thinks that’s a “headache” I wonder what he thinks about actually releasing a game?

l6uacJH.png

Good they aren't adding Ray Tracing. They really need to focus on getting their previous promises completed before tackling any further eye candy enhancements.

Of course theyre not adding ray-tracing. They're planning for Star Citizen's release to coincide with an even better technology built into graphics cards.. Diffused Scattering Neutrino Path Tracing.
DSNPT is truly superior to ray tracing, plus it's open source. Its one saving grace is that all game assets hava to be re-done to support it.

Is anyone taking this company seriously anymore? I'd suggest getting your game out before saying what you are not going to add to it.

Unless that's their plan and say : " oh, in the end we added it and it delayed us even more. We told everyone so!"

Jokers they are....

That's a shame as it really a perfect game for it. So many super shiny reflective surfaces.

Space...its really really big. If they used raytracing wouldn't the rays be restricted by the phyx™ speed of its light? Soo the rays would be going out and not comming back to render for years. They would need transwwarp raytracing! +1™ for sale to show off their oh soo cool ships. Donate now to reach the faster than light speed goal of 100 million dollars!

Back