Star Citizen Backers No Longer Able to Get Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just here for the comments, but isn't that a little different? I mean Chris Roberts from what I know is not the best manager according to multiple sources, and Square Enix has a stellar track record as does Rockstar... so I am not sure what you're trying to prove.
The specific games aren't really relevant. M76's argument seemed to be that until he can play a game on his own hardware he can't be convinced that it really, truly exists. I'm saying that logic is faulty. It's like some weird adult-video-game-object-permanence thing. [Dammit, now I'll probably spend the next hour trying to find a better analogy.]

And no, CR is not the best manager. Zero argument there.

OMG.

Okay. We'll unpack this is in baby steps.
  1. Dude claimed lack of refunds means one of two things.
  2. I pointed out that this claim is a false dichotomy and there could actually be other possibilities. I suggested a few alternatives to prove the point.
  3. You got confused and thought the alternatives were actual reasons.
For the love of everything holy please tell me we're on the same page now because I feel like I'm having a stroke.

Yes, let's unpack this, you said mass abuse of refunds with zero evidence. You are fighting hypothetical with hypothetical and then talking about someone being unreasonable with a rimshot. Yet you have been pretty unreasonable yourself in this thread.

So again, how is it that I am the one being obtuse here?

This is a six year early alpha!

OK so 6 years is still an early stage in development, we learned that today. Thanks to the CIG university of game development and it's disciples.

Does this mean that at year 12 the game might be in beta and at year 18 the game may be completed?

Sadly, I don't think the donations will continue to roll in long enough for that to work out.

The specific games aren't really relevant. M76's argument seemed to be that until he can play a game on his own hardware he can't be convinced that it really, truly exists. I'm saying that logic is faulty. It's like some weird adult-video-game-object-permanence thing. [Dammit, now I'll probably spend the next hour trying to find a better analogy.].

Actually they are. You are talking about companies with a history of completing games within reasonable time frames compared to a man who has never met timelines and had to be pushed and dragged across the finish line, sometimes completely cut out of the loop in order to get the game finished. His comments are perfectly reasonable in that light.

Chris Roberts had even made a claim that 3.0 was going to be Beta. So when you have a history of claiming things and then those claims keep blowing up in your face over and over again, you lose credibility.

Also as far as Roberts being an industry veteran, that isn't exactly true. He was kicked out of the industry, that is why he had to crowdfund. When he was in the industry, as said above, he was screwing up royally and had to have other people manage the project and force it to completion.

Yes, let's unpack this, you said mass abuse of refunds with zero evidence. You are fighting hypothetical with hypothetical and then talking about someone being unreasonable with a rimshot. Yet you have been pretty unreasonable yourself in this thread.

So again, how is it that I am the one being obtuse here?
Because he limited the possibilities to two when there's no evidence to support that limitation. It's a false dichotomy. The likelihood is that there is at least one other option. It doesn't matter what that option is, merely that it exists. Pretend I suggested something other than abuse of refunds if that's what you're getting hung up on. Maybe it was an invasion of fluffy pink unicorns that ate the support staff and pooped out rainbow unicorn poop if that makes you feel better. The point is that the two options presented are not the only two options.

Because he limited the possibilities to two when there's no evidence to support that limitation. It's a false dichotomy. The likelihood is that there is at least one other option. It doesn't matter what that option is, merely that it exists. Pretend I suggested something other than abuse of refunds if that's what you're getting hung up on. Maybe it was an invasion of fluffy pink unicorns that ate the support staff and pooped out rainbow unicorn poop if that makes you feel better. The point is that the two options presented are not the only two options.

It doesn't matter what he did. We aren't talking about him. It is what you said.

I'm confused now. We were talking about the SQ42 vertical slice, but now you're talking about the Star Citizen Persistent Universe. I think we need to be clear about which we're discussing if this is going to make any kind of sense. The PU (colloquially, Star Citizen) is basically a sandbox in the same way that Elite: Dangerous or EVE Online could be called sandboxes. SQ42 is a scripted narrative campaign. Naturally, one's going to have more guidance and structure than the other.
An MMO is not a sandbox. A sandbox for example is garry's mod, or the unreal editor, where you have no goals, and no narrative. Open world games are often erroneously called sandbox games, but they're not actually that in technical term. Don't try to muddy the waters. We're discussing both. Because both of them are late, and both of them are in bad shape. And I'm assuming that SQ42 is not further ahead than Star citizen. What do I base that on? That any game features and mechanics they implemented for SQ42 should've made it's way into the alpha already. But I again emphasise, I want SQ42 done, And I couldn't be happier than to be proven wrong about it.

Says who, though? You? Why three years and not four? Or six? Doesn't the time required to finalize the mechanics or the world or the release code scale with the scope of the project? It always seems strange to me that people seem to know how long certain aspects of the project should take. How long is an appropriate time to develop their procedurally-assisted planetary tech? Rotating planetary bodies? Ship destruction, damage, repair, salvage, refueling, etc.? Where do you get those numbers? Even if you have experience with the engine, does that necessarily imply that you know how long it would take to code the systems they've been building?
Yes I know how long it takes in proportion of the entire development of a game. Why is it so hard to believe, that someone posting on a forum would have insight into game development? If making the basic game mechanics takes 6+ years there is no hope for a final game any time soon. You can't build the walls before the foundation is finished. Look this s my last and final attempt at explaining this.
Imagine game development as a house. The mechanics and engine are the foundation. The walls are the actual content. And the roof is the final tweaking, testing and balancing. CIG is still digging up parts of the foundation, replacing it, changing the layout, adding new rooms to it. That's where we are now. You can't build a coherent game, while the game mechanics are being expanded and changed. And you can't start bugfixing and balance testing before the content is created. Content as in missions, levels, npcs, and such, I'm not talking about ship models, that is another category entirely (assets) That's about the only aspect where they' don't seem to be behind schedule: creating the assets.

Have you played [game x that hasn't been released yet and has no demo]? Do you believe it exists? If you believe Shadow of the Tomb Raider exists, or RDR2, or BG&E2, without having played them on your own hardware, aren't you being hypocritical? Would you say of them that there's no proof they actually exist?
I have a reasonable expectation that it exists, as the development team already released two games, that were functional and it didn't take them 10+ years and 200+ million USD either. But if shadow of the tomb raider was developed by an upstart, with a bad history of feature creep, and had an MMO version co developed with it that would be in the same state as star citizen is now, I'd have every reason to be sceptical about the single player game built by the same team on the same game mechanics.

Imagine game development as a house. The mechanics and engine are the foundation. The walls are the actual content. And the roof is the final tweaking, testing and balancing. CIG is still digging up parts of the foundation, replacing it, changing the layout, adding new rooms to it. That's where we are now. You can't build a coherent game, while the game mechanics are being expanded and changed. And you can't start bugfixing and balance testing before the content is created. Content as in missions, levels, npcs, and such, I'm not talking about ship models, that is another category entirely (assets) That's about the only aspect where they' don't seem to be behind schedule: creating the assets.

Technically it is more like CIG is patching the foundation while changing out drapes, and applying trim and paint to unfinished walls/rooms. They have not even built the exterior walls, there is no Tyvek, the roof is maybe a quarter of the way done...etc.

It doesn't matter what he did. We aren't talking about him. It is what you said.
I suggested alternative interpretations to illustrate the logical fallacy. I really can't explain this any more clearly.

I suggested alternative interpretations to illustrate the logical fallacy. I really can't explain this any more clearly.

And then you made the comment about the unreasonableness of the comments, whilst you yourself made unreasonable comments, and you did a rimshot afterwards.

I cannot express any more clearly your hypocrisy.

I am done with this back and forth nonsense. The point is you keep making some ridiculous claims whilst saying other people are making ridiculous claims. Just own up to it.

This thread was about CIG no longer offering refunds. It was a shitty move, period.

I don’t see why anyone would get upset about this. It’s crowd funding and your money is a donation. If the project doesn’t work out, boohoo. It has been very clear to anyone with a functioning brain this was going to end up way behind schedule.

Since when are donations taxed? It's a purchase, period.

Ok so sit tight and wait for the digital pixels to show up in 2021 when the game finally ships after crowd funding runs out. RSI has zero incentive to release a game while the crowd funding money keeps rolling in.

I've known a lot of people in the industry over the years too. Hell I recommended armour to Garriott many years ago when he started looking for the real stuff.

We all know teaching artists isn't working inside the industry. I teach people how to fly. I'm not dropping the bombs (anymore).

You have still provided zero proof other than your opinion that there is any type of scam going on. Why the fuck would an industry veteran, and a rather well known one at that, attempt to rip off the community that made him a well known person in first place, let alone having formed a company (a few companies) that employ over 500 people?

There are a lot more efficient ways of scamming folks.

You completely ignore the fact that I specifically said that I don't think Chris Roberts ever started with the intention to scam anyone. I think he was sincere about making the game advertised in the original Kickstarter video and then added the stretch goals with the intent of adding that stuff in. However, crowd funding doesn't have the same scrutiny and accountability behind it that a company does with investor funds. Having access to millions of dollars on tap with millions pouring in all the time is a tempting target. As I said, I think this is the far end of the mismanagement spectrum. I never said I was 100% sure this degenerated into a scam. However, the situation is very much like that of several well-known ponzi-schemes. Nothing but missed deadlines, slow progress and presentations designed to calm backers. This is done in the face of scum-bag moves not allowing people to receive refunds anymore because they've probably burned through too much of the cash to pay out on those refund requests.

Like I said, mismanagement is pretty much proven. Even you acknowledged this. This is the best case scenario right now. The project degenerating into a full on scam with most of the money going to the top of CIG and getting spent on shit that isn't game related is the worst case scenario. And I'm sure that if Chris Roberts is ever asked or question about the game he'll say with sincerity that the game's coming and everything's looking good. He probably even believes that. The problem is that I don't think he or anyone else up there has a fucking clue how to deliver.

I don’t see why anyone would get upset about this. It’s crowd funding and your money is a donation. If the project doesn’t work out, boohoo. It has been very clear to anyone with a functioning brain this was going to end up way behind schedule.

I knew this when I paid the $45 years ago to support the project. Frankly, I knew it was a gamble that might not pay off. I had hoped the game would be good and even if it wasn't, I hoped it would revive a genre I loved that has died out over the last 15 years. I figured delays were inevitable, but SQ42 (which is what I backed) shouldn't be years late.

Last edited:
It wasn't a scam initially, but I believe the constant addition of stretch goal, followed by feature creep, has created a monster that cannot be done. i think this was evidenced when they switched engines (desperation that the prior engine couldn't deliver, maybe new one could).

I believe they are now milking the funding, knowning they are in too deep, and that the PR disaster of the final product may well sink their careers, so ride the money train while it's here.

Yes this is my speculation, and I hope they'll make good on everything (I love space games). It's a long shot.

That was the implication I was going for. Maybe I should add in some quotes to better illustrate the point.

Don't bother, I got it loud and clear, and yes, that was reasonably polite, you really don't want me to speak my mind. I don't either, at this point, what I would like to say is a bannable offense.

Actually they are. You are talking about companies with a history of completing games within reasonable time frames compared to a man who has never met timelines and had to be pushed and dragged across the finish line, sometimes completely cut out of the loop in order to get the game finished. His comments are perfectly reasonable in that light.

Chris Roberts had even made a claim that 3.0 was going to be Beta. So when you have a history of claiming things and then those claims keep blowing up in your face over and over again, you lose credibility.

Also as far as Roberts being an industry veteran, that isn't exactly true. He was kicked out of the industry, that is why he had to crowdfund. When he was in the industry, as said above, he was screwing up royally and had to have other people manage the project and force it to completion.

Isn't exactly true? WUT?

Um, just because he done did fuck up, doesn't not make him a veteran of said industry.

As for 3.0: "With 3.0 the game is moving into a phase akin to Early Access. "

Ok so sit tight and wait for the digital pixels to show up in 2021 when the game finally ships after crowd funding runs out. RSI has zero incentive to release a game while the crowd funding money keeps rolling in.

One can only exponentially increase feeding off whales for soo long, and if we have an; chris " get the fuck out of my way, this blow won't snort itself " roberts and he is paying his ( is it really 500 employees?? ) less than 65,000/yr on average they are already out of , or almost out of money and living off ( or more chillingly; in hope of: ) of leverage ( loans ) and vampirism ( selling digital "assets" ) , and possibly , pathetically; youtube revenue.

If you look at it analytically SC is basically at this point an MMO, that is not massive, and is completely dependent , financially, on loot box mentality continuing to buy "non" loot-box items ( if the game never gets released, money wasted . If the game gets released either it is balanced...which pisses off all the long term whales... and attracts a large player base, or it is not balanced and the whales will have fun for about a month until the majority of the players abandon it ).

If whales are carrying the load then SC needs about 3 to 4 hundred ( whales ) a month buying high priced assets to keep the leverage available and the cash flowing. They have a ( close to a ) third of a million followers on youtube, so by ancient and reliable marketing standards if 1% are whales ( about 3000 people ) then only about 16% per month of them ( or all of them buying twice a year ) need to buy in big to keep this thing 'above' water.

Now , let's say the aforementioned is the way things currently are. One solution would be to open limited system ( maybe one star system or even one planet ) battle royals for whales, existing players, and most importantly FREE TO PLAY PLAYERS...this would create a chess like statis to the game : whales: ( limited to 2 per battle ) , existing players ( limited to six ) , FREE TO PLAY ( no less than eight, but unlimited ( based on playability ) for a designated time frame ) . the outcome of these battles would become permanent places in a persistent universe .

The other side of the coin on this issue , the possible; chris " my feet are bleeding on the razor blade " roberts , might have discovered an interesting thing in this 'micro culture , is my culture' nature of gravitational centers on the internet .

Most (real) creatives HAVE TO have a business savvy individual that occasionally runs tangentially to them to keep the creep balloon from becoming so heavy that investors do not perceive a near future submarine situation .

But, In a world where a micro culture of 330,000 people can in almost real time, keep their artist of choice floating, even as he dallies lost in the woods for months and years, gets occasionally wasted, or possibly even cuts his own ear off ...
we may actually see what crowd sourcing an art project can produce...

...so what are you made of Chris?

The point is you keep making some ridiculous claims whilst saying other people are making ridiculous claims. Just own up to it.
No. I pointed out a logical fallacy and said there are more than two explanations. Then I offered a what if to illustrate that hey, it might be other things, such as x or y. You then got weirdly obsessed with one of those what ifs and seemingly overlooked the core point and made it entirely about a hypothetical. I still have no idea why.

This thread was about CIG no longer offering refunds. It was a shitty move, period.
And as discussed earlier, this doesn't appear to be a policy decision as some people are still getting refunds. The details aren't clear, but yes, a policy change denying refunds would be a shitty move.

Star Citizen backers who want their money back are out of luck, as CIG has reportedly ignored all refund demands since December 2017. One redditor took the company to court but essentially lost his case after CIG managed to convince a judge that the arbitration clause present in the current TOS applies to transactions that occurred before it existed.

CIG has removed almost all backer’s rights through their revisions to the TOS. This includes CIG’s obligation to be financially accountable to their backers, something that they explicitly promised during the project’s initial drive for funding. They apparently don’t really have to deliver a final product either.

What was the judge smoking when he allowed that? Where is the backer's consideration? It's not like CIG can say their continued usage of the game constitutes consideration (as the game is non existent lol) allowing for the modification of the agreement!? How can backers be held to an arbitration clause that was never part of their agreement?

An MMO is not a sandbox. A sandbox for example is garry's mod, or the unreal editor, where you have no goals, and no narrative. Open world games are often erroneously called sandbox games, but they're not actually that in technical term.
Okay, cool. So we can agree that SC is not a sandbox, then? I was trying to roll with your assertion that SC is, if we also describe similar games the same way. Apologies for the confusion.

Because both of them are late, and both of them are in bad shape. [...] Why is it so hard to believe, that someone posting on a forum would have insight into game development?
It's not that you have insight I find unbelievable, but that you claim to have so much. It's the specific claims that concern me. "If making the basic game mechanics takes 6+ years there is no hope for a final game any time soon." Agreed! It's still probably three years out (which I think qualifies as "not soon"). But you've also claimed it shouldn't have taken those six years so far, which seems to me a step too far. I can’t fathom such certainty. The best I can do is say that, yes, it probably could have taken less time. I’m not bold enough or arrogant enough to say how long because I don’t actually know how much time was required, having never done that specific work myself.

The house analogy is a great one--I've used it myself on numerous occasions specifically to talk about Star Citizen. Hell, I even roll out the timelapse of One World Trade Center's construction as a visual aid. Once that foundation is done you can start building out core systems and iterating, before ultimately pushing full steam into world building and polish. In a production of this scale, though, it hasn't surprised me in the least that it's taken so long, which is why I have a hard time understanding how you can be so specific about the amount of time it should have taken.

I do agree that they've had to go back and do a lot of rework, but frankly that only seems remarkable to me because it's been so public; normally that kind of thing happens behind the scenes, and frequently before anyone outside the company even knows the game exists.

Back in the day, I bought "Trespasser", because reading Jurassic Park made it seem cool. This was before the movie. (Yes, children, there was an actual book written and then they based the movie on it.) Anyway, "Trespasser" had groundbreaking design elements. Cool.

It was a turd.

That was the last game I ever bought without waiting to read a review on it. Not a preview, but an actual review based on the release code.

That habit has kept me from buying more turds. Once you're standing there holding a handful of fresh turd which you've paid for, you tend to try not to repeat that experience.

As much as I enjoy sci-fi, there is no friggin' way I'll believe anything about Star Citizen until the game is released...in its release form...and then reviewed. After that? Sure, I may buy in. Meantime, anyone who's paid into the SC crowdfunding, I hope you are not emotionally or financially dependent upon getting a return on the money you've sent.

Korrd, enlighten me. I haven't logged in for years.

Have they defined the roles/classes for users/npcs, and have they published out all the ships or at least main variations of them? Are the main quests in?

And I still want to hear a backer tell me when they think the game should be released by.

2020? 2021? 2022? When do you loyal fans start to worry? 2025?

And I still want to hear a backer tell me when they think the game should be released by.

I think hardcore fans have this weird lifestyle which revolves around Star Citizen as a concept and not so much a finished game. I suspect more than a few would actually be disappointed by a finished release, because then the unwelcome masses would invade their little cul . . . *cough* . . . club.

I think hardcore fans have this weird lifestyle which revolves around Star Citizen as a concept and not so much a finished game. I suspect more than a few would actually be disappointed by a finished release, because then the unwelcome masses would invade their little cul . . . *cough* . . . club.
I actually don’t mean my question to come off as accusatory or anti star citizen. I’m legit excited even if they can only deliver SQ42. I grew up as a young kid playing WC and I loved it. Pretty sure I played it on an old windows 3.1 box my parents had but it may have been later on my p166 box.

Fond memories are fond.

It wasn't a scam initially, but I believe the constant addition of stretch goal, followed by feature creep, has created a monster that cannot be done. i think this was evidenced when they switched engines (desperation that the prior engine couldn't deliver, maybe new one could).

I believe they are now milking the funding, knowning they are in too deep, and that the PR disaster of the final product may well sink their careers, so ride the money train while it's here.

Yes this is my speculation, and I hope they'll make good on everything (I love space games). It's a long shot.

I agree that I do not think that they are purposely doing anything to scam people. It is my belief that they are just in such a deep hole that they cannot see that their actions are not "keeping things afloat long enough for us to deliver", it is actually digging the hole deeper in some cases. I know sometimes on a project, when things get going bad, you are so caught up in trying to get yourself out that you lose sight of how far off target you are.
At this point the highest return per effort is likely the assets (ships). It makes sense to keep churning out new ships for people to buy in order to get more money while only increasing workload minimally, buying them time and now money to get the other stuff working.

For a game of this scope I'd say that if it's not released by 2025, hardcore fans may want to raise an eyebrow.

The real question is why having a backer tell you a date would mean anything, because it wouldn't.

It's Chris Roberts and he cant help himself but to keep adding more and more until the whole thing is just a coded mess. He had to be reign in multiple times when working on Wing Commander. He has some great ideas and all but unless someone reigns his ass in this game will never be complete.

It's Chris Roberts and he cant help himself but to keep adding more and more until the whole thing is just a coded mess. He had to be reign in multiple times when working on Wing Commander. He has some great ideas and all but unless someone reigns his ass in this game will never be complete.

The amount of feature creep in the project has been staggering. Usually, at this point in development on a normal game the project has been scaled back, and more difficult ideas to implement get dropped for technical reasons.

For a game of this scope I'd say that if it's not released by 2025, hardcore fans may want to raise an eyebrow.

The real question is why having a backer tell you a date would mean anything, because it wouldn't.
2025 so that means a 13 year development cycle? I'm really just trying to figure out what the timeline looks like for the hardcore fan.

Like I always say initially I'd kill for SQ42 or even better a new X-Wing or Tie Fighter game. A man can dream.

Some of the graphical effects in the game already look bad, this would be a disaster to release in 2025. They will need to push it back to 2026 so they can redo the engine ;)

Some of the graphical effects in the game already look bad, this would be a disaster to release in 2025. They will need to push it back to 2026 so they can redo the engine ;)
YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH ABOUT THE GREATEST GAME EVER.....well I was gonna say released, but oh well.

Thought of? Dreamt of?

Wow, just wow. So changing their TOS, which is a policy is somehow not changing policy? Dude...
Policy doesn't always mirror a TOS, though. We have an example of that without even looking beyond this story; CIG/SC's TOS describes a 14-day refund policy while the company actually employs a 30-day window. So yes, a policy change to deny refunds would be shitty. No, such a change in policy has not occurred, either in the TOS or in actual practice.

Did you even bother reading the TOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back