Star Citizen Backers No Longer Able to Get Refunds

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Megalith, Jul 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

Star Citizen backers who want their money back are out of luck, as CIG has reportedly ignored all refund demands since December 2017. One redditor took the company to court but essentially lost his case after CIG managed to convince a judge that the arbitration clause present in the current TOS applies to transactions that occurred before it existed.

CIG has removed almost all backer’s rights through their revisions to the TOS. This includes CIG’s obligation to be financially accountable to their backers, something that they explicitly promised during the project’s initial drive for funding. They apparently don’t really have to deliver a final product either.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  2. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

That’s pretty scummy. Especially since they are years behind schedule, the alpha state it’s in runs like trash, and they’ve consistently missed deliverables. I wonder if this means they’ve blown all their cash on H&B.

3. viscountalpha

viscountalpha 2[H]4U

How many of you CIG backers are going to defend this kind of bs? The fact that the judge sided with CIG on this point hurts my brain. I've stayed on the sidelines long enough. This is just despicable behavior.

4. Elios

Elios [H]ardness Supreme

hahaha yeah there is NO WAY this isnt a scam at this point

they are out of money know if they have to give refunds they are fucked

5. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

No more spitting the Kool-Aid out.

DocNo likes this.
  6. NukeDukem

NukeDukem 2[H]4U

Spending thousands on digital ships in the hopes they'll be Pay-to-Win Overlords in a digital universe 10 years from now... no pity for the fools.

Revdarian, wolfofone, Kwaz and 8 others like this.
  7. warderkeeju

warderkeeju n00bie

I was done with CIG's bullshit 2 years ago... Glad I didn't dump thousands into their 'plan' like many others have.

8. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

time to swallow:depressed:

Makaveli@BETA likes this.
  9. maxz01

maxz01 [H]Lite

Whoah, this is huge news isn't it? I wonder how they will spin this, but it seems to me that this is a public admission that they have no confidence in their own product.

10. SamuraiInBlack

SamuraiInBlack [H]ardness Supreme

Suddenly glad I didn't pay in. I really wanted this game to be something, but I wasn't going to pay into it without definitive proof they were going to deliver.

11. M76

M76 [H]ardness Supreme

I was actually considering getting a refund now.

12. StoleMyOwnCar

StoleMyOwnCar 2[H]4U

Congratulations, this kind of stuff is the reason fewer and fewer of us trust any of these backing type deals. They're almost less reliable than preordering...

Armenius likes this.
  13. M76

M76 [H]ardness Supreme

Almost? They were always less reliable. When pre-ordering you have a fixed delivery date. At least I never preordered anything that didn't yet have a set date. And you have a pretty good idea on what the game will be. With crowfunding it's all a gamble.

SomeoneElse and Armenius like this.
  14. scojer

scojer 2[H]4U

IN other news, No Man's Sky is about to get a big update.

15. StoleMyOwnCar

StoleMyOwnCar 2[H]4U

Semi true, I was going to edit that post while adding "depending on the maker". Because some series, such as Disgaea, have a very standardized quality of delivery. But you always have crap getting released. But you're right, at least you're guaranteed a semi complete to complete product. It's just a gamble when it comes to certain new ones though, like the much lauded No Man's Sky...

16. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

Yeah they basically set precident than any company can retroactivily change a contract is kind of scary. That said arbitration is not necessarily a bad thing, and in many cases means you get more of your money

lostinseganet likes this.
  17. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

I'm not sure what's worse. The loss of the suit or derek smart being mentioned. Probably the law suit.

dr_drift likes this.
  18. ragnarz

ragnarz [H]Lite

Got my refund nov 2016. Went back in with just a starter package. Have ignored the game since. I try not to think about it . . . EVER.

Armenius and DocNo like this.
  19. T_A

T_A Limp Gawd

I had access way back in 2014 from AMD free code with some lame ass ship, guess i still have that account
    was not impressed , cant understand why someone would put down serious money on this

wolfofone and Armenius like this.
  20. Dead Parrot

Dead Parrot [H]ard|Gawd

I tossed a little money at this years ago, about what I would have spent on a just released top tier game. Have pretty much adopted the attitude of if something good gets released great. If not, the money lost was spent long enough ago that it has no impact on current budgeting. Wonder if the folks that spent the $10k or so for the 'super duper' packages are feeling the love yet?

The lawsuit thing sucks. This whole retroactive TOS/PP/EULA/Warranty where the company lessens or removes the customer's rights is getting way out of hand.

Daarken, Armenius and LightsOut41 like this.
  21. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

Assuming that you are not installing, playing and testing each new alpha release. Why in the world did you put money back into the boondoggle? Was it to support the game (which I'm guessing you did at a higher level before refund), or was it to save a few schmeckles because after it gets released the price would go up by ten bucks.

22. 04SVT

04SVT 2[H]4U

Funny, I got a partial refund less than a month ago.

I love watching people polarize on Star Citizen.

I've still had a good, if not great time with the early Alpha. Still am.

23. 04SVT

04SVT 2[H]4U

Derek should keep to what he is good at... nothing... Hell the guy was even perma banned at SomethingAwful… and that says a lot right there.

24. ChoGGi

ChoGGi [H]ard|Gawd

Oh nice :)
    I'm starting to feel that pre-order wasn't such a bad thing after all, I get the feeling I'd be feeling regrets if I'd thrown money at SC (too many feelings in that sentence, time to go shoot something).

Armenius and scojer like this.
  25. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ Little Bitch

Hookers and blow for everyone at CIG!

Backers BTFO!

wow.

Armenius likes this.
  26. M76

M76 [H]ardness Supreme

I would think it was the latter.

But at the current rate the game(s) have no hope of ever becoming released products. I should know by now, to get ready to be disappointed whenever I decide to install the 'alpha'. But based on the believers praise I always set my expectations way too high. Last time I installed was 2016 december, and then just last week. The progress is appalling. What changed in 19 months, should've been done in 2 months. And the state the game was in at 2016 was representative of a 8-10 month development. So basically the game is in a state now that I'd expect after 1 year of development and not 5. and a half.

27. scojer

scojer 2[H]4U

NMS was a day 1 purchase for me, and I've enjoyed it everytime I've played it. I'm excited to see what the update brings, and, they're adding a lot of neat shit that sure it took a bit, but it's being added at a lot quicker of a pace than SC...

Armenius and N4CR like this.
  28. viscountalpha

viscountalpha 2[H]4U

I would give credit to NMS actually trying to make good on their title.

29. Al Capwn

Al Capwn n00bie

If Derek Smart is mentioned, you know it's quality.

hexamon and Daarken like this.
  30. The Cobra

The Cobra 2[H]4U

I spent $55 on the Anvil Ghost a few years back. The game is a current failure.

31. TheOne&OnlyZeke

TheOne&OnlyZeke 100% Irish

Got a refund 2 years ago. Fuck that game, fuck that funding model, fuck that company
    Bunch of fucking fuckers
    Worse then crypto

32. Mut1ny

Mut1ny [H]ard|Gawd

Oh God here we goooo!!!! More blind uneducated stupid opinions about a revolutionary game that's done more technologically than most games all while being hated on by people who AREN'T AFFECTED WHAT SO EVER!!!

Who CARES that they're meeting their goals!

Who CARES that the people playing it are ENJOYING IT!

Who cares that this SCAMMMM is employing hundreds of employees, has weekly videos showing updates and progress all over the studios!

You people are a special kind of outraged clueless mass.

Daarken likes this.
  33. DPI

DPI Nitpick Police

If the criticism was completely off base, the cultists wouldn't need to sweat it so hard.

What seems to make people craziest is truth.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    Revdarian, Armenius and GoldenTiger like this.
  34. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise Gawd

You know a studio is batshit crazy when Smart is absolutely correct with scathing criticisms of your operations.

35. Mut1ny

Mut1ny [H]ard|Gawd

What is Smart doing right now? Does he have hundreds of people and millions of dollars creating a game he could only dream of? Oh...he doesn't? Sounds like a salty baby if you ask me.

Daarken and Jim Kim like this.
  36. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise Gawd

Who cares what he is doing? I didn't back his boondoggles.

Armenius, JunXaos and LightsOut41 like this.
  37. DrLobotomy

DrLobotomy [H]ardness Supreme

No refunds? I guess the game is ready to ship.

Pun intended.

38. ZLoth

ZLoth Gawd

Star Citizen Forever! Right Duke?

Armenius and GoldenTiger like this.
  39. ChoGGi

ChoGGi [H]ard|Gawd

I don't know, but I do know he isn't refusing refunds to his broken alpha test :)

Armenius likes this.
  40. Satyrist

Satyrist Gawd

And didn't even have to (*allegedly) assault a poor Coca-Cola (TM) vending machine to get the point across.

Armenius and ChoGGi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.