Star Citizen and Squadron 42 are still years from launch, CIG confirms

Don't... SC has regular free play weekends for you to try it, and if you are looking for a replacement for Elite Dangerous then No Man's Sky may be a good replacement.
The issue is that the free fly weekends have the absolute worst performance. They don't do themselves any favors to new players with their server performance. I don't even bother trying to play during free fly weeks. Still not a bad idea to at least see if you like the concept of the game.

Chris Roberts on his death bed, “just a few more years…”

This game will not finish. This is not how software development is done. I am a developer. If you don’t give your developers a concrete schedule, they will just hang around, add more stuff to increase the scope creep, then you gotta test more of that scope creep, and the cycle continues. No timeline, no deliverable.

This game will not finish. This is not how software development is done. I am a developer. If you don’t give your developers a concrete schedule, they will just hang around, add more stuff to increase the scope creep, then you gotta test more of that scope creep, and the cycle continues. No timeline, no deliverable.
"Developing" this game has basically turned into a lifelong career for its developers. Talk about a dream gig: come in every day and just lollygag around without any pressure whatsoever.

"Developing" this game has basically turned into a lifelong career for its developers. Talk about a dream gig: come in every day and just lollygag around without any pressure whatsoever.
Well, and counter-pressure to "shipping" something.

Nothing will ever measure up to the magic the whales have developed in their heads about what the game could be. If you ship it - the dream is over.

Nothing will ever measure up to the magic the whales have developed in their heads about what the game could be. If you ship it - the dream is over.

Yeah reminds me of another game Trials of Ascension
https://trialsofascension.com/home/
The deluded fans spent a massive amount of time planning on how they were going to play it when there was nothing even programmed. They wrote fanfics and created whole lives for them in this "game" and the people in charge got them to give them money to make their dreams come true. They eventally tried to kickstart it and failed twice, and got some programmer to make a rough demo that all the fans were swooning over. Now some 5 years later there still isnt much to show, but they talk like it is a massive living game.

They'll say it's everything they wanted and more. No way they are admitting that they were wrong when they called everyone else naysayers for 15 years.

Well, in this case the scope and feature creep expands from the top down with them adding more and more "stretch goals" to create a fantasy game that's honestly beyond our current technology. If not that, it's unrealistic given current technological constraints and a reasonable development timeline. This is the new Duke Nukem Forever. It will forever get retooled and scrapped and restarted so long as the money keeps flowing.

Well, in this case the scope and feature creep expands from the top down with them adding more and more "stretch goals" to create a fantasy game that's honestly beyond our current technology. If not that, it's unrealistic given current technological constraints and a reasonable development timeline. This is the new Duke Nukem Forever. It will forever get retooled and scrapped and restarted so long as the money keeps flowing.
20220120_065907.png

The creators of DNF had every reason to release a game. CIG has every reason to not release a game for as long as possible. So in that they are very different cases.

The creators of DNF had every reason to release a game. CIG has every reason to not release a game for as long as possible. So in that they are very different cases.
I expect this to play out for another 3-4 years, after which when the underlying tech is mostly flushed out somebody else bigger is going to buy it up, finish the last 20% and publish it out as the next space sandbox MMO. That’s assuming CCP isn’t already working on their own version of SC.

I expect this to play out for another 3-4 years, after which when the underlying tech is mostly flushed out somebody else bigger is going to buy it up, finish the last 20% and publish it out as the next space sandbox MMO. That’s assuming CCP isn’t already working on their own version of SC.
Now that you say that, has anyone actually tried digging enough to see if CR has any ties to, say; Tencent by any chance? Food for thought I guess. 🤔

They share the common problem of complete and total project mismanagement. It's obvious that this can only happen in cases where people aren't being held accountable to deliverables. Obviously, each case is vastly different when you get down into the details and 3D Realms had a finite budget where as Star Citizen seems to continually generate cash for CIG without delivering much of anything.

They share the common problem of complete and total project mismanagement. It's obvious that this can only happen in cases where people aren't being held accountable to deliverables. Obviously, each case is vastly different when you get down into the details and 3D Realms had a finite budget where as Star Citizen seems to continually generate cash for CIG without delivering much of anything.
With all those employees, they HAVE to be working on something right? I dont remember how many they said they had but it was not a super small number.

With all those employees, they HAVE to be working on something right? I dont remember how many they said they had but it was not a super small number.
It's a pretty sizable number at this stage Cloud Imperium stated back in 2019 they had 604 employees working for them, they gotta be doing something, and if they were just fucking the dog over there I'm sure there would be a Reddit thread about it for sure about all the work that isn't being done.

It's a pretty sizable number at this stage Cloud Imperium stated back in 2019 they had 604 employees working for them, they gotta be doing something, and if they were just fucking the dog over there I'm sure there would be a Reddit thread about it for sure about all the work that isn't being done.
I have absolutely zero interest in the game they are making... so from the outside looking in, it really has seemed like they are just stringing people along. Since I do not play it, I have no first hand knowledge of the steps they have taken towards completion.

Like...all the reports and testimonies from the past 7-8 years? Or, you know, the lack of an actual game.

I have absolutely zero interest in the game they are making... so from the outside looking in, it really has seemed like they are just stringing people along. Since I do not play it, I have no first hand knowledge of the steps they have taken towards completion.
I like the idea of the game they are proposing, what they ever actually deliver is a complete unknown but a lot of the technology they have developed to simulate this universe of theirs is pretty interesting, not sure most of it is feasible with modern technology and I think them trying to make it work with what currently exists is half the problem. They are trying to develop a game that reads right out of an Anime. Until recently I hadn't given the game any thought but the more I read into it the more I think that this is either going to be the next WoW or the biggest disappointment since Atari's ET, there will be no inbetween.

They are trying to develop a game that reads right out of an Anime. Until recently I hadn't given the game any thought but the more I read into it the more I think that this is either going to be the next WoW or the biggest disappointment since Daikatana.
That about sums it up. The game always read as a personalized wet dream to each own's imagination. That's the scheme.

WoW is off the table and Daikatana eventually came out. Star Citizen never will, at least not >10% of the promised game.

That about sums it up. The game always read as a personalized wet dream to each own's imagination. That's the scheme.

WoW is off the table and Daikatana eventually came out. Star Citizen never will, at least not >10% of the promised game.
That's half the problem, each individual element of the game as proposed is technically feasible but bringing it all together in a way that doesn't require a dedicated supercomputer to host it and a multi-terabyte NVME to store the local installer is something altogether different. I mean it is exactly the kind of game I would lose my wife, kid, job, and house over so I know I can't touch that shit with a 10-foot pole because I have a somewhat addictive personality for that sort of stuff.

What was mismanagement in 2013 I think slowly morphed into an intentional business model by 2015 - 2016.

So what engine will CIG pivot to before then? I'm sure their rendering engine will no longer looks so impressive by the time 2027 rolls around. As if the game will actually be ready at that point to begin with :ROFLMAO:
Why would you say so? Technological advancement pretty much stopped in 2007. Crysis still looks better than modern AAA-titles. It even has MSAA, not artificial blur filters smearing the overall image.

Why would you say so? Technological advancement pretty much stopped in 2007. Crysis still looks better than modern AAA-titles. It even has MSAA, not artificial blur filters smearing the overall image.
I cannot stand all the image/movement blurring in modern games. I have no idea how people can play a first person shooter like that -_-

While I agree that modern games go way too heavy on bullshit like chromatic aberration and motion blur, I wouldn't go so far as to say Crysis looks better than modern games. It doesn't. All one has to do is turn these stupid effects off.
I cannot stand all the image/movement blurring in modern games. I have no idea how people can play a first person shooter like that -_-
I don't. I turn effects like film grain, depth of field, chromatic aberration and motion blur off immediately.

all the crap is meant to just hide stuff, turn it all off!
The thing is that developers want to make the games appear more "cinematic" by adding camera effects that make things look and feel more like movies. Why the hell this is desirable to anyone is beyond me. Why have chromatic aberration in a medium that doesn't suffer from it natively? Why would you want to blur everything instead of having it clear? Film grain...why?

I don't know why developers feel the need to make games emulate movies. I'm not 100% sure how this garbage even got started.

The thing is that developers want to make the games appear more "cinematic" by adding camera effects that make things look and feel more like movies. Why the hell this is desirable to anyone is beyond me. Why have chromatic aberration in a medium that doesn't suffer from it natively? Why would you want to blur everything instead of having it clear? Film grain...why?

I don't know why developers feel the need to make games emulate movies. I'm not 100% sure how this garbage even got started.
i know that blurring was to hide shit frame rates, the others i always assumed was to hide shit textures.

RIGHT! I want to feel like I am there, not feel like i am watching a movie.

I'd say they made sense for a small genre of game with strong single player story telling.... stuff where your character is fully voice acted and choices aside things are scripted, then it can be a choice to make you feel like your in a movie. Thing is scripts and voice acting describe a lot of games these days. Most of them would be better served with their own unique esthetic design... but if the developer isn't confident in its design its easier and cheaper to just add a generic film grain and soft focus shader.

Anyway just saying that stuff makes sense for some titles... its the over use and addition to things like FPS games and the like that have turned people off. lol

I'd say they made sense for a small genre of game with strong single player story telling.... stuff where your character is fully voice acted and choices aside things are scripted, then it can be a choice to make you feel like your in a movie. Thing is scripts and voice acting describe a lot of games these days. Most of them would be better served with their own unique esthetic design... but if the developer isn't confident in its design its easier and cheaper to just add a generic film grain and soft focus shader.

Anyway just saying that stuff makes sense for some titles... its the over use and addition to things like FPS games and the like that have turned people off. lol
It's one thing to do that crap in cut scenes, its another thing to do it in the actual gameplay.

It's one thing to do that crap in cut scenes, its another thing to do it in the actual gameplay.
yeah, like how ffvii did it and they did the same kinda thing in boba. as it transitions to a flashback they both do the blur and film grain thing and then it clears up as you get into the flashback. that works good.

because games allow you to do things like in other media. text adventures , point-and-click- and dialog heavy games also face this criticism "why write a book in a video game when books already exist, bahumbug!" or sports/sim games "why make a game simulate something I can do in real life, ugh" or games based in reality "why make a game based on reality, games are for escaping reality, blah"

for some of us, these things add immersion, but for others it's a distraction. can't please everyone. good things there's like, I dunno, a ton of choices in games, so just pick ones that please you?

Depth of field is almost exclusively used in film as a tool to tell the viewer what they should be focused on with about the only exception being artistic use of bokeh but even then anything in focus is still what you're supposed to be looking at so it's more of an additional reason than an alternate. There's plenty of reason to use it in cutscenes but the only game I can think of that used it positively in gameplay was LA Noire when you're inspecting clues and it helps that it's used in a fixed perspective that avoids many of the issues with using DOF in an interactive environment.

I get that there's artistic reasons for using film grain but it's an artistic choice that I haven't agreed with yet. From my perspective it's imitating a flaw in the medium that was available at the time and that newer filmmakers generally tend to avoid, it's like adding tape hiss to a new music recording.

because games allow you to do things like in other media. text adventures , point-and-click- and dialog heavy games also face this criticism "why write a book in a video game when books already exist, bahumbug!" or sports/sim games "why make a game simulate something I can do in real life, ugh" or games based in reality "why make a game based on reality, games are for escaping reality, blah"

for some of us, these things add immersion, but for others it's a distraction. can't please everyone. good things there's like, I dunno, a ton of choices in games, so just pick ones that please you?
Realism adds to immersion. Not film camera effects like chromatic aberration and motion blur. It's fine if you like these things or like a cinematic style. However, PC gamers in particular seem to have nothing but disdain for these types of effects leading many if not most of us to turn this shit off before we even play the game. It varies by the game as some of them are more intrusive than others in their implementation. For example, chromatic aberration, depth of field etc. are horrendously obnoxious in Cyberpunk 2077.

See I’d joke that they’ll pivot it to be “meta verse” to get another 5 years out of it but the shysters are ahead of me already

Reactions: Youn
like this
Back