Star Citizen and Squadron 42 are still years from launch, CIG confirms

It was worth my $45 just to be a part of this train wreck. I have gotten more enjoyment out of all the SC threads and drama than I have out of most games I pay $45+ for lol.
You might want to purchase Battlefield 2042. From what I heard it's full of jolly.

Thankfully the video card shortage kept me from buying 2042, so at least there is some silver lining to the shortage!

Squadron 42 years in development.

Fun fact: The movie scam you described was also done by everyone’s favorite German “director” Uwe Boll. He took advantage of that system for basically all of his movies, especially the video game ones.

The game has ballooned to a point where no studio is even going to think about touching it. Even if any publisher saw potential in the project, they won’t go anywhere near Roberts, he burned all his bridges in the game industry. EA definitely won’t touch him with a ten foot pole. The game’s early crowd funding success likely would have guaranteed them attention from one of the major publishers, and I’m sure there were even some talks, but I can’t imagine any of them would want to take on risk without demanding a ton of control over the game.
I would expect any studio buying it out would not keep him on in any functional capacity. But I expected the project to go belly up run out of funding then get bought up while CIG was in receivership.

Fun fact: The movie scam you described was also done by everyone’s favorite German “director” Uwe Boll. He took advantage of that system for basically all of his movies, especially the video game ones.
Taking advantage of the system is not a scam in of itself, boll did produce actual movies that were released with the intent of making money and they had german subcontractors working on them.

Maybe I just hate myself, but all this controversy makes me want to actually drop the $40 and give the game a go. I've got all the ships in Elite Dangerous built and engineered the way that I want and finding reasons to log in there are few (for me) so maybe I give SC a go how bad could it be?

Maybe I just hate myself, but all this controversy makes me want to actually drop the $40 and give the game a go. I've got all the ships in Elite Dangerous built and engineered the way that I want and finding reasons to log in there are few (for me) so maybe I give SC a go how bad could it be?
Money better spent would be to pick up Freespace 2, install Freespace Open, and enjoy a real game. It's fun, and you don't reward borderline criminals.

Ive spent about 700 over the last few years on game. I was a STRONG believer in the vision of where this thing was going but NO MORE!

I know the feeling. I am still amazed at the way you can interact with the ships and how their flight dynamics change if you are doing fully loaded cargo runs.

Money better spent would be to pick up Freespace 2, install Freespace Open, and enjoy a real game. It's fun, and you don't reward borderline criminals.
Yeah but I mean at some point you have to respect them for it... I mean the grift has been obvious from the first time they shifted their deadlines, the fact they are still going hard at this point is almost praiseworthy. I mean the audacity of the whole thing, it's like he just slapped his dick on the table and was like "bask in its majesty", I mean it's atrocious, but that confidence.

Taking advantage of the system is not a scam in of itself, boll did produce actual movies that were released with the intent of making money and they had german subcontractors working on them.
To my knowledge he also wasn't using his German investor fund to secure loans like Roberts was. He was at least using the "loop hole" as it was intended hiring actual German companies.. and of course is a German himself. Plenty of countries offer tax breaks to boost their home grown film industries. The german loop holes where more how easy it was to claim the tax rebates with very little actual German film industry connection.

Yep its the same reason people throw themselves on the floor and start shaking at church. Who wants to be the only one who wasn't taken by the spirit ? lol (sorry to anyone reading this that may actually go to a shake on the ground church... your free to do as you will. Oh man I probably just upset you more with the satanist do as thou will thing. Sorry sorry)

reminded me of this classic.

Don't get why Vegas doesn't just make a life size starship and throw in hookers and blow to whales spending money on SC.

You son of a...I'm in!

I've been saying for years they need to make a Space Pimp Yacht with gold toilets and towel racks. Genuine Leather seats, silk sheets and funky beats sound system. They don't listen, clearly too busy updating paint schemes on ships. Heck, just make an OnlyFans version for e-celebs to carry around their supporters as they go from party port to party port across the "Verse".

Hmm, maybe that should be the next marketing target for new whales. Streamers and celebrities.

Freespace2 is one of the best games i have ever played. I haven't played any of the mods, but it was great with a force feedback joystick

To my knowledge he also wasn't using his German investor fund to secure loans like Roberts was. He was at least using the "loop hole" as it was intended hiring actual German companies.. and of course is a German himself. Plenty of countries offer tax breaks to boost their home grown film industries. The german loop holes where more how easy it was to claim the tax rebates with very little actual German film industry connection.
Including my country, I swear it seems like more hollywood products are filmed here than in actual hollywood studios.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
As long as there will be a steady cash-flow there won't be any incentive to finish this anytime soon, instead they'll just keep adding forever new features and shift goal posts. They are living the dream as a game developer, not having to worry about if the funds will run out and have any angry publishers breathing your neck, why would they cut the work short?

Including my country, I swear it seems like more hollywood products are filmed here than in actual hollywood studios.
Seems to be the way its been going for 20 years now. They film where they get the best tax breaks. Or grants. I'm Canadian we attract lots of production here with free money. Lots of thanks to the Canadian film board/Quebec film/BC arts council ect in hollywood credits.

Ive spent about 700 over the last few years on game. I was a STRONG believer in the vision of where this thing was going but NO MORE!

Where is the refund button ffs. Biggest rip off ponzi ive ever seen. This might make Bernie Madoff look like shop lifting bubble gum. Ok maybe not that bad, but hey at least they have a lot of bugs and crashes we can try out and enjoy the variety of different game breaking mechanics in this now 10+ year long Alpha stage game.

Ebay might get some nice ships soon for sale i.e. my Cutlass Black, Sabre, C7 Hercules, Gladius, and more .....
Let me have your gladius :)

Your frustration is totally understandable. If my account wasnt free I'd feel the same way. Coming into this 10 years after the kickstarter insulates me from the previous nonsense.

Let me have your gladius :)

Your frustration is totally understandable. If my account wasnt free I'd feel the same way. Coming into this 10 years after the kickstarter insulates me from the previous nonsense.
We should note this post. For when someone posts... "Coming into this 15 years after the kickstarter and 3 years since the announced Squad 42 Trilogy insulates me from the previous nonsense. "
It would be nice to refer them to your post.

Has he, though, outside of Lineage? The Ultima series gets a lot of praise, but were they really big sellers?
Not sure many of the early Ultima games where massive sellers... but they where all decent.
I would say the franchises best years in the early 90s had little to do with Garriott... and only actually happened because Warren Spector championed things like ultima underworld.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_Underworld:_The_Stygian_Abyss
Just read the development section on the games wiki... Garriott wrote it off, Spector saw something in it and jumped in half way through to push it forward and get it out. Underworld sold half a million copies not bad for the early 90s. (to tie this in to the topic.... I read another story years ago that when the programmers where showing off the tech for underworld (texture mapping) Spector right away said this is insane its going to change gaming... and Roberts reaction was ya whatever, he didn't think it was worth anything)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_Underworld_II:_Labyrinth_of_Worlds
Spector pushed them to get the sequel done in 9 months.

I would say almost all the other ultima games are over rated... but someone reading this would probably want to fight me for saying so. lol IMO the two best Ultima games had nothing to do with Garriott at all... the team that made Underworld and then Underworld II made System Shock right after, as they where burned out on making D&D type games.

We can still add to the sales figures I guess...
https://www.gog.com/game/ultima_underworld_1_2

Or if you want to keep i in the (Roberts) family, there is always Freelancer. MyAbandonware provides the official Microsoft No CD patch, and they have hacked their way around the game DRM (no longer supported by Windows).

There are mods to repalace the "no longer active" name server, and the last time I checked (2017), there were still people playing online!

Has he, though, outside of Lineage? The Ultima series gets a lot of praise, but were they really big sellers?
Wikipedia says the series sold over 2 million copies. And there was Ultima Online, which, apparently, still exists! It had 250K subscribers at it's peak, before WoW came along and stole all the oxygen.

Not sure many of the early Ultima games where massive sellers... but they where all decent.
I would say the franchises best years in the early 90s had little to do with Garriott... and only actually happened because Warren Spector championed things like ultima underworld.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_Underworld:_The_Stygian_Abyss
Just read the development section on the games wiki... Garriott wrote it off, Spector saw something in it and jumped in half way through to push it forward and get it out. Underworld sold half a million copies not bad for the early 90s. (to tie this in to the topic.... I read another story years ago that when the programmers where showing off the tech for underworld (texture mapping) Spector right away said this is insane its going to change gaming... and Roberts reaction was ya whatever, he didn't think it was worth anything)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_Underworld_II:_Labyrinth_of_Worlds
Spector pushed them to get the sequel done in 9 months.

I would say almost all the other ultima games are over rated... but someone reading this would probably want to fight me for saying so. lol IMO the two best Ultima games had nothing to do with Garriott at all... the team that made Underworld and then Underworld II made System Shock right after, as they where burned out on making D&D type games.

We can still add to the sales figures I guess...
https://www.gog.com/game/ultima_underworld_1_2

I never liked Wolfenstein: Lord British Edition. Ultima 7 was by far the bestest.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
I never liked Wolfenstein: Lord British Edition. Ultima 7 was by far the bestest.
The lord British edition did predate wolf though. :p
For all the love ID gets they where beat there by looking glass (blue sky at the time). I guess the fact it wasn't spread like wild fire as shareware accounts for why ID gets all the praise for inventing 3D gaming.

Still have my original $35 package for SC, but haven't really tried out the game (What there is of it yet) in a while. Last time i tried it, i did enjoy it, but as people said, ED does the same thing for far less money.
If he can put in everything that was promised, he could have a game that will be remembered for years, but most likely as someone said, he'll start losing subscribers, put out something quick, then come out a few years later with "Star Citizen 2" the game that the 1rst should of been, but for a generous kickstarter donation, can be yours! (But it will be a few years till it's done though, so keep donating! :whistle:)

Still have my original $35 package for SC, but haven't really tried out the game (What there is of it yet) in a while. Last time i tried it, i did enjoy it, but as people said, ED does the same thing for far less money.
If he can put in everything that was promised, he could have a game that will be remembered for years, but most likely as someone said, he'll start losing subscribers, put out something quick, then come out a few years later with "Star Citizen 2" the game that the 1rst should of been, but for a generous kickstarter donation, can be yours! (But it will be a few years till it's done though, so keep donating! :whistle:)
Can Elite Dangerous become Star Citizen before Star Citizen can become Star Citizen?

Can Elite Dangerous become Star Citizen before Star Citizen can become Star Citizen?

Probably. I have forgotten Star Citizen even exists and only remember because of excellent threads like this one here. :) It is a damn shame, too, because he made fantastic games with the Wing Commander Series, back in the 90's. I believe almost all of the initial support and response was people were hoping for a Wing Commander like experience and now we have nothing but what I consider to be a scam.

I made a couple hundred bucks off the rabid morons that love this scam. Bought into the hype a long time ago, then sold all my fancy packages with a hefty profit ($300-$400) 2 years later lol.

I kept a basic ship package just incase and honestly I hope all the idiots that keep dumping hundreds into this "game" get what they are after. I'm not holding my breath that CIG will ever release a full proper game from this, but I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

Don't get why Vegas doesn't just make a life size starship and throw in hookers and blow to whales spending money on SC.

Reading the backstory from ChadD on Chris Roberts, I'm waiting for The Wolf Of Street movie of this. It'd be hilarious if Chris Roberts first started the SC kickstarter as a con to get money to make more movies, then after making more than asked conned himself to think he can actually make all of his BS. Hero worship is a hell of a drug it seems.

You son of a...I'm in!

I've been saying for years they need to make a Space Pimp Yacht with gold toilets and towel racks. Genuine Leather seats, silk sheets and funky beats sound system. They don't listen, clearly too busy updating paint schemes on ships. Heck, just make an OnlyFans version for e-celebs to carry around their supporters as they go from party port to party port across the "Verse".

Hmm, maybe that should be the next marketing target for new whales. Streamers and celebrities.
You guys thinking small, in Vegas we think ahead. I present to you the MSG Sphere! All these SC fans can come and visit this venue that's the size of a massive asteroid!

6a9c824b-4e9c-43b5-88e6-91a8936a11e8-large16x9_MSGSphere1.jpeg
populous-las-vegas-london-sphere-venue-arena-dezeen-sq2.png

You guys thinking small, in Vegas we think ahead. I present to you the MSG Sphere! All these SC fans can come and visit this venue that's the size of a massive asteroid!
Hmm, 1.8 Billion to build. Got to give Chris Roberts some credit, selling jpgs seems a lot more profitable. I wonder how hiring/performance reviews go for developers at CIG, like do they get bonuses for not meeting deadlines?

Don't. They have week long freeplay events regularly. Try it for free then. What there is, currently is fun enough.

Don't... SC has regular free play weekends for you to try it, and if you are looking for a replacement for Elite Dangerous then No Man's Sky may be a good replacement.

Last edited:
Back