Star Citizen and Squadron 42 are still years from launch, CIG confirms

Do they have something playable... yes amazingly. However just ask yourself when your logged in. Is this a 400 million dollar game. lol 50x the budget of Elite dangerous... or put another way the games development so far has cost more then every single Grand theft auto game ever made combined. Probably cost more then every final fantasy game ever made combined as well... or at best around the same. lol

Think about it... they have had 0.4 BILLION dollars given to them, GIVEN no interest no repayment nothing, they where gifted damn near half a billion dollars at this point. We could have crowdfunded 5% of the james web instead. We could have crowd funded 5 falcon heavy launches and filled them with action figures just to watch them float away in the path of the Chinese space station for giggles.

Taking 400 million and giving 10 million of it to some kids to make a game doesn't make it any less a scam. lol

Don't forget that Roberts told everyone that 1 dollar to him was like 4 or 5 dollars to a regular studio because they don't have the publisher overhead, so that 400 million should really produce a game that is equivalent to a 2 billion dollar game.

At this point people should just be looking at what enjoyment they can get out of the game now and if they like to gamble they can bet on the future.
Is the game incomplete and full of game breaking bugs? Yes. A "wish list" that gets bumped 6 months every patch release? Definitely.

However, I can also say that I have spent >100 hours with a couple of friends having a ton of fun.
I've gotten more value for my money from Star Citizen verses buying Battlefield 2042. Bad example? Maybe. But when many games cost $60-70 at launch and have little replay value a $45 ante into Star Citizen isn't too bad.
I wouldn't recommend it to 99% of people out there - yet.

Then again, right before this I played quite a bit of Tarkov, so perhaps I was just used to dying for no reason and losing everything...

Translation: We need a few more years to scam people out of money, papa needs a new yacht.
That didn't seem to workout to well for Elizabeth Holmes however unlike her they at least got some product that scratch some folks itch.

At this point people should just be looking at what enjoyment they can get out of the game now and if they like to gamble they can bet on the future.
Is the game incomplete and full of game breaking bugs? Yes. A "wish list" that gets bumped 6 months every patch release? Definitely.

However, I can also say that I have spent >100 hours with a couple of friends having a ton of fun.
I've gotten more value for my money from Star Citizen verses buying Battlefield 2042. Bad example? Maybe. But when many games cost $60-70 at launch and have little replay value a $45 ante into Star Citizen isn't too bad.

Then again, right before this I played quite a bit of Tarkov, so perhaps I was just used to dying for no reason and losing everything...

This is probably the best approach, I wish I could say the same. I didn't buy the game but have approached it on a few of their free weekends and due to glitches and bugs I've never been able to do more than wander around the station and get stuck.

Also a lot of people are calling SC a scam, which I share the thought however on the flipside they ARE working on the game and they ARE doing things with it. I mean Roberts if he WAS a con-man you'd think he'd take the money and bounce but the project is still out there so obviously something is being done...
That is what Microsoft said before giving him 30 million for digital Anvil. They been working on Freelancer for years... and he says they are almost ready to ship. Couldn't possibly be full of shit right ? :)
This is just another version of his movie scam. The movie scam was simple the German Government offered tax breaks for movie investments that where intended to shelter German made movies from losses. The Fund managers used loop holes to get those credits doing the bare min in Germany (like hiring a bull shit German based international distributer for the film ect) The thing was they made more money through those funds and loans and insurence on those by loosing money then making it. So they took B movie crap most of the time... and dragged production out as long as possible (skimming hiring their own companies to do X or Y... hiring family for multiple positions ect ect) the idea was to balloon the budget to a point where the film was no doubt going to loose money. It didn't matter it would fail and they would end up making a ton of money... thanks to the German tax code everyone was happy. The only way that was sustainable was finding the next project to start spending money on before the old project ticked a tax season. As long as new investors where coming in for the next big loss it kept working.

Same thing with SC... it will keep working as long as people keep shoveling money at him. (and this scam is so much better as the money is free... no interest no repayment no need for insurence ect ect) Make no doubt Roberts has hired his family (he has) and is paying them handsomely for doing nothing. He has outsourced things to companies he owns. As long as people keep donating he will keep spending a token amount on "development" while keeping himself his brother, his wife and his numbered companies well employed.

My post from the SC thread the other day:

Guys it doesn't matter I had a lot of fun telling people how rich Madoff was gonna make me, for hours on end. I got my money's worth even if I was still literally scammed.

Luckily I got bought out by a die hard friend 7 years ago for the ~$200 or so package I bought when I saw after 2 years myself, that shit was a cluster of incompetence and people ignorantly/blissfully wasting money to 'keep the party going'

I'd have done a credit card charge back or something to get my money back, other than trying to rationalize getting ripped off to myself

Yeah, I mean if he bounced that would be the end of that. No more money coming in. Just keep the game in development indefinitely, and money will keep coming. Until one day the backers might finally figure out they were had.

Yeah, I mean if he bounced that would be the end of that. No more money coming in. Just keep the game in development indefinitely, and money will keep coming. Until one day the backers might finally figure out they were had.

Some of the whales are in too deep to admit they were wrong, they'll go broke giving Roberts all their money first before any self reflection and course correction.

Some of the whales are in too deep to admit they were wrong, they'll go broke giving Roberts all their money first before any self reflection and course correction.
Yep its the same reason people throw themselves on the floor and start shaking at church. Who wants to be the only one who wasn't taken by the spirit ? lol (sorry to anyone reading this that may actually go to a shake on the ground church... your free to do as you will. Oh man I probably just upset you more with the satanist do as thou will thing. Sorry sorry)

Don't get why Vegas doesn't just make a life size starship and throw in hookers and blow to whales spending money on SC.

Reading the backstory from ChadD on Chris Roberts, I'm waiting for The Wolf Of Street movie of this. It'd be hilarious if Chris Roberts first started the SC kickstarter as a con to get money to make more movies, then after making more than asked conned himself to think he can actually make all of his BS. Hero worship is a hell of a drug it seems.

So what engine will CIG pivot to before then? I'm sure their rendering engine will no longer looks so impressive by the time 2027 rolls around. As if the game will actually be ready at that point to begin with :ROFLMAO:
Oh, I'm sure Roberts will demand it; it's his MO that he will *never* release unless perfection is obtained.

Don't get why Vegas doesn't just make a life size starship and throw in hookers and blow to whales spending money on SC.

Reading the backstory from ChadD on Chris Roberts, I'm waiting for The Wolf Of Street movie of this. It'd be hilarious if Chris Roberts first started the SC kickstarter as a con to get money to make more movies, then after making more than asked conned himself to think he can actually make all of his BS. Hero worship is a hell of a drug it seems.
For 400 million could probably afford a few celebrity cameos in those whale gratification cabins. Plenty of canceled celebs looking for work. lol

I'd watch it.

Epitome of scope creep.
I humbly submit the B-1A and the eventual B-1B in place of Star Citizen. This is potato chips money. Honorable mention to the Bradley Fighting Vehicle, the F35, I could keep going.

Last edited:
It was worth my $45 just to be a part of this train wreck. I have gotten more enjoyment out of all the SC threads and drama than I have out of most games I pay $45+ for lol.
I'm pretty sure that I'm enjoying the drama more having not payed into it than if I had.

The player base is quite small. Roughly 3000 players only. This game has some serious whales if the numbers are real.
which makes me not want to actually play it should it launch, what kind of advantage does that give them out the gate, the game's gone P2W before it's even out and that's kind of rough.

The silence from the SC defense force is deafening, makes me think this project is about to come to a sale.
Honestly I've been expecting somebody like EA to buy it for a long time so they can wrap it up take the undelivered items and use them for future expansions and just get it out the door as some sort of MMO

This game is actually a ton of fun. My cousin gave me a kickstarter account recently (i thought it was a scam too lol) and playing it changed my mind. The ship buying thing is still shady though, but the persistent universe has potential to be incredible if they ever finish it.
The actual universe is still expanding, therefore unfinished. They should just release the game.

I'm waiting for them to move the goal post again by saying, "We are switching game engines to harness the metaverse, moving the completion date to be in concert with the colonization of Mars."

Last edited:
Squadron 42 could be possible in 2 years, Star Citizen will need at least 10-15 more at it's current pace. Chris Roberts is incapable of finishing a project without someone riding herd on him. He either does not have anyone above him, or no one above him willing to reign him in. CR needs to step aside and hire someone actually capable of finishing a project.

Then again, with the gravy still rolling in from ship sales, they may have no reason to ever finish. The game is playable and fun in it's current state most of the time. A lot of the things needed to reign in the gankers and the gank groups is not yet present in game, so they can be annoying, but it's not usually too bad.

I'm excited to watch this train go off rails.
Why? How does it's failure benefit you? Amusement? Schadenfreude? Do you have an issue with the funding model used? I could not fault you for that last one. I certainly don't much like the idea of people being able to buy an Idris for cash, and the very idea that you can spend $40K on the Legatus Pack in this game is off putting to me as well.

I was part of the kick starter for both this game and Elite Dangerous, I definitely got my money's worth out of Elite Dangerous. (4K+ hours worth). I have a couple hundred or so hours in Star Citizen, so even if they never finish, I think I got my $65 worth there as well. That said, I don't think it's going to fail any time soon myself. They just had another record funding year.

Last edited:
I backed this game for Squadron 42. I give two shits about the persistent online world, motion cap studio, or whatever other shit they purchased to help facilitate “development” of this game.

Just let it die

To repeat what others have said, “I’ve had more fun/gotten more for my money on Elite Dangerous.”

Squadron 42 years in development.

That is what Microsoft said before giving him 30 million for digital Anvil. They been working on Freelancer for years... and he says they are almost ready to ship. Couldn't possibly be full of shit right ? :)
This is just another version of his movie scam. The movie scam was simple the German Government offered tax breaks for movie investments that where intended to shelter German made movies from losses. The Fund managers used loop holes to get those credits doing the bare min in Germany (like hiring a bull shit German based international distributer for the film ect) The thing was they made more money through those funds and loans and insurence on those by loosing money then making it. So they took B movie crap most of the time... and dragged production out as long as possible (skimming hiring their own companies to do X or Y... hiring family for multiple positions ect ect) the idea was to balloon the budget to a point where the film was no doubt going to loose money. It didn't matter it would fail and they would end up making a ton of money... thanks to the German tax code everyone was happy. The only way that was sustainable was finding the next project to start spending money on before the old project ticked a tax season. As long as new investors where coming in for the next big loss it kept working.

Same thing with SC... it will keep working as long as people keep shoveling money at him. (and this scam is so much better as the money is free... no interest no repayment no need for insurence ect ect) Make no doubt Roberts has hired his family (he has) and is paying them handsomely for doing nothing. He has outsourced things to companies he owns. As long as people keep donating he will keep spending a token amount on "development" while keeping himself his brother, his wife and his numbered companies well employed.
Fun fact: The movie scam you described was also done by everyone’s favorite German “director” Uwe Boll. He took advantage of that system for basically all of his movies, especially the video game ones.

Honestly I've been expecting somebody like EA to buy it for a long time so they can wrap it up take the undelivered items and use them for future expansions and just get it out the door as some sort of MMO

The game has ballooned to a point where no studio is even going to think about touching it. Even if any publisher saw potential in the project, they won’t go anywhere near Roberts, he burned all his bridges in the game industry. EA definitely won’t touch him with a ten foot pole. The game’s early crowd funding success likely would have guaranteed them attention from one of the major publishers, and I’m sure there were even some talks, but I can’t imagine any of them would want to take on risk without demanding a ton of control over the game.

So, this thread made me decide to go back to my account just to see how things had progressed. I was an early backer, did not spend a lot, got a base game and one ship. When I logged into my account I can go see my ship and that is it. They are telling me I need to spend more money for a proper game account.

Ive spent about 700 over the last few years on game. I was a STRONG believer in the vision of where this thing was going but NO MORE!

Where is the refund button ffs. Biggest rip off ponzi ive ever seen. This might make Bernie Madoff look like shop lifting bubble gum. Ok maybe not that bad, but hey at least they have a lot of bugs and crashes we can try out and enjoy the variety of different game breaking mechanics in this now 10+ year long Alpha stage game.

Ebay might get some nice ships soon for sale i.e. my Cutlass Black, Sabre, C7 Hercules, Gladius, and more .....

I think they had a smart lawyer write up the agreement you sign when you buy in that says you are donating money to the cause and are not guaranteed anything.

They actually did this well after the original Kickstarter to prevent more people from cashing out.

It was worth my $45 just to be a part of this train wreck. I have gotten more enjoyment out of all the SC threads and drama than I have out of most games I pay $45+ for lol.

This. I've spent more money getting lesser enjoyment out of things. I've basically spent $40 on something like 7 years of these threads. And many years to come. Makes $20 for a movie theater ticket sound like a ripoff.

They actually did this well after the original Kickstarter to prevent more people from cashing out.

This. I've spent more money getting lesser enjoyment out of things. I've basically spent $40 on something like 7 years of these threads. And many years to come. Makes $20 for a movie theater ticket sound like a ripoff.

$20 for a movie theater ticket? You sound like the person that would buy SC. :D

Jas kidding....hope it was one with nice reclining lounge chairs!

Many things which exist only in our imagination are incredible. Personally, I like dragons.

Then you'd probably have enjoyed Richard Garriott's foray into a similar scheme with Shroud of the Avatar where he was selling skins, cosmetics and yes, really, vials of his own blood for $5000 a pop.

$20 for a movie theater ticket? You sound like the person that would buy SC. :D

Jas kidding....hope it was one with nice reclining lounge chairs!
I haven't been to the theater in forever. I think my local small town theater is like $7. But the bigger cities are pretty ridiculous for prime time showings iirc.

Why? How does it's failure benefit you? Amusement? Schadenfreude? Do you have an issue with the funding model used? I could not fault you for that last one. I certainly don't much like the idea of people being able to buy an Idris for cash, and the very idea that you can spend $40K on the Legatus Pack in this game is off putting to me as well.

I was part of the kick starter for both this game and Elite Dangerous, I definitely got my money's worth out of Elite Dangerous. (4K+ hours worth). I have a couple hundred or so hours in Star Citizen, so even if they never finish, I think I got my $65 worth there as well. That said, I don't think it's going to fail any time soon myself. They just had another record funding year.

1. Being right from the beginning about this scheme.

2. Not my fault idiots don't learn from the past, CR's MO has been pretty darn clear for a long long time.

3. Maybe people will learn this time, maybe.

4. hopefully this will bring reforms to the crowd funding model, its a bad model with zero protections for the backers.

Back