Star Citizen Alpha 3.3 Update Is Out

I thought Squadron 42 was supposed to be the main game, and they were going to keep expanding the universe off S42.
That's what I said.
The odd thing to me about all this is why the fuck does RSI need Mark Hamill and Henry Cavill among others? I mean, the amount of money that must be being spent to get them into the game must be insane. There are plenty of other actors they could have gotten into the game that are likely just as good and cost a fraction of what it cost to get them. Not to mention that it's strange having such big name actors in a game. It takes out of the experience imo.
I can understand hamill, with the history they have. But fucking superman? I don't think he was even any good at that.

Yet you saw the article, clicked it, then commented. Thus providing [H] with additional data that articles relating to star citizen get clicks and comments. Just saying, you are feeding the popularity of this by saying you don't follow it. :)

>implying people actually read the articles before commenting

Whew lad!

No, Star Citizen was always the main effort. Being a MMORPG. That is what everyone is buying ships for. Squadron 42 is a single player distraction as far as I am concerned.

I thought Squadron 42 was supposed to be the main game, and they were going to keep expanding the universe off S42.

The odd thing to me about all this is why the fuck does RSI need Mark Hamill and Henry Cavill among others? I mean, the amount of money that must be being spent to get them into the game must be insane. There are plenty of other actors they could have gotten into the game that are likely just as good and cost a fraction of what it cost to get them. Not to mention that it's strange having such big name actors in a game. It takes out of the experience imo.

Technically, both were part of the original plan. However, Squadron 42 was billed as the first goal and the persistent universe being something that would be developed if the funds were there to do so. It was supposed to have seamless integration with SQ42 and make use of the assets and basic technologies developed for that game. Its readily apparent that the huge initial influx of cash pushed them well past the required funds to create SQ42 and the persistent universe became the main goal practically from the start.

Technically, both were part of the original plan. However, Squadron 42 was billed as the first goal and the persistent universe being something that would be developed if the funds were there to do so. It was supposed to have seamless integration with SQ42 and make use of the assets and basic technologies developed for that game. Its readily apparent that the huge initial influx of cash pushed them well past the required funds to create SQ42 and the persistent universe became the main goal practically from the start.

Exactly. They said they'd make SQ42 and when that's finished and the funding allows it they'd work on the persistent universe and you could go between the two seamlessly.

Scully!

I'd buy and play Squadron 42. Once it's an actual game to buy and play. Not before.

You might be waiting another five years. They barely have the AI working at this point. And there's a whole lot more to a single-player game that just AI.

We're not critical of the game as-envisioned. We're critical of the shit management. Which is why we're constantly comparing with other companies that actually ship games without any massive donations from True Believers to keep the lights on for six years

Last edited:
So anyone know if this thing has a release date? I got/registered a free ship as a promo with my R9-290 and SC had already been "out" some time already....

I'm still interested, but not in playing alpha quality software. Is it still going to be playable at 60fps+1080p on an R9 290 when it will be released?

all the donation money wasted on star actors salary for a couple minutes of cut scenes....idiotic choice, then comes the cash shop and Pay2Win to kill the game

Reactions: Meeho
like this
The only time I want to see a celebrity in a game is if the game is specifically about them or their role.
ie Terminator & Schwarzenegger
What they are doing doesnt appeal even slightly.

Rather than joining the brave men and women of the 2nd fleet, you will be joining the brave who are pumping Chris Roberts lifestyle.
Its a constant moneygrab and waste.

Yeah I see enough of these douche bags in movies. I hate seeing the same face over and over again, takes from the immersion and is really a shortcoming of movie making. One of the few things games had over movies, each character could look different. Last thing I want to see is these assholes names popping up in the intro as if it were a movie. I'm here for the immersion/story, not for some actor.

Bleh... I bought into the madness a few years back. Got over 5-6K USD worth in virtual space ships. TBH, actual value of that bullshit should only be 1/10 of what the "pledges" sell for. (that's what they are... pledges of money.. not ship purchases.)

It's not good when a sizeable part of their backers are constantly worried about being scammed.

I mean... each year they make cooler looking space ships and worlds, etc.. But I know that selling copies of virtual space ships for hundreds of dollars is several times more profitable than actually selling copies of the game. That is the problem.. There's no rush for them to complete it because the money from not completing is just too damned good. Completing it would remove the main reason for people to continue "pledging" too...

Sometimes I wonder if I joined a cult or something. LOL.

Glad to see another incremental update along side with a multi hundred dollar ship.

Gives me hope the game will soon be finished!!! /s

Welp looks like I’ll still be playing elite dangerous.

I don't think it's a farce, I do think they are actively developing a game. The problem is the massive scope and feature creep that keeps happening. They haven't set a minimum feature release as far as I know so it could end up being another 3-4 years.

If you look at other large AAA title games though, they have long development times as well. SC has been in dev what, like 5-6 years now? Some titles were in development for 8 years before release so they're really not that far behind. They've just been hyped up too high for too long so it makes it seem like it's taking forever.

I don't think it's a farce, I do think they are actively developing a game. The problem is the massive scope and feature creep that keeps happening. They haven't set a minimum feature release as far as I know so it could end up being another 3-4 years.

If you look at other large AAA title games though, they have long development times as well. SC has been in dev what, like 5-6 years now? Some titles were in development for 8 years before release so they're really not that far behind. They've just been hyped up too high for too long so it makes it seem like it's taking forever.

Call it a retrospect perspective, hindsight being 20/20, but if they'd taken an episodic approach they might be on the other side of the wall of criticism today.

The difference between a product and vaporware being a shipping final product and all, they're still solidly in the vaporware column. Playable tech demos are fun, but they're not a full product for an episode let alone a AAA-title.

Exactly. They said they'd make SQ42 and when that's finished and the funding allows it they'd work on the persistent universe and you could go between the two seamlessly.
And I want it more than an MMO.

That said, the trailer looks cool, but until there's a release date, it's just vaporware to me. And even then, I wont' bite until it's released and I see solid reviews. How long has it been now? 5 years? Oops no 7 years. Sheesh.

I want to check it out when it's released, but I'm not pledging or pre-ordering jack shit.

Good to see ol Colonel Blair suited up again.

You definitely have to take everything they say regarding timelines with a grain of salt (or the whole shaker), they are however making progress. How much is left? Who knows, they keep adding

You definitely have to take everything they say regarding timelines with a grain of salt (or the whole shaker), they are however making progress. How much is left? Who knows, they keep adding

"Progress."

All I saw ws a bungled tech demo. The AI did zero interactions with anyone, and they just wandered around doing various predefined animations.

IF management actually cared about creating a functional game, there's a very simple thing here, called "turn off the animations that re currently glitching for the demo." But they didn't even take the time to make a list of buggy animations - they just showed the shit in it's entirety.

IF management doesn't care enough to highlight and eliminate THAT MANY OBVIOUS bugs from the demo, there's no hope for this Tech Demo ever becoming an actual playable game.
That is the first thing you learn as a successful developer: bug tracking is EVERYTHING. and it's especially eassy to do with a fixed demo like this.

Good software management is aggressive about bugs, not just making fucking excuses "ignore the ai bugs". I'm really glad I don't work in such a shitty company.

You can quit making excuses for your New Religion any time now.

Pledged. Not worried. If a competing multiplayer space combat game comes along and releases before it, then I'd be disappointed. Until then, the only thing different about the time sc has been in development and any other massive game on this scale is that it is far more transparent.

In the mean time we have nms, ed, and the x series to be depressed about

s5eoih.gif

Pledged. Not worried. If a competing multiplayer space combat game comes along and releases before it, then I'd be disappointed. Until then, the only thing different about the time sc has been in development and any other massive game on this scale is that it is far more transparent.

In the mean time we have nms, ed, and the x series to be depressed about
Transparently corrupt? It's at least 4 years late and they're not even in Beta! Put in perspective, GTA V took 5 years to develop, including early R&D...the full on development was 3 years.
I'm a huge fan of WC and remember being tempted by the kickstarter, but forgot about it. NEver have I been so happy to be a procrastinator. Hopefully I'll be if/when it's released.

"Progress."

All I saw ws a bungled tech demo. The AI did zero interactions with anyone, and they just wandered around doing various predefined animations.

IF management actually cared about creating a functional game, there's a very simple thing here, called "turn off the animations that re currently glitching for the demo." But they didn't even take the time to make a list of buggy animations - they just showed the shit in it's entirety.

IF management doesn't care enough to highlight and eliminate THAT MANY OBVIOUS bugs from the demo, there's no hope for this Tech Demo ever becoming an actual playable game.
That is the first thing you learn as a successful developer: bug tracking is EVERYTHING. and it's especially eassy to do with a fixed demo like this.

Good software management is aggressive about bugs, not just making fucking excuses "ignore the ai bugs". I'm really glad I don't work in such a shitty company.

You can quit making excuses for your New Religion any time now.

New Religion? I think you've got the wrong guy. If anything I'm not the one who sounds like they are super polarized on this game

Call it a retrospect perspective, hindsight being 20/20, but if they'd taken an episodic approach they might be on the other side of the wall of criticism today.

The difference between a product and vaporware being a shipping final product and all, they're still solidly in the vaporware column. Playable tech demos are fun, but they're not a full product for an episode let alone a AAA-title.

SQ42 Is episodic. There's like 3 chapters or something and it looks like you don't get all the episode even if you back early so you have to pay for chapter 3.

Back