Star Citizen Alpha 3.3 Update Is Out

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Roberts Space Industries launched the Star Citizen Alpha 3.3 update. Among other things, the update features long awaited performance improvements, AI controlled enemies, in game chat that can map your facial features with a camera, and as always, new ships to buy. The company showed off some footage of the new alpha at CitizenCon 2018. Meanwhile, RSI also uploaded a new trailer for the Squadron 42, featuring Mark Hamill, Henry Cavill, and other high profile stars. Squadron 42, a spinoff of the main game, is supposed to get an offical roadmap in December.

Check out the trailer here.

Join the brave men and women of the 2nd Fleet as they stand strong against the greatest threats the UEE has ever faced. Will you answer the call?

I thought Star Citizen was supposed to be the spinoff of squadron 42.

No, Star Citizen was always the main effort. Being a MMORPG. That is what everyone is buying ships for. Squadron 42 is a single player distraction as far as I am concerned.

I thought Star Citizen was supposed to be the spinoff of squadron 42.

I thought Squadron 42 was supposed to be the main game, and they were going to keep expanding the universe off S42.

The odd thing to me about all this is why the fuck does RSI need Mark Hamill and Henry Cavill among others? I mean, the amount of money that must be being spent to get them into the game must be insane. There are plenty of other actors they could have gotten into the game that are likely just as good and cost a fraction of what it cost to get them. Not to mention that it's strange having such big name actors in a game. It takes out of the experience imo.

I thought Squadron 42 was supposed to be the main game, and they were going to keep expanding the universe off S42.

The odd thing to me about all this is why the fuck does RSI need Mark Hamill and Henry Cavill among others? I mean, the amount of money that must be being spent to get them into the game must be insane. There are plenty of other actors they could have gotten into the game that are likely just as good and cost a fraction of what it cost to get them. Not to mention that it's strange having such big name actors in a game. It takes out of the experience imo.
Goes back to Wing Commander, if you go back to the early SQ42 info Mark really wanted to be a part of this as well as the others. I might be wrong but I don't think it cost them that much for the actors.

The man always knew how to make a trailer. It's a damn shame there isn't an executive there to ride his ass until he actually ships something. I know we all hate the 'patch 1' problem that plagues current AAA titles but at least they are capitalizing on their customers' interest.

Mark Hamill tweeted about it and people were like, "What is this CGI show and how can I view it on Netflix?" I had to LOL pretty hard, you know the Star Citizen guys have been doing great work when that happens. When they first announced the names years ago, I only really knew who Gillian Anderson and Mark Hamill were, most of the others I was like, "Who?" Now I recognize the guy who played Gollum, the guy who played Gimli, the Onion Knight, etc. I think Chris Roberts' movie cred comes to the fore here, he found a ton of older B list celebs who would be affordable and who's careers were about to get better via their other projects, making them more valuable afterwards.

Hadn't played this game yet, mainly because of the controversy revolving around it. Is it worth playing? Is a XBOX controller enough?

"The odd thing to me about all this is why the fuck does RSI need Mark Hamill and Henry Cavill among others?"

Because Christ Robbers wants to be a big shot movie director and not a game developer.

Kind of arguably is though? Lord of War is a great movie and while Outlander is trash, I enjoy the hell out of it regardless.

The only time I want to see a celebrity in a game is if the game is specifically about them or their role.
ie Terminator & Schwarzenegger
What they are doing doesnt appeal even slightly.

Rather than joining the brave men and women of the 2nd fleet, you will be joining the brave who are pumping Chris Roberts lifestyle.
Its a constant moneygrab and waste.

... you will be joining the brave who are pumping Chris Roberts lifestyle.
Its a constant moneygrab and waste.

This is the issue with including the public in the development process, people just don't get it. Would you say the same for CD Projekt and Cyberpunk 2077, which has been in development for a little longer?

The trailer does look good. Will be interesting to see what kind of funding bump it generates.

This is the issue with including the public in the development process, people just don't get it. Would you say the same for CD Projekt and Cyberpunk 2077, which has been in development for a little longer?

CD Projekt didn't take $200M from the public. Also, Cyberpunk will be released within the next year or two. SC/SQ42 isn't even remotely close to any form of release.

No lol. I would not.

I think they would have been wise to develope SQ42 before making an MMO with ever expanding scope. Establish the tech and start up some income. Instead - well, we may not get a decent SP space sim-lite in the vein of FreeSpace 2 ever again.

Roberts Space Industries launched the Star Citizen Alpha 3.3 update. Among other things, the update features long awaited performance improvements, AI controlled enemies, in game chat that can map your facial features with a camera, and as always, new ships to buy. The company showed off some footage of the new alpha at CitizenCon 2018. Meanwhile, RSI also uploaded a new trailer for the Squadron 42, featuring Mark Hamill, Henry Cavill, and other high profile stars. Squadron 42, a spinoff of the main game, is supposed to get an offical roadmap in December.

Check out the trailer here.

Join the brave men and women of the 2nd Fleet as they stand strong against the greatest threats the UEE has ever faced. Will you answer the call?

I will answer the call just as soon as they get out of alpha (and beta) and release a finished game. Not before.

The parroted CDPR talking points come up in every Star citizen thread, even though the situation couldn't be more different. One is publicly funded with zero accountability, the other is a real corporation with accountability to it's stake holders. 'nuff said.

Don't know if you are a fan of MMA, but does the name Kimbo Slice ring a bell? Just in case you don't know, he was an internet sensation who was supposedly a world class fighter. Eventually he was signed to the UFC and what do you know, when he was fighting legit professional fighters instead of some random person at someone's house he got slaughtered.

Comparing RSI, who has no proven track record and is nothing but hype, to CDPR, a known and proven commodity who has put out multiple stellar games, is no different than telling me that Kimbo Slice was gonna go knock Fedor's head off...

I have a feeling this game is going to set some records kind of like how the movie Adventure of Pluto Nash did.

Back