Star Citizen Alpha 3.1.0 Goes Live

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Cloud Imperium Games has announced that Star Citizen’s Alpha Patch 3.1.0 is now available for testing. Some of the new features include a character creator, which allows players to customize their avatar, and custom contracts, for those seeking specific types of assistance. New ships and vehicles include the Aegis Reclaimer, MISC Razor, Anvil Terrapin, Tumbril Cyclone, and Nox Kue.

Patch should now show: LIVE-738964. It is strongly recommended that players delete their USER folder for the Public client after patching, particularly if you start encountering any odd character graphical issues or crash on loading. The USER folder can be found (in default installations) at C:\Program Files\Roberts Space Industries\StarCitizenPTU\LIVE.

The netcode still sucks, and joking with a friend how they will abandon multiplayer and make this single player only.

A new point release (released in line with its projected deadline) that includes more in-game ready to pilot ships not to mention entirely new features still getting shit on by some people. Unbelievable.

A new point release (released in line with its projected deadline) that includes more in-game ready to pilot ships not to mention entirely new features still getting shit on by some people. Unbelievable.
its-a-mystery.jpg

It's the same game released six months ago, with a few tweaks and a few added ships.

At that rate, they'll proudly be releasing ANOTHER MOON, by next year!

So HOW MANY DECADES will it take to add the dozens of systems they promised in their kick starter?

It took them eighteen months to release 3.0, and it's definitely looking like another year for the next big release.

The release rate for new COMPLEX FEATURES is just as slow as it has always been. It doesn't matter that they've promised to do six month smoke screen releases (to pretend more work is getting done).

Last edited:
I thought this ponzi scheme ran its course?
I believe he is perfecting the Ponzi scam. Seems to be working well. Amazing that people are still buying into this bullshit. 4-5 years roughly after it was supposed to be released and they are still in Alpha stage. I bet everyone who buys into this shit is in denial. Kind of like an alcoholic.

Projected deadline... (milestone actually) reminds me of shit project managers I’ve worked with.

Rebaseline the project schedule and then put all your status lights on green. So much fun to be had in keep making them pull out their original project plan.

I don't understand the point of that video. Just seemed to be pictures of ships. I'm not holding my breath on this project, but hey if it comes out and it's good, I'll bite. Till then, I'm holding onto my cash.

They should launch SC on April 1, 202_ then punk everyone and cancel it the next day, leaving an unpolished Alpha in it's wake.

Thousands of dollars, hell....tens of thousands of dollars per backer will buy you a good supply of denial.
Can't they just request a refund? I thought all those purchases were refundable up until the game is released.

Question - is there any ambitious space sim that doesn't get crushed under its own weight? I had a feeling that something like this would happen with SC. Once you've chosen space as your setting, a lot is left to the imagination, and feature creep is pretty much guaranteed. That's why the whole No Man's Sky hype seemed crazy. I couldn't believe that they'd have a large amount of content for a project that seemed extremely large in terms of in-game scope.

Why not just release a more tightly controlled and polished game, with a smaller scope, and add everything else as you go along? With GaaS being inevitable, and the overall gaming community being relatively OK with DLC, a WoW type of approach would've been smarter.

Of course, it could all just be a Ponzi scheme.

Seeing all the work that goes into this, I'm not willing to call it a scam or anything like that. There are MUCH cheaper and easeir ways to LEGALLY scam people for money.

The level of detail that goes into each ship is enough for an entire game. This is no scam, this is overambitious.

How can people keep giving them money?

There are twelve stages, TWELVE. How fucking long can denial last?
For a person who has dropped hundreds—if not thousands—of dollars into pictures of ships, they know they're going to look and feel a fool if the whole thing never comes to fruition.

Question - is there any ambitious space sim that doesn't get crushed under its own weight? I had a feeling that something like this would happen with SC. Once you've chosen space as your setting, a lot is left to the imagination, and feature creep is pretty much guaranteed. That's why the whole No Man's Sky hype seemed crazy. I couldn't believe that they'd have a large amount of content for a project that seemed extremely large in terms of in-game scope.

Why not just release a more tightly controlled and polished game, with a smaller scope, and add everything else as you go along? With GaaS being inevitable, and the overall gaming community being relatively OK with DLC, a WoW type of approach would've been smarter.

Of course, it could all just be a Ponzi scheme.

The last time that happened was Freelancer, and that just happened because Microsoft kicked Chris in the balls and tossed him on the roadside.

Microsoft knows Quality Control and squashing Scope Creep, even if they hire some questionable studios. So once they kicked Chris out they salvaged what was usable from Freelancer, and shat out a serviceable game a year later.

But that will NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN. The space story genre was in it's prime, and major studios wanted a piece...but it only took a decade for the industry to implode on itself (shortly after Freelancer was released)

Today there's still millions to be milked from religious zealots, but nobody with a hint of Project Management would dare touch this mess. They are completely aware of what happened the last time people threw hundreds of millions at this (gamers got bored and moved on).

And without Project Management, you don't have a game. You have a beautiful Tech Demo with never-ending hype creep.

Last edited:
Microsoft the great leader of video game industry!

why xbox is dead? Quality Control? its creepy name?:cautious: Microsoft could buy all game studios. :whistle:

I want Star Citizen and SQ42 to be released, but I'll put up with Elite Dangerous in the meantime.

Microsoft the great leader of video game industry!

why xbox is dead? Quality Control? its creepy name?:cautious: Microsoft could buy all game studios. :whistle:

the Xbox died because Microsoft can't manage their software teams long-term. There's no encouragement for their teams to push boundaries - they just keep shitting out the same game year-after-year until they implode.

But Microsoft can do project management (given a project, they can see it to the end).

They just suck at coming up with UNIQUE new project ideas. Te first-party teams who can afford to leave (Bungie) do so, and everyone else suffers a slow death. And third-party EXCLUSIVE licenses are few and far between (Sunset Overdrive being the lone shining star).

For a person who has dropped hundreds—if not thousands—of dollars into pictures of ships, they know they're going to look and feel a fool if the whole thing never comes to fruition.
They're already looking like fools, they'd just have to admit it as well, which is harder, especially to the self.

I would prefer that...what I really wanted was Squadron 42.
A single player game is what I wanted too. Don't get me wrong, multi-player is nice too, but I'd like the single player game so I can sit on my own and get use to the UI and not be in a rush to keep up with the guys racing to get to the end and be #1. Then when the multi player comes, I'll at least be ready from a UI POV. Frankly, a WC/Privateer combo has a lot of potential for a single player. But I doubt we'll ever see anything at this point, but I'll be thrilled if I have to eat crow.

the Xbox died because Microsoft can't manage their software teams long-term. There's no encouragement for their teams to push boundaries - they just keep shitting out the same game year-after-year until they implode.

But Microsoft can do project management (given a project, they can see it to the end).

They just suck at coming up with UNIQUE new project ideas. Te first-party teams who can afford to leave (Bungie) do so, and everyone else suffers a slow death. And third-party EXCLUSIVE licenses are few and far between (Sunset Overdrive being the lone shining star).

This reminded me of when they bought Access software and Links (a nice golf sim) pretty much died over night. I'm not even sure why they bought Access, given how quickly they killed everything they did. Don't think another version of LInks was released.

They're already looking like fools, they'd just have to admit it as well, which is harder, especially to the self.

Whats foolish, thinking a game of this scope would release in under a decade? They are being very transparent about the process, and a crowdfunded project of this scale has never been attempted. I'm perfectly fine dropping $2k on Star Citizen so far, especially if you manage your expectations. Heck I've dropped more than 2k on weekend vacations. But hey, if you're poor, don't worry, you can hang on to the coat tails of the backers when you buy Star Citizen for $60 in 2022.

In the words of 3LW, "haters gonna hate"

Whats foolish, thinking a game of this scope would release in under a decade? They are being very transparent about the process, and a crowdfunded project of this scale has never been attempted. I'm perfectly fine dropping $2k on Star Citizen so far, especially if you manage your expectations. Heck I've dropped more than 2k on weekend vacations. But hey, if you're poor, don't worry, you can hang on to the coat tails of the backers when you buy Star Citizen for $60 in 2022.

They aren’t being transparent at all, they are pretending to be open and working hard on PDFs and videos to sell ships and hopes. They aren’t showing realistic timelines on a actual schedule, they aren’t letting the stakeholders (you) help drive the project, they aren’t communicating with the community in a useful manner, and they aren’t working to actually finish anything. There is no accountability for them being way behind schedule and not delivering on what they promised the original backers.

What did I just say about looking like fools? Grandstanding not gonna cut it anymore. Not that it would've worked much better 2-3 years ago.
I'm an original backer. I even upgraded my pledge during the second non-kickstarter campaign. Wishful thinking doesn't change the fact that this "game" still looks and plays like a project in the early prototyping phase of development. Which if you're not familiar with development should go no further than the first third of the development. Meaning this game is not even 33% done yet.
Do I want it to be a great game? Hell yes. Do I want it to be released hell yes! But what I want it irrelevant. If reality doesn't agree with your expectations it's not reality that is incorrect.

Back