Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Detailed: "It's the Most Ambitious Game Ever"

There is no reason they cant charge a monthly fee as World of Warcraft has done. I paid mine for 8yrs playing Warcraft, would be happy to pay a monthly sub for star citizen.

I'd rather not have it be a subscription as I wouldn't play it at all. Besides, I'd rather have the option of purchasing some in game items than being forced to pay for something.

I have to admit I'm interested in how it pans out... I was even willing to jump into the bandwagon and buy the starter pack to try it out thinking "hey if I can get all the ships in the game... why not?" but apparently the ships were only to be bought / won / stolen once the game is released...
Does anyone know if that's still the case ? (If so, I would still not buy now and wait for release... I didn't see back then why I would buy the starter ship if others have like an army of those and if the only way, as of today, to get better ships is to shell more money)

They currently have something called REC - that allows you rent some ships and try them out (REC is earned in game)

Also - you might be surprised in the Public Universe how many people will let you use their ships right now anyways

I think he's referring too, them recently adding

LUMBERYARD
VULKEN

Me before they announced dropping DirectX and going 100% Vulkan: "Chris Roberts is a mincing, prancing buffoon who never shipped a game or finished a project without being forcibly removed and someone else brought in to take it over the finish line, and his shrieking fake actress wife's career ambitions are being funded by jpgs of ships".

Me after they announced dropping DirectX for Vulkan: "Take all the time you need, bro".

They are on ALPHA 2.6, and will be updating to ALPHA 3.0. This can easily be seen/read on literally every single thing that has to do with star citizen.

LOL. I guess Star Citizen is so unique, that they don't even follow standard version nomenclature. You see when a program is finalized, it is generally given a 1.0 version. But nope, not Star Citizen. They're already at 3.0...alpha...

If the development team could harvest stupidity and hate then they would have the entire known universe ready for release. You just added another solar system ;)

They knew how to harvest stupidity since the inception of this scam. They harvest fools for money by selling pictures of ships that don't exist for a game that doesn't exist.

Also, I have to laugh at the "Alpha 3.0" comments. What will th e beta be? "Beta 85.5"?

Lately my wife has been dealing with some medical issues and hasn't been able to cook as frequently. So I've been substituting a good meal for work with 3 double cheese burgers from McDonald's and I'm starting to notice the impact it's having on my gut.

How much is 3 of those wonderful grease patties you ask? $5.08 here in Pennsylvania, I guess by your description I'm living high on the hog with such high grade gourmet cuisine.

Would you be eating $5 fast food crap if you were selling pictures of spaceships that do not exist for a game that does not exist and making millions from it? I don't think so.

WTF are you even talking about? If you dont want to purchase something, then dont. Thats it, Done. End. Doesn't matter what game it is.

If something is of no value to you, then.dont.buy.it.

"Spend your money the way I want you to spend your money or I will bitch about it on the internet!"
I was merely pointing out the fact that what you said previously is in no way a rebuttal of what I said.
People also give money to terrorist organizations. That doesn't make them a good practice.
Plus I actually own the game, or the promise of a game at this point.

Funny how I can play with my ship that doesn't exist, in the game that doesn't exist....right now :)

And you know you are scraping the bottom of the barrel when the best argument is the numbering sequence of an alpha. These threads always bring out the stupid, and the best part is they are so eager to point themselves out :)

Now watch as they quote this and prove me right(again).

Who is saying not to talk about it? Oh thats right, no one ever.

If the development team could harvest stupidity and hate then they would have the entire known universe ready for release. You just added another solar system ;)
Then I must not understand you keep telling people who are having a discussion about something not to buy it.

Something about us having discourse that you disagree with bother you?

Then I must not understand

there you go

Bitching(not "discussing") about other people 100% volunteering to spend money in a game that 100% does not require it, is the "discussion" at hand. To which the answer to that is: Don't buy it if you dont think its worth it. I dont see how there can be an easier answer.

But, it seems to anger people greatly that someone would spend their own money on something that brings them joy, and do so completely voluntarily. It's strange.

I spent like $35, some people probably spend 10x easily. It has absolutely no affect on me or you.

And then you have people that dont even know the game is in alpha trying to comment....jesus.

I've got like $100 bucks in this game.
If they give me Squadron 42 and it is as good as Wing Commander and not an abortion like Star Lancer, I will call it good.

I spent like $35, some people probably spend 10x easily. It has absolutely no affect on me or you.

It does have an affect on you. Regardless of the if a game drops micro transactions for a single price product, you are still affected by micro transactions giving those that pay an advantage over you.

As for the rest, a fool and their money.

Also Alpha is not a released game, jesus, all this because the industry found a creative way to get playtesters and their cash prior to a finished released product.

Me before they announced dropping DirectX and going 100% Vulkan: "Chris Roberts is a mincing, prancing buffoon who never shipped a game or finished a project without being forcibly removed and someone else brought in to take it over the finish line, and his shrieking fake actress wife's career ambitions are being funded by jpgs of ships".

Me after they announced dropping DirectX for Vulkan: "Take all the time you need, bro".

That is because you're anti-MS. For everyone else, the main concerns are still there. The API is meaningless. With luck it will end up being a decent game...

Bitching. It's Strange. But my solution is to bitch about people bitching.
Selective quoting is so mature. You may feel we're bitching but trying to derail the conversation doesn't do much for anyone. I didn't realize they made you the mod in charge of SC and deciding whether forum members are bitching. But I get it you have to defend your poor purchase decision. Womp womp. I'm not sure why you seem so dead set on not letting us discuss.

Thank God the paywall is back up in genmay.

The game has been in alpha for a long time, maybe one day it'll hit beta /s

How do you charge money for a subscription to a promise with a straight face?

I figured it out. That's a religion.
They have made so much money on this thing they have little reason to release a game vs just adding more ships while making development slow so they can sell ships longer.

They have made so much money on this thing they have little reason to release a game vs just adding more ships while making development slow so they can sell ships longer.

Have there been anymore ships added recently? Not to my recollection or knowledge, but I don't closely look at all the development updates that are constantly published anymore.

I have been destroyed with logic and reason and have nothing more to add but I'm desperately trying to save face and not be wrong

I'm glad that's out the way and we can get back to the real discussion at hand: People willingly spending their own money and how mad that gets some, and the numbering of the alpha version.

That is because you're anti-MS. For everyone else, the main concerns are still there. The API is meaningless. With luck it will end up being a decent game...
How dare you. The API is everything, honey. I know it's hard to see or appreciate beyond the little bubble of the here and now.

Vulkan is the future and survival of PC gaming. And the fact they're dropping DirectX gives me insight into the development team actually caring about making a defining PC master race title for the ages. Sometimes a little thing tells you a lot. So all delays are forgiven.

Now get out of my office.

Just remember this game has a budget 4 times bigger than Mass Effect Andromeda, 2 times Witcher 3/fallout 4, and all those games were on consoles as well.

I'm so tired of these extremely stupid statements. You can't finish a game without adding the things it needs to be complete. Almost everything being worked on was established in the first year of planning and pre-development.
Oh stop it. As a developer, I get wanting to constantly add new features (really, I do), but this is 2 or 3 years past the release date. It's past the updated 2nd, or 3rd, release date. I'd be very much on Chris's side if he was working with his money or even a s/w companies $$$, but he's not. he's working on customer's money and he's constantly collecting more money from Whales. Virtually all of us who are critical of this project were at one point very excited by it and most, if not all of us, will be thrilled if he pulls it off (WC is arguably my favorite game of all time), but this project has the stench of Bernie Madoff. And if I'm wrong, I'll be absolutely thrilled to be wrong. I'll be handing my CC over to BBY or Amazon to get this amazing game. But come on. The slippage is never ending.

I just talked to Chris, and he's got a star ship with your name on it. He just need 5 grand to render it.

Umm, some of you not understand that they haven't added any new features to the game for a long time now? They cut out stretch goals and things a LOOONG time ago and locked down most of what they need to work on/finish for the game.

Vulkan is the future and survival of PC gaming.

It really isn't. Until someone builds as OS as stable with as much support/backwards compatibility as Windows you're just limiting yourself. Even if a Linux build can reach parity with Windows it matters little, because you'll essentially be running a high end console.

It really isn't. Until someone builds as OS as stable with as much support/backwards compatibility as Windows you're just limiting yourself. Even if a Linux build can reach parity with Windows it matters little, because you'll essentially be running a high end console.

Err, what? You do know Vulkan is an api and it works with on windows, not just Linux...

Err, what? You do know Vulkan is an api and it works with on windows, not just Linux...

And there is no point in playing on Linux until there is a better Windows alternative. So again, why even bother? Sure, a horse can still get you from point A to B, but you're limiting yourself if you choose that over a car. Especially with roadways built for cars, not horses, in mind.

Since this is a publicly funded game..

If I may ask... Why shouldn't they sell ships (or other items) While the game is being made?
1) I don't believe in pay-2-win game funding systems, period.
2) I don't support whaling, where they get some people with addiction issues to lay down $10K for non-existent virtual goods on what is potentially a vapor-ware game
3) I don't like crowd-funding in general, as traditional funding systems ensure that investors are watching the developers to ensure they aren't just fleecing people with a dog and pony show, trickling just enough content to keep the revenue stream going and playing on people's hopes and dreams, and control feature-creep and ensure reasonable launch dates after teasing the playerbase.

So I think the game concept should be sold to investors that will research the viability of the plan and keep tabs on it through its development, I believe the game should have a reasonable fixed purchase cost (less than $60 with no day-1 DLC) or fixed subscription fee (less than $120 a year) where all players have an equal playing field and cannot purchase advantage, and the public shouldn't be teased with the game until its reasonably close to completion (perhaps during public beta testing). That to me would be ideal.

That way as a consumer you see, oh cool a game coming out in 6 months as a tease, that is affordable, that everyone can have fun on a level playing field and if I'm pwned its because the guy is better at the game than me, not because he spent $50 this month to blow me away with a mega-weapon-ship-thingie.

I'm glad that's out the way and we can get back to the real discussion at hand: People willingly spending their own money and how mad that gets some, and the numbering of the alpha version.
Or how it's delayed. Or how he hired his wife even though she has no experience in her role. I mean whatever right? Why would anyone distort the truth.

But again nothing to see here move along. Fools and money and justifying purchases (y)

1) I don't believe in pay-2-win game funding systems, period.

We don't know if it will be pay to win yet. If you spend $300 on a freighter you supposedly will get blown away by a combat oriented starter ship. But, maybe said freighter will end up having defenses so strong that no starter ship can take it down alone...

We'll see how it turns out.

And there is no point in playing on Linux until there is a better Windows alternative. So again, why even bother? Sure, a horse can still get you from point A to B, but you're limiting yourself if you choose that over a car. Especially with roadways built for cars, not horses, in mind.

The comment you replied to first was talking about Vulkan being the savior of pc gaming, it has nothing to do with Linux. It's an API which works just fine on windows and comes with your video card drivers.

I don't know why you're bringing up Linux when no one brought it up...

I've been a backer of Star Citizen since pretty close to the beginning and am happy with its progression. The release of this roadmap and the soon-to-arrive (Pre-) Alpha 3.0 is a significant step forward in this progression and one that will introduce a number of features that to date have not been in any public builds such as space-to-planetary landings (on in this case, moons), traversal of "open world" planetoids on foot, and the first iteration of the Cargo system. If this sounds interesting to anyone and wants more info on the game, would like some help getting started so they can play the Alpha now and be ready for 3.0 when it arrives, or has some questions, I'd be happy to assist. There are a lot of misconceptions about the game itself, its development, and especially its monetization

Back