Staples $100 off any* tablet - valid through 7/30/2011

SunnyD

2[H]4U
If you wanted a tablet, now's the time to go get one.

Link to Coupon (*EXCLUDES the HP TouchPad, Kindle and Nook)

For record, Staples carries:
$399 - $100 = Asus Transformer
$399 - $100 = Acer Iconia
$499 - $100 = Motorola Xoom
$499 - $100 = BlackBerry PlayBook (32gb, they don't seem to have the 16gb)
$479 - $100 = Toshiba Thrive (16gb)
$299 - $100 = Dell Streak 7

Now, if your store doesn't STOCK a particular tablet (ie: The Asus Transformer is online only), order it online at the in-store kiosk (which has an option to pay at the register), have it shipped to the store, then have them adjust the price using the coupon at the register. Remember, this coupon ISN'T valid online, in store only.

Also, don't forget - don't see what you want or simply hate Staples with a passion? OfficeDepot will be more than happy to accept a competitor's coupon.

OfficeDepot offers: (Prices listed before comp coupon)
$429 - Toshiba Thrive (8gb)
$399 - Asus Transformer (16gb)
$399 - Acer Iconia (16gb)
$499 - Lenovo IdeaPad K1 (32gb)
$299 - ViewSonic GTablet
$499 - BlackBerry PlayBook (16gb)

Last edited:
wow nice deal was looking at the acer a few days ago at target when they had it for 399 and a 50$ gift card but i decided to go with the nice acer netbook they had for 249 with a 50$ gift card

Damn, a Dell Streak 7" for $199? Why do these kinds of deals always happen when I'm broke? :D

Oh well, just another great deal I'll miss out on, thanks for the info, OP.

Tempting deal! Though I can think I am going to wait to get a tablet. With Windows 8/iOS5/w/e Android OS is coming and the new gen ARM cores I want to see if this spikes a new competition with all the manufactures. The market still seems rather flaky to me, so getting a better product in tech (OS+new core) at a better price seems like a no brainer to me.

Edited... added info on OfficeDepot (since they happily accept competitors' coupons).

Wow that is a sweet deal.

I was looking to get an Asus Transformer in the future after we finished some remodeling in our house but I might not be able to wait now. Just have to persuade the wife that I need this!

Wow. I just paid $80 3 days ago for a POS tablet to due me until these nicer tablets started breaking the $300 price point. d'oh!

With phones reaching identical specs these are not very hard to resist and soon to be obsolete obsolete in my opinion. With phone service contracts you can have this for free, just as powerful, in your pocket,
and not have to carry two devices.

With phones reaching identical specs these are younot very hard to resist and soon to be obsolete obsolete in my opinion. With phone service contracts you can have this free just as powerful and not have to carry two devices.

That is one of my issues with Tablets. Only added function over a phone is the bigger screen. I would love to see better hardware/OS features on them.

Thanks for the heads up OP. The Samsung Galaxy Tab is the one to get isn't it? Or the Asus Transformer. That price for the Transformer can't include the "optional" keyboard/docking station right? I wonder how much that is extra? Yikes, time to get my research on.

That is one of my issues with Tablets. Only added function over a phone is the bigger screen. I would love to see better hardware/OS features on them.
Wait 10 years and that bigger screen will start to make more sense.

With phones reaching identical specs these are not very hard to resist and soon to be obsolete obsolete in my opinion. With phone service contracts you can have this for free, just as powerful, in your pocket,
and not have to carry two devices.

WTB: Smartphone with 1280x800 resolution screen and full size USB, SDHC and HDMI ports on it please.

With phones reaching identical specs these are younot very hard to resist and soon to be obsolete obsolete in my opinion. With phone service contracts you can have this free just as powerful and not have to carry two devices.

Watching a movie on a 3 or 4 inch phone screen is garbage. Not to mention not everyone wants to deal with a wireless company's bullshit. I hate the frickin phone companies. Mandatory data plans just to be able to get a smartphone is utter crap. When the phone companies let us have wifi enabled smartphones without the DEMAND that we also sign up for their jacked up data plan, then the phone becomes more attractive to me. Until then, screw'em.

WTB: Smartphone with 1280x800 resolution screen and full size USB, SDHC and HDMI ports on it please.

Then like i said, you won't have to wait long. Ever heard of mini hdmi? Mini usb? micro sd? they are all perfectly compatible so essentially the same thing as the full size ports and will show up soon im sure.

And whoever said wait ten years to see why tablets are worth it, it will be just the opposite. The technology is getting smaller and smaller the hardware specs are already identical, and the resolution on smaller screens is only getting better, the difference is already so minimal... im not going to check but i bet its dam close and its totally worth to not have two nearly identical objects, one that you can fit in your pocket, and one you can awkwardly carry or need a backpack briefcase or murse

Then like i said, you won't have to wait long. Ever heard of mini hdmi? Mini usb? micro sd? they are all perfectly compatible so essentially the same thing as the full size ports and will show up soon im sure.

And whoever said wait ten years to see why tablets are worth it, it will be just the opposite. The technology is getting smaller and smaller the hardware specs are already identical, and the resolution on smaller screens is only getting better, the difference is already so minimal... im not going to check but i bet its dam close and its totally worth to not have two nearly identical objects, one that you can fit in your pocket, and one you can awkwardly carry or need a backpack briefcase or murse

mini-HDMI requires an adapter. Mini USB means you can't plug in a flash drive or hard drive or keyboard easily amongst hundreds of other common USB peripherals (again, adapter needed). MicroSD costs >2x as much for the same speed/capacity grade as a full size SDHC card.

I should also point out that a larger format screen also means more precision when you fat-finger it, given UI scaling and such. Honestly, there are a multitude of reasons why one could WANT a large format device.

Also, let's not forget larger capacity batteries as well.

I have a Thrive already and I want a full size SD card slot, I have a DSLR camera that uses SD cards, so I want to view pics from my camera without having to lug a laptop around. So the thrive wins there with a full size SD card slot.

Want to play a video on a TV at work? Guess what, full size HDMI cables are used everywhere so you don't need to carry a cable with you. If you have a mini or a micro HDMI port its useless unless you want to carry around an adaptor.

I also use the full size USB for thumb drives and external hard drives. Again, a feature unavailable on mini or micro USB.

We also have a Xoom which I like better for the tablet only features but I prefer the Thrive for its versatility. The Thrive is the largest of the tablets though, but its not heavier than the norm. The 10.1 Galaxy tablet is awesome for the no-hookups Honeycomb users though.

To cybrguy and SonnyD,

you might as well carry those 3 adapters with you, at least they will fit in your pocket.

oh no, you say you don't want to carry an adapter with you 24/7? well did you plan on carrying your tablet with you 24/7? Then your going to need a bag. Why not just stick those 3 adapters in that bag and save yourself $300? :eek:

They've got the identical hardware, so the ONLY reason now you can have for not accepting my preferred solution is if that extra what, 100x100 resolution really proves useful to you. Then I really beg you to examine wtf you are doing with your tablet:

If you are preforming basic tasks away from home, such as photo editing, using some productivity software, doing some programming or web design, etc, you need a comfortable typing and viewing solution. Even at 1280x800 having 1/2 of your screen being taken up by your keyboard and pecking is NOT practical for typing AND viewing. 1 GB and 1/2 of a 10" screen does not cut it. You also want a more functional and compatible OS. Android is awesome but face it, Android is for a different type of computing, for little games, for convenient apps.

If however, you just want to do those things they show in the commercials that no body actually ever does, like go to work and show off your powerpoint presentation that you tediously designed on your tablet (more likely transferred to it), then since the hardware is the same your obviously better off just carrying that adapter with you and saving $300 ;)

Oh but wait you have a transformer, it has a keyboard! Does that keyboard remain at a desired location, if so, then wtf are you doing NOT leaving yourself a decent screen at that location?? Or does that keyboard travel with you, if so then wtf are you not carrying around a laptop for so that you can at least perform basic (IMO) functions?

Last edited:
I wasn't referring to changes in devices. I was referring to changes people 10 years down the line starting in your 20's. Think 'reading glasses'. Almost everyone's vision is affected to some degree by 40 if not sooner. Even if they don't need glasses to read, its a bit of a strain for most. A 3-4 inch screen isn't going to cut it for toting around a 2 hr movie.

I wasn't referring to changes in devices. I was referring to changes people 10 years down the line starting in your 20's. Think 'reading glasses'. Almost everyone's vision is affected to some degree by 40 if not sooner. Even if they don't need glasses to read, its a bit of a strain for most. A 3-4 inch screen isn't going to cut it for toting around a 2 hr movie.

OK I guess some people will want to take their tablet to starbucks, prop it against a napkin dispenser, and partake in a 2 hour 10" cinematic experience... yahhh ok i can see where there is a market here for some people :rolleyes:...some moot arguments can be made, but for 95% of the market and growing these are obsolete, or if you prefer to look at it like this, are merging with the smartphone technology.

One very valid point however is what beto said and I agree it is horrible and a huge scam what phone companies are doing. I do however believe as these smartphones and tablets merge people will catch on and this will stop. Kindle with free 3g, even though it doesn't have an internet browser, is a step in the right direction. I think Google was also testing an unlimited free service with their product. I am confident cell phone services will have to change things up very soon if they want to stay current. Now if they want to charge you a data plan contract WITH a free or discounted phone, that is perfectly understandable, but if you go pay full price for the phone then I doubt they can or will be charging data fees much longer.

OK I guess some people will want to take their tablet to starbucks, prop it against a napkin dispenser, and partake in a 2 hour 10" cinematic experience... yahhh ok i can see where there is a market here for some people :rolleyes:...some moot arguments can be made, but for 95% of the market and growing these are obsolete, or if you prefer to look at it like this, are merging with the smartphone technology.

One very valid point however is what beto said and I agree it is horrible and a huge scam what phone companies are doing. I do however believe as these smartphones and tablets merge people will catch on and this will stop. Kindle with free 3g, even though it doesn't have an internet browser, is a step in the right direction. I think Google was also testing an unlimited free service with their product. I am confident cell phone services will have to change things up very soon if they want to stay current. Now if they want to charge you a data plan contract WITH a free or discounted phone, that is perfectly understandable, but if you go pay full price for the phone then I doubt they can or will be charging data fees much longer.

We get it. Tablets are not convenient (for you). You can stop now. There's obviously a market for them, otherwise people wouldn't buy them.

We get it. Tablets are not convenient (for you). You can stop now. There's obviously a market for them, otherwise people wouldn't buy them.

I apologize for trolling a bit, I can definitely see where a tablet could be a solution. For example my friend had no computer, he would probably peck at a normal keyboard, doesn't have any hardware requirements besides face book and silly games, and maybe likes to read books. He bought a tablet and it's basically his portal to the web and it fits him perfect. But for someone with multiple devices and higher needs, it seems obsolete.

To be honest these deals tempted me and if anything I was just helping convince myself to wait until I could have this and my phone in one. With windows 8 supposedly being the same OS from pc to phone, that seems like a good time upgrade.

Sorry if I sound really stupid but I am curious about something that is a little off topic about the data plans that carriers charge. With satellite internet I assume the bandwith just comes down in waves regardless if anyone's picking it up or not? So are the service providers really paying more for people who download more?

YamahaAlex has no clue that people not only have their own opinion, buyt they're also entitled to it.

YamahaAlex has no clue that people not only have their own opinion, buyt they're also entitled to it.

My first post simply expressed my opinion that the tablet will be obsolete. It takes 2 to argue why point me out? Is it because my argument is more compelling?

My opinion is that the tablet/smartphone will be and almost already is one same device of about 5-6 inches and be able to connect to any screen, keyboard, or device. If I can convince myself or another impulse buyer like myself to reconsider wasting $300 twice I'd say it was worth it.

Last edited:
I saw this deal on SD. Went to Office Depot for a price match on a Transformer and it worked.

I'm so trying this at Fry's. Since they like to shove the fact that they now match more competitors every time I enter .. bwahaha.

My first post simply expressed my opinion that the tablet will be obsolete. It takes 2 to argue why point me out? Is it because my argument is more compelling?

My opinion is that the tablet/smartphone will be and almost already is one same device of about 5-6 inches and be able to connect to any screen, keyboard, or device. If I can convince myself or another impulse buyer like myself to reconsider wasting $300 twice I'd say it was worth it.

I think the point is that this is the HOT DEALS forum, not the TABLET DISCUSSION forum. Your opinions don't belong here.

Thanks OP, going to take a look at a Dell Streak 7" for a relative :D, $199 is a sweet price!

I was thinking about getting the new nook and rooting it but the eee transformer for $300 is really tempting.

Is the galaxy tab worth the extra $100 if you don't really care about the dock?

I printed out the coupon and went to Office Depot. They didn't have any (Asus Transformers) in stock (according to their ticket system next to the demo), so I went and asked someone if they had more and -- they did. I confirmed that they accepted competitors coupons and they said yes. So I had her ring me up and handed her my $100 off coupon and they accepted it without flinching.

I was so freaking suprised I didn't have to argue or anything. It's nice when a company sticks to their policies and doesn't deny people good deals because they're just too darned good.

I was thinking about getting the new nook and rooting it but the eee transformer for $300 is really tempting.

Is the galaxy tab worth the extra $100 if you don't really care about the dock?

I own a Nook Color running Phiremod. I bought the Transformer for my wife, but messed around with it quite a bit last night. In comparrison:

Display
The displays both look fantastic. I think the Nook might have a slight edge -- but it's very, very, very minor. Actually, this might be preference. I'm not sure what Asus uses for the "glass", but I have a hunch that the difference I'm seeing is due to the materials. However, the 10.1" display is awesome compared to a 7" display.

Audio
The Transformer has some audio problems that, apparently, hasn't been fixed. My wife noticed it in headphones where one speaker would be considerably louder than the other one. Without headphones, the Transformer wins hands down. The nook wasn't really designed for audio, and wtih the rear firing speaker, it's a bit inconvenient to listen to audio.

To be honest, I don't recall if the nook has a headphone jack. Assuming it does, I'm going to give the win to the Nook in this one until the speaker glitch is resolved by asus (I've read there is a hack to make it work properly, too).

Touch Response
Overall, they seem to both be very responsive to touch. The transformer definately felt different, and I believe that to be the different material used on the display. Is the trasnformer plastic compared to the nooks glass?

Camera
Didn't even check the quality, but the Transformer wins hands down. The nook doesn't have one. Is it a big deal? Do people really use their tablets to take pictures?

OS
Transformer has the win on the OS. It's got an official Honeycomb build (3.0). The nook (After modding) only has a very beta version of Honeycomb available to it. An "official" version won't be available until google releases the source --- if google releases the source.

Book Reading
Before I looked at a book on the Transformer, I thought for sure the Nook was going to win. It just seemed the perfect size! However, after installing Kindle from Amazon's appstore -- I'd have to say it's a tie. The transformer can obviously display more text on the screen, but they both look very good and are very, very readable (with some brightness and color customizations). I can see college studends using the Transformer over the Nook as it's larger display is more suited for text books.

Expansion
Tie. Both devices have micro SD card readers.

Winner? I don't think any one comes out ahead of the other. In the end, I think it's going to come down to screen size, weight, and your geek factor.

The extra size of the transformer comes at a price of a heaver device which makes it more awkward to hold in typical usage scenarios. It's very management, and I never felt like I was going to drop it, but it was noticably heaver than the nook (which makes perfect sense!)

We have to remember that the nook is an eBook reader. If you want your nook to compete with the Transformer, you're going to spend some time reading up and learning to flash it with a custom Rom. It's not difficult, but it's not something that everyone is going to do.

With the price difference being $50 (with this coupon) -- I would take a Transformer over the nook. While the options I would actually use are pretty much identical on each device, I really enjoyed the larger 10.1" screen.

Hope that helps someone. The coupon expires on the 30th -- so you have some time to decide. Just pray they don't go out of stock becuase I can see OD not "releasing" the stock until the coupon expires!

Jumped on a Galaxy Tab 10.1. The guy didn't even know he had them in the store yet, website said he did and I asked him to check and he came out with one from the back.

Jumped on this deal yesterday and picked up an Asus Transformer 16GB from Office Depot. They didn't even question the coupon, just rang it up for $300.

I was considering the Galaxy Tab, but lack of HDMI out and micro SD sealed the deal in the Transformer's favor. Now to pick up a 32GB SD card...

I printed out the coupon and went to Office Depot. They didn't have any (Asus Transformers) in stock (according to their ticket system next to the demo), so I went and asked someone if they had more and -- they did. I confirmed that they accepted competitors coupons and they said yes. So I had her ring me up and handed her my $100 off coupon and they accepted it without flinching.

I was so freaking suprised I didn't have to argue or anything. It's nice when a company sticks to their policies and doesn't deny people good deals because they're just too darned good.

I own a Nook Color running Phiremod. I bought the Transformer for my wife, but messed around with it quite a bit last night. In comparrison:

Display
The displays both look fantastic. I think the Nook might have a slight edge -- but it's very, very, very minor. Actually, this might be preference. I'm not sure what Asus uses for the "glass", but I have a hunch that the difference I'm seeing is due to the materials. However, the 10.1" display is awesome compared to a 7" display.

Audio
The Transformer has some audio problems that, apparently, hasn't been fixed. My wife noticed it in headphones where one speaker would be considerably louder than the other one. Without headphones, the Transformer wins hands down. The nook wasn't really designed for audio, and wtih the rear firing speaker, it's a bit inconvenient to listen to audio.

To be honest, I don't recall if the nook has a headphone jack. Assuming it does, I'm going to give the win to the Nook in this one until the speaker glitch is resolved by asus (I've read there is a hack to make it work properly, too).

Touch Response
Overall, they seem to both be very responsive to touch. The transformer definately felt different, and I believe that to be the different material used on the display. Is the trasnformer plastic compared to the nooks glass?

Camera
Didn't even check the quality, but the Transformer wins hands down. The nook doesn't have one. Is it a big deal? Do people really use their tablets to take pictures?

OS
Transformer has the win on the OS. It's got an official Honeycomb build (3.0). The nook (After modding) only has a very beta version of Honeycomb available to it. An "official" version won't be available until google releases the source --- if google releases the source.

Book Reading
Before I looked at a book on the Transformer, I thought for sure the Nook was going to win. It just seemed the perfect size! However, after installing Kindle from Amazon's appstore -- I'd have to say it's a tie. The transformer can obviously display more text on the screen, but they both look very good and are very, very readable (with some brightness and color customizations). I can see college studends using the Transformer over the Nook as it's larger display is more suited for text books.

Expansion
Tie. Both devices have micro SD card readers.

Winner? I don't think any one comes out ahead of the other. In the end, I think it's going to come down to screen size, weight, and your geek factor.

The extra size of the transformer comes at a price of a heaver device which makes it more awkward to hold in typical usage scenarios. It's very management, and I never felt like I was going to drop it, but it was noticably heaver than the nook (which makes perfect sense!)

We have to remember that the nook is an eBook reader. If you want your nook to compete with the Transformer, you're going to spend some time reading up and learning to flash it with a custom Rom. It's not difficult, but it's not something that everyone is going to do.

With the price difference being $50 (with this coupon) -- I would take a Transformer over the nook. While the options I would actually use are pretty much identical on each device, I really enjoyed the larger 10.1" screen.

Hope that helps someone. The coupon expires on the 30th -- so you have some time to decide. Just pray they don't go out of stock becuase I can see OD not "releasing" the stock until the coupon expires!

Transformer has gorilla glass, same as Ipad2s. It also has the best display out of any of the tegra 2 tablets. Xoom is horrible, thrive is comparable but the materials for glass just dont stack up to the TF.

I think the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the Transformer are tied at being the best tablet right now. The Galaxy wins because of its streamlined design and excellent screen quality thanks to Samsung, and the Asus Transformer because its the switchblade of tablets with all the usb hdmi hookups it has, but the Galaxy is like 80 grams lighter so I went with that at Bestbuy. For me all those usb and hdmi and smcard wasn't a priority as I already have a notebook with almost all of those accessories. Form over function I believe. Anyhow Bestbuy said they would price match that coupon so I'm psyched!

Here is a question. Would target or walmart honor this coupon towards an iPad? The coupon doesn't specify any brands

Well, the San Diego Office Depot store I went to brought out a corporate email that said they'd only honor the coupon on the Acer and Blackberry. Guess I'll wait.

Here is a question. Would target or walmart honor this coupon towards an iPad? The coupon doesn't specify any brands

Walmart seems to be accepting the coupon (YMMV of course), and they carry iPads...

Well, the San Diego Office Depot store I went to brought out a corporate email that said they'd only honor the coupon on the Acer and Blackberry. Guess I'll wait.

same here, also the guy told me they would not accept the coupon because all the staples here are out of stock.

Back