Stanford servers = frustrating

FLECOM

Modder(ator) & [H]ardest Folder Evar
Staff member
am i the only one getting really frustrated with stanford and their servers? almost half my machines are idle becuase they cant return or get work :rolleyes:

grr!!!

No you are not the only one, Stanford is jacked up a lot of people are bitching about this. It's really a shame

mine too....finally got the PS3 to upload.......
probably a friday the 13th prank by Marty:rolleyes:

Me too, it's damn frustrating :mad:

My PPD took a sharp dive due to this... Hope they get the act together fast.

I hope it gets resolved soon, although I probably dont have the push like FLECOM, I still think it's annoying when I see idle computers :eek: :)

On the other hand, hopefully this will be a big enough uproar so that they'll get new servers ASAP :D

If you check into the community forum you will see that Stanford, while growing, it also having some growing pains.

As a rule I’m pretty negative when this sort of thing happens, and persists, but in the end with the new project and the work they are doing I think it will be worth the wait.

Those here who know me well know I usually get pretty upset by now, but in this case I’m looking on the bright side, the glass is over half full and all that up sort of thing.

Be patient, good stuff happening.

ya i was kinda bummed out yesterday when i got folding installed on a new core 2 duo that it wasn't pulling wu :( but half the servers were down or full or something, they did eventually get a wu which makes me happy

I setup a new folder yesterday and pulled a new WU just fine? :confused: Guess I'm just lucky. :)

My machines aren't having issues (I dont think..with the exception of points I just dont notice 8 hour glitches..my points seem to stay pretty much the same across the board just that they are always going up as I add more and more :)

sorry, but folding is NOT about PPD or your score, or numbers, it is about helping a cause..... if they are down, okay that sucks, but i am sure there have reason they are down.

Sad it seems the only reason some people are doing this is to brag about PPD or what rank they are in,

sorry, but folding is NOT about PPD or your score, or numbers, it is about helping a cause..... if they are down, okay that sucks, but i am sure there have reason they are down.

Sad it seems the only reason some people are doing this is to brag about PPD or what rank they are in,

Even if someone does brag, atleast they are still bringing Stanford closer to cures.
To make it more interesting people fold on teams. So what if Flecom or this guy or that guy get frustrated wiyth the servers. When you put a lot of your time into setup boxes etc. you want them to work most of the time;)
However, getting pissed, and saying I am losing so much PPD OH MY!! I am quiting folding if Stanford does not fix this in 1 hour. The OP I am sure you know would never ever need to complain about his PPD as the OP's daily average is 96,674 points

but it actually is.... in a way

points are a reflection of total work performed warped by bonuses.

work needs to be done in order to find the information useful to the scientific community

/end bullshit

it's one of the rare thing in live where even if your doing it for the wrong reason, it's still a good thing. You, I, anyone else, are not going to change the reasons that people fold and posting on this topic never accomplished anything.

side note: OP is ~ top 3 in production for the FAH program and never brags about it... is if that's directed at the OP I suggest you call him a pussy (which do, FLECOM you pussy!!!) and not a points whore.

:D

I too, have had trouble recently sending my work over to their servers. I thought I had lost a WU, since I checked the log and it didn't show as being sent. I messed around with the -queueinfo flag and stuff, but no luck. Then, about 2.5 hours later I noticed that I had been credited with the missing WU and awarded the missing points. Weird, but had me seriously thinking about switching back to the single core console, before I noticed that multiple posts were going up about Stanford's possible server problem.

If you check into the community forum you will see that Stanford, while growing, it also having some growing pains.

As a rule I’m pretty negative when this sort of thing happens, and persists, but in the end with the new project and the work they are doing I think it will be worth the wait.

Those here who know me well know I usually get pretty upset by now, but in this case I’m looking on the bright side, the glass is over half full and all that up sort of thing.

Be patient, good stuff happening.

I have to agree with bill here. They've grown alot in the last month or so....probably much more than they expected, so until they get some new/more servers up to account for the serioiusly increased workload, we're going to have to expect some growing pains on their end.

The PPD is an added bonus to get people the otherwise woldnt do it, to fold. To me that adds to the fun ( I have 2 autistic kids, so this is VERY importnat to me cuz I deal with stuff liek this every day)

anyways, I too havent been able to send in work. I pinged both servers that take the work and both ping fine...... so with that said I dont knwo what else it could be

It appears that Stanford had a networking issue. It also seems resolved. Just be patient on your uploads.

if my machines cant get work and sit idle im not helping any cause

im not sure what PPD or scores have anything to do with bitching about stanfords servers...

anyhow

I think we should sacrifice a moose to the folding gods.

I've been able to avoid this problem until just now. For the first time in well over a year, my work laptop is quiet--the fan isn't running, because the client can't return its current WU and get a new one. It's kind of eery, since it's been so long since it spun down that fan...

this is really getting to me, i still cant upload WU's from like 200 of my machines... they are all queued up... i can get to the data servers in a web browser so i dont know whats going on...

this is really getting to me, i still cant upload WU's from like 200 of my machines... they are all queued up... i can get to the data servers in a web browser so i dont know whats going on...

which server they trying to hit? go to http://server.ip:80 or server:ip:8080 and you should get a >OK< responce.

Ok saw your post at FCF. Not much you can do, just leave it be. The client will grab another WU and keep working your just end up with a nice points spike at some point in time.

The client tried to upload every 6 hours or on client startup. However, the client ties to download new work every 15 minutes. Makes sense right...why one is 6 hours and the other is 15 minutes... ok I'm being a smart ass please explain it to me why this is the logic here... :confused: :D :confused: :D

The client tried to upload every 6 hours or on client startup. However, the client ties to download new work every 15 minutes. Makes sense right...why one is 6 hours and the other is 15 minutes... ok I'm being a smart ass please explain it to me why this is the logic here... :confused: :D :confused: :D
Maybe it's more important to make sure the computer has work to do than it is to get the results back fast?

My work machine is still having trouble returning its last WU and getting a new one. It's trying to return the WU to 171.65.103.100, but keeps getting a code 502 error, even though the server status page shows that the server is fine. And it can't get to the assignment server to get a new WU. Grrrr.

As far as the SMP client getting stuck, I had already submitted the WU and after 12 hours of trying to download a new WU, I decided to uninstall/reinstall the smp and now first shot, I have a WU. Fact or Fiction or luck of the draw

After many restarts, my client here finally picked up a new WU, although it still hasn't been able to return the completed one.

What's frustrating me the most right now is I just converted and older dual Xeon 2.8 over to the SMP client. It's squeezing by at 45 minutes per frame but the machine has two of the single client WU's finished (one 186 pointer and one 392 pointer) and ready to send. So do I leave all three open so I can get credit for the two low points WU's but blow the deadline on the SMP WU or kill and forget the 2 WU's that have been unable to send for over twenty hours now but make the deadline for the new SMP WU? :confused:

I just started having the same issue. My main desktop was hung for about an hour last night waiting for two new units. Strangely enough, one unit sent fine and couldn't get a new unit...the other couldn't send the unit and couldn't get new work. Meh, an hour to wait isn't a big deal, the 165 got a bit of a break. :)

I just started having the same issue. My main desktop was hung for about an hour last night waiting for two new units. Strangely enough, one unit sent fine and couldn't get a new unit...the other couldn't send the unit and couldn't get new work. Meh, an hour to wait isn't a big deal, the 165 got a bit of a break. :)

That 165 don't need no BRAKES :D

Sheesh. Now another one of my boxen is holding onto a completed WU but can't upload. That's two so far...

I have 2 stuck.....one since last night, and now another this morning...

Back