Stanford Economist: All Fossil-Fuel Vehicles Will Vanish in 8 Years

I think you have faulty assumptions. Navigation is a bigger problem than traction.

Car computers are already doing most of the job deal with dicey road conditions better than the majority of human drivers can.

Electronic Stability Control saves lives, because it keeps cars in control in exactly those conditions that most people can't.

ESC doesn't panic, doesn't talk on the cell phone, etc... It can control the braking at individual wheels, something impossible for humans and it can do many times/second on an individual wheel basis.

People are by and large idiots, when it comes to car control in slippery conditions, and they forget appropriate caution every time there is fresh snow. Even in winter after a clear week, you get hundred extra crashes when the next new snow hits.

Cars being able to better humans in slippery conditions is NOT the issue.

Navigation is the major problem when snow buries enough road markers that the system can't extrapolate position as well.

My BMW almost killed me because I stupidly had the cruise control on and hit a deeper puddle of water while it was raining. Now it wasn't raining hard, I didn't even have my wipers going yet, but it had been a few moments before so the roads were still wet. I hit that water, the steering wheel yanked one way, I corrected, and the car when fucking insane, everything I did the car was fighting me. I barely managed to keep it on the road and not role it in the ditch. Scared the hell out of me.

Stability control does great things in good road conditions but until you show one of these cars navigating truly icy roadways I am not buying it for a second.

In the mean time, I'm not the only one that doesn't put faith in automated system in inclement weather where traction can be a challenge.

http://www.maine.gov/bgs/riskmanage/tipofthemonth/tip46.htm

Don’t use cruise control or overdrive on icy roads.
http://blog.safeauto.com/warning-icy-roads-ahead/

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/wetroad.asp

https://nationalsafetyinc.org/2015/10/01/dont-use-cruise-control-on-wet-or-icy-roads/

You have too much faith in these systems. Don't type me your explanations if you won't link to something that backs it up.

Cruise control is not Autonomous driving. An Autonomous car will slow down for conditions. People tend to use Cruise control over the speed limit in the rain and run into trouble, then blame cruise control.

Dude, that's not an icy roadway, it's freshly fallen snow. There aren't even any previous tire tracks on the road. Look, be straight with yourself. All they are out doing here is working on navigation in snow conditions when the car can't find traffic markings and the edge of the road is hard to detect. They are not testing maneuvering on surfaces with bad traction and that is the major issue with this. People drive in this shit all the time and it doesn't matter at all if the should or not. They have to do what they have to do and sometimes they don't make it. Do you think their autonomous car is going to tell them "NO, We aren't going to work today."?

Keep in mind, this is mostly pointless bickering and I am getting tired of it. I have never said that they won't get there or that autonomous cars won't rule the road someday. You keep challenging statements taken out of context of the overall discussion while at the same time you have said you agree on the basic points that address the topic and the article.

You are sucking the life out of me dude.

Most of your assertions come from ignorance. It's better to correct that immediately instead of letting it fester

lcpiper said:
[ignorant ideas about cruise control being intelligent]

As snowdog said, there's nothing intelligent about cruise control and to say this is anything like autonomous driving is incredibly silly

Cruise control is not Autonomous driving. An Autonomous car will slow down for conditions. People tend to use Cruise control over the speed limit in the rain and run into trouble, then blame cruise control.

OK, well if you bothered to read any of what I linked, you may have gleaned that there are two big issues involved. See, it's the cruise that cause the "event", and it's a combination of active traction/stability control and driver reactions that turn the event into a life or death situation.

And the issue I see is that I have no reason to think that an autonomous vehicle will have miraculously better control systems when it comes to loss of traction in inclimate weather. And until you start linking proof that the cars can manage such conditions then you are just pulling shit out of your ass. Pictures of a car in less than an inch of virgin snow is not going to cut it.

I don't give a shit for what you think is silly, put up, or shut up.

I don't give a shit for what you think is silly, put up, or shut up.

Where did I say anything is silly. Don't falsely attribute things to me.

I think your assumptions are wrong. I don't think traction is the difficult problem you make it out to be.

But I don't have to prove it to you. I am just telling you that I disagree.

Where did I say anything is silly. Don't falsely attribute things to me.

I think your assumptions are wrong. I don't think traction is the difficult problem you make it out to be.

But I don't have to prove it to you. I am just telling you that I disagree.

You are correct, I mistakenly attributed Travesty's comment to you sir. I apologize for that error. You did not deserve to be the target of my ire :notworthy:

And you are correct again. You do not "owe me" proof as it was not your claim I am challenging. And simple disagreement is certainly acceptable.

Last edited:
I take the old girl out every chance I get...I even burn lead additive so she stays happy...after all , I have to offset a dozen Prius'...or as they should be called... "Pius of shit"

DSCF5311.jpg

So, you're needlessly poisoning everyone because you don't like people with Prius'. What kind of dumb shit is that?

hahaha..."poisoning"...yes

the number one green house gas is water vapour...fool..."man made climate change" , what kind of dumbass shit is that?...haha

the earth has been warming since the end of the last ice age , it will continue to warm until the beginning of the next ice age

...your public school education has let you down , and you need a different brand of "kool aid" , you got the dumb shit flavor

hahaha..."poisoning"...yes

the number one green house gas is water vapour...fool..."man made climate change" , what kind of dumbass shit is that?...haha

the earth has been warming since the end of the last ice age , it will continue to warm until the beginning of the next ice age

...your public school education has let you down , and you need a different brand of "kool aid" , you got the dumb shit flavor

You said lead additive, remember? Let's concentrate on that

ooo...stepped on a toe...my bad...guess the proper term would be "lead substitute" for the mechanically challenged and youngsters...

So, you're needlessly poisoning everyone because you don't like people with Prius'. What kind of dumb shit is that?

According to some, the CO2 you exale all day long is evil and bad and killing mother earth. STOP EXHALING YOU EARTH POISONER!

Back