Standard Ubiquiti Unifi AC AP Outdoors?

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Hey all,

So I was just at my favorite neighborhood bar/restaurant and saw this:

IMG_20170831_194646.jpg

I mentioned to the owner that I don't think that's an outdoor model, but he seems convinced it's OK.

Am I mistaken, or does this look like something that will end in years?

Yep thats kinda weird. The Unifi AP Pro is the only the one that can be put outside in any weather.

I wonder how long they had it mounted out there like that? I would think it would fail at the first rain/snow storm.

Love the zip ties on the downspout, wires hanging in midair. High quality work they've done there.

Let the bar owner do the best them they can. Maybe when they buy their 2nd or 3rd one they will realize they are buying wrong model or they will stop providing wireless access to everyone outside.

Let the bar owner do the best them they can. Maybe when they buy their 2nd or 3rd one they will realize they are buying wrong model or they will stop providing wireless access to everyone outside.

Thing is, Ubiquiti sells very good outdoor models! This just isn't one of them :p

Angle and distance makes it hard to judge but that unit looks to be a bit wider then 3 bricks. Using what google says are standard brick sizes, that gives about 192mm + 2 joints or about 212mm for bricks + joints. A Ubiquti UAP-AC-HD shows being 220mm diameter. If that is what the bar owner installed, it is rated for outside.

I think the zip ties are ok but the unprotected network cable is good squirrel fodder.

I have a mesh unit outside the one with two unidirectional rubber duck antennas. I have it hardline and not in mesh mode. Works wonderful.

Back