Standard Tegra X1 “Confirmed” as Switch's Processor

Ahhh, that's where those 500 years of manpower from nVidia went...
What I am saying is, how is it that components being in the same location means that what is inside the chip itself is the same? Of course it is a modified Tegra, we already knew that. No different than PS4 and XBONE being a modified A10.

Where do they talk about clock speeds? I am genuinely curious because I have been trying to find information on that for the last couple days.

I remember them from Eurogamer when polling the developers about the dev machine that Nintendo gives, based on the nvidia jetson tx1. i will try and fetch the link

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-switch-spec-analysis

There should it be... later it seems that portable mode got a boost according to development documents, here are the latest numbers:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-boosts-handheld-switch-clocks-by-25-per-cent

Undocked 1020MHz 307.2MHz/384MHz 1331.2MHz
Docked
1020MHz 307.2MHz/384MHz/768MHz 1331.2MHz/1600MHz

bold = new numbers.

Last edited:
Regardless they seem to be selling plenty of them and Breath of the Wild has been getting great reviews. I think they should have waited for a Pascal X1 and the dock should have more HP when displaying to a TV. More than just a fan.

Regardless they seem to be selling plenty of them and Breath of the Wild has been getting great reviews. I think they should have waited for a Pascal X1 and the dock should have more HP when displaying to a TV. More than just a fan.

I wonder if they'll refresh the hardware to feature Pascal. With the DS Lite, DSi, New 3DS - Nintendo did upgrade the internals.

I'm feeling the urge to pick one up again, really seems to be the console to replace my Vita with. Just really wish it had a bigger library, or at least B/C for 3DS to fall back on.

I always thought about nintendo as the casual gamers console. You don't need superior hardware for that, you need superior marketing.

The dock doesn't even have that it is a USB hub with hdmi out

People bitching about the tech are missing the point with the switch. But i had fun with the Wiiu , maybe im different....
Winner winner chicken dinner! I love the Wii U, it has a zillion great games. Graphics are respectable enough to enjoy the games as modern titles too.

Winner winner chicken dinner! I love the Wii U, it has a zillion great games. Graphics are respectable enough to enjoy the games as modern titles too.

I thought the wii-u hardware was crap... and i thought the games were all made for children. It failed.

The switch hardware is pretty meh, but BOTW is definitely not a kids game. Well done nintendo, enjoy my 500 bones.

You can't really make a better handheld right now. In terms of power/battery life/price. I think its a pretty well executed design.

The problem with Switch is yet another anemic launch and yet another instance of features and ecosystem being in perpetual beta.

I thought the wii-u hardware was crap... and i thought the games were all made for children. It failed.

The switch hardware is pretty meh, but BOTW is definitely not a kids game. Well done nintendo, enjoy my 500 bones.

Bright colors don't make games childish. That's your argument basically... Other than third party shovel ware, I don't know what you're talking about even. As for the hardware, it was anemic but they still made the games look decently technically, and fantastic artistically.

All the switch is a re-badged and cheaper to produce version of the cancelled Shield Tablet X1, most of Nintendo's hardware design went in to the controller solution.
And their controller is one of the most complained about things. Hilarious...

You can't really make a better handheld right now. In terms of power/battery life/price. I think its a pretty well executed design.

The problem with Switch is yet another anemic launch and yet another instance of features and ecosystem being in perpetual beta.

I think a lot comes down to why the Switch was released now, rather than waiting a year or two. In a year, you'd have even stronger hardware, to give better graphics. Also, focus more on a proper system title, rather than a Wii-U port. And then, it would also only be inferior to the Scorpio and PS4, rather than also being compared against being weaker than the XB1 too. Plus, they could have released in during the Christmas season. I understand it's selling out, but still, March is not the greatest month for releases.

Bright colors don't make games childish. That's your argument basically... Other than third party shovel ware, I don't know what you're talking about even. As for the hardware, it was anemic but they still made the games look decently technically, and fantastic artistically.

No that isn't my arguement. Of the 5 Nintendo launched blockbuster titles i played, i found all 5 of them to be extremely easy, like they were intended for a 6 year old to beat without much challenge.

If you had a wii-u, surely you would have noticed.

No that isn't my arguement. Of the 5 Nintendo launched blockbuster titles i played, i found all 5 of them to be extremely easy, like they were intended for a 6 year old to beat without much challenge.

If you had a wii-u, surely you would have noticed.

Eh, the NES was designed for young children, and games were much more difficult than they are now. It's just the direction that video games have taken, and Nintendo just going a bit further than others. I wouldn't call that designing for the younger crowd. In fact, I'd trust a 6 year old to do better than their parent for the most part.

I can't stop playing BOTW on my Switch. I'm about 70hrs in... poor gaming PC hasn't been turned on in two weeks... Once I'm done with Zelda, I'll be eagerly awaiting another great game, but I think I'll be waiting a while. FWIW, the Switch seems pretty capable. The textures in BOTW are terrible, but the lighting and other effects are pretty decent for tablet hardware. I mean it's using 11w in docked mode and 8w in portable. It's probably just or more capable than my NVIDIA Shield TV because it's running BSD and not Android.

I find myself playing BOTW more in portable mode then docked. In docked mode there are definitely performance issues. Not sure if those will be fixed or not?

My 14 year old is a Nintendo fanatic the one thing I love regardless of Nintendo "consoles" lack of power is I never have to worry about what he's playing. It's going to be Zelda, Mario, Pikman, Splatoon, Pokemon, etc instead of him trying to find a way to get GTA, or COD, etc.

For me I have little interest in it myself although I do enjoy watching what crazy thing Nintendo comes up with as a control scheme. They are also the only company that still make playing in the same room with your friends and option.

As for the Wii U; titles and performance were not competitive and the range on the controller was poor but I liked the option of one of the kids watching a show on their TV and the other playing on the Wii U screen. Prevented a lot of fights.

What I am saying is, how is it that components being in the same location means that what is inside the chip itself is the same? Of course it is a modified Tegra, we already knew that. No different than PS4 and XBONE being a modified A10.
I had the same question, but I thought maybe I just didn't read the article and sources very well. How do they know this is the same chip?

My 14 year old is a Nintendo fanatic the one thing I love regardless of Nintendo "consoles" lack of power is I never have to worry about what he's playing. It's going to be Zelda, Mario, Pikman, Splatoon, Pokemon, etc instead of him trying to find a way to get GTA, or COD, etc.

Yar, this is true. For me, it's not even that they'd have access to GTA, Witcher, etc - the issue is that there isn't as much compelling software aimed at all ages on the other two consoles (XB and PS4). I know when my son was younger, it was hard to find appropriate games for him to play on his 360, the Wii had a good chunk of family oriented software, but the 360 was lacking. Kid mostly played the Lego series and Marvel games during those early years.

I challenge you to name more than 5 exclusive titles for the WiiU that weren't remakes and were actually good. I can certainly think of some, but I can't think of more than about 5..much less a large enough library to justify that kind of hyperbole.

All things considered, the Switch was probably a bit of a rush job considering the processor and low-ish amount of release content. They wanted to get in before Sony/Microsoft get their mid-life-cycle systems out (and also drop the Wii U they had no way of saving). Like someone else mentioned, we might see a pascal version in the future that can run longer on battery and support higher quality when outputting to TV.

I challenge you to name more than 5 exclusive titles for the WiiU that weren't remakes and were actually good. I can certainly think of some, but I can't think of more than about 5..much less a large enough library to justify that kind of hyperbole.

Not sure what your definition of remake is, but here are my favorites:

Mario Kart 8
Super Smash Bros Wii U
New Super Mario Bros U
Super Mario 3D World
Windwaker HD (ok, this is a remake)
Super Mario Maker
Pikmin 3
Yoshi's Wooly World
Twilight Princess HD (ok, this is also a remake)
Nintendoland
NES Remix 1&2
Splatoon
Bayonetta 2
Xenoblade Chronicles X

Also, being someone who uses public transportation to get to work, the Switch is amazing. I have a 45 minute ride on the bus each way to get to work. This adds up to 1.5 hours of extra game time a day that I can play. I still use the DS sometimes depending on what I want to play, but it's definitely been dominated by Breath of the Wild on Switch recently. It may not be the most powerful console when I get home, but I also can't bring my gaming desktop or an Xbox on the bus. I know it's cliche from the commercials, but I also find myself playing on the bus, having to stop when get home, then putting it in the dock and finishing whatever I was doing on the big TV.

Not sure what your definition of remake is, but here are my favorites:

Mario Kart 8
Super Smash Bros Wii U
New Super Mario Bros U
Super Mario 3D World
Windwaker HD (ok, this is a remake)
Super Mario Maker
Pikmin 3
Yoshi's Wooly World
Twilight Princess HD (ok, this is also a remake)
Nintendoland
NES Remix 1&2
Splatoon
Bayonetta 2
Xenoblade Chronicles X

Also, being someone who uses public transportation to get to work, the Switch is amazing. I have a 45 minute ride on the bus each way to get to work. This adds up to 1.5 hours of extra game time a day that I can play. I still use the DS sometimes depending on what I want to play, but it's definitely been dominated by Breath of the Wild on Switch recently. It may not be the most powerful console when I get home, but I also can't bring my gaming desktop or an Xbox on the bus. I know it's cliche from the commercials, but I also find myself playing on the bus, having to stop when get home, then putting it in the dock and finishing whatever I was doing on the big TV.

Definition of a remake is pretty black and white.

1) Mario Kart 8
2) Smash
3) Mario 3d World
4) Mario maker
5) Splatoon

The rest of the list are remakes, generic refreshes not worth talking about or just plain bad. That was my entire point in the first post, there are only a handful of good exclusives for the WiiU. Not saying there aren't any was more just calling out his exaggeration of the size of the game library. Even being generous and letting a couple of the on the fence ones slide out of that list and you can't even name 10 must have games for it. That is pretty bleak considering how long the system was out, especially by Nintendo standards. Hopefully they get back on track with the switch and start pumping out great titles again. It is just unfortunate they went with such a weak platform and heavily limited its performance.

Definition of a remake is pretty black and white.

1) Mario Kart 8
2) Smash
3) Mario 3d World
4) Mario maker
5) Splatoon

The rest of the list are remakes, generic refreshes not worth talking about or just plain bad. That was my entire point in the first post, there are only a handful of good exclusives for the WiiU. Not saying there aren't any was more just calling out his exaggeration of the size of the game library. Even being generous and letting a couple of the on the fence ones slide out of that list and you can't even name 10 must have games for it. That is pretty bleak considering how long the system was out, especially by Nintendo standards. Hopefully they get back on track with the switch and start pumping out great titles again. It is just unfortunate they went with such a weak platform and heavily limited its performance.

The only one of those 5 that is actually completely new is Splatoon, all the others are sequels of older games (or is a level editor for a previous-gen game, in the case of mario maker). It's as though the creative person behind all the original NES games quit, and they never bothered to replaced him.

WiiU is worth owning just for Mario Maker, and Xenoblade X for me personally. I also enjoyed playing Wind Waker and Twilight Princess remasters on it.

Mario Maker is absolutely brilliant though and it'll be cool to see a re-release on the Switch.

The only one of those 5 that is actually completely new is Splatoon, all the others are sequels of older games (or is a level editor for a previous-gen game, in the case of mario maker). It's as though the creative person behind all the original NES games quit, and they never bothered to replaced him.

I'm aware, but in this context I'm giving sequels a pass. I generally like sequels if they are done right. The only real point I originally had was that the notion that the WiiU has a "huge" library is nonsense. The WiiU has a huge library like Donald Trump has huge hands.

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist that joke. I tried so hard lol.

WiiU is worth owning just for Mario Maker, and Xenoblade X for me personally. I also enjoyed playing Wind Waker and Twilight Princess remasters on it.

Mario Maker is absolutely brilliant though and it'll be cool to see a re-release on the Switch.

Not for engineers. I get paid to design shit all day. Don't want a game around it.

I just don't see how this thing will have much 'longevity'. Will this be able to last more than 3 years on this already weak, outdated hardware?

I just don't see how this thing will have much 'longevity'. Will this be able to last more than 3 years on this already weak, outdated hardware?

Nintendo may opt for what Sony and MS are doing and after 3 years they come out with a more powerful version with an upgrade option that just replaces the tablet portion.

Nintendo may opt for what Sony and MS are doing and after 3 years they come out with a more powerful version with an upgrade option that just replaces the tablet portion.
your acting like the joy cons are a big portion of the unit the whole thing is the tablet part everything else is accessory

Yar, that wouldn't surprise me, especially considering Nintendo's hardware refreshes with the DS. My biggest hope is that they ensure there's b/c for all of the hardware peripherals. This would actually be a pretty cool upgrade path for the system and would definitely give it a longer shelf life.

I think it's possible. In the teardowns theres a lot of modular parts, which seemingly indicate a potential to upgrade them in the future.

While the joycons, controller base, base station and cords are not much of the cost if it made the upgrade cost $250 or $225 for the new model and if the offered some sort of tradeup for the existing working unit you had it could be attractive.

Or you just buy the new tablet and sell the old tablet portion on ebay.

That's 1 side of the game. I personally have never created anything in Mario maker.

I played a few levels, some were ok. 90% of them right after launch were "run to the right, don't stop"... bleh

So are you telling me that I will be able to play switch games on my shield Tv.. soonTM?

I think it's possible. In the teardowns theres a lot of modular parts, which seemingly indicate a potential to upgrade them in the future.
The only modular bits are ssd, the wifi module, the battery, the cart slot. All of them do not use standard interfaces and instead use a ribbon cable or pins that were more common on something like a dev unit. Nintendo likely will not provide replacement parts unless the right to repair bills get passed. Overall i would say there is a lot of wasted space and the insides look more of prototype than of final product...

So are you telling me that I will be able to play switch games on my shield Tv.. soonTM?
Perhaps from an illegal 3rd party solution. The os is similar enough to linux/android it should not be too big a challenge...

Last edited:
Lots of mentions of a "pascal" x1. As someone who was waiting for it before buying a shield tv, it isn't coming. The "haswell" x1 is devastating capable for its designed purpose and the chip that nvidia developed after it is retooled for automobiles.

Lots of mentions of a "pascal" x1. As someone who was waiting for it before buying a shield tv, it isn't coming. The "haswell" x1 is devastating capable for its designed purpose and the chip that nvidia developed after it is retooled for automobiles.
That was X2 that was pascal based they retooled it for the car auto drive thing apparently it does not work well with games or tablets or something but i don't see how that would be the case it seems to me the p1 would have been all over the place better... Newer process 14nm vs 20nm pascal with looking like double the oomph gpu wise the only reason i can think of is nvidia would not go down on the price per soc and did not have the production to allow nintendo to produce millions of devices...

They renamed it p1. The X1 is maxwell or the 900 series videocard based the k1 is keppler based

The one for automobiles likely was designed to use far more power as needed since an automotive ECU is capable of using far more then just 10w.

The switch shipped with the best possible for the size/form factor, at the time the final spec was ratified.
The idea that they could have done better is pretty much false.

And the game companies are done investing a lot of R&D into advanced chips. Because they have to sell at a loss. PS4 and Xbone both used old gpus. Not even best at the time.with easy to implement, custom features. It's cheap and it works.

Of course there is better stuff NOW. That's how it goes. You gotta finalize spec sometime. Because it takes time to actually make a couple million units and devs need to be able to develop. Zelda only had about one year of dev time for the switch version.

Back