Standalone DVD player verses Media PC

echn111

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm wondering about the image quality of a standalone DVD verses the same disc playing from a media PC on a good quality 50" TV. Assume the media PC is built with modern components including a C2D and loaded with the latest codecs.

I understand that the CPU and software handle the upscaling so the media PC has an advantage over most DVD players, but how does this compare to the high end DVD players costing $1000+ with the latest upscaling chips?

Just from my experience here is what I have to say:

My HTPC is a Pentium D 915 @ 2.8, 1 gig Ram, 6800GT hooked up to a 47" 1080p Westy. I rip DVDs using DVD shrink and shrink it to about 55% quality of the original, so the movie is around 2.5 gigs. It still looks great, not any real noticeable quality loss. Maybe its just me, but I cant tell.

I know that didnt answer your whole question but that is atleast my 2 cents from one side of the fence.

I'm not sure why someone would pay $1000+ to upscale DVD's rather than go HD. In fact, even after reading through numerous threads, I'm still unclear about why someone would spend a lot on a DVD player (it can't be convenience, as you can get that with a $200 DVD player)

Anyway, shortly after my original post, I decided to stop thinking about why someone would spend so much money on a DVD player and just build myself a media PC for less money.

Back