Standalone audio player

sinisterDei

[H]ard|Gawd
This doesn't exactly fit the HTPC category, but I couldn't think of where else to ask it.

My mom wants a small audio system for Christmas, emphasis on the small. It's for her work, and she works in a cube - a big one, but still a cube - so nothing big because she'll never turn the volume up beyond a loud whisper.

Essentially what would be perfect would be the baby size Google Home Mini or something, but unfortunately where she works has highly restrictive internet - I don't think anything that needs an internet connection to play music or function in general is gonna work.

Additionally, my mom seemed fairly baffled by the idea of getting a bluetooth speaker and playing audio via her phone. She's older, just a couple years away from retirement, and technology beyond what she already knows is pretty foreign.

Basically what would be ideal is a small AM/FM radio that has some kind of built-in MP3 player. I've considered literally buying two devices - one a small MP3 player and two a small speaker - and velcroing them together for her, but I figured I would ask if anyone has any recommendations for a single product that would fit the bill.

Yeah I had seen many of those. Didn't know if anyone had any personal experience with any of them.

I have one for when I'm working on stuff in my garage similar to this. It will function as a bluetooth speaker, hands-free device for phone calls, FM radio, and small media device. It has a rechargeable battery and MicroSD, USB, and 3.5mm inputs. It functions as an alarm clock with time display. It isn't nearly as powerful as a Sonos device but it is 1/10th the cost too. It is good enough to have in a cubicle without being loud enough to disturb others and is only 3" x 3" x 9". It won't display ID3 tags or file name and the front display is only for time and track run time.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Blu...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QCR2SC8XKKNHXM13PF6M

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Nice. So I would load up MP3s on a SD card of some size, and then that thing can play them on random or something?

Back