Stalker Lost alpha coming to gamers

Someone needs to brush up on their STALKER history. It is based on an earlier version of Shadow of Chernobyl not Call of Pripyat :stop:

Just went through all three games recently. STALKER Misery is where it's at these days.

Always good to see the sometimes overlooked series get mainstream attention.

Someone needs to redo the STALKER games and remove the terrible clunk. What a wasted opportunity of a series. I own them all but they play like shit.

The gunplay is better than most other games IMO, especially if you add mods.

odd, I really enjoyed all 3 games in their vanilla form. I actually hate most of the mod versions.

The first game was horrendous in that aspect. You could shoot someone in the head with a rifle and they'd walk it off, and your guns were as accurate as Imperial Storm Troopers. Some mods fixed this though. CoP was the only good out of the box game. Wish they would reboot SoC, but not Ubisoft style with thousands of repetitive camps to liberate and crap to collect. Good series, needed more polish though.

Reactions: dgz
like this
One of my favourite games of all time. SoC was quite annoying with its bugs, but CS and CoP (especially CoP) were very problem-free for me.

I loved playing those games on a CRT monitor, it was much easier to operate in open territory during nights.

To this day I sometimes look at the cutscenes on youtube. Also, the game was an inspiration for me to read Roadside Picnic and watch the Russian Film which I totally fell in love with.

I'd usually use the VSS Vintorez in my travels. I liked the contrast between the protagonist's abilities at the beginning of the game, which was a nightmare for me. But around mid-endgame, when you had the exoskeleton, a full belt of artifacts and a railgun, you felt like a tank.

Clear Sky had one flaw that ruined the night fighting experience - the second gen nightvision. It made things almost too easy (blueish illumination). IIRC you only got the 1st gen green crappy one in CoP.

The first game was horrendous in that aspect. You could shoot someone in the head with a rifle and they'd walk it off, and your guns were as accurate as Imperial Storm Troopers. Some mods fixed this though. CoP was the only good out of the box game. Wish they would reboot SoC, but not Ubisoft style with thousands of repetitive camps to liberate and crap to collect. Good series, needed more polish though.

yea, ubi would just make it Far Cry 6

If you can't kill in Stalker then you might just suck at the game. It's really not that difficult, especially later on when you upgrade/get better guns. If you're using regular ammo against armored enemies..well ;)

What mods do you recommend? I just played SoC and CoP a few months ago with the complete mod, and it was pretty sweet. Stalker has to be one of the best FPS franchises, love how atmospheric they are.

What mods do you recommend? I just played SoC and CoP a few months ago with the complete mod, and it was pretty sweet. Stalker has to be one of the best FPS franchises, love how atmospheric they are.

Those are the ones I played with the first time through. Arsenal Overhaul is pretty good too in terms of guns since it adds a ton more. If you are OK with some so-so gunplay, aka bullet sponges which Russian seem to love, I would try OGSE. It's a huge mod for SoC, although it doesn't require the game to be installed since it's standalone.

Misery for CoP is absolutely beautiful. It's a bit more taxing for older (I used a 9600GT overclocked to relativistic speeds) cards, but it's beautiful game.

Oooh this is exciting. I really love my time in SoC and CoP. Tried to play this sometime last year but could never get the game to start without a CTD. Here's hoping they got that solved!!

Will play instantly. Huge S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fan here. Can't wait to enter the zone again.

I played the early release and it was a fun game although a lot of the missions were bugged.

Mods fixed 99% of those issues. I used to play Oblivion Lost in SHoC and it was basically 1 shot headshots, yourself included. AI was revamped to be deadly accurate with guns and grenades. All guns varied in accuracy, some worse than others and durability played a factor. Vanilla was a clustefuck sure but mods made STALKER such a cult hit.

If you can't kill in Stalker then you might just suck at the game. It's really not that difficult, especially later on when you upgrade/get better guns. If you're using regular ammo against armored enemies..well ;)

Yes, I do suck at games which ignore crosshair position in favour of "realism" or some "upgrade your gun" mechanic.

Yes, I do suck at games which ignore crosshair position in favour of "realism" or some "upgrade your gun" mechanic.

Never had this problem :whistle:. You weren't spraying and praying right? Oh and I hope you weren't using a completely broken weapon.

STALKER multiplayer was awesome!

I managed to translate the Russian instructions and get a dedicated server running. With weather/TOD effects and the dynamic of the game it was awesome fun!

Back