STALKER is absolutely fantastic!

I really wish i could play this but the head bobbing is making me sick as a dog.

Tried cam_inert 0 and it does nothing.

Back to wow and wait for a patch. and/or another coaster for my coffee table.

Have you tried F6? ;)
Thanks. :)

I didn't see it in the keys menu within the game options but as I was following some of the HTPC links I found this on TweakGuides:
"For those playing it right now, a few useful tips include the following undocumented keys: Quicksave (F6), Quickload (F7), Speed up passage of time (*), Return to normal time rate (/). To skip the startup movies/logos, right-click on your STALKER icon, select Properties, and in the Target box one blank space after the last character insert -nointro and click OK."

I'm so pleased to hear people loving this game. I was really worried that it was going to turn out to be crap, but it seems I needn't have! I'll be picking this up soon. ^^

...I'd be incredibly pissed-off if I went through the game hearing more than two non-russian accents, and having it all in English would just destroy this for me, in much the same way as watching something like City of God with English dubbing...
Wally, chill baby, I did say option.;)

I don't get why there are so many posts about getting dizzy with this game. The side to side bob is a standard feature of pretty much every FPS since say 2003?!? If you want got really dizzy play Dark Messiah. I actually like that approach to body awareness. Its time for FPS to take that up a notion. I want to see legs!

I curious about the movie that this is based upon. Off to Amazon...

This game did spark a little interest in the movie for me aswell, is it on DVD or tape only?

Also I have a MX510 mouse and having problems binding the "non standard" buttons, anyone had luck binding extra functions to the mouse?

Also I have a MX510 mouse and having problems binding the "non standard" buttons, anyone had luck binding extra functions to the mouse?
I'm having problems binding the two extra side buttons on my mouse. Have you tried binding keys to those buttons within the mouse software?

it is fantastic, i am loving it, this is what pc gaming is all about. imo, but one thing is it sure is easy to earn money I have like 90k and I just starting taking missions from the freedom faction.

This game did spark a little interest in the movie for me aswell, is it on DVD or tape only?

Yes the movie is on DVD, it's an excellent film imo. However keep in mind that it's based on A roadside picnic which the game also was attributed to both the film/book as inspiration. However the movie is quite more about the "zone" and characters, there's not a lot of action and mutations running around. It's a lot more about the setting/thinking, some people might consider it "slow" compared to the normal movies of today.

IE - I'd compare it to say, Bergman's Fanny and Alexander or something of that style.

If you like it I also highly recommend other films of his, like Solaris(He did the original one, not the George Clooney one), Sacrifice , Nostalghia etc.

LOL! Thanks for the 411 but I know what to expect from Russian Sc-Fi. After all these are the folks that wrote War and Peace.:eek: Actually it is kinda of sad the action and sci-fi have become almost synonymous in American cinema.

On a side note, I work with a guy that was former captain in the Russian military. Boy you could stuff a lump of coal up his @ss and get a diamond in day easy!

There is one thing that I noticed.

The ADD generation doesn't like this game.

Everybody else does. Sadly the ADD generation is 40% of the people on this board.

it is fantastic, i am loving it, this is what pc gaming is all about. imo, but one thing is it sure is easy to earn money I have like 90k and I just starting taking missions from the freedom faction.

I had about 250k when I first adventured out into the area where the freedom boys patrol, so far I have only actually spent roughly 5k on goods throughout the game, there's just nothing decent worth spending your money on, everything you pick up off dead bodies is better than what you get in the "shops"

** SLIGHT SPOILERS **

I spend most of last night until 4am blasting the freedom boys, I met the Duty guys outside and did a mission where I had to take out the freedom sniper, then I kinda hung around and gave them support.

But about 8-10 Duty boys + me, took out that entire camp of at least 30-40 guys, I actually had to finish off the cook in his own kitchen point blank with a Desert Eagle, he was rolling around on the floor in pain, talk about grizzly.

anyway, the Freedom guys are pussys :)

** END SPOILERS **

I had about 250k when I first adventured out into the area where the freedom boys patrol, so far I have only actually spent roughly 5k on goods throughout the game, there's just nothing decent worth spending your money on, everything you pick up off dead bodies is better than what you get in the "shops"

** SLIGHT SPOILERS **

I spend most of last night until 4am blasting the freedom boys, I met the Duty guys outside and did a mission where I had to take out the freedom sniper, then I kinda hung around and gave them support.

But about 8-10 Duty boys + me, took out that entire camp of at least 30-40 guys, I actually had to finish off the cook in his own kitchen point blank with a Desert Eagle, he was rolling around on the floor in pain, talk about grizzly.

** END SPOILERS **

i just did that same mission except the duty guys got raped, so i soloed the whole base was a blast and took awhile sence the guys seem to just keep coming lol. atleast they drop plenty of ammo to keep the fight going. man i wish this was co-op..............

i just did that same mission except the duty guys got raped, so i soloed the whole base was a blast and took awhile sence the guys seem to just keep coming lol. atleast they drop plenty of ammo to keep the fight going. man i wish this was co-op..............

Funny story.

I went in and spoke to a few of the main characters like the cook, who by all accounts is a total mentalist, and a few other guys.

I took out the sniper and they gave the countdown, I then quickly moved back into the middle of the base and went up the middle watchtower, killed the sniper there, stole his sniper rifle and took out the final 2 snipers (either side of that tower)

Then proceeded to use their own sniper rifles to help the duty guys who stormed right into the middle before all dieing in the final fire fight leaving me the sole standing victor \o/

I searched the base a bit and gathered all the new guns and ammo, I took a stroll past the kitchen and noticed a red dot inside, so I leaned in and saw the cook rolling around on the floor dieing (ROFD ?) he was making an awful noise and I couldn't offer him a medkit so I finished him point blank with a desert eagle (even that made me cringe)

Soon noticed the Freedom backup arrive, they populated the front gate with 2 guards, and brought in another 15-20 guys and surrounded the middle building in neat formation. Funny thing is these guys didn't know I was aiding Duty and so were neutral to me and didn't attack. I thought ey up there's something interesting in that middle building, so I decided to venture inside, bad move.

There was 2-3 guys from the original fight who were still in there limpin' about, and had the status enemy and started shooting at me I managed to take a few out with the silenced pistol without the guards outside even knowing (real James Bond style Ya know?) but ran out of ammo *shock* and had to use a rifle to kill the last guy, turns out the guards heard that one and all 20 or so flood into the house.

Spent the next 5 mins blasting them and several waves of backup until I fled the base low on med packs and carrying 15x my own weight in ammo LOL.

i have my res. at 1920x1200 with specs in my sig and right now it runs like an old dog:(
15-20FPS with CCC 7.1 drivers (7.2 were horrible) on a crossfire system:(

maybe i'll try the new drivers again, who knows
OK game so far but i'm barely at the beginning

** SLIGHT SPOILERS **

** END SPOILERS **

LOL, well me and Freedom went over to that little rinky dink Duty hideout and wipe their asses clean, whos the pussies now? LOL, Duty cant even take out a sniper and tried to ask me to do it. Weaksauce!

But yeah shops, as of right now dont have anything I need, cept ammo if I am low and med supplies if I am low as well, found some awesome weapons on bodies, mostly sold them all.. I love my AKM74 w/Scope and upgraded DMG&Rate of Fire.

This game is exactly what I've always wanted - Oblivion but with tactical shooting and a creepy, gloomy setting.

Does anyone else find some of the sounds cheesy, such as when switching weapons or climbing onto a ladder?

LOL, well me and Freedom went over to that little rinky dink Duty hideout and wipe their asses clean, whos the pussies now? LOL, Duty cant even take out a sniper and tried to ask me to do it. Weaksauce!

LOL

Pfffff but my dad could beat up your dad any day!

;)

Wally, chill baby, I did say option.;)

I don't get why there are so many posts about getting dizzy with this game. The side to side bob is a standard feature of pretty much every FPS since say 2003?!? If you want got really dizzy play Dark Messiah. I actually like that approach to body awareness. Its time for FPS to take that up a notion. I want to see legs!

I curious about the movie that this is based upon. Off to Amazon...

That post wasn't as lairy as it may have seemed, sorry.

In other news, look what I found on the stalker forums:
http://rapidshare.com/files/22901681/Stalker_ModTool.exe.html

I had to re-upload it because the forums are currently shagged, but it's a solution to those sillies complaining about inaccurate guns, and you can edit just about everything, from the damage you do to people to the damage you take. Personally I set it to do 1.5 damage but the recieved damage 0.5 (so I don't get wiped out instantly) so people don't take entire magazines now. Hurrah!

Be sure to backup your gamedata.dba file.

There is one thing that I noticed.

The ADD generation doesn't like this game.

Everybody else does. Sadly the ADD generation is 40% of the people on this board.

Yes indeed. The number of people complaining about the "buggy" accuracy and subsequent mods to "fix" this is insane. People really can't grasp the ideas behind this - it's not CS:S, for the love of god.

I dont know ... I never found the guns incredibly inaccurate. I have to wonder, if they people who make these claims looked at the accuracy and condition bar, on the weapon they were firing, before making such claims. Or if these people and spraying and praying, and not firing in bursts.

I dont know ... I never found the guns incredibly inaccurate. I have to wonder, if they people who make these claims looked at the accuracy and condition bar, on the weapon they were firing, before making such claims. Or if these people and spraying and praying, and not firing in bursts.

They are terribly inaccurate.. maybe these people haven't gotten past the first 30 minutes though. :p

The first two SMGs you get are only accurate within 25 yards or so.. but the AI can tag you no matter where you are. I always switch the firing mode to semi auto and don't use the iron sight all the time (doesn't seem accurate). The first decent firearm I got was an AK, then instead of running from the military, I stayed, took em out, and nabbed their AK-74s.

They are terribly inaccurate.. maybe these people haven't gotten past the first 30 minutes though. :p

The first two SMGs you get are only accurate within 25 yards or so.. but the AI can tag you no matter where you are. I always switch the firing mode to semi auto and don't use the iron sight all the time (doesn't seem accurate). The first decent firearm I got was an AK, then instead of running from the military, I stayed, took em out, and nabbed their AK-74s.

So you are trying to use a SMG at range, and you are calling the guns innaccurate?

So you are trying to use a SMG at range, and you are calling the guns innaccurate?

Problem is, in the first 30 minutes of the game they don't give you much of a choice. Wide open fields, maybe a tree or two for cover, with AI that hide in bushes and can see you through tall grass. They'll hit you no matter where you are... I was behind a car once, and they managed to shoot my toes.

If you're running in the open field and tagged once you start crawling, then the rest of them lay into you.

I've had limited success picking them off from a distance. Sometimes, I simply let the AI waltz into my kill zone. Even at 20 feet, these SMGs are very inaccurate. I don't expect them not to recoil, I don't expect every bullet to land exactly on target, but I expect the guy to be dead after 3 or 4 bursts or an entire round of semi auto fire. No big deal, I grabbed an assault rifle really quick. :)

I think that was their intention though, they wanted you to get up close and personal with everyone and everything. Not only that, but I really appreciate the new weapons. :)

SPARTAN VI Gawd Hhhmm. What difficulty level are you playing. I find at a distance as long as you are behind cover and using the lean to peak around and fire, the AI is pretty poor at hitting you no matter what gun they are carrying.

I had pretty good success on the Garbage level with nothing but the pistol and a shotgun. The pistol for long range kills and the shotgun for close up. Sure it sometimes took a clip to take down a guy at distance but then it should with a pistol. Later, once I had an AK with enough ammo and came by the same location and I was able to take the robbers out at a distance with 2-4 shots a piece.

You just can't run and gun much in this game unless you want to waste a lot of ammo. Remember its bullets not lasers!:p

I'm with ya. I tried playing on the 3rd highest difficulty level, veteran. Let me tell you, that was a big mistake. I ended up in a position I couldn't escape, going up against the military guys.

I detailed it in another thread, but the general summary is that I was tasked with defending an AI who would run into a group of 5 military guys that would waste him within 5 seconds when he rounded the corner. My only hope was to rush as fast I could in front of him, using all of my stamina, and hope to god that my 3 remaining grenades would roll in such a way that I could kill all of them. I was able to pull that off once only to discover a patrol of 3 or 4 more guys would round another corner, and waste me or my ward within seconds. The worst part of this entire situation was the fact that even if I was able to get the drop on these 4 guys, an entire clip to the chest and head, more often then not, wouldn't do the trick. And of course, as soon as they spotted me it only took 3 or 4 bullets to put me down. Talk about frustrating.

I've since restarted the game ont he standard difficulty, Stalker, and so far it's very manageable and poses a decent challenge. I shudder to think of how much damage the enemis will take on the highest difficulty.

Since the restart I've found myself having a blast, this game is right up my alley. Aside from some technical difficulties (it took me a long ass time to get a good balance between playability and eyecandy) and the aforementioned difficulty problem I love this game.

I'm with you guys too.

SPARTAN VI Gawd Hhhmm. What difficulty level are you playing. I find at a distance as long as you are behind cover and using the lean to peak around and fire, the AI is pretty poor at hitting you no matter what gun they are carrying.

I had pretty good success on the Garbage level with nothing but the pistol and a shotgun. The pistol for long range kills and the shotgun for close up. Sure it sometimes took a clip to take down a guy at distance but then it should with a pistol. Later, once I had an AK with enough ammo and came by the same location and I was able to take the robbers out at a distance with 2-4 shots a piece.

You just can't run and gun much in this game unless you want to waste a lot of ammo. Remember its bullets not lasers!:p

Hehe, "gawd" isn't part of my username. :D

I'm playing at Veteran, which is the middle difficulty. My father and I both observed this, the AI is very good at landing shots no matter the distance they're at and regardless of what weapon they're using.. and sometimes regardless of the cover. Especially frustrating when they can see me perfectly in the dark or see through brush.

At garbage specifically, when you're amongst the downed choppers and cars, I was completely behind a truck/bus when I started taking hits. Looked at my map, and noticed it was coming from the other side. Stepped back to see how he hit me, and all I could guess was the small clearing on the bottom of the truck. Unless bullets travel through thin objects in this game. I was getting excited for the kill.. I mean, the guy must've had a totally awesome gun to be hitting me from that far. So a mag or two later, I take the guys out and run over for the loot. Well, it was the same SMG that I already had.. :(

And I don't run and gun at all. I mean, I experimented with it when trying to understand the pace of the game and found that it was much more tactical.

Since then, I've manage to outsmart (duh) the military guy's raid and snatched the AK-74. Awesome weapon, so far.. :)

I have found this game to be very enjoyable except for a major bug that caused me to start a new game. The bug I encountered was during the mission Kill the Soldier, where when I was returning to the garbage zone, the game crashed over and over on the load in. If i don't do that mission it is fine. My graphics have been pretty nice with 25-30 fps in outdoor areas and 22-25 in the indoor zones. I have my settings about half-way with some tweaks here and there for high-end effects. Pretty playable at 1280-1024 with dynamic lighting, I am very impressed with how the game runs on my machine. I am gonna get down and dirty with some tweaks tonight to see if i can squeeze out some more graphical performance. Awesome game though.

It was somewhat fun. The game has many flaws though. Anyone who thinks it is fantastic has no clue about a fps game heh. I already beat it. Ill tell you right now, they needed to rethink many parts of this game. The ending I got was terrible as well. Lets not mention all the AI bugs/game bugs/performance issues. The money in the game is pointless. Fairly short game also. I definitely feel unsatisfied beating it. Whatever....

Already uninstalled and installing C&C3 now so..

Hehe, "gawd" isn't part of my username. :D

At garbage specifically, when you're amongst the downed choppers and cars, I was completely behind a truck/bus when I started taking hits.

Since then, I've manage to outsmart (duh) the military guy's raid and snatched the AK-74. Awesome weapon, so far.. :)
It is with my cut/paste job.:p

Ya, I found that fight unfair if I stayed in the yard. Instead I ran to the camp ground just over the hill behind the yard and forced them to come after me. After a couple of waves that only left a few back at the yard which were easier to pick off outside the fence.

I just beat stalker and i loved it. I havent had a game experiance like that since the original Deus Ex. The ending that i got wasn't that good but i did kinda rush throught it and didn't do any side quests. Im gonna play it again and take my time.:D

Back