Stalker Clear Sky Specs..wow

Brackle

Old Timer
MINIMAL

Microsoft® Windows® 2000(SP4)/XP/Vista (SP1)
Intel Pentium 4 2.0 Ghz / AMD XP 2200+
512 MB RAM
10 GB free hard disc space
128 MB DirectX® 8.0 compatible card / nVIDIA® GeForce™ 5700 / ATI Radeon® 9600

RECOMMENDED

Microsoft® Windows® XP/Vista (SP1)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 / AMD 64 X2 4200+
1.5 GB RAM
10 GB free hard disc space
256 MB DirectX® 9.0c compatible card / nVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800 GT / ATI Radeon® HD 2900 XT

Recommended 8800gt...0_o

fine with me...i think the 7800gt was recommended for the original right?:..one gen behind at date of release...

That seems fine to me. In an interview one of the devs said that people with older pcs could still run Clear Sky just fine, but without any fancy graphics, and it looks like that is accurate with the minimal requirements. Too see it in all its glory one would need a fairly beefy computer, as shown in the recommended.

Looks reasonable, people with ancient cards can still run it probably near min, and play, and more modern cards can run it fine.

a 100 dollar range card is the recommended, perfect target truthfully.

And conversely a 4850 should run it no problem.

I don't mind a game with high requirments/recomendations provided the graphics, physics and gameplay measure up.

This recommended looks like it's the recommended to have the game at a state that looks and plays really nicely, not like most recommended specs that are what is required to have a playable game.

In those interviews GSC put up on YouTube, Oleg Yavorski said that a machine that was able to play Shadow of Chernobyl would be able to play Clear Sky.

Specs seems great to me! I mean the 8800GT is basically an under $100 card by now, by the time the game releases the HD4850 will probably be even lower priced than the $150 AMIR!!!

I was hoping they would beef up the graphics some from Shadows. This is welcome news in my opinion.

And why the Radeon 2900XT is recommended instead of the 3850/3870? The 8800GT is a generation ahead. Maybe the engine favors ATI?

VIdeo cards are getting to be dirt cheap thanks to the competition. Fairly cheap cards can play that game no problem (9600gt & 8800gt about same price and are very close in performance(%)). I think a few 9600gt cards may be less than 100$ with a rebate.

it shouldn't be a problem for [H]ers but the recommended specs are pretty high for someone that doesn't know/build PCs.
Even though the 8800GT is pretty cheap now, its a very powerful card.

This could be the game to be force me to finally upgrade my card. Seems like prices are falling everywhere though, so that might not be a bad thing.

And why the Radeon 2900XT is recommended instead of the 3850/3870? The 8800GT is a generation ahead. Maybe the engine favors ATI?

Fuck no, the X-ray engine is in no way, shape, or form favoring ATi. The 2900XT wasn't a slow card like the 9500GT is a slow card, it used alot more power and produced alot more heat to achieve the same objective lesser NV cards at the time required for the same performance.

Stalker: SoC was a nvidia TWIWMTBP production, and I have never seen a game favor one card more than another more than in stalker, like it makes crysis look fair and balanced. Maybe they fixed that this time.

the recommended system specs are midrange to low end system, here I thought they were extreme.

Notice they recommend the 256MB 8800GT, which is miles away from the 512MB version.

Specs seems great to me! I mean the 8800GT is basically an under $100 card by now, by the time the game releases the HD4850 will probably be even lower priced than the $150 AMIR!!!

+1

Sounds like the specs are realistic & honest for a new game and the minimum should be within many folks reach.

Fuck no, the X-ray engine is in no way, shape, or form favoring ATi. Stalker: SoC was a nvidia TWIWMTBP production, and I have never seen a game favor one card more than another more than in stalker, like it makes crysis look fair and balanced.
edited a little:)

lol.....funny stuff :D

I had heard that Crossfire didn't work very well with SHoC but not that single cards were that much at a disadvantage. ATI drivers probably has more to do with how their cards handle Clear Sky than the engine does. I would imagine that they pay more attention to Clear Sky than they did SHoC. Conversely, ATI cards much more popular right now than they were when ShoC was out so if this turns out to be true the howls of protest will be loud enough I would think. Although, Nvidia is in a corner right now and they are no strangers to dirty tricks.

+1

Sounds like the specs are realistic & honest for a new game and the minimum should be within many folks reach.

My experience is that the "minimum" is usually what you need to start the game at all. But it will be a slideshow and you'll have to set every ingame option to the lowest setting and play at 640x480.

The recommended specs should usually be considered the "minimum" system specs required to enjoy the game. It's not the optimal experience but it's satisfactory. For the optimal experience, you need something beyond the recommended.

I still think the recommended specs are very reasonable. The X2 4200/E6400 are way below the $100 mark, and the 8800GT doesn't cost much more than $100. Finally the last generation of DX10 hardware has filtered down to the mainstream which is a good thing.

Now is the time for me to finally get my new PC! Looks like my 5600XT won't be able to handle it, but then again, only games I play with it are Medieval 2 Total War and Medieval 2 Total War: Kingdoms.

My experience is that the "minimum" is usually what you need to start the game at all. But it will be a slideshow and you'll have to set every ingame option to the lowest setting and play at 640x480.

The recommended specs should usually be considered the "minimum" system specs required to enjoy the game. It's not the optimal experience but it's satisfactory. For the optimal experience, you need something beyond the recommended.

Yea this is pretty common knowledge around.

Minimum = Just enough to run the game lowest everything

Recommended = something other then slideshow

the 2900xt is faster than the 3870/8800gt is why. The availability was zilch and the system power requirements and heat output was enormous for a single card.

I had SLI 8600s for the first stalker and it had troubles with 1280x1024. I can now play at 1680x1050 with my 4850 - so I can only hope that Clear Skys works well on the 4850. :\

what's so shocking about those specs? all pretty mainstream.

ALL are pretty mainstream?

What ARE you smoking? Did you SEE those min specs? AMD AthlonXP?? GeForce FX 5700?

That will RUN this game? Holy Christ, that system is more than 5 years old!

this is vrukkuabt... whoops that was supposed to be brilliant! Well for me anyway cuz i get to the recommended specs. When i played stalker for the first time i only had a 7300gt back then. I have to say now that i have an 8800 gt it serves it justice

the 2900xt is faster than the 3870/8800gt is why. The availability was zilch and the system power requirements and heat output was enormous for a single card.

Actually the 3870 is about 10% faster han the 2900XT, while the 3850 is about 10% slower. None of those cards can match the performance of the 8800GT however.

Also, in my experience the E6400 @ 2.13 GHz should be a little faster than the X2 4200+ @ 2.2 GHz.

So either their engine favours ATI cards and AMD CPUs, or whoever decided on the recommended specs didn't fully understand the relative performance of those CPUs and videocards.

I don't get the "wow" part of the thread title.....nothing is amazing about those requirements.

This game is officially on my buy list.
My upcoming 4870X2 (or maybe GTX 290) should be able to rock this game.

I'm trying to get the original to work so I can see how it plays on 2x 4870's when I can get it to actually freakin start I'll post some numbers at 1920x1080 for you.

A 8800GTS can be had for $90-100 used, which can then be oc'ed and reach almost GTX speeds if not better. I don't see the wow either.

Back